How to install 32-Bit Firefox Windiows 7?

I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
version from:

https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US

(As opposed to:
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)

But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
intervention.

Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
computer for the last 10 years.

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/8/2017 6:34:29 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24037 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 10/8/2017 2:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
> version from:
>
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>
> (As opposed to:
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>
> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
> intervention.
>
> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
> computer for the last 10 years.
>
> -sw

Have you tried /pub/firefox/releases/56.0.1/win32-EME-free/en-US/ ?
0
John
10/8/2017 7:03:08 PM
On 10/8/17 8:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
> version from:
>
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>
> (As opposed to:
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>
> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
> intervention.
>
> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
> computer for the last 10 years.
>
> -sw

Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?

0
Christian
10/8/2017 7:50:51 PM
On 10/8/2017 3:50 PM, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 10/8/17 8:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
>> version from:
>>
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>>
>> (As opposed to:
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>>
>> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
>> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
>> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
>> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
>> intervention.
>>
>> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
>> computer for the last 10 years.
>>
>> -sw
>
> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?

 From my own experience it doesn't really matter in any serious way. Until
a couple of weeks ago I ran _every_ version of 32-bit beta FF on my
very-definitely 64-bit computer and 64-bit operating system. Perhaps there
would be some real benefit if the program was using so much memory that 32
bits just wouldn't do the job but that seems pretty unlikely -- I routinely
opened ~35 tabs and kept them open with no ill effects.

That said, there probably isn't an reason _not_ to run the 64-bit version
although I can see where having the installer decide for me with no option
to dissent could be irritating.
0
John
10/8/2017 9:55:28 PM
On 08-Oct-2017 14:34, Sqwertz wrote:
> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
> version from:
>
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>
> (As opposed to:
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>
> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
> intervention.
>
> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
> computer for the last 10 years.
>
> -sw

Get the offline installer from here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
0
Endegee
10/8/2017 10:11:16 PM
On 10/8/2017 5:55 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> On 10/8/2017 3:50 PM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>> On 10/8/17 8:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
>>> version from:
>>>
>>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>>>
>>> (As opposed to:
>>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>>>
>>> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
>>> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
>>> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
>>> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
>>> intervention.
>>>
>>> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
>>> computer for the last 10 years.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>
>> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?
>>

>  From my own experience it doesn't really matter in any serious way.
> Until a couple of weeks ago I ran _every_ version of 32-bit beta FF on
> my very-definitely 64-bit computer and 64-bit operating system. Perhaps
> there would be some real benefit if the program was using so much memory
> that 32 bits just wouldn't do the job but that seems pretty unlikely --
> I routinely opened ~35 tabs and kept them open with no ill effects.
>
> That said, there probably isn't an reason _not_ to run the 64-bit
> version although I can see where having the installer decide for me with
> no option to dissent could be irritating.
When I installed the 64-bit Firefox, I already had the 32-bit version
installed.  The 64-bit version did not remove the 32 bit version, but
installed itself in addition to it.  I would expect that the same thing
would happen installing them in reverse order.

The two programs don't conflict with one another because they are
installed in different folders on the C: drive, the 64-bit version is in
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox while the 32-bit version is in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox.  What you are probably seeing
shortcuts that still point to the original version.  You can change the
directory that your shortcuts point to, or make additional shortcuts for
the new version.

The installer doesn't make any decisions for you, it just writes the
version you are installing to it's proper place on the computer. The two
programs are blind to one another.
Dave Pyles
0
Dave
10/8/2017 10:26:37 PM
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:50:51 +0200, Christian Riechers wrote:

> On 10/8/17 8:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
>> version from:
>>
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>>
>> (As opposed to:
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>>
>> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
>> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
>> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
>> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
>> intervention.
>>
>> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
>> computer for the last 10 years.
>
> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?

Because I need to run Java.  Which is another Firefox irritation
<grrr>

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/9/2017 2:48:41 AM
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 18:26:37 -0400, Dave Pyles wrote:

> On 10/8/2017 5:55 PM, John McGaw wrote:

>>> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?
>>>

>>  From my own experience it doesn't really matter in any serious way.
>> Until a couple of weeks ago I ran _every_ version of 32-bit beta FF on
>> my very-definitely 64-bit computer and 64-bit operating system. Perhaps
>> there would be some real benefit if the program was using so much memory
>> that 32 bits just wouldn't do the job but that seems pretty unlikely --
>> I routinely opened ~35 tabs and kept them open with no ill effects.
>>
>> That said, there probably isn't an reason _not_ to run the 64-bit
>> version although I can see where having the installer decide for me with
>> no option to dissent could be irritating.
> When I installed the 64-bit Firefox, I already had the 32-bit version
> installed.  The 64-bit version did not remove the 32 bit version, but
> installed itself in addition to it.  I would expect that the same thing
> would happen installing them in reverse order.
>
> The two programs don't conflict with one another because they are
> installed in different folders on the C: drive, the 64-bit version is in
> C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox while the 32-bit version is in
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox.  What you are probably seeing
> shortcuts that still point to the original version.  You can change the
> directory that your shortcuts point to, or make additional shortcuts for
> the new version.
>
> The installer doesn't make any decisions for you, it just writes the
> version you are installing to it's proper place on the computer. The two
> programs are blind to one another.
> Dave Pyles

I have physically verified that only the 64-bit version is installed.
The uninstaller removes the desktop link, and the reinstall creates a
new desktop shortcut - to the 64 bit version.

C:\Program Files(x86)\Mozilla Firefox\ only has a .\plugins folder.

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/9/2017 2:52:12 AM
On 2017-10-08 10:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:50:51 +0200, Christian Riechers wrote:
>
>> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?
>
> Because I need to run Java.  Which is another Firefox irritation
> <grrr>

Plugin support (except Flash) was removed, so it shouldn't matter if
you're using 32-bit or 64-bit.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 18:11:16 -0400, Endegee wrote:

> On 08-Oct-2017 14:34, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
>> version from:
>>
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>>
>> (As opposed to:
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>>
>> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
>> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
>> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
>> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
>> intervention.
>>
>> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
>> computer for the last 10 years.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Get the offline installer from here:
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

That works.  But somebody really needs to fix that other problem on
the main download page.  I'm betting that will still be borken 6
months from now.

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/9/2017 3:11:26 AM
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 15:03:08 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

> On 10/8/2017 2:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
>> version from:
>>
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>>
>> (As opposed to:
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>>
>> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
>> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
>> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
>> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
>> intervention.
>>
>> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
>> computer for the last 10 years.
>>
> Have you tried /pub/firefox/releases/56.0.1/win32-EME-free/en-US/ ?

Thank you.  I don't know what "EME free" is so I chose the other link
somebody suggested.

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/9/2017 3:12:46 AM
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 23:10:17 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 2017-10-08 10:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:50:51 +0200, Christian Riechers wrote:
>>
>>> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?
>>
>> Because I need to run Java.  Which is another Firefox irritation
>> <grrr>
>
> Plugin support (except Flash) was removed, so it shouldn't matter if
> you're using 32-bit or 64-bit.

<SIGH>.  The Java installer said, and many Mozilla knowledgebase
articles confirmed, that I needed to run 32-bit Firefox if I wanted to
run Java.  Now that I HAVE 32-bit Firefox installed, it says it
doesn't work with the 32-bit version either.

Brilliant!

THIS is why Firefox has lost nearly all the browser market share and
will forever be a niche product from now on.  I think it's time to
dump Firefox and bow down to Chrome, even though I don't trust it or
Google worth a shit.

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/9/2017 3:23:42 AM
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 22:23:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 23:10:17 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:

>>> Because I need to run Java.  Which is another Firefox irritation
>>> <grrr>
>>
>> Plugin support (except Flash) was removed, so it shouldn't matter if
>> you're using 32-bit or 64-bit.
>
> <SIGH>.  The Java installer said, and many Mozilla knowledgebase
> articles confirmed, that I needed to run 32-bit Firefox if I wanted to
> run Java.  Now that I HAVE 32-bit Firefox installed, it says it
> doesn't work with the 32-bit version either.
>
> Brilliant!
>
> THIS is why Firefox has lost nearly all the browser market share and
> will forever be a niche product from now on.  I think it's time to
> dump Firefox and bow down to Chrome, even though I don't trust it or
> Google worth a shit.

Oh, this just keeps getting better.  Chrome doesn't support Java
plug-in either.

I give up.  Just out of spite, I'll never use another browser again!
<hrmpf>

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/9/2017 3:30:04 AM
On 2017-10-08 11:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 22:23:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Plugin support (except Flash) was removed, so it shouldn't matter if
>>> you're using 32-bit or 64-bit.
>>
>> <SIGH>.  The Java installer said, and many Mozilla knowledgebase
>> articles confirmed, that I needed to run 32-bit Firefox if I wanted to
>> run Java.  Now that I HAVE 32-bit Firefox installed, it says it
>> doesn't work with the 32-bit version either.

Which Mozilla articles?
Basically, 32-bit plugins would require a 32-bit browser, and and 64-bit
plugins require a 64-bit browser.

>> Brilliant!
>>
>> THIS is why Firefox has lost nearly all the browser market share and
>> will forever be a niche product from now on.  I think it's time to
>> dump Firefox and bow down to Chrome, even though I don't trust it or
>> Google worth a shit.
>
> Oh, this just keeps getting better.  Chrome doesn't support Java
> plug-in either.

LOL Chrome dropped support over a year before Firefox.

If there's specific website that requires Java, my advice is that you
re-evaluate your need for that site, and look for an alternative site
for the same task. If a website wants to use technology that nobody uses
anymore, it says a lot about how well that site is maintained, and how
secure it is.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
Am 08.10.2017 um 20:34 schrieb Sqwertz:
> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
> version from:
>
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>
> (As opposed to:
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>
> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
> intervention.

Firefox 64-bit has been declared as the new default on 64-bit Windows
back in August.

https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/firefox-64-default-64-bit-windows/

So the installer under the first link obviously checks your system
environment and consequently installs the 64-bit version of Firefox on
your 64-bit system.

This default installation scheme I know from many other software, where
the install stub also does not ask whether to install the 32-bit or
64-bit version.

--
Torsten Villnow
0

What about grabbing the 32bit installer from
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/ rather than using the
firefox installer.exe stub from download.mozilla.org?

On 09/10/2017 14:01, Torsten Villnow wrote:
> So the installer under the first link obviously checks your system
> environment and consequently installs the 64-bit version of Firefox on
> your 64-bit system.

--------------0142692BA46DE5158DAA2862

  <head>
  </head>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/">https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/</a> rather than using
      the firefox installer.exe stub from download.mozilla.org?<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:VLCdnY6waJ69-EbEnZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@mozilla.org">So the
      installer under the first link obviously checks your system
      environment and consequently installs the 64-bit version of
      Firefox on your 64-bit system.</blockquote>

--------------0142692BA46DE5158DAA2862--
0
Gary
10/9/2017 12:33:20 PM
In article
<mailman.1120.1507550528.16833.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Torsten Villnow <t.villnow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Firefox 64-bit has been declared as the new default on 64-bit Windows
> back in August.

> https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/firefox-64-default-64-bit-windows/

> So the installer under the first link obviously checks your system
> environment and consequently installs the 64-bit version of Firefox on
> your 64-bit system.

> This default installation scheme I know from many other software, where
> the install stub also does not ask whether to install the 32-bit or
> 64-bit version.

So... I have 64 bit Windows, how do I aquire a 32bit Firefox installer,
because I don't want a 64bit Firefox?

Thanks
Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
On 10/8/17 10:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:50:51 +0200, Christian Riechers wrote:
>
>> On 10/8/17 8:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
>>> version from:
>>>
>>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>>>
>>> (As opposed to:
>>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>>>
>>> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
>>> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
>>> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
>>> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
>>> intervention.
>>>
>>> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
>>> computer for the last 10 years.
>>
>> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?
>
> Because I need to run Java.  Which is another Firefox irritation
> <grrr>
>
> -sw

Install the 32-bit ESR version 52.4.0.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins>

<https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.4.1esr/win32/>

The Java plugin should work until June 2018 when the ESR updates to
version 59.2.0.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
10/9/2017 3:29:50 PM
On 10/9/17 5:29 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 10/8/17 10:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?
>>
>> Because I need to run Java.  Which is another Firefox irritation
>> <grrr>
>
> Install the 32-bit ESR version 52.4.0.

And why the 32-bit version for a 64-bit OS?
The JRE is also available as 64-bit version.

0
Christian
10/9/2017 5:29:24 PM
On 10/9/17 1:29 PM, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 10/9/17 5:29 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Because I need to run Java.  Which is another Firefox irritation
>>> <grrr>
>>
>> Install the 32-bit ESR version 52.4.0.
>
> And why the 32-bit version for a 64-bit OS?
> The JRE is also available as 64-bit version.

The Java plugin doesn't work in any 64-bit version.

Posted over 2 years ago.

<https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/>

and the part you snipped from the post you are responding to.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins>

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
10/9/2017 6:04:23 PM
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 00:10:26 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 2017-10-08 11:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 22:23:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

>> Oh, this just keeps getting better.  Chrome doesn't support Java
>> plug-in either.
>
> LOL Chrome dropped support over a year before Firefox.
>
> If there's specific website that requires Java, my advice is that you
> re-evaluate your need for that site, and look for an alternative site
> for the same task. If a website wants to use technology that nobody uses
> anymore, it says a lot about how well that site is maintained, and how
> secure it is.

It's a configuration tool for an older piece of software that I'd like
to try and use again.  I've now given up on that project.

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/9/2017 6:24:58 PM
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 14:01:32 +0200, Torsten Villnow wrote:

> Am 08.10.2017 um 20:34 schrieb Sqwertz:
>> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
>> version from:
>>
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>>
>> (As opposed to:
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>>
>> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
>> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
>> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
>> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
>> intervention.
>
> Firefox 64-bit has been declared as the new default on 64-bit Windows
> back in August.
>
> https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/firefox-64-default-64-bit-windows/
>
> So the installer under the first link obviously checks your system
> environment and consequently installs the 64-bit version of Firefox on
> your 64-bit system.
>
> This default installation scheme I know from many other software, where
> the install stub also does not ask whether to install the 32-bit or
> 64-bit version.

But when it offers you the choice between versions and has links for
both right next to each other, it should install the version you
selected.

-sw
0
Sqwertz
10/9/2017 6:27:11 PM
On 09-Oct-2017 11:10, Dave Symes wrote:
> In article
> <mailman.1120.1507550528.16833.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>     Torsten Villnow <t.villnow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Firefox 64-bit has been declared as the new default on 64-bit Windows
>> back in August.
>
>> https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/firefox-64-default-64-bit-windows/
>
>> So the installer under the first link obviously checks your system
>> environment and consequently installs the 64-bit version of Firefox on
>> your 64-bit system.
>
>> This default installation scheme I know from many other software, where
>> the install stub also does not ask whether to install the 32-bit or
>> 64-bit version.
>
> So... I have 64 bit Windows, how do I aquire a 32bit Firefox installer,
> because I don't want a 64bit Firefox?
>
> Thanks
> Dave

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
0
Endegee
10/9/2017 10:00:17 PM
In article <mailman.1108.1507517305.16833.support-
firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, swertz@cluemail.compost says...
> Because I need to run Java.

In that case, you would need to run a 32-bit Windows build of Firefox
ESR 52. (ESR 52, if I recall correctly, still supports Java, but on the
Windows platform ONLY in the 32-bit memory model.)

The ESR (Extended Support Release) is actually intended for
organizations that need stability over new features.

See

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

The full installers of the actual ESR builds can be downloaded from
here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

You might also want to take a look at this regarding using Flash:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/force-enable-firefox-52-npapi-support

By the way, the reason why you are getting 64-bit builds from the stub
installers is because for a few months now the stub installers on
Windows have been defaulting to installing 64-bit builds of Firefox on
64-bit Windows; to install a 32-bit build on a Windows 64-bit system you
need a full installer, and you can usually tell it is a full installer
because you specifically pick the language, platform, and (depending on
the platform) the memory model for the installer you download.
0
Mark12547
10/9/2017 10:33:13 PM
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:50:51 +0200, Christian Riechers wrote:
>
>> On 10/8/17 8:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I uninstall Firefox v56.x 64-bit and try and install 32-Bit Windows
>>> version from:
>>>
>>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win&lang=en-US
>>>
>>> (As opposed to:
>>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-stub&os=win64&lang=en-US)
>>>
>>> But after install it still says I have the 64-bit version.  There are
>>> also no options to control any aspect of the install.  The install
>>> stub just downloads and installs some mystery version and
>>> automatically installs it with no user-configurable options or
>>> intervention.
>>>
>>> Firefox is the most consistently problematic piece of software on my
>>> computer for the last 10 years.
>>
>> Why would you want to install a 32-bit FF on a 64-bit Windows version?
>
> Because I need to run Java.  Which is another Firefox irritation
> <grrr>
>
> -sw

I use IE9/32 for Java.
I've never been able to use Java with any version of FF for the company's VPN.

0
Paul
10/10/2017 9:08:13 PM
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 15:33:13 -0700, Mark12547 wrote:

> By the way, the reason why you are getting 64-bit builds from the stub
> installers is because for a few months now the stub installers on
> Windows have been defaulting to installing 64-bit builds of Firefox on
> 64-bit Windows; to install a 32-bit build on a Windows 64-bit system you
> need a full installer, and you can usually tell it is a full installer
> because you specifically pick the language, platform, and (depending on
> the platform) the memory model for the installer you download.

Then they shouldn't have options for downloading separate platforms +
memory models for 32 and 64-bit builds on the main download page if
you're just going to get 64-bit version even if you pick the 32 bit
version.

https://s1.postimg.org/4p3zmauqdr/Firefox_Install.jpg

Click on "Windows 32-Bit" and you get the 64-bit installed instead.

-sw
0
Sqwertz