Predictive Search

Originally I was appalled by it, but over time I have learned to live
with the cyber overreach of Google's "predictive search", and warmed up
to it. On my computer it works well in SeaMonkey and IE, but I can't
seem to get it to work in Firefox. In fact I can't even figure out if
it's a browser setting, a Google account setting, or both. The fact that
it's working fine in one browser but not at all in another suggests that
it's a browser setting, but in Firefox under options I have "Provide
Search Suggestions" checked, and in about:config the string,
"browser.search.suggest.enabled", is set to "true" (the default),
confirming the Options setting.

So if the browser is set up right, as FF seems to be, then it's back to
the Google account. I believe I read that certain Google account
settings are not carried through to every installed browser, so that you
had to log into Google using the specific browser to make your Google
preference apply to that browser. If that's true for predictive search,
which I'm by no means sure of, I have no idea where to find it.
0
Roger
3/14/2018 3:56:48 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

On 2018-03-13 23:56, Roger Fink <fink@manana.org> wrote:

> Originally I was appalled by it, but over time I have learned to live
> with the cyber overreach of Google's "predictive search", and warmed up
> to it. On my computer it works well in SeaMonkey and IE, but I can't
> seem to get it to work in Firefox. In fact I can't even figure out if
> it's a browser setting, a Google account setting, or both. The fact that
> it's working fine in one browser but not at all in another suggests that
> it's a browser setting, but in Firefox under options I have "Provide
> Search Suggestions" checked, and in about:config the string,
> "browser.search.suggest.enabled", is set to "true" (the default),
> confirming the Options setting.
>
> So if the browser is set up right, as FF seems to be, then it's back to
> the Google account. I believe I read that certain Google account
> settings are not carried through to every installed browser, so that you
> had to log into Google using the specific browser to make your Google
> preference apply to that browser. If that's true for predictive search,
> which I'm by no means sure of, I have no idea where to find it.

What do you mean by predictive search on Google? Do you mean when you
type in the search bar at the center of the page on Google, it does not
provide you with auto-complete suggestions? I don't think you can turn
that off, at least I could not find it in search settings. If that's not
working for you, maybe you have some security-oriented AddOn
interfering, like NoScript? You can always delete the Google cookies; if
it's possible to turn that off, then it's saved in the cookies.

As far as I know, "browser.search.suggest.enabled" is related to the
Search Bar, which is kinda invisible if you create a new profile in
latest Firefox. I'm not sure it works from the address-bar itself. I
tried to get it working just now in the address-bar but did not succeed
(on FF52) but I have been turning-off searching from the address-bar for
years, so it's possible I forgot to turn on something while testing.

Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  Don't steal! The government hates the competition.

0
B00ze
3/14/2018 4:30:11 AM
On 3/14/2018 12:30 AM, B00ze wrote:
> On 2018-03-13 23:56, Roger Fink <fink@manana.org> wrote:
>
>> Originally I was appalled by it, but over time I have learned to live
>> with the cyber overreach of Google's "predictive search", and warmed up
>> to it. On my computer it works well in SeaMonkey and IE, but I can't
>> seem to get it to work in Firefox. In fact I can't even figure out if
>> it's a browser setting, a Google account setting, or both. The fact that
>> it's working fine in one browser but not at all in another suggests that
>> it's a browser setting, but in Firefox under options I have "Provide
>> Search Suggestions" checked, and in about:config the string,
>> "browser.search.suggest.enabled", is set to "true" (the default),
>> confirming the Options setting.
>>
>> So if the browser is set up right, as FF seems to be, then it's back to
>> the Google account. I believe I read that certain Google account
>> settings are not carried through to every installed browser, so that you
>> had to log into Google using the specific browser to make your Google
>> preference apply to that browser. If that's true for predictive search,
>> which I'm by no means sure of, I have no idea where to find it.
>
> What do you mean by predictive search on Google? Do you mean when you
> type in the search bar at the center of the page on Google, it does not
> provide you with auto-complete suggestions? I don't think you can turn
> that off, at least I could not find it in search settings. If that's not
> working for you, maybe you have some security-oriented AddOn
> interfering, like NoScript? You can always delete the Google cookies; if
> it's possible to turn that off, then it's saved in the cookies.
>
> As far as I know, "browser.search.suggest.enabled" is related to the
> Search Bar, which is kinda invisible if you create a new profile in
> latest Firefox. I'm not sure it works from the address-bar itself. I
> tried to get it working just now in the address-bar but did not succeed
> (on FF52) but I have been turning-off searching from the address-bar for
> years, so it's possible I forgot to turn on something while testing.
>
> Regards,

Yes, autocomplete is probably the more commonly description, even if it
doesn't really describe the process as well. btw I'm speaking here of
the Google search box, not the URL address box. I don't have no-script
installed but one obvious thing to try would be to clear Google cookies.
Thanks, I'll try that.
0
Roger
3/14/2018 5:23:15 AM
On 3/14/2018 12:30 AM, B00ze wrote:
> On 2018-03-13 23:56, Roger Fink <fink@manana.org> wrote:
>
>> Originally I was appalled by it, but over time I have learned to live
>> with the cyber overreach of Google's "predictive search", and warmed up
>> to it. On my computer it works well in SeaMonkey and IE, but I can't
>> seem to get it to work in Firefox. In fact I can't even figure out if
>> it's a browser setting, a Google account setting, or both. The fact that
>> it's working fine in one browser but not at all in another suggests that
>> it's a browser setting, but in Firefox under options I have "Provide
>> Search Suggestions" checked, and in about:config the string,
>> "browser.search.suggest.enabled", is set to "true" (the default),
>> confirming the Options setting.
>>
>> So if the browser is set up right, as FF seems to be, then it's back to
>> the Google account. I believe I read that certain Google account
>> settings are not carried through to every installed browser, so that you
>> had to log into Google using the specific browser to make your Google
>> preference apply to that browser. If that's true for predictive search,
>> which I'm by no means sure of, I have no idea where to find it.
>
> What do you mean by predictive search on Google? Do you mean when you
> type in the search bar at the center of the page on Google, it does not
> provide you with auto-complete suggestions? I don't think you can turn
> that off, at least I could not find it in search settings. If that's not
> working for you, maybe you have some security-oriented AddOn
> interfering, like NoScript? You can always delete the Google cookies; if
> it's possible to turn that off, then it's saved in the cookies.
>
> As far as I know, "browser.search.suggest.enabled" is related to the
> Search Bar, which is kinda invisible if you create a new profile in
> latest Firefox. I'm not sure it works from the address-bar itself. I
> tried to get it working just now in the address-bar but did not succeed
> (on FF52) but I have been turning-off searching from the address-bar for
> years, so it's possible I forgot to turn on something while testing.
>
> Regards,

Erasing the cookies fixed things. Thanks
0
Roger