I don't seem to understand Sync.

I use it.  Love it.   Basically.   But I'm finding issues.
I just went through my 1400 bookmarks and checked things like http
instead of https and fixed them.   No issues.

FF 59.0.2 just loaded yesterday in Linux, and I started FF and when I
hit the settings hamburger menu button that sync now said last update
dec 31.   So I started it.   S**T.   I now have some 1800 bookmarks.
Seems Firefox keeps history and all those http bookmarks came down.  SO
now I have 2 of about 400 links.

I have the extension that finds dupes installed and used it to strip
most of them out, then cherry picked the other items.

Then for the heck of it after sync was idle, I exited and started a new
profile (firefox -p).    Started sync and now I had some 2000.  I
brought back folders I had deleted and still had these http and https's.
Links I moved from folder A to B were now in both etc.

No matter what I do, I can't get firefox to give me a clean new profile
with the same # of bookmarks, I always seem to get some trash history,
or all trash history.

Any ideas how to solve this?   I could start a new sync login but I only
have so many email addresses, and that's not an answer in reality.

Please bear with me on this rant, the numbers are very approximate, not
real numbers.   Maybe 1250 bookmarks.

0
Big
3/29/2018 6:27:19 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24199 articles. 7 followers. Post Follow

On 03/29/2018 02:27 PM, Big Al wrote:
> I use it.  Love it.   Basically.   But I'm finding issues.
> I just went through my 1400 bookmarks and checked things like http
> instead of https and fixed them.   No issues.
>
> FF 59.0.2 just loaded yesterday in Linux, and I started FF and when I
> hit the settings hamburger menu button that sync now said last update
> dec 31.   So I started it.   S**T.   I now have some 1800 bookmarks.
> Seems Firefox keeps history and all those http bookmarks came down.  SO
> now I have 2 of about 400 links.
>
> I have the extension that finds dupes installed and used it to strip
> most of them out, then cherry picked the other items.
>
> Then for the heck of it after sync was idle, I exited and started a new
> profile (firefox -p).    Started sync and now I had some 2000.  I
> brought back folders I had deleted and still had these http and https's.
> Links I moved from folder A to B were now in both etc.
>
> No matter what I do, I can't get firefox to give me a clean new profile
> with the same # of bookmarks, I always seem to get some trash history,
> or all trash history.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?   I could start a new sync login but I only
> have so many email addresses, and that's not an answer in reality.
>
> Please bear with me on this rant, the numbers are very approximate, not
> real numbers.   Maybe 1250 bookmarks.

Supposedly Mozilla says if you change your password this forces Sync to
re-encrypt the cloud data and only current data is maintained and you
lose history.    Well it helped a little, I still got 129 superfluous
links so that's oh so much better.

0
Big
3/30/2018 12:13:01 PM
Big Al wrote:
> I use it.� Love it.�� Basically.�� But I'm finding issues.
> I just went through my 1400 bookmarks and checked things like http
> instead of https and fixed them.�� No issues.
>
> FF 59.0.2 just loaded yesterday in Linux, and I started FF and when I
> hit the settings hamburger menu button that sync now said last update
> dec 31.�� So I started it.�� S**T.�� I now have some 1800 bookmarks.
> Seems Firefox keeps history and all those http bookmarks came down.� SO
> now I have 2 of about 400 links.
>
> I have the extension that finds dupes installed and used it to strip
> most of them out, then cherry picked the other items.
>
> Then for the heck of it after sync was idle, I exited and started a new
> profile (firefox -p).��� Started sync and now I had some 2000.� I
> brought back folders I had deleted and still had these http and https's.
> Links I moved from folder A to B were now in both etc.
>
> No matter what I do, I can't get firefox to give me a clean new profile
> with the same # of bookmarks, I always seem to get some trash history,
> or all trash history.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?�� I could start a new sync login but I only
> have so many email addresses, and that's not an answer in reality.
>
> Please bear with me on this rant, the numbers are very approximate, not
> real numbers.�� Maybe 1250 bookmarks.

How do you check your bookmarks these days?  A working bookmark checker
is practically impossible to find.

Sync is in both directions.  If you have different bookmarks on another
computer that you are trying to update with bookmarks they will be
copied onto the computer where you initiated the sync.
Why did these people have to make sync all-or-nothing anyway?

0
EE
3/30/2018 4:53:24 PM
On 03/30/2018 12:53 PM, EE wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> I use it.  Love it.   Basically.   But I'm finding issues.
>> I just went through my 1400 bookmarks and checked things like http
>> instead of https and fixed them.   No issues.
>>
>> FF 59.0.2 just loaded yesterday in Linux, and I started FF and when I
>> hit the settings hamburger menu button that sync now said last update
>> dec 31.   So I started it.   S**T.   I now have some 1800 bookmarks.
>> Seems Firefox keeps history and all those http bookmarks came down.
>> SO now I have 2 of about 400 links.
>>
>> I have the extension that finds dupes installed and used it to strip
>> most of them out, then cherry picked the other items.
>>
>> Then for the heck of it after sync was idle, I exited and started a
>> new profile (firefox -p).    Started sync and now I had some 2000.  I
>> brought back folders I had deleted and still had these http and https's.
>> Links I moved from folder A to B were now in both etc.
>>
>> No matter what I do, I can't get firefox to give me a clean new
>> profile with the same # of bookmarks, I always seem to get some trash
>> history, or all trash history.
>>
>> Any ideas how to solve this?   I could start a new sync login but I
>> only have so many email addresses, and that's not an answer in reality.
>>
>> Please bear with me on this rant, the numbers are very approximate,
>> not real numbers.   Maybe 1250 bookmarks.
>>

> How do you check your bookmarks these days?  A working bookmark checker
> is practically impossible to find.
>
> Sync is in both directions.  If you have different bookmarks on another
> computer that you are trying to update with bookmarks they will be
> copied onto the computer where you initiated the sync.
> Why did these people have to make sync all-or-nothing anyway?

You may be onto something.   Before turning on another FF, I should
probably toss the places.sqlite file so no local bookmarks get pushed
and added to my current clean setup now.

I use an extension called Bookmark Dupes:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bookmark-dupes/
It only counts and looks for dupes.  For bad pages I simply take a
folder now and then and "open all in tabs" and then glance down them.
I just deleted about 20 of them that were so aged and useless, mostly on
XP and now that I'm fully on windows 10 and with no friends to support
on XP, it's kinda useless.

There used to be a good program for checking but the format of bookmarks
in FF made it obsolete.

0
Big
3/30/2018 5:23:44 PM
On 3/30/2018 02:13 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 03/29/2018 02:27 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> I use it.=C2=A0 Love it.=C2=A0=C2=A0 Basically.=C2=A0=C2=A0 But I'm fi=
nding issues.
>> I just went through my 1400 bookmarks and checked things like http=20
>> instead of https and fixed them.=C2=A0=C2=A0 No issues.
>>
>> FF 59.0.2 just loaded yesterday in Linux, and I started FF and when I =

>> hit the settings hamburger menu button that sync now said last update =

>> dec 31.=C2=A0=C2=A0 So I started it.=C2=A0=C2=A0 S**T.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I n=
ow have some 1800 bookmarks.=20
>> Seems Firefox keeps history and all those http bookmarks came down. =20
>> SO now I have 2 of about 400 links.
>>
>> I have the extension that finds dupes installed and used it to strip=20
>> most of them out, then cherry picked the other items.
>>
>> Then for the heck of it after sync was idle, I exited and started a=20
>> new profile (firefox -p).=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Started sync and now I had=
 some 2000.=C2=A0 I=20
>> brought back folders I had deleted and still had these http and https'=
s.
>> Links I moved from folder A to B were now in both etc.
>>
>> No matter what I do, I can't get firefox to give me a clean new=20
>> profile with the same # of bookmarks, I always seem to get some trash =

>> history, or all trash history.
>>
>> Any ideas how to solve this?=C2=A0=C2=A0 I could start a new sync logi=
n but I=20
>> only have so many email addresses, and that's not an answer in reality=
=2E

>> Please bear with me on this rant, the numbers are very approximate,=20
>> not real numbers.=C2=A0=C2=A0 Maybe 1250 bookmarks.
>>

> Supposedly Mozilla says if you change your password this forces Sync to=
=20
> re-encrypt the cloud data and only current data is maintained and you=20
> lose history.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Well it helped a little, I still got 12=
9 superfluous=20
> links so that's oh so much better.
>=20
>=20

Firefox has a backup an restore function for bookmarks:
Bookmarks > Show all bookmarks > Import and Backup
It automatically makes backups every now and then but you can also save=20
a good set yourself. If you restore a backup these bookmarks are also=20
propagated to your other profiles.

0
dillinger