Profiles question

MS-Windows 7 & 10

It's the time of year when I do some serious Hard disk housekeeping, and
ATM. I'm working through all my Mozilla stuff removing old unwanted
version installs, old profiles etc, etc...

Yes... By default Mozilla profiles are stored in
"C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"

But what I'd like to know is WHY does it also store and update a copy of
the profiles in... "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\

I've obviously know where Moz stores profiles (Roaming) for years, but
it's only this year that I realised it also puts a copy in "Local".

Bit of a bummer security wise... When this computer was returned to the
dealer for repairs earlier this year I excised the "Roaming" profile for
security reasons, then when the computer was returned, I put it back.

Not realising at that time, all my 888king login passwords etc, were still
on the computer in "Local".

So why is this extra copy in Local?

Thanks

Dor

0
Ormail
12/7/2017 7:47:06 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24021 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 12/7/2017 2:47 AM, Ormail wrote:
> MS-Windows 7 & 10
>
> It's the time of year when I do some serious Hard disk housekeeping, and
> ATM. I'm working through all my Mozilla stuff removing old unwanted
> version installs, old profiles etc, etc...
>
> Yes... By default Mozilla profiles are stored in
> "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"
>
> But what I'd like to know is WHY does it also store and update a copy of

> the profiles in... "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\
>
> I've obviously know where Moz stores profiles (Roaming) for years, but
> it's only this year that I realised it also puts a copy in "Local".
>
> Bit of a bummer security wise... When this computer was returned to the
> dealer for repairs earlier this year I excised the "Roaming" profile for
> security reasons, then when the computer was returned, I put it back.
>
> Not realising at that time, all my 888king login passwords etc, were still
> on the computer in "Local".
>
> So why is this extra copy in Local?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dor

I have wonder about this too so decided to do a little research. First
on Google I found this article

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/919542

Using File Explorer I compared the contents of the local and roaming profile

Like the article says it appears the local profile is Firefox's caches,
or information that does not need to be backed up.

If you set Clear Cache on Exit to the local file should remove all but
the basic files with no user information.

To test this I used Firefox for a period opening multiple tabs, and
reviewing several web pages.   When I checked the size of

C:\Users\userid\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

with Firefox open its size was 48.5MB and 809 files

When I closed Firefox and waited a couple of minutes,

The size of the Profile folder was 25.3MB and 238 files.

So it looks like I can do as I did before I realized it existed and
ignore it.
0
Keith
12/7/2017 1:42:39 PM
In article <mailman.8.1512654189.27116.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Keith Nuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/7/2017 2:47 AM, Ormail wrote:
> > MS-Windows 7 & 10
> > It's the time of year when I do some serious Hard disk housekeeping,
> > and ATM. I'm working through all my Mozilla stuff removing old
> > unwanted version installs, old profiles etc, etc...
> >
> > Yes... By default Mozilla profiles are stored in
> > "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"
> >
> > But what I'd like to know is WHY does it also store and update a copy
> > of

> > the profiles in... "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\

[Snip]

> > So why is this extra copy in Local?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Dor
> >
> I have wonder about this too so decided to do a little research. First
> on Google I found this article

> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/919542

> Using File Explorer I compared the contents of the local and roaming
> profile

> Like the article says it appears the local profile is Firefox's caches,
> or information that does not need to be backed up.

> If you set Clear Cache on Exit to the local file should remove all but
> the basic files with no user information.

> To test this I used Firefox for a period opening multiple tabs, and
> reviewing several web pages.   When I checked the size of

> C:\Users\userid\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

> with Firefox open its size was 48.5MB and 809 files

> When I closed Firefox and waited a couple of minutes,

> The size of the Profile folder was 25.3MB and 238 files.

> So it looks like I can do as I did before I realized it existed and
> ignore it.

Aha!  An excellent illumination, appreciated.

I now understand...

Thanks

Dor

0