Homepage versus Startpage

[This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
Firefox tip.]

You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
|browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
Modify), and set the value.

The values:
0 = blank page
1 = home page
2 = last page visited

Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
0
Chris
1/9/2006 10:23:08 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24066 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

Chris Ilias wrote:
> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
> Firefox tip.]
>
> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
> Modify), and set the value.
>
> The values:
> 0 = blank page
> 1 = home page
> 2 = last page visited
>
> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

Good work, Chris....

Thanks for all the dedication and support....

burris
0
burris
1/10/2006 10:42:56 AM
On 1/9/2006 2:23 PM On a whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard

> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
> Firefox tip.]
>
> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
> Modify), and set the value.
>
> The values:
> 0 = blank page
> 1 = home page
> 2 = last page visited
>
> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

I used to open with a blank page, but the FF Start Page isn't too busy
like Yahoo or many others so I let it stay.

--
Terry Rather

*F1 Computer Services*
     E-mail: f1com@pobox.com <mailto:f1com@pobox.com>
     Tel:   949.645.6305 x2
     Fax:  949.645.1508
     Pcs:  714.612.0104
0
Terry
1/10/2006 3:03:19 PM
On 1/9/2006 2:23 PM On a whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard

> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
> Firefox tip.]
>
> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
> Modify), and set the value.
>
> The values:
> 0 = blank page
> 1 = home page
> 2 = last page visited
>
> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

I used to open with a blank page, but the FF Start Page isn't too busy
like Yahoo or many others so I let it stay.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***
Terry
1/10/2006 3:05:28 PM
Chris Ilias wrote:
> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
> Firefox tip.]
>
> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
> Modify), and set the value.
>
> The values:
> 0 = blank page
> 1 = home page
> 2 = last page visited
>
> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

(Second reply attempt.  First attempt 2 hours ago has not shown
up yet.)

Another alternative is the "SessionSaver" extension.  If you shut
down FF (or if FF crashes or the OS crashes), then next time you
start FF all of the same FF windows reopen in the same positions
with all of the same tabs.

It also comes in handy if you install a new extension and you
want to restart FF immediately to take advantage of the new
extension - without having to worry about losing track of what
windows and tabs you had open.
0
Alphabet
1/10/2006 7:52:14 PM
Chris Ilias wrote:

> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
> Firefox tip.]
>
> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
> Modify), and set the value.
>
> The values:
> 0 = blank page
> 1 = home page
> 2 = last page visited
>
> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is where I
open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything else.  My
bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do some weeding :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
>> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
>> Firefox tip.]
>>
>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
>> Modify), and set the value.
>>
>> The values:
>> 0 = blank page
>> 1 = home page
>> 2 = last page visited
>>
>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
>> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>
> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is where I
> open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything else.  My
> bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do some weeding :-(

It's easier for me to have my bookmarks on the left (Ctrl-B) and have
the FF Start Page with Google there. I can scroll the BM's quickly that
way and still have access to the page. And at higher resolutions it
doesn't take away much screen real estate.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***
Terry
1/10/2006 8:14:05 PM
Terry wrote:
> On 1/10/2006 12:10 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
>>> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
>>> Firefox tip.]
>>>
>>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>>> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>>> Modify), and set the value.
>>>
>>> The values:
>>> 0 = blank page
>>> 1 = home page
>>> 2 = last page visited
>>>
>>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
>>> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is where I
>> open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything else.  My
>> bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do some weeding :-(
>>

> It's easier for me to have my bookmarks on the left (Ctrl-B) and have
> the FF Start Page with Google there. I can scroll the BM's quickly that
> way and still have access to the page. And at higher resolutions it
> doesn't take away much screen real estate.

For a while I had my bookmarks.html as my home page.  I still
have a bookmark in that file pointing to itself - makes it easy
to load the bookmark into a new tab and then either browse it
their or use "find in this page" to look for things.
0
Alphabet
1/10/2006 11:46:02 PM
On 1/10/2006 2:10 PM The Real Bev loudly proclaimed:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
>> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
>> posting a Firefox tip.]
>>
>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
>> Modify), and set the value.
>>
>> The values:
>> 0 = blank page
>> 1 = home page
>> 2 = last page visited
>>
>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>
> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
> where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
> else.  My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
> some weeding :-(

I actually use My Way for my start/home page.  I do have my bookmarks
loaded on that page.  The reason I do is simple.  For example, a couple
of years ago, we went on vacation to Colorado, to visit my wife's sister
and her family.  I found it very handy to have my bookmarks loaded on a
page that I could access by simply logging in.  That way, I can find my
bank site or other important sites with no problem at all, no matter
where I am.

--
LJ
My Best Friend Is My Wife!!

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but
>> since it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on
>> topic by posting a Firefox tip.]
>>
>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to
>> open with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you
>> visited'? Well, this is one of those features that is still in
>> Mozilla Firefox, but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set
>> it: Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
>> location  bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>> | browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and
>> | select
>> Modify), and set the value.
>>
>> The values:
>> 0 = blank page
>> 1 = home page
>> 2 = last page visited
>>
>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>
> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page,
> which is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would
> do anything else.

There are even a couple of  extensions that will let you style the
bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page.  I don't use 'em, but
here they are:

<https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1217>

<http://bookmarkshome.mozdev.org/>

> My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
> some weeding :-(

Icons can make for large bookmarks files.  I finally got around to
writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.  In case anyone's interested,
the line that does all the clearing is

$ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html

--
�Q�
0
�Q� wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote in
>

>>Chris Ilias wrote:
>>

>>>[This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but
>>>since it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on
>>>topic by posting a Firefox tip.]
>>>
>>>You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>>>Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to
>>>open with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you
>>>visited'? Well, this is one of those features that is still in
>>>Mozilla Firefox, but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set
>>>it: Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
>>>location  bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>>>Modify), and set the value.
>>>
>>>The values:
>>>0 = blank page
>>>1 = home page
>>>2 = last page visited
>>>
>>>Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>>>doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>>
>>For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page,
>>which is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would
>>do anything else.
>

> There are even a couple of  extensions that will let you style the
> bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page.  I don't use 'em, but
> here they are:
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1217>
>
> <http://bookmarkshome.mozdev.org/>
>
>>My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
>>some weeding :-(
>

> Icons can make for large bookmarks files.  I finally got around to
> writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
> ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.  In case anyone's interested,
> the line that does all the clearing is
>
> $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html

and what does one do with that script?  Or rather, how does one create
it and use it?
0
gwtc
1/11/2006 1:33:00 AM
On 1/10/2006 12:10 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's
>> a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
>> Firefox tip.]
>>
>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
>> Modify), and set the value.
>>
>> The values:
>> 0 = blank page
>> 1 = home page
>> 2 = last page visited
>>
>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
>> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>
> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is where I
> open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything else.  My
> bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do some weeding :-(

You can use the Delete Icons extension to remove icons and reduce the
file size considerably.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/lofiversion/index.php/t2596.html

--
Terry

***Reply Note***
Terry
1/11/2006 1:50:12 AM
gwtc <TheNewGWTC@pppmppfmpfmmmmfmmmpfmmpp.pppmppfmp> wrote:
> ?Q? wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev <bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote in

>>>For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page,
>>>which is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would
>>>do anything else.
>>

>> There are even a couple of  extensions that will let you style the
>> bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page.  I don't use 'em, but
>> here they are:
>>
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1217>
>>
>> <http://bookmarkshome.mozdev.org/>
>>
>>>My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
>>>some weeding :-(
>>

>> Icons can make for large bookmarks files.  I finally got around to
>> writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
>> ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.  In case anyone's interested,
>> the line that does all the clearing is
>>
>> $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html
>>
> and what does one do with that script?  Or rather, how does one create
> it and use it?

If you are on a unix base system and have bash as a shell just run it in
the bookmarks.html directory.  Windows system needs Cywin + bash, I
guess.
0
me9
1/11/2006 2:30:05 AM
�Q� wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
>> some weeding :-(
>
> Icons can make for large bookmarks files.  I finally got around to
> writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
> ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.  In case anyone's interested,
> the line that does all the clearing is
>
> $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html

Saved for future usage, but I think the main problem is that I have ~3K
bookmarks :-(  I don't seem to have many icons at all.

--
Cheers,
Bev

> gwtc <TheNewGWTC@pppmppfmpfmmmmfmmmpfmmpp.pppmppfmp> wrote:
>> ?Q? wrote:
>>
>>> The Real Bev <bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote in

>>> There are even a couple of  extensions that will let you style
>>> the bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page.  I don't use
>>> 'em, but here they are:
>>>
>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1217>
>>>
>>> <http://bookmarkshome.mozdev.org/>

>>> Icons can make for large bookmarks files.  I finally got around
>>> to writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except
>>> for the ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.  In case anyone's
>>> interested, the line that does all the clearing is
>>>
>>> $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html >
>>> bookmarks.cleaned.html
>>>
>> and what does one do with that script?  Or rather, how does one
>> create it and use it?
>
> If you are on a unix base system and have bash as a shell just run
> it in the bookmarks.html directory.  Windows system needs Cywin +
> bash, I guess.

Yeah.  I use cygwin when I run it under Windows.  The script itself is
a little more complicated, because I split off the Bookmarks Toolbar
Folder before doing the cleaning.  It uses csplit to break the file up,
then sed, then cat to put it back together, so it should work with bash
under any UNIX-like system with core utilities.

--
�Q�
0
DynaBMan wrote:
> On 1/10/2006 2:10 PM The Real Bev loudly proclaimed:
>
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
>>> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
>>> posting a Firefox tip.]
>>>
>>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
>>> location bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>>> Modify), and set the value.
>>>
>>> The values:
>>> 0 = blank page
>>> 1 = home page
>>> 2 = last page visited
>>>
>>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>>
>> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
>> where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
>> else.  My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to
>> do some weeding :-(
>>

> I actually use My Way for my start/home page.  I do have my bookmarks
> loaded on that page.  The reason I do is simple.  For example, a couple
> of years ago, we went on vacation to Colorado, to visit my wife's sister
> and her family.  I found it very handy to have my bookmarks loaded on a
> page that I could access by simply logging in.  That way, I can find my
> bank site or other important sites with no problem at all, no matter
> where I am.

Agreed.  I do the very same thing.  My host used bookmarks are stored on
the my.myway customized page. All I need to do to access them is
navigate to the page.

If it matters to anyone, it has great TV listings, and movies.

And, its ad free.  Really!

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> DynaBMan wrote:

>>>For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
>>>where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
>>>else.  My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to
>>>do some weeding :-(
>>>

>>I actually use My Way for my start/home page.  I do have my bookmarks
>>loaded on that page.  The reason I do is simple.  For example, a couple
>>of years ago, we went on vacation to Colorado, to visit my wife's sister
>>and her family.  I found it very handy to have my bookmarks loaded on a
>>page that I could access by simply logging in.  That way, I can find my
>>bank site or other important sites with no problem at all, no matter
>>where I am.
>>

> Agreed.  I do the very same thing.  My host used bookmarks are stored on
> the my.myway customized page. All I need to do to access them is
> navigate to the page.
>
> If it matters to anyone, it has great TV listings, and movies.
>
> And, its ad free.  Really!
>
> Lee

Nope, I can't get MyWay.  My Hosts file is blocking it.  I guess it
can't be all that important of a place then.
0
gwtc
1/11/2006 7:19:08 AM
On 01/10/06 14:52, Alphabet wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
>> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
>> posting a Firefox tip.]
>>
>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
>> Modify), and set the value.
>>
>> The values:
>> 0 = blank page
>> 1 = home page
>> 2 = last page visited
>>
>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>
> (Second reply attempt.  First attempt 2 hours ago has not shown up yet.)
>
> Another alternative is the "SessionSaver" extension.  If you shut down
> FF (or if FF crashes or the OS crashes), then next time you start FF all
> of the same FF windows reopen in the same positions with all of the same
> tabs.
>
> It also comes in handy if you install a new extension and you want to
> restart FF immediately to take advantage of the new extension - without
> having to worry about losing track of what windows and tabs you had open.

You might also want to try Tab Mix Plus 0.3 beta [1] [2].  It provides
session saving and crash recovery with nice pretty toolbar buttons and
menus, and it also has a ton of other tab-related things.  I switched to
it because SessionSaver was suddenly causing Firefox to start extremely
slowly, and for a couple of the tab things.

However, TMP does not save session cookies or form data like
SessionSaver does, so if that's very important to you, you should
continue to use SessionSaver.  You could install TMP and turn off its
Session Manager feature, though, and still take advantage of its other
features.

[1] <URL:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=327222>
[2] <URL:http://tmp.garyr.net/beta%200.3/>
--
Yay!
0
On 01/10/06 15:10, The Real Bev wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
>> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
>> posting a Firefox tip.]
>>
>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
>> Modify), and set the value.
>>
>> The values:
>> 0 = blank page
>> 1 = home page
>> 2 = last page visited
>>
>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>
> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
> where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
> else.  My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
> some weeding :-(

My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)

I just use about: or about:blank as my homepage, because it loads
instantly. However, I'm considering switching to
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random> or
<URL:http://news.google.com/> or maybe
<URL:http://finance.yahoo.com/p?v&k=pf_1>, but I haven't done it yet.

I always have Tab Mix Plus loading my last session anyway, so my
homepage only gets visited when I click it because I want to go back to
a page because it stopped loading or something, in which case I want it
to load instantly.
--
Yay!
0
On 01/11/06 04:54, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> On 01/10/06 15:10, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
>>> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
>>> posting a Firefox tip.]
>>>
>>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>>> with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>>> Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>>> but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
>>> location bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>>> Modify), and set the value.
>>>
>>> The values:
>>> 0 = blank page
>>> 1 = home page
>>> 2 = last page visited
>>>
>>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>>
>> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
>> where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
>> else.  My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to
>> do some weeding :-(
>
> My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
> load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)

And, I forgot to add, many folders are hard to browse (they're just huge
piles of junk that could be deleted without me missing it, but I'm a
pack rat...), so I couldn't browse my bookmarks with all the folders
expanded.

I just use many folders as a more permanent history, so they get filled
up with a lot of stuff that isn't very important.

--
Yay!
0
On 01/10/06 18:46, Alphabet wrote:
> Terry wrote:

>>> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which
>>> is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do
>>> anything else.  My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I
>>> desperately need to do some weeding :-(
>>>

>> It's easier for me to have my bookmarks on the left (Ctrl-B) and have
>> the FF Start Page with Google there. I can scroll the BM's quickly
>> that way and still have access to the page. And at higher resolutions
>> it doesn't take away much screen real estate.
>>

> For a while I had my bookmarks.html as my home page.  I still have a
> bookmark in that file pointing to itself - makes it easy to load the
> bookmark into a new tab and then either browse it their or use "find in
> this page" to look for things.

Yep. I have a keyboard bookmark for accessing my bookmarks (and it's in
a folder on my Bookmarks Toolbar). I use it when I have no idea what
folder some bookmark is in, because I don't have that extension that
adds a Locate button or whatever.
--
Yay!
0
On 01/11/06 02:19, gwtc wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> DynaBMan wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/10/2006 2:10 PM The Real Bev loudly proclaimed:

>>> I actually use My Way for my start/home page.  I do have my bookmarks
>>> loaded on that page.  The reason I do is simple.  For example, a
>>> couple of years ago, we went on vacation to Colorado, to visit my
>>> wife's sister and her family.  I found it very handy to have my
>>> bookmarks loaded on a page that I could access by simply logging in.
>>> That way, I can find my bank site or other important sites with no
>>> problem at all, no matter where I am.
>>>

>> Agreed.  I do the very same thing.  My host used bookmarks are stored
>> on the my.myway customized page. All I need to do to access them is
>> navigate to the page.
>>
>> If it matters to anyone, it has great TV listings, and movies.
>>
>> And, its ad free.  Really!
>>
>> Lee
>>
> Nope, I can't get MyWay.  My Hosts file is blocking it.  I guess it
> can't be all that important of a place then.

I wouldn't use a HOSTS file that blocks perfectly good websites. :-\

My Way is just a sort of one of those portal websites, where you can
have your homepage with news and weather and your horoscope and fortune
and stocks and sports scores and whatnot. I prefer
<URL:http://www.google.com/ig> or <URL:http://news.google.com/> or
<URL:http://finance.yahoo.com/p?v&k=pf_1>, though. Too much stuff to fit
on one small page. ;-) (Actually, I don't use
<URL:http://www.google.com/ig> that much for that reason.)
--
Yay!
0
On 01/10/06 20:10, »Q« wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote in
>
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but
>>> since it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on
>>> topic by posting a Firefox tip.]
>>>
>>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to
>>> open with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you
>>> visited'? Well, this is one of those features that is still in
>>> Mozilla Firefox, but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set
>>> it: Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the
>>> location  bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>>> Modify), and set the value.
>>>
>>> The values:
>>> 0 = blank page
>>> 1 = home page
>>> 2 = last page visited
>>>
>>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page,
>> which is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would
>> do anything else.
>
> There are even a couple of  extensions that will let you style the
> bookmarks for use as a home or "portal" page.  I don't use 'em, but
> here they are:
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1217>
>
> <http://bookmarkshome.mozdev.org/>
>
>> My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
>> some weeding :-(
>
> Icons can make for large bookmarks files.  I finally got around to
> writing a bash script that clears out all the icons except for the
> ones in my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.  In case anyone's interested,
> the line that does all the clearing is
>
> $ sed s/[[:space:]]ICON=\"[^\"]*\"//g bookmarks.html > bookmarks.cleaned.html

Mm-hmm. It annoys me immensely that I have, for example, Mozilla's
favicon a few hundred times (probably, I haven't counted). I hope the
bookmarks system of Firefox 2.0 or 3.0 will have a more efficient way of
storing favicons.

Opera just stores one image for each domain name outside of the
bookmarks file, but I don't like that since one domain can have multiple
favicons. Something in-between would be nice, like favicons being stored
elsewhere named after their SHA-1 sum, and the bookmarks.html file
linking to those. So I'd only have the SHA-1 sum a few hundred times
instead of the whole image in bookmarks.html.
--
Yay!
0
Matt Nordhoff wrote:

> On 01/10/06 15:10, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>>Chris Ilias wrote:
>>

>>>[This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
>>>it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by
>>>posting a Firefox tip.]
>>>
>>>You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>>>Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open
>>>with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'?
>>>Well, this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox,
>>>but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>>>Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>>>bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>>>Modify), and set the value.
>>>
>>>The values:
>>>0 = blank page
>>>1 = home page
>>>2 = last page visited
>>>
>>>Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>>>doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>>
>>For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which is
>>where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do anything
>>else.  My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I desperately need to do
>>some weeding :-(
>

> My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
> load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)
>
> I just use about: or about:blank as my homepage, because it loads
> instantly. However, I'm considering switching to
> <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random> or
> <URL:http://news.google.com/> or maybe
> <URL:http://finance.yahoo.com/p?v&k=pf_1>, but I haven't done it yet.
>
> I always have Tab Mix Plus loading my last session anyway, so my
> homepage only gets visited when I click it because I want to go back to
> a page because it stopped loading or something, in which case I want it
> to load instantly.
I would have the same problem with my bookmarks, but since I use
Mozilla the Suite, I have the ability to break up my bookmarks into
smaller ones and each one has its own different name, and Mozilla lets
me switch between them quickly.  Unlike FF which you can only have one.
0
gwtc
1/11/2006 7:09:42 PM
On 01/11/06 14:09, gwtc wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> For many years I've defined my bookmark page as my home page, which
>>> is where I open, and I honestly can't see why people would do
>>> anything else.  My bookmarks.html file is up to 857K and I
>>> desperately need to do some weeding :-(
>>

>> My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
>> load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)
>>
>> I just use about: or about:blank as my homepage, because it loads
>> instantly. However, I'm considering switching to
>> <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random> or
>> <URL:http://news.google.com/> or maybe
>> <URL:http://finance.yahoo.com/p?v&k=pf_1>, but I haven't done it yet.
>>
>> I always have Tab Mix Plus loading my last session anyway, so my
>> homepage only gets visited when I click it because I want to go back
>> to a page because it stopped loading or something, in which case I
>> want it to load instantly.
> I would have the same problem with my bookmarks, but since I use Mozilla
> the Suite, I have the ability to break up my bookmarks into smaller ones
> and each one has its own different name, and Mozilla lets me switch
> between them quickly.  Unlike FF which you can only have one.

Switching between bookmarks files would be more of an inconvenience,
IMO. I'm okay with it the way it is, except that it takes a noticeable
amount of time for a bookmark to be added. Hopefully SQLite will be
faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks with SQLite, right?)
--
Yay!
0
Matt Nordhoff wrote:

> On 01/11/06 14:09, gwtc wrote:
>
>>Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>>My bookmarks.html is 14.7 MiB at the moment, and takes a long time to
>>>load and uses a lot of RAM when I open it in Firefox. :-)
>>>
>>>I just use about: or about:blank as my homepage, because it loads
>>>instantly. However, I'm considering switching to
>>><URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random> or
>>><URL:http://news.google.com/> or maybe
>>><URL:http://finance.yahoo.com/p?v&k=pf_1>, but I haven't done it yet.
>>>
>>>I always have Tab Mix Plus loading my last session anyway, so my
>>>homepage only gets visited when I click it because I want to go back
>>>to a page because it stopped loading or something, in which case I
>>>want it to load instantly.
>>
>>I would have the same problem with my bookmarks, but since I use Mozilla
>>the Suite, I have the ability to break up my bookmarks into smaller ones
>>and each one has its own different name, and Mozilla lets me switch
>>between them quickly.  Unlike FF which you can only have one.
>

> Switching between bookmarks files would be more of an inconvenience,
> IMO. I'm okay with it the way it is, except that it takes a noticeable
> amount of time for a bookmark to be added. Hopefully SQLite will be
> faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks with SQLite, right?)
SQLite -- I don't even know what that is
0
gwtc
1/11/2006 7:57:24 PM
On 01/11/06 14:57, gwtc wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> I would have the same problem with my bookmarks, but since I use
>>> Mozilla the Suite, I have the ability to break up my bookmarks into
>>> smaller ones and each one has its own different name, and Mozilla
>>> lets me switch between them quickly.  Unlike FF which you can only
>>> have one.
>>

>> Switching between bookmarks files would be more of an inconvenience,
>> IMO. I'm okay with it the way it is, except that it takes a noticeable
>> amount of time for a bookmark to be added. Hopefully SQLite will be
>> faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks with SQLite, right?)
> SQLite -- I don't even know what that is

It's a very light-weight SQL database...program. It's going to be used
in the future instead of some of the many formats used at the moment for
different files. It's supposed to be very fast. See
<URL:http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla2:Unified_Storage>.
--
Yay!
0

> Hopefully SQLite will be faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks
> with SQLite, right?)

AIUI, they will replace anything currently handled by mork with
something called MozStorage, which is based on SQLite.  They're not
happy with the way bookmarks are stored, but mork's not handling
bookmarks, and I don't know if they'll move to MozStorage for
bookmarks.

--
�Q�
0
On 01/11/06 15:49, »Q« wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff <mnordhoff@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hopefully SQLite will be faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks
>> with SQLite, right?)
>
> AIUI, they will replace anything currently handled by mork with
> something called MozStorage, which is based on SQLite.  They're not
> happy with the way bookmarks are stored, but mork's not handling
> bookmarks, and I don't know if they'll move to MozStorage for
> bookmarks.

<URL:http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla2:Unified_Storage> mentions
bookmarks a number of times, so I think they will be replacing bookmarks.

Well, bookmarks and history are what I care about being replaced.
They're both somewhat slow because of my massive bookmarks.html and
history.dat files. I care about history more, though the slowness and
processor-usage of bookmarking a bunch of things as fast as I can is
annoying.
--
Yay!
0
On 01/11/06 16:18, gwtc wrote:
> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>> SQLite -- I don't even know what that is
>>

>> It's a very light-weight SQL database...program. It's going to be used
>> in the future instead of some of the many formats used at the moment
>> for different files. It's supposed to be very fast. See
>> <URL:http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla2:Unified_Storage>.
> thanks for that info.

You're welcome. :-)

mozStorage will be an interesting change. It'll absolutely wreck
backwards-compatibility of profiles, though. Maybe already-used profiles
might continue to use the old formats? I doubt it... Definitely need
some big warnings about backups if you absolutely can't go back.
--
Yay!
0
Matt Nordhoff wrote:

> On 01/11/06 14:57, gwtc wrote:
>
>>Matt Nordhoff wrote:

>>>Switching between bookmarks files would be more of an inconvenience,
>>>IMO. I'm okay with it the way it is, except that it takes a noticeable
>>>amount of time for a bookmark to be added. Hopefully SQLite will be
>>>faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks with SQLite, right?)
>>
>>SQLite -- I don't even know what that is
>

> It's a very light-weight SQL database...program. It's going to be used
> in the future instead of some of the many formats used at the moment for
> different files. It's supposed to be very fast. See
> <URL:http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla2:Unified_Storage>.
thanks for that info.
0
gwtc
1/11/2006 9:18:47 PM
On 11.01.2006 22:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Matt Nordhoff
to generate the following:? :

> On 01/11/06 15:49, »Q« wrote:
>
>> Matt Nordhoff <mnordhoff@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Hopefully SQLite will be faster. (They are replacing the bookmarks
>>> with SQLite, right?)
>>

>> AIUI, they will replace anything currently handled by mork with
>> something called MozStorage, which is based on SQLite.  They're not
>> happy with the way bookmarks are stored, but mork's not handling
>> bookmarks, and I don't know if they'll move to MozStorage for
>> bookmarks.
>

> <URL:http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla2:Unified_Storage> mentions
> bookmarks a number of times, so I think they will be replacing bookmarks.
>
> Well, bookmarks and history are what I care about being replaced.
> They're both somewhat slow because of my massive bookmarks.html and
> history.dat files. I care about history more, though the slowness and
> processor-usage of bookmarking a bunch of things as fast as I can is
> annoying.

one thing that is certain in life... if you live long enough, you *will*
get older.... then you will be only too pleased to have something that
is "not too fast please"

reg
0
squaredancer
1/11/2006 9:32:21 PM
Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> On 01/11/06 16:18, gwtc wrote:
>> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

/snip/

> mozStorage will be an interesting change. It'll absolutely wreck
> backwards-compatibility of profiles, though. Maybe already-used profiles
> might continue to use the old formats? I doubt it... Definitely need
> some big warnings about backups if you absolutely can't go back.

It happened once before, back in the change to 0.8, I think, maybe 0.9,
all the profiles had to be migrated, which happened when you installed.
The big problem with such a change now would be the far larger user
base, with quite a few more, shall we say, less sophisticated users

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/12/2006 1:02:24 AM
On 01/11/06 20:02, Leonidas Jones wrote:
> It happened once before, back in the change to 0.8, I think, maybe 0.9,
> all the profiles had to be migrated, which happened when you installed.
> The big problem with such a change now would be the far larger user
> base, with quite a few more, shall we say, less sophisticated users

Ah, well, I started using Firefox at one of the 0.9 versions, though I
had 0.8 installed. (I switched from IE to Mozilla at 1.6, then quickly
upgraded to 1.7a, then switched to Firefox 0.9 when further Mozilla
releases were slower and buggier until the point they were unusable.)

With the amount of people that downgraded back to 1.0.7 after 1.5 was
released, it would be very bad for them if they absolutely couldn't if
they cared about most of their profile data. People should make backups
before upgrading, but they don't know that. Perhaps it should leave the
old files around (especially bookmarks), even if it doesn't add anything
to them.
--
Yay!
0

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, burris wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's a
>> support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping it on topic by posting a
>> Firefox tip.]
>>
>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your browser to open with
>> your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'? Well,
>> this is one of those features that is still in Mozilla Firefox, but
>> there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference |browser.startup.page|.
>> Double-click on it (or right-click and select Modify), and set the value.
>>
>> The values:
>> 0 = blank page
>> 1 = home page
>> 2 = last page visited
>>
>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't
>> mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>
> Good work, Chris....
>
> Thanks for all the dedication and support....
>
> burris

0
supat
7/5/2008 11:50:25 PM
Chris Ilias wrote on 1/9/2006 5:23 PM:
> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping
> it on topic by posting a Firefox tip.]
>
> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your
> browser to open with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last page you visited'? Well, this is one of those
> features that is still in Mozilla Firefox, but there's no menu for it. Here's how to set it:
> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select Modify), and set the value.
>
> The values:
> 0 = blank page
> 1 = home page
> 2 = last page visited
>
> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)

It's been in Firefox for a while under options.   At least it's in mine.   I'm on 40.0.2.
Actually the wording on #2 is something like tabs from last session.

0
Big
8/23/2015 8:53:18 PM
On 8/23/2015 10:53 PM, Big Al wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote on 1/9/2006 5:23 PM:
>> [This is partly a test, to see what is working right now; but since
>> it's a support mailing list/newsgroup, I'm keeping
>> it on topic by posting a Firefox tip.]
>>
>> You know that great feature in the Mozilla Application Suite and
>> Netscape7, that lets you choose whether you want your
>> browser to open with your 'homepage', a 'blank page', or the 'last
>> page you visited'? Well, this is one of those
>> features that is still in Mozilla Firefox, but there's no menu for it.
>> Here's how to set it:
>> Open Firefox, type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location
>> bar, and press <Enter>. Search for the preference
>> |browser.startup.page|. Double-click on it (or right-click and select
>> Modify), and set the value.
>>
>> The values:
>> 0 = blank page
>> 1 = home page
>> 2 = last page visited
>>
>> Personally, I like my browser to open in a blank page, but that
>> doesn't mean my homepage has to be blank. ;-)
>
> It's been in Firefox for a while under options.   At least it's in
> mine.   I'm on 40.0.2.
> Actually the wording on #2 is something like tabs from last session.

For a while indeed, probably even most of the nine years since Chris
posted this tip. :)
0
dillinger

Firefox 3 versus Firefox 2
Name: Donald Ganung Email: dganungathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3 versus Firefox 2 Comments: I didn't like Firefox 3 as you guys never seem to consider our bookmarks and regulate them to some other place that then I must in search of. Also you didn't allow Real Player to come in and download videos, that was a real burn and I took it out of my system saying on some other form I NEVER wanted Firefox 3. This is feedback. I'm happy with Firefox 2. I look carefully and will restore it if you screw it up again. At least your latest update left the ...

Firefox versus Yahoo: Firefox is losing
The Yahoo groups section is home to hundreds of thousands of users. http://groups.yahoo.com/groups The group has two methods to participate: as a list serve, or as an on-line discussion group where posts are available for reading and archived. These days you can tell who is using Firefox. Virtually everyone posting from Firefox browsers gets really screwed up page breaks when their post goes up to the 'net. IE users have good page break justification. That's my beef. No one seems to know what to do about it. thanks Greg N nieman wrote, On 9/25/2006 12:33 PM:...

Firefox 2 versus Firefox 3
Name: Nickey Barnard Email: nbarnardatbrookesdotacdotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 2 versus Firefox 3 Comments: I just thought you might like to know that I've just changed back to Firefox 2 for the second time after trying out Firefox 3 - I can't bear it! I can't go back to the page I want because 3 won't tell me what it is - there's a little symbol now, instead of text - and that's useless to me. For example, the Livejournal symbol 15 times in a row, does not help me get back to the page I want! Also, I hated the way that I can zoom in on ...

firefox v3 versus firefox v2
Name: George Stevens Email: georgedotpdotstevensatusdotarmydotmil Product: Firefox Summary: firefox v3 versus firefox v2 Comments: I upgraded to v3 and then found that I could not delete my browser history. So I removed v3 and went back to v2. My impression: V3 has too many bugs. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender fo...

Firefox Not supported
Name: Chris Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Not supported Comments: Firefox not supported on NatWest online banking. Running Firefox version 3.1b3 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

support/what support
Name: William Johnson Email: william0992atsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: support/what support Comments: your support? department for Firefox issues is nothing but a circular maze of unbelievably confusing information that is of no use for the layman and I would dump this piece of trash if I didn't need it for certain websites. I don't know how to reprogram the many bugs or fix the many websites broken by this thing and its "error console" with no directions as to what to do with it. What is it's purpose if there is no help function for it? ...

Firefox-Homepage
Name: Patrick Selig Email: minitabaatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox-Homepage Comments: On the Firefox-Homepage that can be chosen on Firefox-install progress has a google-box and links to all the Google features and extras, but the "google-mail" add is missing. Perhaps its just in german version but perhaps u can fix it, because i wanna keep this site as homepage and wont change again:-) I Like all ur Products, espacially firefox and thunderbird, it makes surfing and mailing much easier. Thanks for ur Softwares Patrick Selig, Swizzerland...

Firefox homepage
Name: Martyn Hickford Email: martyndothickfordatgooglemail.com Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox homepage Comments: why can't I personalize the firefox google homepage. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Firefox startpage
Hi, In an effort to localize Firefox into Estonian - who should I contact to localize Firefox start page? > In an effort to localize Firefox into Estonian - who should I contact to > localize Firefox start page? Look at http://wiki.mozilla.org/wiki/L10n:Firefox_Extras and send the translated central pages and snippets to the given addresses. Robert Kaiser ...

firefox homepage
Name: Stanley Huddleston Email: schino26atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: firefox homepage Comments: I have downloaded firefox 2 but can't get it to run. Each time I attempt to do this I get the download page again. What am I doing wrong? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6 ...

Firefox Startpage
Name: Adrian Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Startpage Comments: Just a small and maybe even irrelevant suggestion-I thought it would be a good idea to include the link "Gmail" at the top of the Firefox Startpage. Sure, one could always just go to google or gmail.com but for convenience sake it could save some hassle. Besides that, firefox is as awesome as ever, keep up the good work, thanks. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix ...

Firefox support
There is a new IPrint client (4.05) on Novell's site. Does this version support Firefox? Thanks. MC No issues for iPrint 4.0.5 under Firefox 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. I also had no issues under earlier iPrint clients either. >>> Mike<curt@fordhamprep.org> 4/14/2005 10:55 AM >>> There is a new IPrint client (4.05) on Novell's site. Does this version support Firefox? Thanks. MC Michael Fraser wrote: > No issues for iPrint 4.0.5 under Firefox 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. > > I also had no issues under earlier iPrint clients either. > >...

FIrefox support
I have had a message posted now for about two weeks in here and no replies - I'm used to the old Netscape support group that seemed to be very involved in anyone's issues - a lot of discussion and support. Does anyone have suggestions for links for technical support for Firefox browser? I like the browser and would like to switch over from Netscape but I need some help. Appreciate any ideas and links. On 23.09.2007 01:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused technical80@yahoo.com to generate the following:? : > I have had a message posted now for about two weeks in here ...

Firefox support
I have been experimenting around with Mozilla's Firefox browser, here are my questions: 1. has anyone else been looking into this, if so what have you found for compatibility 2. I have found that only 1 of the page layouts render correctly in Firefox, does anyone know why, or if this is being worked on? Thanks again for your time and knowledge 1. has anyone else been looking into this, if so what have you found for compatibility Some of the html editors don't work that well or at all in FF. 2. I have found that only 1 of the page layouts render correctly in Firefox, does an...

Web resources about - Homepage versus Startpage - mozilla.support.firefox

Startpage Web Search
Startpage offers you Web search results from Google in complete privacy! When you search with Startpage, we remove all identifying information ...

crshd/startpage.rwrt · GitHub
Contribute to startpage.rwrt development by creating an account on GitHub.

Webwag Searches Within Your Own Startpage
Webwag, one of the newest personalized homepage providers, is announcing a feature that allows you to search within your own page. It's being ...

The Decline of Startpages Like Netvibes & iGoogle (POLL)
2-3 years ago, so-called "startpages" were all the rage - online dashboards where users could store links and quickly scan important news feeds. ...

Search Engines: IxQuick & Startpage - Search Engine Land
A collection of articles, news items, features and columns in theSearch Engines: IxQuick & Startpage - Search Engine Land library at Search Engine ...

Netvibes Launches Universes; Custom/Branded Startpages
The Netvibes Universes launch party took place yesterday, coinciding with the Web 2.0 Expo. Netvibes has been known to be a very open company, ...

British National Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
as well as the repeal of anti-discrimination legislation. The BNP finished fifth in the 2008 London mayoral election with 5.2% of the vote and ...

Werner Scholz Homepage - Main > > ProjectsList
Werner's Wide World Startpage >> Main >> ProjectsList Werner Scholz - Homepage ProjectsList MagparProject PublicationsList FemRefinement IsingModell ...

RTR - Startpage
This report provides data on the following markets: fixed-link telephony, mobile telephony, leased lines and broadband access ...

Warnings in a new age of oversharing
Primary school students and elderly users of social networking sites are most at risk when going online, according to privacy experts and child ...