How can I configure Firefox to always deny sites asking to use notifications?

I run Firefox in a permanent "private window" mode, so Firefox does not
save my per-site preferences. It is safe to say I never, ever, want to
be notified by a site. How can I configure Firefox to stop asking me
every time a site wants to notify me?

Elijah
------
Discourse forum software is the worst offender encountered
0
Eli
4/20/2017 11:25:42 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23650 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

On 4/20/17 7:25 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> I run Firefox in a permanent "private window" mode, so Firefox does not
> save my per-site preferences. It is safe to say I never, ever, want to
> be notified by a site. How can I configure Firefox to stop asking me
> every time a site wants to notify me?
>
> Elijah

Since you did not indicate what operating system and Firefox version, try

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox?as=u&utm_source=inproduct#firefox:win10:fx52>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

0
WaltS48
4/20/2017 11:41:07 PM
In mozilla.support.firefox, WaltS48  <thalionusa@REMOVEaol.com> wrote:
> Since you did not indicate what operating system and Firefox version, try

Linux, 52, soon to update to 53. I do not believe OS is relevant here.
Version possibly.

> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox?as=u&utm_source=inproduct#firefox:win10:fx52>

The about:preferences#content->Notifications preference does not allow
me to say "Never, stop asking me". It only allows me to specify which
sites *are allowed*. So I am asked the question over and over and over
and over and you get the idea.

The "control center" thing (in your link) is for saving perferences *per
site* which is a feature that is disabled when Firefox is running in
always private browsing mode. The only answers I can give are "for this
session" and "not now".

Elijah
------
history is a thing of the past
0
Eli
4/21/2017 12:08:51 AM
"Eli the Bearded" <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote

|I run Firefox in a permanent "private window" mode, so Firefox does not
| save my per-site preferences. It is safe to say I never, ever, want to
| be notified by a site. How can I configure Firefox to stop asking me
| every time a site wants to notify me?

  I don't generally enable script, so I've never seen
any of this and I'm not sure of all the details, but
I'd guess you can't go wrong setting all of the
following to False:

Browser.offline-apps.notify
dom.webnotifications.enabled
notification.feature.enabled
services.push.enabled

  The "push" notifications are not actually push.
FF needs to call home to a special URL periodically,
with an ID, to ask for new messages. You might
also check for that URL in about:config and clear
the string. But I don't know the pref name offhand.

0
Mayayana
4/21/2017 2:09:04 AM
In mozilla.support.firefox, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Eli the Bearded" <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote
>
> |I run Firefox in a permanent "private window" mode, so Firefox does not
> | save my per-site preferences. It is safe to say I never, ever, want to
> | be notified by a site. How can I configure Firefox to stop asking me
> | every time a site wants to notify me?
> |
>   I don't generally enable script, so I've never seen
> any of this and I'm not sure of all the details, but
> I'd guess you can't go wrong setting all of the
> following to False:
>
> Browser.offline-apps.notify

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.offline-apps.notify

Different sort of thing.

> dom.webnotifications.enabled

Aha, this seems to be it:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/notification

After changing the setting, the example version, run from codepen, can't
notify me. (That example pops up an alert() about no notifications, but
likely -- hopefully -- most sites will not do that.)

> notification.feature.enabled

Alread set to false.

> services.push.enabled

Does not exist for me.