Is it a firefox problem or an adobe flash install problem that the plugin just won't install

I'm on Windows XP with Firefox 35.0.1 and I received a message to 
install the latest flash plugin which I've done many times before.

I was absolutely positive that I went to the correct Adobe domain
and flash version test location, and I downloaded the flash plugin
stub.

But it just won't install.

1. I kill Firefox.
2. I doubleclick on the adobe stub installer.
3. It downloads the rest of whatever it needs (takes a few minutes).
4. It then says it has completed successfully and deletes the stub.

But, much to my dismay, time and time again (the definition of 
insanity, btw), I get the same results.

What do I need to do differently to get out of this loop?
Is it a firefox issue or an adobe issue anyway?
0
Alan
2/9/2015 3:41:19 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

12 Replies
1321 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 28

Download and install the full installer from the website, installation 
problem section at the bottom of the page.
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header

El 09/02/2015 a las 11:41, Alan Metzel escribió:
> I'm on Windows XP with Firefox 35.0.1 and I received a message to
> install the latest flash plugin which I've done many times before.
>
> I was absolutely positive that I went to the correct Adobe domain
> and flash version test location, and I downloaded the flash plugin
> stub.
>
> But it just won't install.
>
> 1. I kill Firefox.
> 2. I doubleclick on the adobe stub installer.
> 3. It downloads the rest of whatever it needs (takes a few minutes).
> 4. It then says it has completed successfully and deletes the stub.
>
> But, much to my dismay, time and time again (the definition of
> insanity, btw), I get the same results.
>
> What do I need to do differently to get out of this loop?
> Is it a firefox issue or an adobe issue anyway?
>

0
MrGatoChile
2/9/2015 1:01:01 AM
Alan Metzel wrote on 2/9/2015 10:41 AM:
> I'm on Windows XP with Firefox 35.0.1 and I received a message to
> install the latest flash plugin which I've done many times before.
>
> I was absolutely positive that I went to the correct Adobe domain
> and flash version test location, and I downloaded the flash plugin
> stub.
>
> But it just won't install.
>
> 1. I kill Firefox.
> 2. I doubleclick on the adobe stub installer.
> 3. It downloads the rest of whatever it needs (takes a few minutes).
> 4. It then says it has completed successfully and deletes the stub.
>
> But, much to my dismay, time and time again (the definition of
> insanity, btw), I get the same results.
>
> What do I need to do differently to get out of this loop?
> Is it a firefox issue or an adobe issue anyway?
>

Uninstall Flash player in Windows Add or Remove Programs.  Download the 
Flash stub installer at <http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/>

Make sure all browsers are closed.  Try the install again.

-- 
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Lead me not into temptation (I can find the way myself).
0
Ed
2/9/2015 4:10:35 PM
On 2015-02-09 10:41 AM, Alan Metzel wrote:
> I'm on Windows XP [snip description of inability to install Flash plug-in]

To install the latest Flash player updates, run the Uninstall Flash 
program first. Find it here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html.

Read the whole page, it's informative.

Shut down FF, and run the uninstall program, then install the new 
version of the plug-in. Reboot.

However, if it still doesn't install, XP is your problem. Bummer, but 
there it is.

HTH & Good luck,

-- 
Best,
Wolf K.
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca
0
Wolf
2/9/2015 4:13:11 PM
Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2015-02-09 10:41 AM, Alan Metzel wrote:
>> >I'm on Windows XP [snip description of inability to install Flash plug-in]
> To install the latest Flash player updates, run the Uninstall Flash
> program first. Find it here:
> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html.
>
> Read the whole page, it's informative.

It's noteworthy that every time Adobe updates Flash, they also update 
the Flash uninstaller, although there's a lag of a couple of days, 
between the two.

This one isn't obvious from the Adobe page, but if you follow updates at 
MajorGeeks, they always have the most recent release (including the 
version number).

For some tools, if you're having sufficient problems that you need to 
uninstall (either permanent removal, or clean removal to facilitate 
reinstallation), you want the provided uninstaller, and not just relying 
on going through the normal process in Windows or MacOS.

Adobe Flash is one of these, and a lot of AV tools provide similar 
uninstallers.

Smith

0
NFN
2/9/2015 7:46:05 PM
On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:10:09 -0400, MrGatoChile wrote:

> Download and install the full installer from the website, installation 
> problem section at the bottom of the page.
> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header

That does not seem to be the *full* flash installer, but, anyway, 
it does check your version, and, for me, it said flash wasn't installed
even after I followed these steps, reputed to work (but failed for me).

0. I checked my flash version, and it said flash was not installed:
   https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

1. I followed the normal flash stub install procedure:
   http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

   That said it worked; but it actually failed because checking the flash
   version showed that flash wasn't installed.

2. I ran the flash uninstaller provided by Adobe (instead of the 
   Windows "start and remove programs" uninstallation of flash:
   https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller

3. Then I downloaded the full flash installer (this is not a stub):
   https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html  

4. Then I went back to step 0 above, to check my flash version, 
   and it still wasn't there.

I have a lot of protective extensions, so, I'm going to have to start
fresh by blowing away firefox and its cache directory, and then starting
all over from scratch. 
0
Alan
2/10/2015 5:34:36 AM
"Alan Metzel" <AlanMetzel@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:mailman.728.1423546538.5937.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org...
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:10:09 -0400, MrGatoChile wrote:
>
>> Download and install the full installer from the website, installation
>> problem section at the bottom of the page.
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header
>
> That does not seem to be the *full* flash installer, but, anyway,
> it does check your version, and, for me, it said flash wasn't installed
> even after I followed these steps, reputed to work (but failed for me).
>
> 0. I checked my flash version, and it said flash was not installed:
> 
> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>
> 1. I followed the normal flash stub install procedure:
>   http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
>
>   That said it worked; but it actually failed because checking the flash
>   version showed that flash wasn't installed.
>
> 2. I ran the flash uninstaller provided by Adobe (instead of the
>   Windows "start and remove programs" uninstallation of flash:
> 
> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller
>
> 3. Then I downloaded the full flash installer (this is not a stub):
>   https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
>
> 4. Then I went back to step 0 above, to check my flash version,
>   and it still wasn't there.
>
> I have a lot of protective extensions, so, I'm going to have to start
> fresh by blowing away firefox and its cache directory, and then starting
> all over from scratch.


Hi,

In another forum, as an answer to my posting there of the same XP related 
post that I posted here on Sat Feb 6, I was advised to try the following and 
it appears, so far, to have worked.

Restart XP

Uninstall Flash with Adobe uninstaller

Restart XP

Install ESR version 13 with the .msi extension

Restart XP



I did this and, at least in the short term, my issues seem to have resolved. 
I have not, however, had time to use it extensively but I did beat it up 
pretty good and it all seemed to run fairly well.








0
R
2/10/2015 10:59:10 AM
On 2/10/2015 5:59 AM, R D wrote:
> "Alan Metzel" <AlanMetzel@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.728.1423546538.5937.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org...
>> On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:10:09 -0400, MrGatoChile wrote:
>>
>>> Download and install the full installer from the website, installation
>>> problem section at the bottom of the page.
>>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header
>>
>> That does not seem to be the *full* flash installer, but, anyway,
>> it does check your version, and, for me, it said flash wasn't installed
>> even after I followed these steps, reputed to work (but failed for me).
>>
>> 0. I checked my flash version, and it said flash was not installed:
>>
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>>
>> 1. I followed the normal flash stub install procedure:
>>    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
>>
>>    That said it worked; but it actually failed because checking the flash
>>    version showed that flash wasn't installed.
>>
>> 2. I ran the flash uninstaller provided by Adobe (instead of the
>>    Windows "start and remove programs" uninstallation of flash:
>>
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller
>>
>> 3. Then I downloaded the full flash installer (this is not a stub):
>>    https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
>>
>> 4. Then I went back to step 0 above, to check my flash version,
>>    and it still wasn't there.
>>
>> I have a lot of protective extensions, so, I'm going to have to start
>> fresh by blowing away firefox and its cache directory, and then starting
>> all over from scratch.
>
>
> Hi,
>
> In another forum, as an answer to my posting there of the same XP related
> post that I posted here on Sat Feb 6, I was advised to try the following and
> it appears, so far, to have worked.
>
> Restart XP
>
> Uninstall Flash with Adobe uninstaller
>
> Restart XP
>
> Install ESR version 13 with the .msi extension
>
> Restart XP
>
>
>
> I did this and, at least in the short term, my issues seem to have resolved.
> I have not, however, had time to use it extensively but I did beat it up
> pretty good and it all seemed to run fairly well.
>
>

In my opinion whether you are running XP, 8.1, or any operating system 
you should always restart the computer be doing any thing else on the 
computer.

The restart remove all fragments of the uninstalled program from the 
computer.  In fact some programs leave a small executeable to be run 
during the start up that remove additional parts of the uninstalled 
program.


0
Keith
2/10/2015 12:13:09 PM
NFN Smith wrote:
>
> For some tools, if you're having sufficient problems that you need to
> uninstall (either permanent removal, or clean removal to facilitate
> reinstallation), you want the provided uninstaller, and not just relying
> on going through the normal process in Windows or MacOS.
>
> Adobe Flash is one of these, and a lot of AV tools provide similar
> uninstallers.
>
> Smith
>
With Mac OS, you do not have the problem of having to uninstall the old 
plugin, since the new one simply replaces it.

0
EE
2/10/2015 8:57:51 PM
Alan Metzel wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:10:09 -0400, MrGatoChile wrote:
>
>> Download and install the full installer from the website, installation
>> problem section at the bottom of the page.
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header
>
> That does not seem to be the *full* flash installer, but, anyway,
> it does check your version, and, for me, it said flash wasn't installed
> even after I followed these steps, reputed to work (but failed for me).
>
> 0. I checked my flash version, and it said flash was not installed:
>     https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>
> 1. I followed the normal flash stub install procedure:
>     http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
>
>     That said it worked; but it actually failed because checking the flash
>     version showed that flash wasn't installed.
>
> 2. I ran the flash uninstaller provided by Adobe (instead of the
>     Windows "start and remove programs" uninstallation of flash:
>     https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller
>
> 3. Then I downloaded the full flash installer (this is not a stub):
>     https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
>
> 4. Then I went back to step 0 above, to check my flash version,
>     and it still wasn't there.
>
> I have a lot of protective extensions, so, I'm going to have to start
> fresh by blowing away firefox and its cache directory, and then starting
> all over from scratch.
>
If you are using Windows, make sure that you have the correct installer 
for Firefox.  The one for Internet Explorer does not work with Firefox.

0
EE
2/10/2015 8:59:59 PM
On 02/10/2015 03:57 PM, EE wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote:
>>
>> For some tools, if you're having sufficient problems that you need to
>> uninstall (either permanent removal, or clean removal to facilitate
>> reinstallation), you want the provided uninstaller, and not just relying
>> on going through the normal process in Windows or MacOS.
>>
>> Adobe Flash is one of these, and a lot of AV tools provide similar
>> uninstallers.
>>
>> Smith
>>
> With Mac OS, you do not have the problem of having to uninstall the old
> plugin, since the new one simply replaces it.
>

The same on Linux.

-- 
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.0a1
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides](https://www.coexist.org/)
0
WaltS48
2/11/2015 1:04:10 AM
EE wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote:
>>
>> For some tools, if you're having sufficient problems that you need to
>> uninstall (either permanent removal, or clean removal to facilitate
>> reinstallation), you want the provided uninstaller, and not just relying
>> on going through the normal process in Windows or MacOS.
>>
>> Adobe Flash is one of these, and a lot of AV tools provide similar
>> uninstallers.
>>
>> Smith
>>
> With Mac OS, you do not have the problem of having to uninstall the old
> plugin, since the new one simply replaces it.
>


That's true, although Adobe does provide an uninstaller for Flash for Mac.

I assume that normally it's not needed (especially since Mac doesn't 
have the abomination of the Windows Registry) but the fact that it is 
there (and that Adobe is maintaining it) implies that there are rare 
occasions where there are more complex problems, and where it may be 
desirable to use Adobe's uninstaller to get a truly clean removal.

Smith
0
NFN
2/11/2015 3:22:33 PM
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:59:59 -0700, EE wrote:

> If you are using Windows, make sure that you have the correct installer 
> for Firefox.  The one for Internet Explorer does not work with Firefox.

I was definitely using the right uninstaller and installer.
I finally gave up.
It was for my kid's computer. 
And she is now just using Chrome and it works, for some reason.
So, while I don't understand why I am having so much trouble, it's
over with because it was too difficult for me.

I do thank you very much for your advice, and I'm just sorry that it
didn't work. 
0
Alan
2/15/2015 12:46:11 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Firefox won't recognize flash player plugin and won't re-install flash plugin
Name: Scott Coppersmith Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox won't recognize flash player plugin and won't re-install flash plugin Comments: Firefox 3 beta 4 "forgets" that the flash plugin is installed and when it tries to autoinstall I get the error "install-977..rdf (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist" It started doing this with Beta 3 after I installed the DownloadHelper add-on. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 ...

Firefox 3 won't recognize installed Adobe Flash Plugin
Name: Richard Email: surveyrichardathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3 won't recognize installed Adobe Flash Plugin Comments: I have downloaded and installed the Adobe Flash 9 Plugin several times, yet Firefox 3.0.1 continues to flag websites as requiring an additional plugin, that being Adobe Flash. This is occurring on one of the three PCs where I have Firefox 3.0.1 installed. All are Windows XP based, two being XP Pro Version 2002 SP2, and the other being XP Home SP3. It is one of the XP Pro systems that is experiencing the problem. I do have full a...

The Firefox 3.0 RC2 don't install the adobe flash player plugin
Name: Jose Henrique Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: The Firefox 3.0 RC2 don't install the adobe flash player plugin Comments: When I access the web site http://g1.globo.com/, the firefox ask for the flash player. I install but it don't install. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox won't install plugins
When I go to a web site that uses Macromedia Flash Player, Firefox offers to install it. But when I hit the button to do it, the installer doesn't work. The installer window comes up looking normal (except that the window which is supposed to show the license agreement is empty), but when I hit OK, the window simply blanks and says "Installing plugins...." -- and apparently does nothing ever again, since it is still sitting there unchanged two hours later. ...

Whidbey installation problem
Hi I'm having a problem installing the PDC whidbey version and I'm wondering if anyone experienced the same problem and got it solved. I've tried to install Whidbey on two different OS versions, I tried a clean Longhorn version (pdc bits) and a Windows 2003 server standard edition with Yukon (beta 1, pdc) installed and all security updates from windowsupdate. Both are running under Virtual PC (which I gues is probably the source of all problems) After starting the installation, the .NET Prerequisites need to be installed (Frontpage server extensions, something else and the runtime f...

Firefox beta2 problems installing Adobe Flash Player
Name: Nate W Email: khaosdnbatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox beta2 problems installing Adobe Flash Player Comments: I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on x86, I already have flash player installed for Firefox 2 but in FF3beta2 I get a 'install plugins' bar a the top, I get the license agreement pop-up dialog for Adobe Flash Player but it fails to install. I've 'installed' FF3beta2 in my home directory and am running it with only my user privileges. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b2) Gecko/2007121016 Firefox/3.0b2 ...

Firefox 3 / Adobe plug-in won't install
I upgraded from Firefox 2 to Firefox 3 today; but the Adobe plug-in no longer works. It was working in Firefox 2. I have Adobe 8 Pro installed; when I download and try to install the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in for Firefox, the installation stops saying I already have a version of Adobe installed (which is correct). How do I get Firefox 3 to work with my Adobe 8 Pro? Fred Goodwin, CMA keyboarded, On 6/19/2008 12:49 PM : > I upgraded from Firefox 2 to Firefox 3 today; but the Adobe plug-in no > longer works. It was working in Firefox 2. > > I have Adobe 8 Pro insta...

Firefox says needs plugin but won't install it!
Name: Bill Email: wyee2atnycdotrrdotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox says needs plugin but won't install it! Comments: Visiting this Zone Labs url for a demo of their product. http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/media/flash/clientTutorial/zaff.html Get pop up saying needs to install missing flash player plugin from Adobe. I click to install, accept Adobe download license agreement, and Firefox says it must restart to install the new plugin. I click okay to allow restart... when it restarts it shows my last url's but comes back to same error sa...

valuable Firefox tool won't install on defective Firefox 3.0.5
Name: Gary Smukal Email: gary_smukalatsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: valuable Firefox tool won't install on defective Firefox 3.0.5 Comments: I was trying to install Copy URL + 1.3.4 - and I get this idiot message: "Copy URL + 1.3.3 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.0.5. I WAS NOT trying to install version 1.3.3 - because I know it doesn't work. version 1.3.4 DOES work on my other computer which had it installed when I upgraded from Firefox 3.0.4. This is probably the most important tool in Firefox it shouldn't ev...

Firefox 3b4 can't install adobe flash automatically
Name: Jesse Wang Email: wjxhomeatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox 3b4 can't install adobe flash automatically Comments: with error message: Firefox could not install this item because "install-320..rdf" (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist. Please contact the author about this problem. It seems like the double .. causes trouble. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox 1.0 Install Has No Digital Signature--Isn't This A Problem? Why Not?
I just downloaded and started installing Firefox 1.0 when a Windows Popup came up telling me that there was no digital signature and that I shouldn't install anything without valid digital signatures. There probably are a dozen good/valid reasons why Firefox has no digital signature but don't you think in this day and age someone should address this upfront--like an informational message before the install warning hits--so one can say "okay--not a problem" and go on with the installation? Security issues are suppose to be a big now and one reason why Firefox can m...

Just after Firefox 2.0.0.2 installed itself this morning, my printers are blown away. Can't install as my spoolers are preventing any action.
Name: Ron Mayer Email: neymetalsaterolsdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Just after Firefox 2.0.0.2 installed itself this morning, my printers are blown away. Can't install as my spoolers are preventing any action. Comments: Error signature szAppName : spoolsv.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2696 szModName:SR32DLL szModver: 6.1.520.1 offset:0002e888 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

so far so good...bu there is a ''problem'', i have firefox 2 installed on my pc and gran paradiso, and when i open gran paradiso it tries to load the settings of the other browser and that is pretty a
Name: Alex Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 2 Summary: so far so good...bu there is a ''problem'', i have firefox 2 installed on my pc and gran paradiso, and when i open gran paradiso it tries to load the settings of the other browser and that is pretty annoing. Comments: so far so good...bu there is a ''problem'', i have firefox 2 installed on my pc and gran paradiso, and when i open gran paradiso it tries to load the addons of the other browser and that is pretty annoing, cause they aint compatible. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Window...

I just installed the update 3.5.2 and now my Norton 360 v.3.5 toolbar and IPS won't work w/Firefox!
Name: Amanda Dindal Email: amanda_rj7atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I just installed the update 3.5.2 and now my Norton 360 v.3.5 toolbar and IPS won't work w/Firefox! Comments: I, regrettably updated both Firefox and my Norton 360 product the same day. I immediately got a message that my Norton is not compatible with the Firefox 3.5.2. This is completely unacceptable and ridiculous. A product which I purchased to protect me--especially while on the internet (and from it) now won't work in the browser. VERY DISAPPOINTING, to say the least. Browser Det...

Web resources about - Is it a firefox problem or an adobe flash install problem that the plugin just won't install - mozilla.support.firefox

Resources last updated: 11/22/2015 4:43:11 PM