Problems moving to Quantum

I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.

1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
Quantum.

Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
back?


2) She has her bookmarks displayed in the side bar, but the spaces between
the lines of bookmarks is substantially wider than in her old Fx side bar
display.

Like:

Freds Shop

Helen's superstore

The Tool Centre

It looks like double spacing to me...

Q: How does she get the display back to a single space type gap?

Like:

Freds Shop
Helen's superstore
The Tool Centre


Thanks
Dor

0
Ormail
6/6/2018 6:30:25 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

38 Replies
132 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 15

On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
> 
> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
> Quantum.
> 
> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
> back?
Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines 
can be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the 
line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like, 
unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.
0
Keith
6/6/2018 8:53:32 PM
On 6/6/2018 4:53 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>
>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>> Quantum.
>>
>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>> back?
> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines can 
> be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the line it 
> drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like, unlike other 
> icons you can put on the toolbar.

I was going to suggest that too but when I looked on my  61.0b11 just to 
verify that I gave the proper advice I found that there is no divider to be 
dragged. Don't have a clue as to when it disappeared from the screen of 
draggable items but it certainly is gone on my version.
0
John
6/6/2018 9:38:57 PM
On 06/06/2018 05:38 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> On 6/6/2018 4:53 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite 
>>> well,
>>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>
>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped 
>>> sets of
>>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>> Quantum.
>>>
>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>>> back?
>> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines 
>> can be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the 
>> line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like, 
>> unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.
> 
> I was going to suggest that too but when I looked on my  61.0b11 just to 
> verify that I gave the proper advice I found that there is no divider to 
> be dragged. Don't have a clue as to when it disappeared from the screen 
> of draggable items but it certainly is gone on my version.
Ditto but I'm on Linux and have a complex userChome.css and I may block 
some items so I wasn't going to complain.

However there is a flexible space that could be used.  It's not a line 
of course but it does provide some division.  I do the same thing in 
Thunderbird to keep the Calendar icon away from other icons.

0
Big
6/6/2018 9:56:33 PM
On 06-Jun-2018 16:53, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>
>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>> Quantum.
>>
>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>> back?
> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines
> can be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the
> line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like,
> unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.

No such thing available in customize anymore. Been gone for quite a 
while. If you have some you must be using an old version or some extension.
0
EnDeeGee
6/6/2018 10:08:04 PM
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, in mozilla.support.firefox, Ormail
wrote: 

>
>I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
>but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>
>1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
>toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>Quantum.
>
>Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>back?
>
>
>2) She has her bookmarks displayed in the side bar, but the spaces between
>the lines of bookmarks is substantially wider than in her old Fx side bar
>display.
>
>Like:
>
>Freds Shop
>
>Helen's superstore
>
>The Tool Centre
>
>It looks like double spacing to me...
>
>Q: How does she get the display back to a single space type gap?
>
>Like:
>
>Freds Shop
>Helen's superstore
>The Tool Centre
>
>

What OS are you using? I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox does neither of
those things.

If the separators got deleted somehow, you can add separators by pressing
CTRL+SHFT+B and adding them to the bookmarks toolbar in the Library
manager. You do this by right clicking in the menu itself on the right
and choosing "New Separator." The separator will appear above where you
clicked. They should then show up. If they don't, there's something wrong
with your install.

If that's the case. You may need to try a browser refresh. Back up your
original Firefox profile (Google it) and type about:support in the URL
bar. There's an option to "Refresh Firefox." This will start with a fresh
profile and prefs.js that is set to all the defaults for a fresh install.

You can also start a new profile first, before refreshingby launching
Firefox with:

firefox.exe -profilemanager

(in Windows. You can make a shortcut if you like. Linux just requires the
same switch when you start it from the console. Don't know Mac.)

You can set a default to start up with the profile manager every time in
the profile manager itself. Then you can play with as many test profiles
as you like.

If none of that works, you can try to completely uninstall and reinstall
Firefox, and then paste your old profile into the profiles folder.
Firefox will use it as the default on a first launch.

Good luck. Let us know the results.

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/6/2018 10:18:15 PM
On 6/6/18 6:08 PM, EnDeeGee wrote:
> On 06-Jun-2018 16:53, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite 
>>> well,
>>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>
>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped 
>>> sets of
>>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>> Quantum.
>>>
>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>>> back?
>> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.�� The separator lines
>> can be dragged to the location of you choice.� Note when you drag the
>> line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like,
>> unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.
> 
> No such thing available in customize anymore. Been gone for quite a 
> while. If you have some you must be using an old version or some extension.

I have FF 60.0.1 64 bit on Mac OS X, and still have the Separators in 
the Toolbar Customize panel. No extension.
0
Retired
6/6/2018 10:28:58 PM
On 06-Jun-2018 18:28, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:
> On 6/6/18 6:08 PM, EnDeeGee wrote:
>> On 06-Jun-2018 16:53, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>>> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite
>>>> well,
>>>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>>
>>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped
>>>> sets of
>>>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>>> Quantum.
>>>>
>>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get
>>>> 'em
>>>> back?
>>> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines
>>> can be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the
>>> line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like,
>>> unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.
>>
>> No such thing available in customize anymore. Been gone for quite a
>> while. If you have some you must be using an old version or some
>> extension.
>
> I have FF 60.0.1 64 bit on Mac OS X, and still have the Separators in
> the Toolbar Customize panel. No extension.

I have FF 60.0.2 64bits on Windows 10 Pro and there's *NO* separators in 
Toolbar Customize Panel and haven't seen any in a few versions.
0
EnDeeGee
6/6/2018 10:49:55 PM
On 6/6/2018 6:18 PM, Hartdonor wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, in mozilla.support.firefox, Ormail
> wrote:
> 
>>
>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>
>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>> Quantum.
>>
>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>> back?
>>
>>
>> 2) She has her bookmarks displayed in the side bar, but the spaces between
>> the lines of bookmarks is substantially wider than in her old Fx side bar
>> display.
>>
>> Like:
>>
>> Freds Shop
>>
>> Helen's superstore
>>
>> The Tool Centre
>>
>> It looks like double spacing to me...
>>
>> Q: How does she get the display back to a single space type gap?
>>
>> Like:
>>
>> Freds Shop
>> Helen's superstore
>> The Tool Centre
>>
>>
> 
> What OS are you using? I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox does neither of
> those things.
> 
> If the separators got deleted somehow, you can add separators by pressing
> CTRL+SHFT+B and adding them to the bookmarks toolbar in the Library
> manager. You do this by right clicking in the menu itself on the right
> and choosing "New Separator." The separator will appear above where you
> clicked. They should then show up. If they don't, there's something wrong
> with your install.
> 
> If that's the case. You may need to try a browser refresh. Back up your
> original Firefox profile (Google it) and type about:support in the URL
> bar. There's an option to "Refresh Firefox." This will start with a fresh
> profile and prefs.js that is set to all the defaults for a fresh install.
> 
> You can also start a new profile first, before refreshingby launching
> Firefox with:
> 
> firefox.exe -profilemanager
> 
> (in Windows. You can make a shortcut if you like. Linux just requires the
> same switch when you start it from the console. Don't know Mac.)
> 
> You can set a default to start up with the profile manager every time in
> the profile manager itself. Then you can play with as many test profiles
> as you like.
> 
> If none of that works, you can try to completely uninstall and reinstall
> Firefox, and then paste your old profile into the profiles folder.
> Firefox will use it as the default on a first launch.
> 
> Good luck. Let us know the results.
> 

I do believe that the OP's original complaint was not about separators in 
bookmarks but the short vertical separators that you used to be able to 
drag into the toolbar area. As others have pointed out they seem to still 
be there in some versions but others (me included) have found them missing 
in the Windows version. An oversight that should, I hope, be brought to the 
attention of the devs.
0
John
6/6/2018 11:12:39 PM
On 6/6/2018 5:38 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> On 6/6/2018 4:53 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite 
>>> well,
>>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>
>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped 
>>> sets of
>>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>> Quantum.
>>>
>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>>> back?
>> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines 
>> can be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the 
>> line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like, 
>> unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.
> 
> I was going to suggest that too but when I looked on my  61.0b11 just to 
> verify that I gave the proper advice I found that there is no divider to 
> be dragged. Don't have a clue as to when it disappeared from the screen 
> of draggable items but it certainly is gone on my version.
Before I responded, I did the same thing.  The divider is there in 
version FF 60.01 release version

0
Keith
6/6/2018 11:29:07 PM
On 06-Jun-2018 19:29, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 6/6/2018 5:38 PM, John McGaw wrote:
>> On 6/6/2018 4:53 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>>> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite
>>>> well,
>>>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>>
>>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped
>>>> sets of
>>>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>>> Quantum.
>>>>
>>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get
>>>> 'em
>>>> back?
>>> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.� �  The separator
>>> lines can be dragged to the location of you choice.�  Note when you
>>> drag the line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as
>>> you like, unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.
>>
>> I was going to suggest that too but when I looked on my�  61.0b11 just
>> to verify that I gave the proper advice I found that there is no
>> divider to be dragged. Don't have a clue as to when it disappeared
>> from the screen of draggable items but it certainly is gone on my
>> version.
> Before I responded, I did the same thing.  The divider is there in
> version FF 60.01 release version
>

There's no divider in windows 10 Pro Firefox 60

http://tinypic.com/r/4i0n7d/9

0
EnDeeGee
6/7/2018 12:10:51 AM
On 06/06/2018 04:53 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>
>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>> Quantum.
>>
>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>> back?
> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines 
> can be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the 
> line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like, 
> unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.


I see no separators in Firefox 60.0.1 customize.

-- 
Caver1
0
Caver1
6/7/2018 12:38:03 AM
Ormail wrote on 6/6/2018 12:30 PM:
> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
>  SNIP

All such questions should be directed to 
http://rumpole_of_the_bailey.com where the specialized advise you need 
will be available.
-- 
Jeff Barnett
0
Jeff
6/7/2018 4:01:06 AM
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 19:12:39 -0400, in mozilla.support.firefox, John McGaw
wrote: 

>On 6/6/2018 6:18 PM, Hartdonor wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, in mozilla.support.firefox, Ormail
>> wrote:
>> 
>>>
>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
>>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>
>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
>>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>> Quantum.
>>>
>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>>> back?
>>>
>>>
>>> 2) She has her bookmarks displayed in the side bar, but the spaces between
>>> the lines of bookmarks is substantially wider than in her old Fx side bar
>>> display.
>>>
>>> Like:
>>>
>>> Freds Shop
>>>
>>> Helen's superstore
>>>
>>> The Tool Centre
>>>
>>> It looks like double spacing to me...
>>>
>>> Q: How does she get the display back to a single space type gap?
>>>
>>> Like:
>>>
>>> Freds Shop
>>> Helen's superstore
>>> The Tool Centre
>>>
>>>
>> 
>> What OS are you using? I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox does neither of
>> those things.
>> 
>> If the separators got deleted somehow, you can add separators by pressing
>> CTRL+SHFT+B and adding them to the bookmarks toolbar in the Library
>> manager. You do this by right clicking in the menu itself on the right
>> and choosing "New Separator." The separator will appear above where you
>> clicked. They should then show up. If they don't, there's something wrong
>> with your install.
>> 
>> If that's the case. You may need to try a browser refresh. Back up your
>> original Firefox profile (Google it) and type about:support in the URL
>> bar. There's an option to "Refresh Firefox." This will start with a fresh
>> profile and prefs.js that is set to all the defaults for a fresh install.
>> 
>> You can also start a new profile first, before refreshingby launching
>> Firefox with:
>> 
>> firefox.exe -profilemanager
>> 
>> (in Windows. You can make a shortcut if you like. Linux just requires the
>> same switch when you start it from the console. Don't know Mac.)
>> 
>> You can set a default to start up with the profile manager every time in
>> the profile manager itself. Then you can play with as many test profiles
>> as you like.
>> 
>> If none of that works, you can try to completely uninstall and reinstall
>> Firefox, and then paste your old profile into the profiles folder.
>> Firefox will use it as the default on a first launch.
>> 
>> Good luck. Let us know the results.
>> 
>
>I do believe that the OP's original complaint was not about separators in 
>bookmarks but the short vertical separators that you used to be able to 
>drag into the toolbar area. As others have pointed out they seem to still 
>be there in some versions but others (me included) have found them missing 
>in the Windows version. An oversight that should, I hope, be brought to the 
>attention of the devs.

Yeah. I'm talking about the vertical separators on the bookmarks
*toolbar*. You can insert them in the Library manager as I described. The
Bookmarks Toolbar is included as a menu item in the manager. In vanilla
Firefox, you can't put separators on the main toolbar (the one with the
address bar), and I think that's been the case since at least, IIRC,
Aurora hit, let alone Quantum, and possibly a longer while back. I
therefore presumed he meant the bookmarks toolbar.

If there are separators for the main toolbar showing up on someone's
Quantum install, I'm surprised. It would have to be an extension. If he
had it with an Aurora install, it would likely be the result of an
extension (probably one that relies on XUL), because that's just not
Firefox's default behavior, and IIRC it hasn't been for a long while. I'm
guessing, in that case, that he had a toolbar modifying extension that
can't be done in WebExtensions, which would explain why it disappeared in
Quantum.

So that's my best guess, not knowing what extensions he had installed or
even what operating system he's using.

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/7/2018 4:15:19 AM
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 20:10:51 -0400, in mozilla.support.firefox, EnDeeGee
wrote: 

>On 06-Jun-2018 19:29, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> On 6/6/2018 5:38 PM, John McGaw wrote:
>>> On 6/6/2018 4:53 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>>>> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>>>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite
>>>>> well,
>>>>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>>>
>>>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped
>>>>> sets of
>>>>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>>>> Quantum.
>>>>>
>>>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get
>>>>> 'em
>>>>> back?
>>>> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.� �  The separator
>>>> lines can be dragged to the location of you choice.�  Note when you
>>>> drag the line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as
>>>> you like, unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.
>>>
>>> I was going to suggest that too but when I looked on my�  61.0b11 just
>>> to verify that I gave the proper advice I found that there is no
>>> divider to be dragged. Don't have a clue as to when it disappeared
>>> from the screen of draggable items but it certainly is gone on my
>>> version.
>> Before I responded, I did the same thing.  The divider is there in
>> version FF 60.01 release version
>>
>
>There's no divider in windows 10 Pro Firefox 60
>
>http://tinypic.com/r/4i0n7d/9

Bingo. There's no longer a "|" separator available on the main toolbar.
That's not default Firefox. There is only the flexible space.

You *can* have "|" separators on the bookmarks toolbar.

Keith, if it appears in your version, then give us a list of your
extensions, because that's how you have that.

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/7/2018 4:18:17 AM
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 18:28:58 -0400, in mozilla.support.firefox,
"\"Retired"@home.com wrote: 

>On 6/6/18 6:08 PM, EnDeeGee wrote:
>> On 06-Jun-2018 16:53, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>>> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
>>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite 
>>>> well,
>>>> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>>
>>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped 
>>>> sets of
>>>> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>>> Quantum.
>>>>
>>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>>>> back?
>>> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.�� The separator lines
>>> can be dragged to the location of you choice.� Note when you drag the
>>> line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like,
>>> unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.
>> 
>> No such thing available in customize anymore. Been gone for quite a 
>> while. If you have some you must be using an old version or some extension.
>
>I have FF 60.0.1 64 bit on Mac OS X, and still have the Separators in 
>the Toolbar Customize panel. No extension.

Yeah. Don't use Mac, so maybe it's there? Don't really use Linux, either.

In Windows, it's been gone a long time. I think since Aurora.

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/7/2018 4:19:28 AM
On 2018-06-06 20:10, EnDeeGee <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> There's no divider in windows 10 Pro Firefox 60
> http://tinypic.com/r/4i0n7d/9

Wow, THAT's what the icons look like in Quantum? Simple ugly black and 
white line drawings? Jesus...

Regards,

-- 
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo  Data, ahh, I think Spot needs a litter box. -Troi

0
B00ze
6/7/2018 5:57:19 AM
In article <mailman.752.1528318445.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Keith Nuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:

> > 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets
> > of toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available
> > in Quantum.
> > 
> > Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get
> > 'em back?

> Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines 
> can be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the 
> line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like, 
> unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.

Yes, aware the lines can be dragged, but dragging the lines does NOT make
a copy, I have not found a way to add to or duplicate those lines...
Particularly as She doesn't have any line to work with in the first place.

Dor

0
Ormail
6/7/2018 6:12:41 AM
In article <mailman.753.1528322915.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   EnDeeGee <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 06-Jun-2018 16:53, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> > On 6/6/2018 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:

> >> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get
> >> 'em back?

> > Right click on the toolbar and select Customize.   The separator lines
> > can be dragged to the location of you choice.  Note when you drag the
> > line it drags a copy so you can have as many separators as you like,
> > unlike other icons you can put on the toolbar.

> No such thing available in customize anymore. Been gone for quite a
> while. If you have some you must be using an old version or some
> extension.

SWMBO aside for a moment.

I have two Win 10 computers, identical Firefox versions 60.0.2
Using the same Theme.

One machine has a "user" toolbar (Bookmarks toolbar, Not the Menubar) and
a number of black separator lines separating groups of tool bar icons.

icon | icon | icon | etc...

These separator lines remain even if I change to other themes.

The other computer same theme does not have any separator lines showing,
or available from anywhere.

Back to the first machine with the separator lines:
The separator lines, can obviously be moved to where I need them with the
Customize window open, but they cannot be copied, reproduced or any
additional ones made.

As a test I dragged one into the Customize window to see if, like unused
icons it would appear there, but no, it just vanished never to be seen
again.

So I'm one separator line down...  :-(

We are talking about Firefox Quantum the thing with very few usable
addons/extensions and both computers have the same couple of
addons/extensions.

Dor

0
Ormail
6/7/2018 7:00:48 AM
In article <mailman.720.1528323527.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Hartdonor <hartdonor@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, in mozilla.support.firefox, Ormail
> wrote: 

[Snip]

> What OS are you using? I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox does neither of
> those things.

> If the separators got deleted somehow, you can add separators by pressing
> CTRL+SHFT+B and adding them to the bookmarks toolbar in the Library
> manager. You do this by right clicking in the menu itself on the right
> and choosing "New Separator." The separator will appear above where you
> clicked. They should then show up. If they don't, there's something wrong
> with your install.

[Snip]

> Good luck. Let us know the results.

Thank you for your thoughts Hd., but I have been playing with Firefox
since before it became version 1.0  ;-)

You misunderstand her question...
It is nothing to do with horizontal separators in Bookmarks, it's about
vertical separators in the User Toolbar.

Icon | Icon | Icon | etc.

Thanks
Dor

0
Ormail
6/7/2018 7:08:01 AM
In article <mailman.756.1528327779.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Keith Nuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[Snippy]

> Before I responded, I did the same thing.  The divider is there in 
> version FF 60.01 release version

As you will note from my earlier posting in this set...

Two computers running Win 10 and Firefox same version, same
addons/extensions, same theme, one has the vertical separators the other
does not.

The machine of SWMBO also does not have the separators.

Dor

0
Ormail
6/7/2018 7:12:55 AM
In article <mailman.762.1528344951.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Hartdonor <hartdonor@hotmail.com> wrote:

[Snippy]

> Yeah. I'm talking about the vertical separators on the bookmarks
> *toolbar*. You can insert them in the Library manager as I described. The
> Bookmarks Toolbar is included as a menu item in the manager. In vanilla
> Firefox, you can't put separators on the main toolbar (the one with the
> address bar), and I think that's been the case since at least, IIRC,
> Aurora hit, let alone Quantum, and possibly a longer while back. I
> therefore presumed he meant the bookmarks toolbar.

Originally you were talking about Bookmarks and a horizontal separator.

I'm talking on behalf of SWMBO about the vertical separator in the User
toolbar.

> If there are separators for the main toolbar showing up on someone's
> Quantum install, I'm surprised. It would have to be an extension. If he
> had it with an Aurora install, it would likely be the result of an
> extension (probably one that relies on XUL), because that's just not
> Firefox's default behavior, and IIRC it hasn't been for a long while. I'm
> guessing, in that case, that he had a toolbar modifying extension that
> can't be done in WebExtensions, which would explain why it disappeared in
> Quantum.

There are no legacy extensions on either of my machines, one has the bars
one does not.

> So that's my best guess, not knowing what extensions he had installed or
> even what operating system he's using.

I've just had a peek in my trousers, I am a He and I don't identify as
anything other that what my Genes say I am, but... the original posting
had me explaining, I'm writing in behalf of SWMBO... Not HWMBO.  ;-)

He is using Win 10 on both computers, She is using Win 7 Pro.

Thanks.

Dor

0
Ormail
6/7/2018 7:36:06 AM
On 07/06/2018 6.57 am, B00ze wrote:
> On 2018-06-06 20:10, EnDeeGee <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> 
>> There's no divider in windows 10 Pro Firefox 60
>> http://tinypic.com/r/4i0n7d/9
> 
> Wow, THAT's what the icons look like in Quantum? Simple ugly black and 
> white line drawings? Jesus...
> 
> Regards,
> 

Too true. Has anyone found a way to change them to look like they used
to pre Australis - or for that matter anything that is larger, coloured
(old eyes) and user friendly? I've been looking through hundreds of
so-called themes but I can't find anything so far. Maybe it can't be
done now? If so, it's a pity - Quantum is otherwise excellent.

-- 
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.
0
Bob
6/7/2018 8:24:46 AM
On Thu Jun 07 2018 00:19:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Hartdonor
<hartdonor@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 18:28:58 -0400, in mozilla.support.firefox,
> "\"Retired"@home.com wrote: 
>> I have FF 60.0.1 64 bit on Mac OS X, and still have the Separators in 
>> the Toolbar Customize panel. No extension.
> 
> Yeah. Don't use Mac, so maybe it's there? Don't really use Linux, either.
> 
> In Windows, it's been gone a long time. I think since Aurora.

Nope, they're still in my 56.0.1 Portable I keep around for my password
manager until I can get migrated to KeePass, so this is pretty recent...
0
Tanstaafl
6/7/2018 1:02:08 PM
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, Ormail wrote:

> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite
> well, but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
> 
> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets
> of toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
> Quantum.
> 
> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
> back?
> 
On Fx 60 on Linux I can add a separator to the menu toolbar by right-
clicking on the toolbar, or an item on the toolbar, and selecting 'add 
separator'. Right-click on one to delete it.

No separators in the 'customise' menu - which doesn't appear if I right-
click on the toolbar menu, only on the tabs or URL bar.
-- 
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
Dave
6/7/2018 1:49:58 PM
In message 
<mailman.743.1528379429.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Dave 
Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> writes:
[]
>On Fx 60 on Linux I can add a separator to the menu toolbar by right-
>clicking on the toolbar, or an item on the toolbar, and selecting 'add
>separator'. Right-click on one to delete it.
>
>No separators in the 'customise' menu - which doesn't appear if I right-
>click on the toolbar menu, only on the tabs or URL bar.

Maybe this explains it: they've moved from the "customise" menu to the 
"right-click-on-toolbar" menu? (I can see some logic in that, as unlike 
other things in the customise menu, you can have more than one of them.) 
Though that doesn't explain why some people still _do_ have them in the 
customise and some don't, despite having the same version and extensions 
(including one case where the same poster has two machines which 
differ)!

[I'm just watching this discussion from the sidelines, with interest; 
I'm still on 27.0.1.]
-- 
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I'm the oldest woman on primetime not baking cakes.
- Anne Robinson, RT 2015/8/15-21
0
J
6/7/2018 2:28:43 PM
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 08:36:06 +0100, in mozilla.support.firefox, Ormail
wrote: 

>In article <mailman.762.1528344951.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>   Hartdonor <hartdonor@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>[Snippy]
>
>> Yeah. I'm talking about the vertical separators on the bookmarks
>> *toolbar*. You can insert them in the Library manager as I described. The
>> Bookmarks Toolbar is included as a menu item in the manager. In vanilla
>> Firefox, you can't put separators on the main toolbar (the one with the
>> address bar), and I think that's been the case since at least, IIRC,
>> Aurora hit, let alone Quantum, and possibly a longer while back. I
>> therefore presumed he meant the bookmarks toolbar.
>
>Originally you were talking about Bookmarks and a horizontal separator.

Nope, though I understand the confusion. I was talking about putting
horizontal separator lines in the "bookmarks toolbar" section of the
Library manager which then turn into vertical separator lines in the
bookmarks toolbar on the UI. But nevermind, it's not what you want.

I have no idea why Firefox is retaining separator lines in the main
toolbar in some people's profiles and not others. The option to actually
add them is gone from Quantum (on Windows at least). They're deprecated.
So you can't put them back. I thought they were gone from Aurora, too,
but my memory seems to be wrong.

Did you try a browser refresh/new profile for the bookmarks display
problem (the spacing thing)? If a browser refresh fixes the display of
the bookmarks in a new profile, it's not hard at all to transfer
bookmarks (places.sqlite or from a backup) between the two profiles and
hopefully that will fix things.

Did you try to reinstall Firefox? Then you can move the bookmarks to the
new install.

I'm hoping one of those two will get rid of the spacing problem.

Also, what OS are we talking about? What set of extensions? Did you try
running with extensions disabled ("safe-mode" on the about:support page)?

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/7/2018 2:46:35 PM
Here is the Bookmarks sidebar spacing on my install:

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/rjhansen075/media/Bookmarks_zpslbjh9bja.jpg.html

It seemed from your description that there was more white space between
each entry. Correct?

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/7/2018 3:01:18 PM
In message 
<mailman.752.1528382827.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, 
Hartdonor <hartdonor@hotmail.com> writes:
[]
>I have no idea why Firefox is retaining separator lines in the main
>toolbar in some people's profiles and not others. The option to actually
>add them is gone from Quantum (on Windows at least). They're deprecated.
>So you can't put them back. I thought they were gone from Aurora, too,
>but my memory seems to be wrong.
[]
Are they actually deprecated, or have they just moved from the customise 
menu to the right-click-on-toolbar menu, as another poster has suggested 
might be the case?

(I dislike strongly people who "deprecate" things, in a computing 
context; _sometimes_ it's for a genuinely good reason, but more often 
than not it's because the coders find it easier not to support 
[initially by "it might still work if you're lucky but no promises", 
subsequently by actively stopping it working] something that's useful. 
Even when there _is_ a good reason, that reason rarely widely made 
known. My favourite example is the HTML "CENTER" tag: I don't know if 
there _is_ a good reason for deprecating it, and its replacement is IMO 
far clumsier. [I also don't know any browser that still doesn't honour 
it, either!]

I can't see any good reason [desire to stop supporting on the part of 
coders not being a _good_ reason] for deprecating separators in 
toolbars.)
-- 
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

History is not the past. It is the method we have evolved of organising our
ignorance of the past. - Hilary Mantel, first Reith Lecture 2017
0
J
6/7/2018 3:12:25 PM
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 16:12:25 +0100, in mozilla.support.firefox, J. P.
Gilliver (John) wrote: 

>In message 
><mailman.752.1528382827.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, 
>Hartdonor <hartdonor@hotmail.com> writes:
>[]
>>I have no idea why Firefox is retaining separator lines in the main
>>toolbar in some people's profiles and not others. The option to actually
>>add them is gone from Quantum (on Windows at least). They're deprecated.
>>So you can't put them back. I thought they were gone from Aurora, too,
>>but my memory seems to be wrong.
>[]
>Are they actually deprecated, or have they just moved from the customise 
>menu to the right-click-on-toolbar menu, as another poster has suggested 
>might be the case?
>
>(I dislike strongly people who "deprecate" things, in a computing 
>context; _sometimes_ it's for a genuinely good reason, but more often 
>than not it's because the coders find it easier not to support 
>[initially by "it might still work if you're lucky but no promises", 
>subsequently by actively stopping it working] something that's useful. 
>Even when there _is_ a good reason, that reason rarely widely made 
>known. My favourite example is the HTML "CENTER" tag: I don't know if 
>there _is_ a good reason for deprecating it, and its replacement is IMO 
>far clumsier. [I also don't know any browser that still doesn't honour 
>it, either!]
>
>I can't see any good reason [desire to stop supporting on the part of 
>coders not being a _good_ reason] for deprecating separators in 
>toolbars.)

Caveat: I am not a Firefox dev. Calling them "deprecated" was an overstep
on my part.

I'm not 100% sure as I don't have a test environment on multiple machines
with multiple OSes, but I do know I get no option to add a separator from
either the "customize" screen, or a right-click on the toolbar. On my
Windows 10 x64 1803 system, with x64 Firefox 60.0.1, adding separators to
the main toolbar is completely gone as an option.

I rebuilt my install from scratch (with a clean profile) for Quantum
because of other migration problems, so I know I have a vanilla install.

Since people are reporting differing behavior with separators appearing
on their toolbar, it appears that rendering them if you already have them
in your profile is unreliable. There might be some legacy code that is
less-than-stable still present in Firefox to display them. If there's no
way to add separators in the default configuration, it's likely nobody is
paying attention to it.

I have never put vertical separators anywhere but in my bookmarks
toolbar, which you can add (unintuitively) with the Library manager as
horizontal separators. 

I have no way to test a profile migration with an old Aurora profile that
has toolbar separators to Quantum. My profile backups don't go that far
back.

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/7/2018 3:49:04 PM
Ah. I just checked, and you can add new separators to the bookmarks
toolbar only, by right clicking on the bookmarks toolbar.

So it's all still there for the bookmarks toolbar, but it doesn't appear
when you right click on the main toolbar.

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/7/2018 3:53:48 PM
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 16:12:25 +0100, in mozilla.support.firefox, J. P.
Gilliver (John) wrote: 

>In message 
><mailman.752.1528382827.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, 
>Hartdonor <hartdonor@hotmail.com> writes:
>[]
>>I have no idea why Firefox is retaining separator lines in the main
>>toolbar in some people's profiles and not others. The option to actually
>>add them is gone from Quantum (on Windows at least). They're deprecated.
>>So you can't put them back. I thought they were gone from Aurora, too,
>>but my memory seems to be wrong.
>[]
>Are they actually deprecated, or have they just moved from the customise 
>menu to the right-click-on-toolbar menu, as another poster has suggested 
>might be the case?

Also: I just double checked a new install of Firefox 52 ESR with a
complete uninstall of 60.0.1 and a brand new profile, and I was right.
There's no way to add separators to the main toolbar with a right-click
menu or in "customize" with a default Aurora install.

This feature has been gone a long time.

-- 
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.
0
Hartdonor
6/7/2018 4:13:48 PM
In article <mailman.743.1528379429.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, Ormail wrote:

> > I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite
> > well, but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
> > 
> > 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets
> > of toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
> > Quantum.
> > 
> > Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
> > back?
> > 
> On Fx 60 on Linux I can add a separator to the menu toolbar by right-
> clicking on the toolbar, or an item on the toolbar, and selecting 'add 
> separator'. Right-click on one to delete it.

> No separators in the 'customise' menu - which doesn't appear if I right-
> click on the toolbar menu, only on the tabs or URL bar.

Hells bells and buckets of blood...

You are so right!

I've been trying to do it with the Customize window open... It seemed the
obvious path...

But as you say, just ol' Firefox in normal mode, right click over the
User/Bookmarks Toolbar and there's the menu option "Add separator".

Thanks from Her and many thanks from me.

Dor

0
Ormail
6/7/2018 5:18:49 PM
On 6/7/2018 1:18 PM, Ormail wrote:
> In article <mailman.743.1528379429.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>     Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, Ormail wrote:
> 
>>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite
>>> well, but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>>
>>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets
>>> of toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>>> Quantum.
>>>
>>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>>> back?
>>>
>> On Fx 60 on Linux I can add a separator to the menu toolbar by right-
>> clicking on the toolbar, or an item on the toolbar, and selecting 'add
>> separator'. Right-click on one to delete it.
> 
>> No separators in the 'customise' menu - which doesn't appear if I right-
>> click on the toolbar menu, only on the tabs or URL bar.
> 
> Hells bells and buckets of blood...
> 
> You are so right!
> 
> I've been trying to do it with the Customize window open... It seemed the
> obvious path...
> 
> But as you say, just ol' Firefox in normal mode, right click over the
> User/Bookmarks Toolbar and there's the menu option "Add separator".
> 
> Thanks from Her and many thanks from me.
> 
> Dor
> 
Maybe on the bookmarks toolbar but I still cannot put a divider on the 
'regular' top bar as used to be possible. Adding one to the bookmarks bar 
(which I never display) does work but moving it to where I might actually 
want/need one is not possible.
0
John
6/7/2018 5:43:12 PM
In article <mailman.790.1528392062.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Ormail <das@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <mailman.743.1528379429.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>    Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, Ormail wrote:

> > > I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite
> > > well, but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
> > > 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped
> > > sets of toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or
> > > available in Quantum.
> > > 
> > > Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get
> > > 'em back?
> > > 
> > On Fx 60 on Linux I can add a separator to the menu toolbar by right-
> > clicking on the toolbar, or an item on the toolbar, and selecting 'add
> > separator'. Right-click on one to delete it.

> > No separators in the 'customise' menu - which doesn't appear if I
> > right- click on the toolbar menu, only on the tabs or URL bar.

> Hells bells and buckets of blood...

> You are so right!

> I've been trying to do it with the Customize window open... It seemed the
> obvious path...

> But as you say, just ol' Firefox in normal mode, right click over the
> User/Bookmarks Toolbar and there's the menu option "Add separator".

> Thanks from Her and many thanks from me.

> Dor

Unfortunately, while I can now add separator bars after the last tool
icon, I cannot move them to place 'em where I want them.

It's also, depending on the Theme and with some it is not possible to have
bars at all.

Disappointed, but what can you expect from Quantum.

Dor

0
Ormail
6/7/2018 6:05:34 PM
On 6/7/18 9:49 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 19:30:25 +0100, Ormail wrote:
> 
>> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite
>> well, but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
>>
>> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets
>> of toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
>> Quantum.
>>
>> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
>> back?
>>
> On Fx 60 on Linux I can add a separator to the menu toolbar by right-
> clicking on the toolbar, or an item on the toolbar, and selecting 'add
> separator'. Right-click on one to delete it.

Try that with a test profile.

I can't do that using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) 
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 ID:20180517113820

> 
> No separators in the 'customise' menu - which doesn't appear if I right-
> click on the toolbar menu, only on the tabs or URL bar.
> 

Customize appears if I right click on the Toolbar containing the Home, 
Reload, URL Bar, and extension icons.

-- 
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/7/2018 11:30:01 PM
On 6/6/18 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
> I've just moved SWMBO from ESR to Quantum 60.0.1, it all went quite well,
> but she is chewing my ears a bit about two things.
> 
> 1) In her old Fx she had a set of separator lines between grouped sets of
> toolbar items, and they (Separators) are not showing or available in
> Quantum.
> 
> Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 'em
> back?
> 
> 

"Currently, only available for the Bookmarks Toolbar folder. Separators 
were removed in the new UI that came with Firefox 29, back in April 2014."

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1048602>
I believe that was the Australis release.

-- 
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/7/2018 11:38:26 PM
In message 
<mailman.797.1528414737.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, WaltS48 
<schw01@REMOVEverizon.net> writes:
>On 6/6/18 2:30 PM, Ormail wrote:
[]
>>  Q: Where have they gone, why are they not there and how does she get 
>>'em
>> back?
>>
>
>"Currently, only available for the Bookmarks Toolbar folder. Separators 
>were removed in the new UI that came with Firefox 29, back in April 
>2014."
>
><https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1048602>
>I believe that was the Australis release.
>
(That wouldn't surprise me.) Did the gods at the time deign to tell the 
mortals _why_ separators were removed? (It might have been a good 
reason, though I doubt it.)
-- 
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I remember a lot of questions on a vocalist forum about the problems singing
"There is a balm in Gilead" without making it sound like a security alert. -
Linda Fox in UMRA, 2010-11-19
0
J
6/8/2018 2:40:50 AM
Her view on the toolbar separators in light of the discussion here...

"Trivial bit of UI cosmetics, not worth worrying about..." XX

But she's very pleased there was a solution for the Bookmarks line space
problem.

She say thanks. (With a smile).

Dor

XX: I disagree with her on that, so much has been ripped out of Fx it is
hard to personalise it these days.  :-(

0
Ormail
6/8/2018 6:07:07 AM
Reply: