Profiling firefox plugin

When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One of the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure out which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?
0
salilsurendran
10/12/2017 9:15:02 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24017 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 10/12/17 5:15 PM, salilsurendran@gmail.com wrote:
> When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One of the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure out which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?

What version of Firefox on what platform? Windows, Mac, Linux?

What web site?

You can restart in Safe Mode and see if that helps.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-hangs-or-not-responding>

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
10/12/2017 11:01:38 PM
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:15:02 -0700 (PDT), salilsurendran@gmail.com
wrote:

>When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns =
into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One of =
the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure out =
which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?=20

Turn them off, one at a time, until the problem goes away. When it
does, you will have found the problem.
0
Ken
10/12/2017 11:42:42 PM
In message
<mailman.1253.1507851796.16833.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Ken
Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> writes:
>On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:15:02 -0700 (PDT), salilsurendran@gmail.com
>wrote:
>
>>When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns
>>into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One of
>>the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure out
>>which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?
>

>Turn them off, one at a time, until the problem goes away. When it
>does, you will have found the problem.

A binary search (turning on/off half of them) is quicker than one at a
time (-:

I like to think of her as Mary Poppins's evil twin - Michelle Gomez, on the
character "Missy" (female version of the Master?) she plays in Doctor Who
[RT 2017/6/24-30]
In article
   Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:15:02 -0700 (PDT), salilsurendran@gmail.com
> wrote:

> >When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns
> >into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One of
> >the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure out
> >which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?

> Turn them off, one at a time, until the problem goes away. When it
> does, you will have found the problem.

Turn them *all* off. Run Firefox. Is it now okay?

Then apply the 50% rule to turn 'em back on... and so on... until the
errant item is revealed, it involves a lot Less steps.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
<G6JPG-255@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message=20
><mailman.1253.1507851796.16833.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Ken=20
>Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> writes:
>>On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:15:02 -0700 (PDT), salilsurendran@gmail.com
>>wrote:
>>
>>>When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns=20
>>>into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One of=
=20
>>>the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure out=
=20
>>>which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?
>>

>>Turn them off, one at a time, until the problem goes away. When it
>>does, you will have found the problem.
>
>A binary search (turning on/off half of them) is quicker than one at a=20
>time (-:

Yes, your suggestion is better than mine.

0
Ken
10/13/2017 3:59:51 PM
On 12/10/2017 22:15, salilsurendran@gmail.com wrote:

> When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One of the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure out which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?

Please use Firefox to go to this address:

about:support

If you're happy to share what's there:

1. copy the raw data
2. paste it to <https://pastebin.mozilla.org/>
3. please let us have the address of the paste.

Thanks.

(Advanced diagnosis might include Gecko Profiler, which is available from <https://perf-html.io/>, but it will probably be simpler and quicker to take a look at a list of enabled extensions; the version of Firefox; OS; whether multiprocess windows are allowed; platform; and so on.)
0
Graham
11/4/2017 12:33:59 PM
[]
>> When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns
>>into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One of
>>the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure out
>>which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?
[]
Do a binary search: disable half your plugins (restarting FF if
necessary) and see if it still does it; if it does, disable half the
remainder, if not re-enable half the ones you disabled, and so on until
you pin it down. This assumes it really is one of the plugins that is
causing the problem.

Note that unless you have a good memory you'll probably have to make a
note of which ones you have and have not disabled, since Firefox
presents the plugins in a different order one you disable some of them
(IIRR it shows the enabled ones higher in the list).

There's a small chance it is the _interaction_ between two or more
plugins that's the cause: the above will at least isolate one of them.

Heaven forbid today's audience should feel bombarded with information or
worse, lectured. Dont'scare the horses by waving facts around.
- David Butcher, RT 2014/11/29-12/5
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> []
>>> When I use firefox it slows down every 10 seconds and my mouse turns
>>> into an hourglass. I have tried closing and restarting firefox. One
>>> of the plugins is causing this problem. Any profiler that will figure
>>> out which plugin is consuming Firefox resources?
> []
> Do a binary search: disable half your plugins (restarting FF if
> necessary) and see if it still does it; if it does, disable half the
> remainder, if not re-enable half the ones you disabled, and so on until
> you pin it down. This assumes it really is one of the plugins that is
> causing the problem.
>
> Note that unless you have a good memory you'll probably have to make a
> note of which ones you have and have not disabled, since Firefox
> presents the plugins in a different order one you disable some of them
> (IIRR it shows the enabled ones higher in the list).
>
> There's a small chance it is the _interaction_ between two or more
> plugins that's the cause: the above will at least isolate one of them.

There are only two plugins now.  SeaMonkey and Pale Moon come with
Citrix, so I suppose Firefox comes with it as well.  The other is Flash.
  Disable one of them and see if the problem disappears.

0
EE
11/4/2017 7:24:00 PM
On 2017-11-04 3:24 PM, EE wrote:
> There are only two plugins now.  SeaMonkey and Pale Moon come with
> Citrix, so I suppose Firefox comes with it as well.  The other is Flash.
>   Disable one of them and see if the problem disappears.

Firefox does *not* come with Citrix.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 11/5/17 12:43 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2017-11-04 3:24 PM, EE wrote:
>> There are only two plugins now.  SeaMonkey and Pale Moon come with
>> Citrix, so I suppose Firefox comes with it as well.  The other is Flash.
>>    Disable one of them and see if the problem disappears.
>
> Firefox does *not* come with Citrix.

Neither does Pale Moon.

--
Caver1
0
On 11/5/17 2:08 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 11/5/17 12:43 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> On 2017-11-04 3:24 PM, EE wrote:
>>> There are only two plugins now.  SeaMonkey and Pale Moon come with
>>> Citrix, so I suppose Firefox comes with it as well.  The other is Flash.
>>>    Disable one of them and see if the problem disappears.
>>
>> Firefox does *not* come with Citrix.
>>

> Neither does Pale Moon.

If you get Citrix, the browsers aren't bundled?

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
11/5/2017 7:45:57 PM
On 11/5/17 2:45 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 11/5/17 2:08 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Firefox does *not* come with Citrix.
>>>

>> Neither does Pale Moon.
>>

> If you get Citrix, the browsers aren't bundled?

No you get Citrix to add to your system. When you contact your work web
site then Citrix is loaded. Regardless whether it's Chrome, IE or Firefox.

--
Caver1
0
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 11/5/17 2:08 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Firefox does *not* come with Citrix.
>>>

>> Neither does Pale Moon.
>>

> If you get Citrix, the browsers aren't bundled?

Does MacOS Sierra come with Citrix, then?
I definitely have Citrix with both SeaMonkey and Pale Moon.

0
EE
11/6/2017 9:12:13 PM
On 11/6/17 4:12 PM, EE wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Neither does Pale Moon.
>>>

>> If you get Citrix, the browsers aren't bundled?
>>
> Does MacOS Sierra come with Citrix, then?
> I definitely have Citrix with both SeaMonkey and Pale Moon.

I did a search and can no reference of Citrix being part of the Mac OS.
You can download Citrix for the Mac Os from Citrix and install it.

--
Caver1
0
On 04/11/2017 19:24, EE wrote:

> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> []
>> []
>> Do a binary search: disable half your plugins (restarting FF if necessary) and see if it still does it; if it does, disable half the remainder, if not re-enable half the ones you disabled, and so on until you pin it down. This assumes it really is one of the plugins that is causing the problem.
>>
>> Note that unless you have a good memory you'll probably have to make a note of which ones you have and have not disabled, since Firefox presents the plugins in a different order one you disable some of them (IIRR it shows the enabled ones higher in the list).
>>
>> There's a small chance it is the _interaction_ between two or more plugins that's the cause: the above will at least isolate one of them.
>
> There are only two plugins now.  SeaMonkey and Pale Moon come with Citrix, so I suppose Firefox comes with it as well.  The other is Flash.  Disable one of them and see if the problem disappears.

Where Citrix software is installed alongside a web browser, it's commonplace for the Citrix software to be plugged in to (not distributed with) the browser.

It's possible, sometimes preferable, to have Firefox use the Citrix software without the plug.

The five screenshots at <https://photos.app.goo.gl/HGaNU4Ox4v9JH1jc2> summarise things from a FreeBSD perspective.

/usr/local/share/applications/citrix_ica.desktop
is a desktop file that I created to allow Firefox to more easily work with the `wfica` file that results from installation of net/citrix_ica

– and I guess that _some_ users of Citrix Receiver on Linux will have a comparable setup.

Related: <https://www.freshports.org/net/citrix_ica>, which looks complicated at a glance – FreshPorts pages are naturally verbose – but this Citrix software is actually quite easy to install. Just, there's an unusual requirement to download something specific from a Citrix area; a thing that can not be redistributed.

----

Last but not least, for readers who may be following this thread from its troubleshooting origins, a side note:

-there's sometimes confusion around extensions and plug-ins.

The two are quite different. In Firefox terminology, 'add-ons' is an umbrella for;

-appearances a.k.a. themes a.k.a. personas
- extensions
- plug-ins

– and so on, and extensions for Firefox Quantum (57+) may be more troublesome than legacy extensions for Firefox 56.x, but that's a story for another day :-)
0
Graham
11/7/2017 8:19:51 AM
On 11/7/17 3:19 AM, Graham Perrin wrote:
> On 04/11/2017 19:24, EE wrote:
>
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> []
>>> []
>>> Do a binary search: disable half your plugins (restarting FF if
>>> necessary) and see if it still does it; if it does, disable half the
>>> remainder, if not re-enable half the ones you disabled, and so on
>>> until you pin it down. This assumes it really is one of the plugins
>>> that is causing the problem.
>>>
>>> Note that unless you have a good memory you'll probably have to make
>>> a note of which ones you have and have not disabled, since Firefox
>>> presents the plugins in a different order one you disable some of
>>> them (IIRR it shows the enabled ones higher in the list).
>>>
>>> There's a small chance it is the _interaction_ between two or more
>>> plugins that's the cause: the above will at least isolate one of them.
>>
>> There are only two plugins now.  SeaMonkey and Pale Moon come with
>> Citrix, so I suppose Firefox comes with it as well.  The other is
>> Flash.  Disable one of them and see if the problem disappears.
>
> Where Citrix software is installed alongside a web browser, it's
> commonplace for the Citrix software to be plugged in to (not distributed
> with) the browser.
>
> It's possible, sometimes preferable, to have Firefox use the Citrix
> software without the plug.
>
> The five screenshots at <https://photos.app.goo.gl/HGaNU4Ox4v9JH1jc2>
> summarise things from a FreeBSD perspective.
>
> /usr/local/share/applications/citrix_ica.desktop
> is a desktop file that I created to allow Firefox to more easily work
> with the `wfica` file that results from installation of net/citrix_ica
>
> – and I guess that _some_ users of Citrix Receiver on Linux will have a
> comparable setup.
>
> Related: <https://www.freshports.org/net/citrix_ica>, which looks
> complicated at a glance – FreshPorts pages are naturally verbose – but
> this Citrix software is actually quite easy to install. Just, there's an
> unusual requirement to download something specific from a Citrix area; a
> thing that can not be redistributed.
>
> ----
>
> Last but not least, for readers who may be following this thread from
> its troubleshooting origins, a side note:
>
> -there's sometimes confusion around extensions and plug-ins.
>
> The two are quite different. In Firefox terminology, 'add-ons' is an
> umbrella for;
>
> -appearances a.k.a. themes a.k.a. personas
> - extensions
> - plug-ins
>
> – and so on, and extensions for Firefox Quantum (57+) may be more
> troublesome than legacy extensions for Firefox 56.x, but that's a story
> for another day :-)

Looking at the images, Citrix isn't a plugin or extension, but appears
to be a search engine.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
11/7/2017 1:26:54 PM
On 07/11/2017 13:26, WaltS48 wrote:

> Looking at the images, Citrix isn't a plugin or extension, but appears to be a search engine.

Nope, not a search engine, Citrix Receiver is as described by Citrix:

<https://www.citrix.com/products/receiver/>
0
Graham