Fx freezes because of multiple tabs about:blank

I'm using Fx 52.9.0 ESR x64 under W7 HP x64 SP1. I was unable to start
up Fx (not responding), so I used Safe Mode. This showed me that Fx was
trying to restore a *lot* of tabs about:blank.

<https://s22.postimg.cc/lxx5o72f5/Fx.about.blank.png>

This isn't the first time this has happened. What are my options between
restoring a backup of the Profile folder or uncheck every about:blank
one by one (I did this last time and it took me more than a half hour,
so not really an option).

Is there a better solution AND how can I prevent this from happening?

--
s|b
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

On 7/16/2018 12:37 PM, s|b wrote:
> I'm using Fx 52.9.0 ESR x64 under W7 HP x64 SP1. I was unable to start
> up Fx (not responding), so I used Safe Mode. This showed me that Fx was
> trying to restore a *lot* of tabs about:blank.
>
> <https://s22.postimg.cc/lxx5o72f5/Fx.about.blank.png>
>
> This isn't the first time this has happened. What are my options between
> restoring a backup of the Profile folder or uncheck every about:blank
> one by one (I did this last time and it took me more than a half hour,
> so not really an option).
>
> Is there a better solution AND how can I prevent this from happening?

It's likely this, if a bug, was fixed in FF60 or 61.
0
TCW
7/16/2018 6:08:52 PM
On 16-Jul-2018 14:08, TCW wrote:
> On 7/16/2018 12:37 PM, s|b wrote:
>> I'm using Fx 52.9.0 ESR x64 under W7 HP x64 SP1. I was unable to start
>> up Fx (not responding), so I used Safe Mode. This showed me that Fx was
>> trying to restore a *lot* of tabs about:blank.
>>
>> <https://s22.postimg.cc/lxx5o72f5/Fx.about.blank.png>
>>
>> This isn't the first time this has happened. What are my options between
>> restoring a backup of the Profile folder or uncheck every about:blank
>> one by one (I did this last time and it took me more than a half hour,
>> so not really an option).
>>
>> Is there a better solution AND how can I prevent this from happening?
>>

> It's likely this, if a bug, was fixed in FF60 or 61.

It's likely what? I can't find it's likely this. :-)
0
EnDeeGee
7/16/2018 6:17:28 PM
On 7/16/2018 1:17 PM, EnDeeGee wrote:
> On 16-Jul-2018 14:08, TCW wrote:
>> On 7/16/2018 12:37 PM, s|b wrote:
>>> I'm using Fx 52.9.0 ESR x64 under W7 HP x64 SP1. I was unable to start
>>> up Fx (not responding), so I used Safe Mode. This showed me that Fx was
>>> trying to restore a *lot* of tabs about:blank.
>>>
>>> <https://s22.postimg.cc/lxx5o72f5/Fx.about.blank.png>
>>>
>>> This isn't the first time this has happened. What are my options between
>>> restoring a backup of the Profile folder or uncheck every about:blank
>>> one by one (I did this last time and it took me more than a half hour,
>>> so not really an option).
>>>
>>> Is there a better solution AND how can I prevent this from happening?
>>>

>> It's likely this, if a bug, was fixed in FF60 or 61.
>

> It's likely what? I can't find it's likely this. :-)

ESR doesn't usually get bug fixes, only security updates. If this issue
was caused by a bug in 52, it might have got fixed in FF53 or newer (or
an extension which is no longer updated because...do I need to go there?).
0
TCW
7/16/2018 6:36:16 PM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:08:52 -0500, TCW wrote:

> It's likely this, if a bug, was fixed in FF60 or 61.

Well... I did wait long enough for Tab Groups to be replaced with
something similar (Panorama View) and the next ESR will be 60.x, so I
might as well switch to 61.x...

--
s|b
On 7/16/2018 3:57 PM, s|b wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:08:52 -0500, TCW wrote:
>
>> It's likely this, if a bug, was fixed in FF60 or 61.
>
> Well... I did wait long enough for Tab Groups to be replaced with
> something similar (Panorama View) and the next ESR will be 60.x, so I
> might as well switch to 61.x...

I don't think it would hurt at this point to bump up to either 60 ESR or
61. You'll see better performance on 61 though. Report back if it seems
to have helped. =)
0
TCW
7/17/2018 2:24:52 PM
On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 09:24:52 -0500, TCW wrote:

> I don't think it would hurt at this point to bump up to either 60 ESR or
> 61. You'll see better performance on 61 though. Report back if it seems
> to have helped. =)

I'm already using both.

- Fx 52.9.0 is my "main" browser; I kept this for Tab Groups.
- Portable Fx 61.0.1 is a "clean" install. Only a few add-ons and with
most settings on default.
- Another Portable Fx 61.0.1 with the same Profile folder as the first
(= "main" browser). This one has Panorama View instead of Tab Groups.

I made a change in the settings so all three versions can run next to
each other.

--
s|b