How can I get firefox to not pop up with a window about new versions of firefox.

Bloody firefox idiots are creating popups when I am in the middle of
doing something.  Is there anything I can do to stop this?  Or do I
have to quit using firefox.  Don't those people understand leaving
people alone!

                                                        Dan

0
dcaster

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:05:54 -0700, in message <1183525554.628959.186720@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
dcaster@krl.org wrote:

> Bloody firefox idiots are creating popups when I am in the middle of
> doing something.  Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Of course there is.  Go look under  Tools -> Options.

On version 2.0 you would go to "Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Update"
and turn off checking for updates.  You appear to be running 1.5,
(and I don't have 1.5 installed any more) but I'm sure that if you
go look for yourself then you will find the setting in 1.5.

> Don't those people understand leaving
> people alone!

Many people do want notification of updates; some don't.
That is why there are option settings so you can configure
it for your personal preference.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
0
Ralph
7/4/2007 7:37:44 AM
On Jul 4, 8:37 am, Ralph Fox <-...@-.invalid> wrote:

> Of course there is.  Go look under  Tools -> Options.
>
> On version 2.0 you would go to "Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Update"
> and turn off checking for updates.  You appear to be running 1.5,
> (and I don't have 1.5 installed any more) but I'm sure that if you
> go look for yourself then you will find the setting in 1.5.
>
> Many people do want notification of updates; some don't.
> That is why there are option settings so you can configure
> it for your personal preference.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Ralph
>
> "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

Found it.  Thanks

I don't mind getting notice of updates if they occur at the start or
finish.  But it is really annoying to be looking at something and
suddenly have it obscured.
I like firefox, but don't feel the need to keep learning new options
when the version I have works well.

                                             Dan

0
dcaster

Firefox or not Firefox

New Firefox versions should result in larger file versions that previous firefox versions
Name: Jeff Email: jturner_at_citadel.com Product: Firefox Summary: New Firefox versions should result in larger file versions that previous firefox versions Comments: I work for a company whose software does enterprise vulnerability management. I work with Windows and Windows applications. One of the things we do is install patches to products where needed. We rely on file versions because they are the best bet to know which version of an application is on the system (files are generally where the vulnerabilities reside). If a system�s registry gets �restored� or rolled ...

Cannot get to firefox from thunderbird-cannot get to firefox at all.
Name: Sharon O'Hara Email: familien1_at_wavecable.com Product: Firefox Summary: Cannot get to firefox from thunderbird-cannot get to firefox at all. Comments: Thunderbird freezes up, Windows offers a file an error report and I'm shut down. I got here -now- through IE - why will IE work when Firefox won't? Sharon O'Hara Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) ...

All version of Firefox (including Firefox 3.6.6) can not support some function (such as 巴士小巴 button) of the following website
Name: All version of Firefox (including Firefox 3.6.6) can not support some function (such as 巴士小巴 button) of the following website Email: All version of Firefox (including Firefox 3dot6dot6) can not support some function (such as 巴士小巴 button) of the following website Product: Firefox Summary: All version of Firefox (including Firefox 3.6.6) can not support some function (such as 巴士小巴 button) of the following website Comments: All version of Firefox (including Firefox 3.6.6) can not support some function (such as 巴士小巴 button) of the following website http://www.centamap.com/gc...

New Firefox Theme for Windows
Name: D Product: Firefox Summary: New Firefox Theme for Windows - Firefox Button Comments: The orange in the Firefox Button is nice, but the whole browser feels kinda souless/artificial without the Firefox Icon. I think it should be shown (even if not fully) in the background of the button. (Major - Epic Suggestion) Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must...

I have been happily using firefox, now, suddenly, cannot get in, browse or use my email or anything to do with firefox. I have downloaded new version and still no result. Is there a "worm" against fir
Name: judith nelson Email: jitkaauatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I have been happily using firefox, now, suddenly, cannot get in, browse or use my email or anything to do with firefox. I have downloaded new version and still no result. Is there a "worm" against firefox? Comments: There is no response to any firefox tabs when i click on them, however, the apple safari tabs work fine and so do internet explorer tabs, which keep asking me to select them as the default - I have reset everything to do with making firefox my default browser and have installed an...

Is firefox multi-threaded? (1 Firefox Window using all of 1 cpu can hang other FF windows)
I'm using FF1.5.x on WinXP2. Am on a 2-processor x dual-core machine that shows a total of 4 cpu's. Something I've noticed recently that wasn't noticeable on my old mono-processor machine is that frequently, Firefox will get slow when drawing multiple windows or when multiple windows are open -- but I'll see it being CPU bound (not, apparently, network bound). On my old computer, I saw 100% cpu usage and thought, ah well, I'm just topping out the machine. But now, with 4 cpu's, I notice FF pegging out at 25% of the used CPU with 75% (or 3 cpu's)...

Can I still get an earlier version of Firefox... for Windows 98SE?
Name: NJ Email: nancy_janeatcoxdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Can I still get an earlier version of Firefox... for Windows 98SE? Comments: I re-setup my old computer that has Windows 98SE.... I tried to download Firefox... which worked, but it would not install due to compatability isues... SO, is there an earlier version that I can download??? Where do I find it??? Thanks for any help I can get! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

I upgraded to firefox 3 - But hate it
Name: Brian Email: brianhatsamedayspokanedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I upgraded to firefox 3 - But hate it - can I still get Firefox 2 Comments: I upgraded to firefox 3 - But hate it - can I still get Firefox 2 I did not see a link on your web page I hope you will add one because now I have gone back to IE and am sad :( Thanks Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Cannot get WMP plugin for firefox to work on firefox 3 in Windows xp
Name: jason Email: abolafataoldotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Cannot get WMP plugin for firefox to work on firefox 3 in Windows xp Comments: Will not open in browser but have to open in Windows media Player 11 application. Plugin shows up in firefox plugins but won't work. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.15) Gecko/20080623 Firefox/2.0.0.15 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

new version of firefox won't pull bookmarks from old firefox
Name: rob martz Email: nolesurferataoldotcom Product: Firefox Summary: new version of firefox won't pull bookmarks from old firefox Comments: I have successfully loaded firefox 3.5. but favorites, (bookmarks) don't transfer well..wan to import them from firefox to firefox bookmarks. If I load an old version (3.1) first, then open 3.5, the bookmarks appear...If I turn on 3.5 first, bookmarks are missing or hidden. Still happening after several days of use and restart of computer multiple times. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:...

Can I run Firefox and IE7 to get use to using Firefox before switching over completely.
Can I run Firefox and IE7 to get use to using Firefox before switching over completely. -- Thanks, Paul. Paul Bray wrote: > Can I run Firefox and IE7 to get use to using Firefox before switching over > completely. > > Yes. When you first run FF, it will ask you if you want it to be the default browser: just say no. Paul Bray wrote: > Can I run Firefox and IE7 to get use to using Firefox before switching over > completely. > > Sure, you can even run both at the same time. -- Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net ...

When I close a Firefox window, other Firefox windows sometimes close as well.
Name: Jean-Victor Côté Email: jean-vdotcoteatsympatico.ca Product: Firefox Summary: When I close a Firefox window, other Firefox windows sometimes close as well. Comments: It does not always happen, but it is as if all windows were tabs of the same window that closes without warning when a particular tab is closed. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

What Firefox Version will run on Windows 98SE? Heard Firefox is wonderful but I have an old machine..
Name: Thomas Engel Email: Thosengelatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: What Firefox Version will run on Windows 98SE? Heard Firefox is wonderful but I have an old machine.. Comments: OK. I have heard that Firefox will block the uploading of FlashPlayer9, which is extremely slow on my obsolete machine; I also doubt Verizon (my DSL internet provider) is blocking viruses, etc. Other graphic display complications and non-blocked pop-ups (or delays from constantly being reminded to upload FlashPlayer9) may be solvable using Firefox. I inherited some sort of IBM...