Kill "Tab browsing" in 57?

I HATE tabs.  I had run extensions on previous FF installations which
basically forced FF to open a new window, not a new tab, but I don't see
one available for 57.  Anyone know a way to get 57 to open in a new
window, rather than a tab?
0
Dan
8/1/2018 2:48:33 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

In article
<mailman.471.1533091804.17372.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Dan <none@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I HATE tabs.  I had run extensions on previous FF installations which
> basically forced FF to open a new window, not a new tab, but I don't see
> one available for 57.  Anyone know a way to get 57 to open in a new
> window, rather than a tab?

I love Tabs, particularly if they display in the correct place... Under
the toolbars.
But that's another story...  ;-)

Back to the plot.
I thought Ctrl+N opened a new Fx window...

Pressing Shift when clicking on a BookMark will open it in a new window.

Pressing Shift while clicking a URL or link in something will open it in a
new window.

Finally, Look in Options-General-Tabs and the second config item in the
list has a setting...   Open in new Tab or New window. (Not the exact
wording but the gist...)

DOR

0
Ormail
8/1/2018 6:01:54 AM
On 7/31/2018 10:48 PM, Dan wrote:
> I HATE tabs.  I had run extensions on previous FF installations which
> basically forced FF to open a new window, not a new tab, but I don't see
> one available for 57.  Anyone know a way to get 57 to open in a new window,
> rather than a tab?

Find the setting that says "Open links in tabs instead of new windows" and
make sure that it unchecked. It has been around for as long as I can
remember and is still there in 62 beta. I can't imagine why anybody would
want to have a bunch of separate instances of the browser around consuming
resources but, I guess, to each his own.
0
John
8/1/2018 6:22:16 PM
On 08/01/2018 12:22 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> I can't imagine why anybody would want to have a bunch of separate
> instances of the browser around consuming resources but, I guess, to
> each his own.

I don't think windows equate to instances of the browser.  (At least not
for a while.)

Try moving a tab out away from the window it's from and it will become
it's own window.  Move a tab from one window (possibly it's own) back to
another window and it becomes a tab in the target window.  I highly
doubt that this can easily be done across processes / instances of the
browser.

Also, last time I tried to purposefully open another instance of
Firefox, it actually complained and said that there is another instance
running.  I've also had this message if Firefox closed without cleaning
up it's lock file.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

To be able to run several instances at the same time you have to create
different profiles.

Gabriela
QA Mozilla Hispano Team Responsible

On 1 August 2018 at 19:02, Grant Taylor via support-firefox <
support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 08/01/2018 12:22 PM, John McGaw wrote:
>
>> I can't imagine why anybody would want to have a bunch of separate
>> instances of the browser around consuming resources but, I guess, to each
>> his own.
>>

> I don't think windows equate to instances of the browser.  (At least not
> for a while.)
>
> Try moving a tab out away from the window it's from and it will become
> it's own window.  Move a tab from one window (possibly it's own) back to
> another window and it becomes a tab in the target window.  I highly doubt
> that this can easily be done across processes / instances of the browser.
>
> Also, last time I tried to purposefully open another instance of Firefox,
> it actually complained and said that there is another instance running.
> I've also had this message if Firefox closed without cleaning up it's lock
> file.
>

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

--0000000000005d63350572689e66

sans-serif;font-size:small">To be able to run several instances at the same=
 time you have to create different profiles.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_e=
xtra"><br clear=3D"all"><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=
font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-family:verdana,sa=
support-firefox <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:support-firefox@lis=
ts.mozilla.org" target=3D"_blank">support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org</a>&gt;=
8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class=3D"">On 08/01/=
2018 12:22 PM, John McGaw wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I can&#39;t imagine why anybody would want to have a bunch of separate inst=
ances of the browser around consuming resources but, I guess, to each his o=
wn.<br>
I don&#39;t think windows equate to instances of the browser.=C2=A0 (At lea=
st not for a while.)<br>
Try moving a tab out away from the window it&#39;s from and it will become =
it&#39;s own window.=C2=A0 Move a tab from one window (possibly it&#39;s ow=
n) back to another window and it becomes a tab in the target window.=C2=A0 =
I highly doubt that this can easily be done across processes / instances of=
 the browser.<br>
Also, last time I tried to purposefully open another instance of Firefox, i=
t actually complained and said that there is another instance running.=C2=
=A0 I&#39;ve also had this message if Firefox closed without cleaning up it=
-- <br>
Grant. . . .<br>
e</a><br>

--0000000000005d63350572689e66--