How to edit/ delete file-application association in Tools-Options-Applications

How do I delete some file-application association in
Tools-Options-Applications list?

How do I edit them? Somehow GIF is showing Save File, and jpeg/pjpeg is
showing User Irfanview(default). Now these two can be rendered by ff
itself so I want ff to open them directly instead of saving or running
irfanview. When I try to change it and select UseOther... - Firefox,
that setting doesn't stick.

Also, I have selected winzip to be Saved. but it is going ahead and
saving with the default name without giving me the option to change the
name or add some prefix to identify the source.

Also, why does it make SaveFile and Use-XXX-Application mutually
exclusive. It can as well as save the file to disk and then run the
application to show/ render that. Or is it that it would do?

mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

V S Rawat wrote:
> How do I delete some file-application association in
> Tools-Options-Applications list?
>
> How do I edit them? Somehow GIF is showing Save File, and jpeg/pjpeg is
> showing User Irfanview(default). Now these two can be rendered by ff
> itself so I want ff to open them directly instead of saving or running
> irfanview. When I try to change it and select UseOther... - Firefox,
> that setting doesn't stick.
>
> Also, I have selected winzip to be Saved. but it is going ahead and
> saving with the default name without giving me the option to change the
> name or add some prefix to identify the source.
>
> Also, why does it make SaveFile and Use-XXX-Application mutually
> exclusive. It can as well as save the file to disk and then run the
> application to show/ render that. Or is it that it would do?

You could set the zip files and anything else where you want to have a
choice to "Always ask".  How did you manage to get image files that
Firefox handles into the Applications list in the first place?  They are
not in mine.  The only thing in my list that Firefox normally handles
are plain text files, and that is because of the way I set up
Proxomitron to change the file types for those.
I do not understand why the settings you used for the images would not
stick, however.  The only settings that I found were not sticking were
those for file types where there was a plugin available.  I had to
disable plugins (in 2 different places) for those if I wanted to change
to using a helper application.
0
EE
8/29/2008 9:03:13 PM
On 8/30/2008 2:33 AM India Time, _EE_ wrote:

> V S Rawat wrote:
>> How do I delete some file-application association in
>> Tools-Options-Applications list?
>>
>> How do I edit them? Somehow GIF is showing Save File, and jpeg/pjpeg is
>> showing User Irfanview(default). Now these two can be rendered by ff
>> itself so I want ff to open them directly instead of saving or running
>> irfanview. When I try to change it and select UseOther... - Firefox,
>> that setting doesn't stick.
>>
>> Also, I have selected winzip to be Saved. but it is going ahead and
>> saving with the default name without giving me the option to change the
>> name or add some prefix to identify the source.
>>
>> Also, why does it make SaveFile and Use-XXX-Application mutually
>> exclusive. It can as well as save the file to disk and then run the
>> application to show/ render that. Or is it that it would do?
>>
> You could set the zip files and anything else where you want to have a
> choice to "Always ask".  How did you manage to get image files that
> Firefox handles into the Applications list in the first place?  They are
> not in mine.

I guess that sometime when ff asked me what to do with an image file, I
must have selected "with irfanview" and that setting got saved
permanently even though, I am sure that I wanted that for that
particular time.

>  The only thing in my list that Firefox normally handles
> are plain text files, and that is because of the way I set up
> Proxomitron to change the file types for those.
> I do not understand why the settings you used for the images would not
> stick, however.  The only settings that I found were not sticking were
> those for file types where there was a plugin available.  I had to
> disable plugins (in 2 different places) for those if I wanted to change
> to using a helper application.

So, download settings is a one way process. We can set a setting but we
can't change/ remove that.

V S Rawat wrote:
> On 8/30/2008 2:33 AM India Time, _EE_ wrote:
>
>> V S Rawat wrote:
>>> How do I delete some file-application association in
>>> Tools-Options-Applications list?
>>>
>>> How do I edit them? Somehow GIF is showing Save File, and jpeg/pjpeg
>>> is showing User Irfanview(default). Now these two can be rendered by
>>> ff itself so I want ff to open them directly instead of saving or
>>> running irfanview. When I try to change it and select UseOther... -
>>> Firefox, that setting doesn't stick.
>>>
>>> Also, I have selected winzip to be Saved. but it is going ahead and
>>> saving with the default name without giving me the option to change
>>> the name or add some prefix to identify the source.
>>>
>>> Also, why does it make SaveFile and Use-XXX-Application mutually
>>> exclusive. It can as well as save the file to disk and then run the
>>> application to show/ render that. Or is it that it would do?
>>>
>> You could set the zip files and anything else where you want to have a
>> choice to "Always ask".  How did you manage to get image files that
>> Firefox handles into the Applications list in the first place?  They
>> are not in mine.
>
> I guess that sometime when ff asked me what to do with an image file, I
> must have selected "with irfanview" and that setting got saved
> permanently even though, I am sure that I wanted that for that
> particular time.
>
>>  The only thing in my list that Firefox normally handles are plain
>> text files, and that is because of the way I set up Proxomitron to
>> change the file types for those.
>> I do not understand why the settings you used for the images would not
>> stick, however.  The only settings that I found were not sticking were
>> those for file types where there was a plugin available.  I had to
>> disable plugins (in 2 different places) for those if I wanted to
>> change to using a helper application.
>
> So, download settings is a one way process. We can set a setting but we
> can't change/ remove that.

You can change the setting, but I do not see any way of removing it.  It
is a pity that the developers did not provide any way of changing the
plugin that gets used.  For the images, you would probably have to
change Irfanview to Firefox in the setting.
0
EE

Application to Application
Hi,  Curious on what different solutions there are for one application that is closing down to contact another application. I have the closing down applicaton sending something to the database and for the other application to monitor the database records, but I think that is a horrible solution. Another idea would be when the closing down application sends a message to the database for the database to then respond by sending a message to the other application, but that means the database would have to know where the other application is.  If possible, the security issue mak...

Firefox: associating file extensions to applications
Here's another issue I'm having with Firefox 1.0.6 that I didn't have with Mozilla: When I create *.nzb files in Mozilla, I'm given the option to either have the file opened using the default application (newsbin pro), choose another application, or to save it to disc. I always chose to open the file in Newsbin Pro. In Firefox 1.0.6, I am only offered two choices: 'What should Firefox do with this file? O Open with (Browse) O Save to Disk 'Do this automatically for files like this from now on.' is greyed out, so I can't check the box. ...

add a file type to Tools Options Applications
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: add a file type to Tools Options Applications Comments: in the Tools Options Applications list what if I want to ADD MY OWN FILE TYPE? I have a file type called *.tex (yes, I use LaTeX since I am a Donald Knuth fan). I also have a program called the TeXnic Center which I want to be used to open all *.tex files. SO I go to Tools Options Applications and if there were simply an ADD button i could just add my own file type and browse to my own applicaiton in this case TeXnic Center and LO I would be done. But I do not see the ADD button on ...

How to deploy .Net Windows/Web applications
Hello can anyone please advise me guide me how to deploy .Net Windows/Web applications. I know how to do basic deployment but i want to know more about database connection string, Support files specific to application.   Please help--------ThanksSK Hi there,Database connections will not change too much, you will only need to change the Uid,password, server and sometimes database name.you can also create a setup file which will setup all the things. check out these:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818016 http://15seconds.com/issue/041229.htm http://www.microsoft.com/tec...

Tools Options Applications
Name: William Yowell Email: william_yowellatcomcastdotnet Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Tools Options Applications - I cannot use Quicktime with w2k to play an embedded wav file Comments: Windows 2000 advanced server is not an option on the Quicktime download site. When I click on a web page with an embedded .wav, Mozilla attempts to download Quicktime. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090616 Firefox/3.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this...

This application is currently offline. To enable the application, remove the app_offline.htm file from the application root directory.
help, i get this after doing this <asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" Runat="Server"> <asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server"> </asp:DropDownList>   using sql code SELECT DISTINCT Origin FROM Receipes   help me! chu the noobChu = Noob, please help Maybe a dumb question, but did you follow the instructions in the error message? JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know whi...

application associations deleted
One of our zenworks applications had all of its associations (users) deleted by another IT staff member. Is there anyway we could restore them, as we don't know exactly who was associated with it. It was done about 7 days ago On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:03:55 GMT, Rick wrote: > Is there anyway we could restore them, as we > don't know exactly who was associated with it. It was done about 7 days ago bringing in an nds backup... or the docs of course... sorry to bring no better news... -- Marcus Breiden Please change -- to - to mail me. The content of this ma...

application associations deleted
One of our zenworks applications had all of its associations (users) deleted by another IT staff member. Is there anyway we could restore them, as we don't know exactly who was associated with it. It was done about 7 days ago On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:25:40 GMT, Rick wrote: > One of our zenworks applications had all of its associations (users) deleted > by another IT staff member. Is there anyway we could restore them, as we > don't know exactly who was associated with it. It was done about 7 days ago duplicate question - can I gently mention a point? Whilst ...

Embedding an external application into the Delphi application [Edit]
Hi guys, I am trying to embed Mozilla Firefox into my Delphi application with the following code, The code works with "Notepad" but it doesn't work with the Mozilla Firefox. Any help will be extremely appreciated. {code} unit unitMain; interface uses Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Variants, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms, Dialogs, StdCtrls, ExtCtrls, ShellApi; type TfrmMain = class(TForm) pnlTop: TPanel; panBottom: TPanel; btnLoadApp: TButton; btnKill: TButton; procedure btnLoadAppClick(Sender: TObject); procedure btnKill...

How do you edit applications in the "Application Browser"
I am running SUSE 11.0 (Gnome session). When you click on "Computer", then "More Applications" you open the "Application Browser". I want to edit this menu as I have installed an application from a tar.gz file and I don't have a "application icon" in the "Application Browser" I also have some applications that are in the wrong group. (for example move an application from "Office" to "System") . -- explorer716 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hi, Yo...

How do you edit applications in the "Application Browser"?
When you click on "Computer", then "More Applications" you open the "Application Browser". I want to edit this menu as I have installed an application from a tar.gz file and I don't have a "application icon" in the "Application Browser" I also have some applications that are in the wrong group. (for example move an application from "Office" to "System") I am running SUSE 11.0 (Gnome session). . -- explorer716 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Have a look...

problem with file associations and applications
Name: Robert Stanton Product: Firefox Summary: problem with file associations and applications Comments: Greetings, I encountered a problem in which I had to do a work around in order to correct the behavior and interaction of the Firefox browser with other programs. I did a bunch of updates and everything was fine except every time I went to my homepage (Coast to Coast radio) iTunes would come on automatically because a podcast option was present. I am not interested in podcasts and use their streaming audio instead. I disabled podcasts in iTunes but it still came on autom...

application to edit flash files
Hey all, Would like to know what app I can use to edit my swf web files. Thanks Heeter -- 'HCCTECH.CA' (http://hcctech.ca) Linux Counter 475994 O-SUSE 11.0(64Bit), KDE3.5, Intel"D"64Bit 2600, 2 x 1GIG DDR2(800), 80GIG HD ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SWF files are generally compiled from ActionScript program files using Adobe tools. -- ken_yap ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221 View ...

Firefox crashes when your using an application and that application needs to be updated.
Name: Hrach Email: stele86athotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox crashes when your using an application and that application needs to be updated. Comments: I was using http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gullible to check a word and it required Quicktime, so when it opened the sound clip played and finished, once the sound clip fnished & i got a massage saying " your quicktime needs to be updated " when that massage came firefox crashed. and when i check the reason behind it, the microsoft error reporter showed something to do with quicktime. &...

Web resources about - How to edit/ delete file-application association in Tools-Options-Applications - mozilla.support.firefox