Memory Redux

On a typical evening, FF is using 178,800K  and it is using
150,000k VM.  At these times I will usually have two tabs
open and nothing in the download cache.

I'm confused and distressed because this is an enormous
amount of memory and I have the uneasy feeling it could
probalby go a good bit higher if I just kept going.

I have 2 gig of ram, a P4, 3.2 HT etc.

But I also run speech recognition software and it too needs
as much resources as it can get.

And, with all the best ntentions, it's amazing how may
processes are running all the time and...I want or need them.

Do I ignore memory usage of 175xxx and the same for VM
usage?  Or, do I try to find out what is going on?

If I were to set limits on cache etc, which has been
suggested, given my resources, how high should the
reasonably be set?

I guess I'm confused about whethe to take this seriously
just because the nubers look so very big.....

Louise
0
louise
1/12/2006 6:10:42 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24305 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

louise wrote:
> On a typical evening, FF is using 178,800K  and it is using 150,000k
> VM.  At these times I will usually have two tabs open and nothing in the
> download cache.
>
> I'm confused and distressed because this is an enormous amount of memory
> and I have the uneasy feeling it could probalby go a good bit higher if
> I just kept going.
>
> I have 2 gig of ram, a P4, 3.2 HT etc.
>
> But I also run speech recognition software and it too needs as much
> resources as it can get.
>
> And, with all the best ntentions, it's amazing how may processes are
> running all the time and...I want or need them.
>
> Do I ignore memory usage of 175xxx and the same for VM usage?  Or, do I
> try to find out what is going on?
>
> If I were to set limits on cache etc, which has been suggested, given my
> resources, how high should the reasonably be set?
>
> I guess I'm confused about whethe to take this seriously just because
> the nubers look so very big.....
>
> Louise

Numbers are just numbers. If your computer is working as you need it,
don't worry about it.

If you are having problems running Firefox with the other apps you need
to have running due to accessibility issues, please post them. Its an
important issue.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
louise wrote:
> On a typical evening, FF is using 178,800K  and it is using 150,000k
> VM.  At these times I will usually have two tabs open and nothing in the
> download cache.
>
> I'm confused and distressed because this is an enormous amount of memory
> and I have the uneasy feeling it could probalby go a good bit higher if
> I just kept going.
>
> I have 2 gig of ram, a P4, 3.2 HT etc.
>
> But I also run speech recognition software and it too needs as much
> resources as it can get.
>
> And, with all the best ntentions, it's amazing how may processes are
> running all the time and...I want or need them.
>
> Do I ignore memory usage of 175xxx and the same for VM usage?  Or, do I
> try to find out what is going on?
>
> If I were to set limits on cache etc, which has been suggested, given my
> resources, how high should the reasonably be set?
>
> I guess I'm confused about whethe to take this seriously just because
> the nubers look so very big.....
>
> Louise

If you have 2gig of RAM, why worry about a program using 178 meg? Ram is
going to do anything for you sitting there unused. Saving it, by not
using it, isnt going to make it last longer.

In both Windows and Macs at least (and I do believe Linux as well) the
OS uses dynamic memory management. If a program requests more memory,
and its available, then it gets it. As long as it doesnt interfere with
other programs, then whats to worry about?

There is also the issue of what is actually 'used' and what is
'reserved' for the program. That depends on the memory management
software in the OS of course, as to whats displayed.

As an example: In pre OS X days on the Mac System (9x or earlier) the
system had a graph showing how much memory was assigned to the program,
and how much of it was used. Funny thing tho, if you assigned a program
50K, and browsed to 2 pages, it showed usage of about 36K. Yet if you
did a reallocation of memory (which required a restart of that program)
and set it to 300K, and then browsed to the exact same 2 pages, the
program would show a usage of a whopping 210K!  Imagine that, these 2
pages suddenly grow on a order of 8 times! Most modern systems dont have
that kind of incorrectness built in, but its good to keep it in mind.

On Windows, at least on some versions, the dynamic memory management may
  cause a performance 'hit' if you come close to exceeding your actual
RAM (with multiple programs), as instead of reducing the programs memory
it simply swaps it to disk for you. To avoid this, I suggest running
fewer programs at one time <g>
0
Moz
1/12/2006 6:29:51 AM
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> louise wrote:
>
>> On a typical evening, FF is using 178,800K  and it is using 150,000k
>> VM.  At these times I will usually have two tabs open and nothing in
>> the download cache.
>>
>> I'm confused and distressed because this is an enormous amount of
>> memory and I have the uneasy feeling it could probalby go a good bit
>> higher if I just kept going.
>>
>> I have 2 gig of ram, a P4, 3.2 HT etc.
>>
>> But I also run speech recognition software and it too needs as much
>> resources as it can get.
>>
>> And, with all the best ntentions, it's amazing how may processes are
>> running all the time and...I want or need them.
>>
>> Do I ignore memory usage of 175xxx and the same for VM usage?  Or, do
>> I try to find out what is going on?
>>
>> If I were to set limits on cache etc, which has been suggested, given
>> my resources, how high should the reasonably be set?
>>
>> I guess I'm confused about whethe to take this seriously just because
>> the nubers look so very big.....
>>
>> Louise
>

> Numbers are just numbers. If your computer is working as you need it,
> don't worry about it.
>
> If you are having problems running Firefox with the other apps you need
> to have running due to accessibility issues, please post them. Its an
> important issue.
>
> Lee

I do find that Dragon Naturally Speaking slows down after
many hours of computer use.  When it gets slower, it also
becomes less accurate.

Usually, closing everything and rebooting, fixes it, but
I'll have to try just closing FF and reopening, without
rebooting the machine.

Might it be wise to set some limits on the cache settings?
And if so, what setting might give me a good balance between
FF performance and system performance?

TIA

Louise
0
louise
1/12/2006 5:32:27 PM
On 1/12/2006 9:32 AM Pacific, louise wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> louise wrote:

<snip>

> Might it be wise to set some limits on the cache settings?
> And if so, what setting might give me a good balance between
> FF performance and system performance?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

If you have a broadband connection, you might try setting the FF cache
to zero and see if you experience any significant degradation.

Irwin

--
Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

About Profiles -
http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About%20Profiles.html
Irwin
1/12/2006 11:57:15 PM
Irwin Greenwald wrote:
> On 1/12/2006 9:32 AM Pacific, louise wrote:
>
>>Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>
>>>louise wrote:
>>>

> <snip>
>
>>Might it be wise to set some limits on the cache settings?
>>And if so, what setting might give me a good balance between
>>FF performance and system performance?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Louise
>

> If you have a broadband connection, you might try setting the FF cache
> to zero and see if you experience any significant degradation.
>
> Irwin

where does one set the ff cache?

Is that just tool/options/privacy/cache?

I thought there was an entry necessary into user.js - and if
so, I don't seem to have that file.....

Thanks again.

Louise
0
louise
1/13/2006 2:09:00 AM
louise wrote:
> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>><snip>
>>
>>>Might it be wise to set some limits on the cache settings?
>>>And if so, what setting might give me a good balance between
>>>FF performance and system performance?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Louise
>>

>>If you have a broadband connection, you might try setting the FF cache
>>to zero and see if you experience any significant degradation.
>>
>>Irwin
>>

> where does one set the ff cache?
>
> Is that just tool/options/privacy/cache?
>
> I thought there was an entry necessary into user.js - and if
> so, I don't seem to have that file.....
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Louise
Its the first one.

I reason you can't find the user.js file is because its self created
file.  That means you create it.
0
gwtc
1/13/2006 2:18:17 AM
gwtc wrote:
> louise wrote:
>
>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> If you have a broadband connection, you might try setting the FF cache
>>> to zero and see if you experience any significant degradation.
>>>
>>> Irwin
>>>

>> where does one set the ff cache?
>>
>> Is that just tool/options/privacy/cache?
>>
>> I thought there was an entry necessary into user.js - and if so, I
>> don't seem to have that file.....
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Louise
>
> Its the first one.
>
> I reason you can't find the user.js file is because its self created
> file.  That means you create it.

Something isn't right....

I just set the tools/options/privacy/cache to 3mb
I cleared the cache
I closed and then reopened FF'
I then started loading booksmarks to see how high memory
usage would go.
It is now supposedly only caching 3mb but memory usage is at
150,668k  and climbing..

Perhaps there is a different setting?

TIA

Louise
louise
1/13/2006 2:46:32 AM
On 1/12/2006 6:46 PM Pacific, louise wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> louise wrote:

>>> where does one set the ff cache?
>>>
>>> Is that just tool/options/privacy/cache?
>>>
>>> I thought there was an entry necessary into user.js - and if so, I
>>> don't seem to have that file.....
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> Louise
>> Its the first one.
>>
>> I reason you can't find the user.js file is because its self created
>> file.  That means you create it.
>
> Something isn't right....
>
> I just set the tools/options/privacy/cache to 3mb
> I cleared the cache
> I closed and then reopened FF'
> I then started loading booksmarks to see how high memory
> usage would go.
> It is now supposedly only caching 3mb but memory usage is at
> 150,668k  and climbing..
>
> Perhaps there is a different setting?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise
The cache you set to 0 is the disk cache.  Now it is using a memory
cache.  As you close thos tabs, memory will be returned to the system.

Irwin

--
Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

About Profiles -
http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About%20Profiles.html
Irwin
1/13/2006 7:09:53 AM
louise wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>
>> louise wrote:

>>> where does one set the ff cache?
>>>
>>> Is that just tool/options/privacy/cache?
>>>
>>> I thought there was an entry necessary into user.js - and if so, I
>>> don't seem to have that file.....
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> Louise
>>

>> Its the first one.
>>
>> I reason you can't find the user.js file is because its self created
>> file.  That means you create it.
>

> Something isn't right....
>
> I just set the tools/options/privacy/cache to 3mb
> I cleared the cache
> I closed and then reopened FF'
> I then started loading booksmarks to see how high memory usage would go.
> It is now supposedly only caching 3mb but memory usage is at 150,668k
> and climbing..
>
> Perhaps there is a different setting?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

Louise,
Setting the Option in "Tools/Options/Privacy/Cache/" only sets the
amount of space on your disk that FF will use to cache previously
visited web pages.

I am on a 3 Mb DSL connection and have that setting set at "6000"

Type "about:config" into the address box of FF and hit enter. You will
get a page containing FFs Preferences.
Look for an entry called:

"browser.cache.memory.capacity"

Right click this entry and select "Modify".

You can then enter an amount of memory you wish to limit FF to.
I have mine set to "16000" which is about 16 MBs.

Now, one thing you need to know. This setting "Does Not Limit" all FF
memory usage on a Windows system to what ever value you set. However, it
will reduce the amount of physical memory that FF uses.

At this moment on my system, FF is using "93 MBs phisical memory (RAM)"
and 85 MBs of "Paged Memory". This is with 26 pages (Tabs) opened in FF.

If you Minimise FF to the Taskbar then you will release several MBs of
the Physical memory back to Windows. The paging file will remain basicly
unchanged.

For an example, I just minimised FF and in TaskManager I now show FF
using "5 MBs (RAM) and the same 85 MBs of paged memory".

However, the RAM usage will start to grow even with FF minimised. As FF
refreshes pages the RAM usage will rise but you will find that the paged
  memory will stay at basicly the same amount, it may rise or fall a
small amount.

To release the RAM, Maximise and again Minimise.

There are many people that seem to think that if you minimise a window
in a Windows OS that the physical memory being used is added to the page
file. This is Incorrect.

Bottom line is: Set the option I spoke of and the "Total RAM Memory"
usage will be reduced.

If this does not solve your memory problem then there are other options
that can be set in Windows, (depending on the version of your OS) to
help with the usage problem.

--
Bill McCartney
Union City, Georgia

E-mail rot 13ed
ovyyzppg@oryyfbhgu.arg
0
Bill

memory, memory, memory
Name: bruce Email: bruceatlmcsoftwaredotcom Product: Firefox Summary: memory, memory, memory Comments: Hi, I run firefox all day like I run Outlook. I open/close a zillion tabs using a single instance of firefox, usually no more than 6 tabs at a time. But I've had 20 tabs open at once while I'm culling the NY Times articles I want to print. Every so often my mouse stops moving. Taskmgr shows firefox has 256 Megs of memory (or something equally large) and is using 95% of the cpu. Why?? Make this nonsense stop! Forget the IE/Firefox/Chrome competition. T...

firefox 3 beta 1 mac os 10.5.1 -- memory usage seems to be worse (i.e., firefox uses more memory)
Name: jeffrey p. Email: ff3b1atff3b1dotexjaydotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: firefox 3 beta 1 mac os 10.5.1 -- memory usage seems to be worse (i.e., firefox uses more memory) Comments: firefox 2.x vs. firefox 3 beta 1 on mac os 10.5.1 i've been using firefox 2 for a while. my standard m.o. is to initially open nine windows and leave those open all the time. the browser is open for days and days. each of the initial nine windows has multiple tabs -- 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 7, 11, 16, 18. after a few days, the real memory usage as reported by activity monitor usually gro...

Firefox memory leak (for Firefox testers)
Here's a survey a friend sent me: Here's the blurb: Are you currently married or in a serious romantic relationship? If so, you're invited to participate in our online study examining intimacy in close relationships. The questionnaire is available at: http://survey.clarku.edu/IntimateSafety/takeSurvey.asp?surveyID=138 When I ran through the survey and got to the end, on the 3rd page of viewing the reports, Firefox goes into using 80+-99% of memory. This is starting from a fresh opening of Firefox. Did it twice in a row. You can go through the survey without...

Locking shared memory into physical memory is not supported
How do you configure Solaris or Sybase to support Locking shared memory into physical memory? I get the kernel message "Locking shared memory into physical memory is not supported" every time that the sybase server starts up. It is my understanding that Solaris supports this locking into physical memory using the "mlock" system call, why does Sybase think that it is not supported? How can I enable this feature? Doug, On solaris you really do not need to use "mlock" for share memory if you are using ISM flag while creating share segment a...

Firefox 3.5 Beta release. When closing programm process remains active and prevents restart of Firefox under Windows Vista. Memory intenese flash caused firefox to freeze
Name: Sebastian Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.5 Beta release. When closing programm process remains active and prevents restart of Firefox under Windows Vista. Memory intenese flash caused firefox to freeze Comments: The problem stated above happend quite often after Firefox was running for some time 3-4 Hours. When restarting Firefox a message that firefox was already running popped of, and the process had to be stopped via task manager (ctrl alt del). Second thing I recognized was when starting 2-3 memory intense Flash-Applications in tabs firefox would freeze (games f...

Memory and More Memory
What's the news on fixing this memory issue with FireFox/Thunderbird. T= he = two biggest memory gulpers I've ever used on any computer-bar none. And= = Why do these Mozilla apps take so long to long. It not worth having the= se = apps as defaults for surfing or email/usenets. How could anyone lauch a= = new internet suite with so much system demand..and through constant = updates, still overlook the memory issues. I'm questioning the integrit= y = of Mozilla these days and Opera 8-9 runs like a scaulded dog. I think I'= ll = stay with O...

firefox support
Name: hen Product: Firefox Summary: firefox support Comments: firefox should support Firefox 2.x.x.x and 3.x.x - 5 years to 7 years should be good support Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

support/what support
Name: William Johnson Email: william0992atsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: support/what support Comments: your support? department for Firefox issues is nothing but a circular maze of unbelievably confusing information that is of no use for the layman and I would dump this piece of trash if I didn't need it for certain websites. I don't know how to reprogram the many bugs or fix the many websites broken by this thing and its "error console" with no directions as to what to do with it. What is it's purpose if there is no help function for it? ...

Memory not supporting
Hello While I am trying to install NetWare 4.11 in a new Celeron 1.2 GHz 40.0 GB HDD and 256 MB Ram computer, Total server memory is showing only 64MB. Please advice how to enable 256 MB ram in NetWare 4.11. Support pack 6 is installed Do you have any memory manager in CONFIG.SYS such as HIMEM or EMM386 ? If so, remove it. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Support Connection SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) You likely used W9x DOS to sys the drive. All W9x DOSs use a memory manager. USE a real DOS, MS DOS 5.22 of lower, Novell DOS 7, etc. -- Dave Lunn NSF Sys...

Firefox or not Firefox

FIrefox support
I have had a message posted now for about two weeks in here and no replies - I'm used to the old Netscape support group that seemed to be very involved in anyone's issues - a lot of discussion and support. Does anyone have suggestions for links for technical support for Firefox browser? I like the browser and would like to switch over from Netscape but I need some help. Appreciate any ideas and links. On 23.09.2007 01:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused technical80@yahoo.com to generate the following:? : > I have had a message posted now for about two weeks in here ...

Firefox Support?
Hopefully someone will answer this. I have seen several posts asking about Firefox support in NW65SP3 with no responses. I see that support should be there in SP3, but it isn't working on any of the servers in our school district. I am running FF 1.0.4, and the 4.0.5 iPrint client. We are still receiving the message that iPrint is not installed. Is there something that I need to do on the server to enable iPrint support for other browsers? -- ----------------------------------------------------------------- Timothy M. Musa Community Consolidated School District 93 ...

Firefox support
There is a new IPrint client (4.05) on Novell's site. Does this version support Firefox? Thanks. MC No issues for iPrint 4.0.5 under Firefox 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. I also had no issues under earlier iPrint clients either. >>> Mike<curt@fordhamprep.org> 4/14/2005 10:55 AM >>> There is a new IPrint client (4.05) on Novell's site. Does this version support Firefox? Thanks. MC Michael Fraser wrote: > No issues for iPrint 4.0.5 under Firefox 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. > > I also had no issues under earlier iPrint clients either. > >...

why not support firefox
Name: Email: michelwongatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: why not support firefox Comments: Dear Sirs I notice that many China website e.g. http://v.163.com/tvlist/borpage_81.html not support firefox but only IE. The box said : "您现在使用浏览器(如FireFox)无法正常观看,请使用 IE(Internet Explorer)浏览器打开此页面!". This is only 1 example, but there are many more cases like this from China sites. Another 1 is CCTV(http://vod.cctv.com/podcast/index), but after I ungrade to 3.5.3 recently, CCTV China pop-up a small box asking me to plugin, after that I can view it. Please improv...

Web resources about - Memory Redux - mozilla.support.firefox

Memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In psychology , memory is the process in which information is encoded, stored, and retrieved. Encoding allows information from the outside world ...

Read-Only Memory
Read-Only Memory publishes high-quality books and articles that document defining moments in videogame history.

Former union boss John Maitland claims memory failure in criminal trial for misleading ICAC
An expert on the vagaries of human memory will give evidence in the first criminal trial resulting from ICAC's landmark coal inquiries.

Maths app trial works on memory and the neuroplasticity of the brain
Maths success is based on numeracy and working memory and an app being trialled at a Melbourne primary school, with Monash University neuroscientists' ...

How can I clear my iPhone’s memory without rebooting?
Ever find your iPhone or iPad running slower than youd like it to, and wished there was some easy way to flush the Random Access Memory (RAM) ...

Cisco, SanDisk May Pass on Violin Memory
Barron's Cisco, SanDisk May Pass on Violin Memory Barron's Violin is considering options but the remaining most likely potential suitor is ...

Intel Plows Money into Memory, a $2.6B Business, Says Wells
Intel ( INTC ) may be making $2.6 billion in revenue from non-volatile memory chips this year, estimates Wells Fargo ’s David Wong in a note ...

In-memory platform delivers faster business intelligence
... demand from industries such as eCommerce and financial services to have instant analysis on live data. To meet this demand, in-memory computing ...

Is Hillary’s Memory Failing? Clinton Tells Florida Supporters To Vote On The Wrong Day
Is Hillary’s Memory Failing? Clinton Tells Florida Supporters To Vote On The Wrong Day

The more we learn about memory, the weirder it gets
What is memory? The past few years have seen an explosion in our understanding of the answer to that seemingly simple question.