Problem with PDF web links embedded in PDF

My firm recently ran an online survey, and the survey allowed users to
attach documentation of their answers after answering questions. The
completed test arrives as a PDF, and the embedded documentation is also
a PDF, but is accessed via a link within the master PDF.  But those
links to the PDFs won't open when Firefox is my default browser: I have
to make IE the default.  Otherwise, it just tells me that Acrobat Reader
can't open the document within the browser.  I've tried changing all the
Firefox PDF and Adobe settings to refer PDF documents to Acrobat 8
(which is on my machine), but it doesn't help. As long as the PDF has to
be accessed via the web, it won't work with Firefox. Is there anything I
can do to make Acrobat Reader display these files properly in Firefox?
I'm on 3.6.10 in XP.
0
Restorm

On 21/09/2010 13:38, Restorm wrote:
> My firm recently ran an online survey, and the survey allowed users to
> attach documentation of their answers after answering questions. The
> completed test arrives as a PDF, and the embedded documentation is also
> a PDF, but is accessed via a link within the master PDF. But those links
> to the PDFs won't open when Firefox is my default browser: I have to
> make IE the default. Otherwise, it just tells me that Acrobat Reader
> can't open the document within the browser. I've tried changing all the
> Firefox PDF and Adobe settings to refer PDF documents to Acrobat 8
> (which is on my machine), but it doesn't help. As long as the PDF has to
> be accessed via the web, it won't work with Firefox. Is there anything I
> can do to make Acrobat Reader display these files properly in Firefox?
> I'm on 3.6.10 in XP.

If I am understanding this correctly, you have your master pdf open inn
Acrobat, you want the embedded links to open in FireFox, and the links
point to another pdf. Perhaps a silly question, but do you have the
acrobat plugin for FF? I haven't used Acrobat for several years (I
prefer Foxit), but I believe the plugin can be installed from the
Acrobat menu somewhere (Tools? Options? Not sure). I can't think of any
other reason why the links would not open in FF. HTH
	Dave
0
Traveller
9/21/2010 9:27:42 PM
On 9/21/2010 5:27 PM, Traveller wrote:
> On 21/09/2010 13:38, Restorm wrote:
>> My firm recently ran an online survey, and the survey allowed users to
>> attach documentation of their answers after answering questions. The
>> completed test arrives as a PDF, and the embedded documentation is also
>> a PDF, but is accessed via a link within the master PDF. But those links
>> to the PDFs won't open when Firefox is my default browser: I have to
>> make IE the default. Otherwise, it just tells me that Acrobat Reader
>> can't open the document within the browser. I've tried changing all the
>> Firefox PDF and Adobe settings to refer PDF documents to Acrobat 8
>> (which is on my machine), but it doesn't help. As long as the PDF has to
>> be accessed via the web, it won't work with Firefox. Is there anything I
>> can do to make Acrobat Reader display these files properly in Firefox?
>> I'm on 3.6.10 in XP.
>
> If I am understanding this correctly, you have your master pdf open inn
> Acrobat, you want the embedded links to open in FireFox, and the links
> point to another pdf. Perhaps a silly question, but do you have the
> acrobat plugin for FF? I haven't used Acrobat for several years (I
> prefer Foxit), but I believe the plugin can be installed from the
> Acrobat menu somewhere (Tools? Options? Not sure). I can't think of any
> other reason why the links would not open in FF. HTH
> Dave
Hi, Dave.  Yep, I've got the latest version of the Acrobat plug-in for FF.
0
Restorm
9/21/2010 9:40:00 PM
Restorm wrote:
> On 9/21/2010 5:27 PM, Traveller wrote:
>> On 21/09/2010 13:38, Restorm wrote:
>>> My firm recently ran an online survey, and the survey allowed users to
>>> attach documentation of their answers after answering questions. The
>>> completed test arrives as a PDF, and the embedded documentation is also
>>> a PDF, but is accessed via a link within the master PDF. But those links
>>> to the PDFs won't open when Firefox is my default browser: I have to
>>> make IE the default. Otherwise, it just tells me that Acrobat Reader
>>> can't open the document within the browser. I've tried changing all the
>>> Firefox PDF and Adobe settings to refer PDF documents to Acrobat 8
>>> (which is on my machine), but it doesn't help. As long as the PDF has to
>>> be accessed via the web, it won't work with Firefox. Is there anything I
>>> can do to make Acrobat Reader display these files properly in Firefox?
>>> I'm on 3.6.10 in XP.
>>
>> If I am understanding this correctly, you have your master pdf open inn
>> Acrobat, you want the embedded links to open in FireFox, and the links
>> point to another pdf. Perhaps a silly question, but do you have the
>> acrobat plugin for FF? I haven't used Acrobat for several years (I
>> prefer Foxit), but I believe the plugin can be installed from the
>> Acrobat menu somewhere (Tools? Options? Not sure). I can't think of any
>> other reason why the links would not open in FF. HTH
>> Dave
> Hi, Dave. Yep, I've got the latest version of the Acrobat plug-in for FF.
Hi Storm,

Let me see if I have this right:

You have the master document open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox, but
when you click an embedded PDF link it won't open in Firefox, so you set
IE as the default browser and click the link to a PDF in the master
document that is open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox and the link
opens the new PDF in IE.  Is that right?  Or is the Master document open
in Acrobat Reader outside if Firefox?

If you open the master document in Acrobat Reader inside IE, are you
able to click a PDF link and have the new PDF open in IE?

What I'm thinking is that the if the Master Document is open in Acrobat
Reader inside any browser, the link will need to have a target="_blank"
attribute to make the browser open a new window to hold a new instance
of Adobe Reader.

Dave Pyles
0
David
9/21/2010 10:21:57 PM
On 9/21/2010 6:21 PM, David Pyles wrote:
> Restorm wrote:
>>>
>>> If I am understanding this correctly, you have your master pdf open inn
>>> Acrobat, you want the embedded links to open in FireFox, and the links
>>> point to another pdf. Perhaps a silly question, but do you have the
>>> acrobat plugin for FF? I haven't used Acrobat for several years (I
>>> prefer Foxit), but I believe the plugin can be installed from the
>>> Acrobat menu somewhere (Tools? Options? Not sure). I can't think of any
>>> other reason why the links would not open in FF. HTH
>>> Dave
>> Hi, Dave. Yep, I've got the latest version of the Acrobat plug-in for FF.
> Hi Storm,
>
> Let me see if I have this right:
>
> You have the master document open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox, but
> when you click an embedded PDF link it won't open in Firefox, so you set
> IE as the default browser and click the link to a PDF in the master
> document that is open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox and the link
> opens the new PDF in IE. Is that right? Or is the Master document open
> in Acrobat Reader outside if Firefox?
>
> If you open the master document in Acrobat Reader inside IE, are you
> able to click a PDF link and have the new PDF open in IE?
>
> What I'm thinking is that the if the Master Document is open in Acrobat
> Reader inside any browser, the link will need to have a target="_blank"
> attribute to make the browser open a new window to hold a new instance
> of Adobe Reader.
>
> Dave Pyles

In I believe you have to set the local version of the Adobe Reader to
activate the hotlinks.  (Edit Preferences in Version 9.3 but I beleive
it has been there in previous versions.)

Could there also be a problem with the path to the connected PDF files?
0
Keith
9/21/2010 10:34:40 PM
On 9/21/2010 6:21 PM, David Pyles wrote:
> Restorm wrote:
>>>
>>> If I am understanding this correctly, you have your master pdf open inn
>>> Acrobat, you want the embedded links to open in FireFox, and the links
>>> point to another pdf. Perhaps a silly question, but do you have the
>>> acrobat plugin for FF? I haven't used Acrobat for several years (I
>>> prefer Foxit), but I believe the plugin can be installed from the
>>> Acrobat menu somewhere (Tools? Options? Not sure). I can't think of any
>>> other reason why the links would not open in FF. HTH
>>> Dave
>> Hi, Dave. Yep, I've got the latest version of the Acrobat plug-in for FF.
> Hi Storm,
>
> Let me see if I have this right:
>
> You have the master document open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox, but
> when you click an embedded PDF link it won't open in Firefox, so you set
> IE as the default browser and click the link to a PDF in the master
> document that is open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox and the link
> opens the new PDF in IE. Is that right? Or is the Master document open
> in Acrobat Reader outside if Firefox?
>
> If you open the master document in Acrobat Reader inside IE, are you
> able to click a PDF link and have the new PDF open in IE?
>
> What I'm thinking is that the if the Master Document is open in Acrobat
> Reader inside any browser, the link will need to have a target="_blank"
> attribute to make the browser open a new window to hold a new instance
> of Adobe Reader.
>
> Dave Pyles
Yeah, I think you have both the situation and the problem nailed, Dave.
  I don't have any control over how the survey system formats its
reports, so I guess the key question is "why does this create a problem
in FF, but not in IE?".
0
Restorm
9/23/2010 12:56:17 PM
On 9/21/2010 6:34 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 9/21/2010 6:21 PM, David Pyles wrote:
>> Restorm wrote:

>>> Hi, Dave. Yep, I've got the latest version of the Acrobat plug-in for
>>> FF.
>> Hi Storm,
>>
>> Let me see if I have this right:
>>
>> You have the master document open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox, but
>> when you click an embedded PDF link it won't open in Firefox, so you set
>> IE as the default browser and click the link to a PDF in the master
>> document that is open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox and the link
>> opens the new PDF in IE. Is that right? Or is the Master document open
>> in Acrobat Reader outside if Firefox?
>>
>> If you open the master document in Acrobat Reader inside IE, are you
>> able to click a PDF link and have the new PDF open in IE?
>>
>> What I'm thinking is that the if the Master Document is open in Acrobat
>> Reader inside any browser, the link will need to have a target="_blank"
>> attribute to make the browser open a new window to hold a new instance
>> of Adobe Reader.
>>
>> Dave Pyles
>

> In I believe you have to set the local version of the Adobe Reader to
> activate the hotlinks. (Edit Preferences in Version 9.3 but I beleive it
> has been there in previous versions.)
>
> Could there also be a problem with the path to the connected PDF files?
Thanks, but I looked through all the setting in the Preferences of the
Reader, and couldn't find the one you're referring to.  The closest I
could find had to do with opening cross-linked documents in the same
window.  Was that it?  Another question: if these Adobe Reader
Preferences are the problem, why are they only a problem in F, and not
in IE?
0
Restorm
9/23/2010 1:03:46 PM
Restorm wrote:
> On 9/21/2010 6:21 PM, David Pyles wrote:
>> Restorm wrote:

>>> Hi, Dave. Yep, I've got the latest version of the Acrobat plug-in for
>>> FF.
>> Hi Storm,
>>
>> Let me see if I have this right:
>>
>> You have the master document open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox, but
>> when you click an embedded PDF link it won't open in Firefox, so you set
>> IE as the default browser and click the link to a PDF in the master
>> document that is open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox and the link
>> opens the new PDF in IE. Is that right? Or is the Master document open
>> in Acrobat Reader outside if Firefox?
>>
>> If you open the master document in Acrobat Reader inside IE, are you
>> able to click a PDF link and have the new PDF open in IE?
>>
>> What I'm thinking is that the if the Master Document is open in Acrobat
>> Reader inside any browser, the link will need to have a target="_blank"
>> attribute to make the browser open a new window to hold a new instance
>> of Adobe Reader.
>>
>> Dave Pyles
> Yeah, I think you have both the situation and the problem nailed, Dave.
> I don't have any control over how the survey system formats its reports,
> so I guess the key question is "why does this create a problem in FF,
> but not in IE?".
Hi Storm,

Are you saying that if you open the master PDF in IE and have IE set as
our default browser, when you click in a PDF link in the master it WILL
open a new window or tab in IE?

Have you tried saving the master PDF to your desktop and opening it in
Acrobat Reader directly, then opening the secondary PDFs from there?  If
there are absolute paths in the links in the PDF, as they should be, the
secondary PDFs should download.

I have a little time today, if you want to send me a copy of the Master
PDF or a link to one of them, I can play with it a bit and maybe come up
with an answer.  You have my email address.

Dave Pyles
0
David
9/23/2010 2:20:53 PM
On 9/23/2010 9:03 AM, Restorm wrote:
> On 9/21/2010 6:34 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

>>> Hi Storm,
>>>
>>> Let me see if I have this right:
>>>
>>> You have the master document open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox, but
>>> when you click an embedded PDF link it won't open in Firefox, so you set
>>> IE as the default browser and click the link to a PDF in the master
>>> document that is open in Acrobat Reader inside Firefox and the link
>>> opens the new PDF in IE. Is that right? Or is the Master document open
>>> in Acrobat Reader outside if Firefox?
>>>
>>> If you open the master document in Acrobat Reader inside IE, are you
>>> able to click a PDF link and have the new PDF open in IE?
>>>
>>> What I'm thinking is that the if the Master Document is open in Acrobat
>>> Reader inside any browser, the link will need to have a target="_blank"
>>> attribute to make the browser open a new window to hold a new instance
>>> of Adobe Reader.
>>>
>>> Dave Pyles
>>

>> In I believe you have to set the local version of the Adobe Reader to
>> activate the hotlinks. (Edit Preferences in Version 9.3 but I beleive it
>> has been there in previous versions.)
>>
>> Could there also be a problem with the path to the connected PDF files?
> Thanks, but I looked through all the setting in the Preferences of the
> Reader, and couldn't find the one you're referring to. The closest I
> could find had to do with opening cross-linked documents in the same
> window. Was that it? Another question: if these Adobe Reader Preferences
> are the problem, why are they only a problem in F, and not in IE?

I beleive this applied to previous version of Adobe but this is from
version 9.3.4.

In Preferences ----> General

The second from the top "Create links from URL's"

I don't know if this would have caused the problems but
In Preferences ----> Trust Manager
PDF file attachments
and internet access

In Preferences ----> Security Enhansed

There still maybe a path problem

0
Keith
9/23/2010 5:33:59 PM
On 9/23/2010 1:33 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 9/23/2010 9:03 AM, Restorm wrote:

>>> In I believe you have to set the local version of the Adobe Reader to
>>> activate the hotlinks. (Edit Preferences in Version 9.3 but I beleive it
>>> has been there in previous versions.)
>>>
>>> Could there also be a problem with the path to the connected PDF files?
>> Thanks, but I looked through all the setting in the Preferences of the
>> Reader, and couldn't find the one you're referring to. The closest I
>> could find had to do with opening cross-linked documents in the same
>> window. Was that it? Another question: if these Adobe Reader Preferences
>> are the problem, why are they only a problem in F, and not in IE?
>
> I beleive this applied to previous version of Adobe but this is from
> version 9.3.4.
>
> In Preferences ----> General
>
> The second from the top "Create links from URL's"
>
> I don't know if this would have caused the problems but
> In Preferences ----> Trust Manager
> PDF file attachments
> and internet access
>
> In Preferences ----> Security Enhansed
>
> There still maybe a path problem

Thanks, but the "create links from URLs" was already checked, and the
other settings seem to be good.
0
Restorm

Thanks, Dave. Will do.