Problem with Proxy Setting

Last week I posted this request for help with an ill behaving proxy
setting in Firefox.  It was suggested that I post in this newsgroup.  I
hope someone can help.

We have two different profiles for FF 1.5 running dial-up on an XP Pro
machine with SP2 installed.  Our Norton Internet Security is set to
allow all connections for FF.

Our problem is that only one of the profiles will set our localhost
proxy properly.  Both profiles should be using the same proxy setting of
"localhost:8080 with and exception for 127.0.0.1".  Since we don't open
both profiles at the same time, there should not be any conflict.  The
second profile can be set to the Manual setting and it will function for
that session; but when FF is closed either and the end of the connection
or for any reason; the next time FF is opened, the proxy connection will
have reset itself to Auto Detect.  In the Auto Detect mode our
accelerator software does not function at all.

Is there some prefs setting that should be set in both of the profiles
to insure that the localhost proxy is set properly.  Maybe a setting in
the pref.js?  BTW we have the localhost proxy set in the MS Internet
options also.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

--

Howard H. Heflin
NOSPAM_HHHeflin@netscape.net

_Howard Heflin_ spoke thusly on 26/01/2006 11:42 AM:
> Last week I posted this request for help with an ill behaving proxy
> setting in Firefox.  It was suggested that I post in this newsgroup.  I
> hope someone can help.
>
> We have two different profiles for FF 1.5 running dial-up on an XP Pro
> machine with SP2 installed.  Our Norton Internet Security is set to
> allow all connections for FF.
>
> Our problem is that only one of the profiles will set our localhost
> proxy properly.  Both profiles should be using the same proxy setting of
> "localhost:8080 with and exception for 127.0.0.1".  Since we don't open
> both profiles at the same time, there should not be any conflict.  The
> second profile can be set to the Manual setting and it will function for
> that session; but when FF is closed either and the end of the connection
> or for any reason; the next time FF is opened, the proxy connection will
> have reset itself to Auto Detect.  In the Auto Detect mode our
> accelerator software does not function at all.
>
> Is there some prefs setting that should be set in both of the profiles
> to insure that the localhost proxy is set properly.  Maybe a setting in
> the pref.js?  BTW we have the localhost proxy set in the MS Internet
> options also.
>
> Any suggestions?

Is the problem consistent with the same profile? Or is it just a matter
of one (no matter which one) not behaving?
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Howard Heflin_ spoke thusly on 26/01/2006 11:42 AM:
>> Last week I posted this request for help with an ill behaving proxy
>> setting in Firefox.  It was suggested that I post in this newsgroup.
>> I hope someone can help.
>>
>> We have two different profiles for FF 1.5 running dial-up on an XP Pro
>> machine with SP2 installed.  Our Norton Internet Security is set to
>> allow all connections for FF.
>>
>> Our problem is that only one of the profiles will set our localhost
>> proxy properly.  Both profiles should be using the same proxy setting
>> of "localhost:8080 with and exception for 127.0.0.1".  Since we don't
>> open both profiles at the same time, there should not be any
>> conflict.  The second profile can be set to the Manual setting and it
>> will function for that session; but when FF is closed either and the
>> end of the connection or for any reason; the next time FF is opened,
>> the proxy connection will have reset itself to Auto Detect.  In the
>> Auto Detect mode our accelerator software does not function at all.
>>
>> Is there some prefs setting that should be set in both of the profiles
>> to insure that the localhost proxy is set properly.  Maybe a setting
>> in the pref.js?  BTW we have the localhost proxy set in the MS
>> Internet options also.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Is the problem consistent with the same profile? Or is it just a matter
> of one (no matter which one) not behaving?

Hi Chris,
The problem seems to be consistent with one profile not holding the set.
  If your suggestion is to create a new profile; how can we insure that
all of the saved passwords, cookies, and bookmarks are moved to the new
profile.  I can handle the bookmark part; but am not sure about the
other items.

I have created separate <prefs.js? files located in the individual paths.

The misbehaving path is C:\Documents and Settings\J\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxx.J  This <prefs.js> file contains
the following proxy lines:
user_pref("network.proxy.http", "Localhost");
user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8080);
user_pref("network.proxy.no_proxies_on", "127.0.0.1");
user_pref("network.proxy.type", 4);

The <prefs.js> file in path that works contains the following proxy lines:
user_pref("network.proxy.http", "Localhost");
user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8080);
user_pref("network.proxy.no_proxies_on", "127.0.0.1");
user_pref("network.proxy.type", 1);

There is a rudimentary (no date) prefs.js file in the C:\Program
Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\ folder.

The only difference I see is the 'network.proxy.type' line where the
misbehaving line is set to "4" and the one that works is set to "1".
Admittedly, I have not tried changing that one line; because I don't
really know what it does and I've been reluctant to muck around with
these files without understanding the overall potential consequences.

Suggestions?

--

Howard H. Heflin
NOSPAM_HHHeflin@netscape.net
The usual removals are required to reply.

Stop SPAM !!!!
0
Howard
1/27/2006 5:57:01 PM
_Howard Heflin_ spoke thusly on 27/01/2006 12:57 PM:
> Hi Chris,
> The problem seems to be consistent with one profile not holding the set.
>  If your suggestion is to create a new profile; how can we insure that
> all of the saved passwords, cookies, and bookmarks are moved to the new
> profile.  I can handle the bookmark part; but am not sure about the
> other items.
>
> I have created separate <prefs.js? files located in the individual paths.
>
> The misbehaving path is C:\Documents and Settings\J\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxx.J  This <prefs.js> file contains
> the following proxy lines:
> user_pref("network.proxy.http", "Localhost");
> user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8080);
> user_pref("network.proxy.no_proxies_on", "127.0.0.1");
> user_pref("network.proxy.type", 4);
>
> The <prefs.js> file in path that works contains the following proxy lines:
> user_pref("network.proxy.http", "Localhost");
> user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8080);
> user_pref("network.proxy.no_proxies_on", "127.0.0.1");
> user_pref("network.proxy.type", 1);
>
> There is a rudimentary (no date) prefs.js file in the C:\Program
> Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\ folder.
>
> The only difference I see is the 'network.proxy.type' line where the
> misbehaving line is set to "4" and the one that works is set to "1".
> Admittedly, I have not tried changing that one line; because I don't
> really know what it does and I've been reluctant to muck around with
> these files without understanding the overall potential consequences.

Close Firefox, then go ahead and change the number to 1.
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
1/27/2006 8:02:23 PM
Howard Heflin wrote:
> [...]
> user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8080);
> user_pref("network.proxy.no_proxies_on", "127.0.0.1");
> user_pref("network.proxy.type", 4);
>
> The <prefs.js> file in path that works contains the following proxy lines:
> user_pref("network.proxy.http", "Localhost");
> user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8080);
> user_pref("network.proxy.no_proxies_on", "127.0.0.1");
> user_pref("network.proxy.type", 1);
>
> There is a rudimentary (no date) prefs.js file in the C:\Program
> Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\ folder.
>
> The only difference I see is the 'network.proxy.type' line where the
> misbehaving line is set to "4" and the one that works is set to "1".
> Admittedly, I have not tried changing that one line; because I don't
> really know what it does and I've been reluctant to muck around with
> these files without understanding the overall potential consequences.

Hi Howard,

Maybe you take a look at
  http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

1) Create a new profile:
  You need to close Firefox and run "firefox.exe -profilemanager".

2) Make changes to the profile:
  Now you can easily make proxy-changes inside Firefox:
   Tools (menu) --> Options... --> General --> Connection settings...
--> Manual proxy configuration --> <make your changes>

This is more informative then relevant...

You can always use the "about:config" link to check all your settings.

As Chris said you should change the "network.proxy.type=4" to become
"network.proxy.type=1" (inside Firefox!!).

Here are the states for "network.proxy.type" when changing it INSIDE
Firefox:
Direct connection to the Internet
  network.proxy.type=0

Auto-detect proxy settings for this network
  network.proxy.type=4

Manual proxy configuration
  network.proxy.type=1

Automatic proxy configuration URL
  network.proxy.type=2

Kindest regards,

Kim
--
The way is the destination.
0
Kim Brandt wrote:
> [...]
>
> Maybe you take a look at
>  http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new
>
> 1) Create a new profile:
>  You need to close Firefox and run "firefox.exe -profilemanager".
>
> 2) Make changes to the profile:
>  Now you can easily make proxy-changes inside Firefox:
>   Tools (menu) --> Options... --> General --> Connection settings... -->
> Manual proxy configuration --> <make your changes>
>

> This is more informative then relevant...
>
> You can always use the "about:config" link to check all your settings.
>
> As Chris said you should change the "network.proxy.type=4" to become
> "network.proxy.type=1" (inside Firefox!!).
>
> Here are the states for "network.proxy.type" when changing it INSIDE
> Firefox:
> Direct connection to the Internet
>  network.proxy.type=0
>
> Auto-detect proxy settings for this network

Chris and Kim,
Thanks for the assistance.

Interestingly enough the issue turned out to be in the <user.js> file
not the <prefs.js> file.  I had been changing the <prefs.js> file while
the <user.js> file contained the "network.proxy.type=4" which was
overruling the <prefs.js> "network.proxy.type=1".  After making the
correction in the <user.js> file, all is well with the world.

The nice part about this exercise was that I didn't have to create a new
profile and go through that whole "whoha".

Thanks again. :-)
--

Howard H. Heflin
NOSPAM_HHHeflin@netscape.net
The usual removals are required to reply.

Stop SPAM !!!!
0
Howard

Firefox 3: Problem with proxy settings
My current setup is is like this: Windows 2000, behind a corporate Firewall. SeaMonkey 1.1.9 and Opera 9.5 installed and working. I installed Firefox 3 and when asked, imported the settings from my Seamonkey installation, but when started, Firefox could not connect to the internet. Then I used File/Import to import the preferences from Opera, but again no connection to past the firewall. I then had a look at the option settings (connection to internet). They looked fine to me (you can see a screenshot at http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1121/mwsnapscreenshot012mp2.jpg), and it ...

Firefox 3: Problem with proxy settings
My current setup is is like this: Windows 2000, behind a corporate Firewall. SeaMonkey 1.1.9 and Opera 9.5 installed and working. I installed Firefox 3 and when asked, imported the settings from my Seamonkey installation, but when started, Firefox could not connect to the internet. Then I used File/Import to import the preferences from Opera, but again no connection to past the firewall. I then had a look at the option settings (connection to internet). They looked fine to me (you can see a screenshot at http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1121/mwsnapscreenshot012mp2.jpg), and i...

Windows Update problem through proxy
Hello All, If I enable the setting "Enable Persistent Connections to Origin Servers" Windows update will work without any problem. But it affecting the other sites. For examle , We are trying to connect from a Web application to a site "viewprograms.watchit.com" to open on line courses.I am unable to read the pages from the site. If I disable the setting "Enable Persistent Connections to Origin Servers" the above mentiones site will work fine. Can anybody suggest any solution for this? Thanks in advance NSMK Nagalaseema, It app...

Firefox proxy problem
When privoxy is enabled I get a proxy error on all ftp sites: The proxy server is refusing connections But no ftp proxy is configured. If I switch privoxy off the connections occur normally. Neither firefox (2.x) or privoxy is set to use a proxy for ftp. This became a problem using foxmarks on a local ftp server. If I want foxmarks to work I have to switch off privoxy. ...

Proxy setting problem
Name: Horace Email: gt4a03atyahoodotcomdothk Product: Firefox Summary: Proxy setting problem Comments: The automatic proxysetting doesn't work, and i need to change it again if i need to use other network Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b2) Gecko/20081201 Firefox/3.1b2 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

set proxy support
Hi all, I am trying to use the proxy authorization feature of EAServer and so far I have been unsuccessful. I have read previous postings and I have read the section of getting started that describes the feature. So far I have done the following: 1. logged in as SA and performed a GRANT SET PROXY TO <conn_cache_login_name> (on master database) 2. I have created a .props file in the connection cache folder in the repository and put com.sybase.jaguar.conncache.ssa=true Currently in the Powerbuilder Component I am connecting to the database using cachename in the DBParm...

Proxy settings in Firefox
Name: Andre Email: maraisahateskomdotcodotza Product: Firefox Summary: Proxy settings in Firefox Comments: Hi, I work as a consultant and need to change my proxy settings each time I work at a different company. My suggestion is proxy settings that can be saved, so that you can choose a saved proxy setting 1..n from the pull down menu. Thanks for a great product! Andre Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.11) Gecko/20070312 Firefox/1.5.0.11 ...

Firefox had a problem and crashed there a problem when reporting Firefox errors
Name: jeff Email: bank6666atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox had a problem and crashed there a problem when reporting Firefox errors Comments: Firefox had a problem and crashed there a problem when reporting Firefox errors Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox support forum problem
I am no longer able to log into the Firefox support forum. If I try to log in as usual, or if I use the link "My password isn't working", or "I didn't get a confirmation email", I keep getting sent back to the "Access denied" page. How do I log in now? On 01/12/2012 05:21 PM, EE aliandika: > I am no longer able to log into the Firefox support forum. If I try to > log in as usual, or if I use the link "My password isn't working", or "I > didn't get a confirmation email", I keep getting sent back to the >...

Firefox problems setting Options
Hi all: I just grabbed FireFox and am having some problems setting up anything under the Tools > Options menu. It seems like the OK button is flaky: 9 times out of 10 I press it and it does nothing, the window just stays open. I can Cancel, but of course my changes aren't saved. If the OK button doesn't work, I have to Cancel out, go back to Tools > Options, make my changes again, and hit OK again, hoping it works this time. Anyone else experiencing this? Other than that, it's very nice. The new icon looks like a fetus on the taskbar, and my favorite theme (Cryst...

[Help] Setting Proxy Problems
Firstly, I want to state that I'm really new in Linux and also I'm not really good in networking stuff. I use Wi-Fi (WPA) connection in my school. I followed the guide on how to setting the proxy for Konqueror and Firefox. They work perfectly fine. I tried to set proxy for Google Chrome, I did realize Google Chrome use the same setting as Konqueror. I thought it might be working. But, when I tried to surf using Google Chrome, it's not working. The request always times out. What should I do to fix it up? I do really need Google Chrome, because it does help me with...

Firefox proxy settings file
hi I need to know where the firefox proxy settings are saved, because I want to write a program, which changes the proxy settings. In the home folder I didn't find anything I could detect as a proxy settings file. -- openSuse 11.1 KDE 4.2 member of 4 'BOINC' (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/) projects! ------------------------------------------------------------------------ It's just part of the general settings in prefs.js. There are several user_pref settings, such as: Code: -------------------- user_pref("network.proxy.http", &quo...

Problem with konqueror proxy settings
Hello, can anybody help me to solve the following problem? I tried to configure a proxy connection with the Konqueror web browser (not with the default proxy settings) and now the browser works no more: it seams to load, but after some seconds the loading icon disappears. A Konqueror process appears in the Performance Monitor (as silent), but I have to kill it because indeed no Konqueror windows appears. I tried to reinstall Konqueror via Yast, but it still doesn't work. I precise that usually I go on the web with Firefox, but as sometimes I need to use a connection via a ...

proxy setting in firefox and IE
Is there anyone can tell me why in firefox there is only one proxy setting either use LAN or Dial-up? In IE, people can seperately set proxy for BOTH LAN and Dial-up. Thanks... John John schrieb: > Is there anyone can tell me why in firefox there is only one proxy setting > either use LAN or Dial-up? In IE, people can seperately set proxy for BOTH > LAN and Dial-up. > > Thanks... > > John > > Because FF has no Dialin Options, it uses the OS Options for that. So it only needs one Setting. Till then, Jan-Peter Yes, this is definetel...

Web resources about - Problem with Proxy Setting - mozilla.support.firefox

SanDisk’s new wireless memory stick will eradicate smartphone storage problems
... all, there’s never enough storage on most mobile devices whether they’re new iPhones or Android devices. And then there are battery life problems. ...

The age-old problem with the Clintons
The sleaze is endless. Can't the Dems find a better candidate? Like Biden or somebody?

VW faces problems to fix diesel emissions in the US
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , Volkswagen , Emissions , Diesel Volkswagen and environmental regulators can't come to terms on a fix ...

Google Fiber blamed for worsening flooding problems in one Austin neighborhood
Internet users all across the United States are desperate for Google Fiber to make its way to their city, but one South Austin neighborhood is ...

China's Insolvable Problems; Watched Pot Thesis; Roll the Dice
China has not one insolvable problem, but many of them. Yuan and Capital Flight China needs to prop up the yuan to slow capital flight. China ...

There's a huge debate over an encryption expert's plan solve the problem of online privacy
... (@dionyziz) January 6, 2016 Chaum has said twice now that he knows people who can run servers that governments can't hack so its not a problem ...

W Magazine accidentally highlighted Hollywood’s diversity problems, right?
W Magazine has an annual feature to coincide with the big Oscar awards season. Many magazines do – like, Vanity Fair does their annual Hollywood ...

US stocks with a China problem
CNBC Pro ran a search for companies to avoid due to sales exposure risk from China.

Melatonin Helps People Fall Asleep, But Has Potential Problems And Side Effects
... that regulates our sleep/wake cycles. It might seem like a mild and natural alternative to sleeping pills , but there are potential problems. ...