Force a new tab when JS openWindow is called?

Hello people

In another browser, I have the option to "always force new tabs instead
of new windows".

But now I only have Firefox available, and there is something that is
really bad in it.

There is a page which has javascript functions where simple links should
exist. Yes, I think the page is very bad, but I really need to use it,
there is no other way.

The links in this page point to things like:

javascript:openDefaultWindow('https://domain.my/word/view.php?id=10784','anything')

I want to open new *tabs* instead of new windows. New windows are to be
opened if, and only if, I do it explicitly. How can I do it?

I can move the new window tab to the previous window, but this is not a
good solution, since I have to do it several times - or I end up with
many more Firefox windows than I want and think it is good to have.
0
Balaco
11/11/2017 12:24:36 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23924 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 11/11/17 7:24 AM, Balaco wrote:
> Hello people
>
> In another browser, I have the option to "always force new tabs instead
> of new windows".
>
> But now I only have Firefox available, and there is something that is
> really bad in it.
>
> There is a page which has javascript functions where simple links should
> exist. Yes, I think the page is very bad, but I really need to use it,
> there is no other way.
>
> The links in this page point to things like:
>
> javascript:openDefaultWindow('https://domain.my/word/view.php?id=10784','anything')
>

> I want to open new *tabs* instead of new windows. New windows are to be
> opened if, and only if, I do it explicitly. How can I do it?
>
> I can move the new window tab to the previous window, but this is not a
> good solution, since I have to do it several times - or I end up with
> many more Firefox windows than I want and think it is good to have.

Use Preferences > General > Tabs and place a check mark in the box for
"Open new windows in a new tab instead".

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
11/11/2017 12:33:41 PM
Em 11-11-2017 10:33, WaltS48 escreveu:
> On 11/11/17 7:24 AM, Balaco wrote:
>> Hello people
>>
>> In another browser, I have the option to "always force new tabs
>> instead of new windows".
>>
>> But now I only have Firefox available, and there is something that is
>> really bad in it.
>>
>> There is a page which has javascript functions where simple links
>> should exist. Yes, I think the page is very bad, but I really need to
>> use it, there is no other way.
>>
>> The links in this page point to things like:
>>
>> javascript:openDefaultWindow('https://domain.my/word/view.php?id=10784','anything')
>>

>> I want to open new *tabs* instead of new windows. New windows are to
>> be opened if, and only if, I do it explicitly. How can I do it?
>>
>> I can move the new window tab to the previous window, but this is not
>> a good solution, since I have to do it several times - or I end up
>> with many more Firefox windows than I want and think it is good to have.
>
> Use Preferences > General > Tabs and place a check mark in the box for
> "Open new windows in a new tab instead".

That is already checked, Walt! I forgot to say that. Look:

http://imgbox.com/kmgLYTFa

One of the first things I do in every new machine I start using Firefox
is to check that open. Even with that option on, those links open a new
window. Is this a bug in Firefox? Or there is another way to do that?
0
Balaco
11/11/2017 12:50:10 PM
On 11/11/17 7:50 AM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 11-11-2017 10:33, WaltS48 escreveu:
>> On 11/11/17 7:24 AM, Balaco wrote:
>>> Hello people
>>>
>>> In another browser, I have the option to "always force new tabs
>>> instead of new windows".
>>>
>>> But now I only have Firefox available, and there is something that is
>>> really bad in it.
>>>
>>> There is a page which has javascript functions where simple links
>>> should exist. Yes, I think the page is very bad, but I really need to
>>> use it, there is no other way.
>>>
>>> The links in this page point to things like:
>>>
>>> javascript:openDefaultWindow('https://domain.my/word/view.php?id=10784','anything')
>>>

>>> I want to open new *tabs* instead of new windows. New windows are to
>>> be opened if, and only if, I do it explicitly. How can I do it?
>>>
>>> I can move the new window tab to the previous window, but this is not
>>> a good solution, since I have to do it several times - or I end up
>>> with many more Firefox windows than I want and think it is good to have.
>>
>> Use Preferences > General > Tabs and place a check mark in the box for
>> "Open new windows in a new tab instead".
>>

> That is already checked, Walt! I forgot to say that. Look:
>
> http://imgbox.com/kmgLYTFa
>
> One of the first things I do in every new machine I start using Firefox
> is to check that open. Even with that option on, those links open a new
> window. Is this a bug in Firefox? Or there is another way to do that?

No idea.

I use one site where despite that pref being checked in my settings,
several windows will open. I just close them and tell Firefox to forget
the sites that open in the windows.

Maybe a script blocking extension like NoScript would help.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
11/11/2017 12:56:29 PM
Em 11-11-2017 10:56, WaltS48 escreveu:
> On 11/11/17 7:50 AM, Balaco wrote:

>>> Use Preferences > General > Tabs and place a check mark in the box for
>>> "Open new windows in a new tab instead".
>>>

>> That is already checked, Walt! I forgot to say that. Look:
>>
>> http://imgbox.com/kmgLYTFa
>>
>> One of the first things I do in every new machine I start using
>> Firefox is to check that open. Even with that option on, those links
>> open a new window. Is this a bug in Firefox? Or there is another way
>> to do that?
>

> No idea.
>
> I use one site where despite that pref being checked in my settings,
> several windows will open. I just close them and tell Firefox to forget
> the sites that open in the windows.
>
> Maybe a script blocking extension like NoScript would help.

Oh. Sad that you do not know. I hope there is a way to do it. Opera 11
and 12 is a much better browser in these details (not close to "small
details", actually).

Now that you said, I remembered. I also visit a site that open popup
windows with its ads, even with that option active.

The problem with disabling Javascript or getting one of the several
extensions for that task, is that I need to use that page with it
enabled. In other words, I need to visit the URL contained in those
links! Cutting them for every click I need is not too good.

Anyway, thank you very much for these quick replies! If you have no more
ideas, I will keep wishing that someone else knows something.
0
Balaco
11/11/2017 1:07:47 PM
Balaco wrote:
> Em 11-11-2017 10:56, WaltS48 escreveu:

>>> That is already checked, Walt! I forgot to say that. Look:
>>>
>>> http://imgbox.com/kmgLYTFa
>>>
>>> One of the first things I do in every new machine I start using
>>> Firefox is to check that open. Even with that option on, those links
>>> open a new window. Is this a bug in Firefox? Or there is another way
>>> to do that?
>>

>> No idea.
>>
>> I use one site where despite that pref being checked in my settings,
>> several windows will open. I just close them and tell Firefox to forget
>> the sites that open in the windows.
>>
>> Maybe a script blocking extension like NoScript would help.
>>

> Oh. Sad that you do not know. I hope there is a way to do it. Opera 11
> and 12 is a much better browser in these details (not close to "small
> details", actually).
>
> Now that you said, I remembered. I also visit a site that open popup
> windows with its ads, even with that option active.
>
> The problem with disabling Javascript or getting one of the several
> extensions for that task, is that I need to use that page with it
> enabled. In other words, I need to visit the URL contained in those
> links! Cutting them for every click I need is not too good.
>
> Anyway, thank you very much for these quick replies! If you have no more
> ideas, I will keep wishing that someone else knows something.

What you are saying is that those things are popups, and they do use a
different window.

0
EE
11/11/2017 5:45:09 PM
Em 11-11-2017 15:45, EE escreveu:
> Balaco wrote:

>>> No idea.
>>>
>>> I use one site where despite that pref being checked in my settings,
>>> several windows will open. I just close them and tell Firefox to forget
>>> the sites that open in the windows.
>>>
>>> Maybe a script blocking extension like NoScript would help.
>>>

>> Oh. Sad that you do not know. I hope there is a way to do it. Opera 11
>> and 12 is a much better browser in these details (not close to "small
>> details", actually).
>>
>> Now that you said, I remembered. I also visit a site that open popup
>> windows with its ads, even with that option active.
>>
>> The problem with disabling Javascript or getting one of the several
>> extensions for that task, is that I need to use that page with it
>> enabled. In other words, I need to visit the URL contained in those
>> links! Cutting them for every click I need is not too good.
>>
>> Anyway, thank you very much for these quick replies! If you have no
>> more ideas, I will keep wishing that someone else knows something.
>
> What you are saying is that those things are popups, and they do use a
> different window.

Yes, they are popups. But Opera 11 and 12 have a configuration that we
can choose that all popups will be opened in new tabs only. There will
never be another browser window, unless we ask it to open one. And we
can even disable certain things in all pages the we usually do not want:
forbid to hide the address bar; forbid it to hide the status bar; forbid
it to hide any buttons or browser things we usually see; forbid it to
open things in the background; and a few more similar things.

I want to do this in Firefox. Do I need an extension for that?
0
Balaco