Multiprocess total memory use

In the single process system it was easy to watch memory use by looking
at the WS of the single firefox process or using about:memory.

With the MP version, I can't find any aggregate memory use figures.  Am
I missing something?
0
Millwood
5/23/2018 1:36:59 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

Millwood wrote:

> In the single process system it was easy to watch memory use by
> looking at the WS of the single firefox process or using
> about:memory.
>
> With the MP version, I can't find any aggregate memory use figures.
> Am I missing something?

Actually before there were: firefox.exe, flashplayerplugin (don't
remember the extension), and plugin-container.exe.

If you go to about:about, you see a list of about pages.  The one you
probably want is about:performance.  No, a total isn't there but it
reflects more accurately the memory footprint of each process.  In Task
Manager, users would too often use the Working Set memory value rather
than the Private Working Set figure.

If you want even more details, go to about:memory and click on the
Measure button.  Uffdah!
0
VanguardLH
5/23/2018 2:17:51 PM
On 5/23/2018 9:36 AM, Millwood wrote:
> In the single process system it was easy to watch memory use by looking at
> the WS of the single firefox process or using about:memory.
>
> With the MP version, I can't find any aggregate memory use figures.  Am I
> missing something?

I find it 'close enough for government work' to just open Windows Task
Manager and look at what it says. Right now it is showing Firefox(15)
indicating 15 sub-processes but it also says that the total use is
~2,392.4MB and this is what I assume. It also shows the numbers for each of
the other live FF processes. Note that any of these numbers might not match
up with your since I've diddled the number of allowed processes since I
have so much memory installed.
0
John
5/24/2018 7:56:04 PM
John McGaw wrote:
> On 5/23/2018 9:36 AM, Millwood wrote:
>> In the single process system it was easy to watch memory use by
>> looking at the WS of the single firefox process or using about:memory.
>>
>> With the MP version, I can't find any aggregate memory use figures.
>> Am I missing something?
>
> I find it 'close enough for government work' to just open Windows Task
> Manager and look at what it says. Right now it is showing Firefox(15)
> indicating 15 sub-processes but it also says that the total use is
> ~2,392.4MB and this is what I assume. It also shows the numbers for each
> of the other live FF processes. Note that any of these numbers might not
> match up with your since I've diddled the number of allowed processes
> since I have so much memory installed.

My point was that I have to add up all the processes to get a number
that can show a memory use trend - or signal that it's time to restart.
0
Millwood