How to create keyboard shortcuts that bind to links?

I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow
certain links on webpages.

The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page
has a link called "next". These are often in different positions on
each page. It would be very handy to have a single key-press act the
same as clicking the link, rather than using the mouse.

Ideally, the web link text that is bound to a key would be
configurable on a per-website basis.

Has anybody seen an extension that would allow this capability with
Firefox or Mozilla? If nothing exists, what would be the easiest
approach to implementing it?

thanks, t

mozilla.support.firefox 24202 articles. 7 followers. Post Follow

t wrote:

> I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow
> certain links on webpages.
>
> The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page
> has a link called "next". These are often in different positions on
> each page. It would be very handy to have a single key-press act the
> same as clicking the link, rather than using the mouse.
>
> Ideally, the web link text that is bound to a key would be
> configurable on a per-website basis.
>
> Has anybody seen an extension that would allow this capability with
> Firefox or Mozilla? If nothing exists, what would be the easiest
> approach to implementing it?
>
> thanks, t

There are keyboard shortcuts:
For Moz: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/moz_shortcuts.html
For FF: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard

Or, there is the Keyboard Shortcut changer -- keyconfig:
gwtc
1/11/2006 9:15:36 PM
On 01/11/06 16:15, gwtc wrote:
> t wrote:
>
>> I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow
>> certain links on webpages.
>> The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page
>> has a link called "next". These are often in different positions on
>> each page. It would be very handy to have a single key-press act the
>> same as clicking the link, rather than using the mouse.
>> Ideally, the web link text that is bound to a key would be
>> configurable on a per-website basis.
>>
>> Has anybody seen an extension that would allow this capability with
>> Firefox or Mozilla? If nothing exists, what would be the easiest
>> approach to implementing it?
>>
>> thanks, t
>>

> There are keyboard shortcuts:
> For Moz: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/moz_shortcuts.html
> For FF: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard
>
> Or, there is the Keyboard Shortcut changer -- keyconfig:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=72994

Personally, I use the version of keyconfig from
<URL:http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=4203&view=findpost&p=18897>.
Seems to have some improvements over the version you linked.
--
Yay!
0
t <h7qvnk7q001@sneakemail.com> writes:

> I would like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to follow
> certain links on webpages.
>
> The most common case is for a multi-page web article, where each page
> has a link called "next". These are often in different positions on
> each page. It would be very handy to have a single key-press act the
> same as clicking the link, rather than using the mouse.
>
> Ideally, the web link text that is bound to a key would be
> configurable on a per-website basis.
>
> Has anybody seen an extension that would allow this capability with
> Firefox or Mozilla? If nothing exists, what would be the easiest
> approach to implementing it?

I haven't seen a general solution to your problem. But the specific
case of navigational links are handled by the Link Toolbar extension.

http://cdn.mozdev.org/linkToolbar/

It's primary purpose is adding a toolbar in the statusbar of Firefox
with buttons corresponding to link-tags in web pages. But since not
that many pages use these tags it can also scan pages for probable
navigational links. (This was formerly a separate extension: Linkit.)
On top of this it adds keyboard bindings to some of these links,
namely:

alt+pgup/pgdown        for previous/next
alt+shift+pgup/pgdown  for first/last
alt+up                 for up
alt+shift+up           for top (typically main page of site)

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a version for Firefox 1.5 ready
yet :(

Another option is to get used to using "Find As You Type" and maybe
tweak some of it's options. In case you don't know pressing ' (yes,
that is an apostrophe) puts you in a "link find mode", meaning that
writing "next" will choose the link "next" and then you can press
enter to follow the link.
An overview:
http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/2004/07/07/find-toolbar

A rather technical description including preferences can be found
here: http://www.mozilla.org/access/type-ahead/
Note though that it describes the functionality in Mozilla Suite, in
Firefox the defaults are sligtly different.

--
                - M�rten

mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385
0
iso
1/30/2006 4:09:30 PM
> Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a version for Firefox 1.5 ready
> yet  :(

It's there now.

http://cdn.mozdev.org/linkToolbar/

Exactly what was asked for.