Font changing help needed

I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both webpage
font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried changing the
font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not working well.
I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme
Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing
buttons for zooming.

Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.

--
Jo-Anne
0

In message
<mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
<Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
>43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
>the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
>crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both
>webpage font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried
>changing the font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not
>working well. I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on
>others, and Theme Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well
>as providing buttons for zooming.
>
>Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.

Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part of
Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
wanted to do?

"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion." - Harlan Ellison
On 4/12/2018 8:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message
> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
> <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3
>> to 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the
>> rest of the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons.
>> The most crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided
>> both webpage font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried
>> changing the font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not
>> working well. I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on
>> others, and Theme Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as
>> well as providing buttons for zooming.
>>
>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>
> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part of
> Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
> wanted to do?

Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention that
it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus buttons that
when used at a specific website remain in place for that website and
don't affect the others.
--
Jo-Anne
0
On 4/12/2018 6:08 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
> 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
> the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
> crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both webpage
> font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried changing the
> font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not working well.
> I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme
> Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing
> buttons for zooming.
>
> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.

Worse and worse. I'm now updated to Firefox 57.0, and I've lost
Status-4-Evar as well as Theme Font and Size Changer--and I can't find
any substitutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thank you,
Jo-Anne
Jo-Anne wrote:
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
>> 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
>> the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
>> crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both webpage
>> font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried changing the
>> font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not working well.
>> I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme
>> Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing
>> buttons for zooming.
>>
>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>
> Worse and worse. I'm now updated to Firefox 57.0, and I've lost
> Status-4-Evar as well as Theme Font and Size Changer--and I can't
> find any substitutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could forget about FF57 and beyond and switch to FF ESR, which
as yet still supports Theme Font & Size Changer. That however may
change soon when ESR switches to a new major release. For me that
may well mean that I can no longer use my bank's smart card reader
plugin, which would be a pita.

PaleMoon still supports Theme Font & Size Changer and other useful
extensions and plugins. PM however doesn't work well with a couple
of sites.

So my strategy is to have *both* browsers installed and use one
(in my case PM) as default and the other one for sites where PM
fails.

-p

0
PietB
4/13/2018 10:38:50 AM
On 4/12/2018 9:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message
> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
> Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from
>> 39.0.3 to 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably
>> do the rest of the updates soon. At the first update, I lost
>> several add-ons. The most crucial for me is Theme Font & Size
>> Changer, which provided both webpage font changes and the ability
>> to zoom easily. I've tried changing the font in Firefox's Tools |
>> Options | Content, but it's not working well. I need a larger font
>> on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme Font & Size
>> Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing buttons for
>> zooming.
>>
>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another
>> add-on I can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font
>> changing in Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>
> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part
> of Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
>  wanted to do?

If you're looking to customize fonts I have no suggestions.  However, if
you're looking to change the display's zoom, with a memory for the
amount of zoom on different web pages, try NoSqint Plus.  You can change
the default magnification for the browser, and also set specific levels
of magnification for specific web sites.  You can also modify the colors
of clicked and not clicked hyperlinks, as well as the font color and
background color for text either globally or on a specific web page.
However, it doesn't offer different font styles.
0
Peter
4/13/2018 10:48:55 AM
On 04/12/2018 11:34 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 4/12/2018 8:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message
>> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
>> <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3
>>> to 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the
>>> rest of the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons.
>>> The most crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided
>>> both webpage font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried
>>> changing the font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not
>>> working well. I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on
>>> others, and Theme Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as
>>> well as providing buttons for zooming.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>>
>> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part of
>> Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
>> wanted to do?
>
> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention that
> it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus buttons that
> when used at a specific website remain in place for that website and
> don't affect the others.
At least on the latest version of FF, you can customize the toolbar
where your buttons are (like home, next, prev) and add the zoom icon,
it's a icon group that has a "+ 100% -" set of icons.   So you can click
the + or - to change and see the percentage.   Or click the percentage
and change to 100% immediately.    Doing it on one domain seems to
maintain throughout that domain.

Right click on toolbar to get customize.

Al.

0
Big
4/13/2018 1:11:49 PM
Big Al wrote:
> At least on the latest version of FF, you can customize the toolbar
> where your buttons are (like home, next, prev) and add the zoom icon,
> it's a icon group that has a "+ 100% -" set of icons.   So you can click
> the + or - to change and see the percentage.   Or click the percentage
> and change to 100% immediately.    Doing it on one domain seems to
> maintain throughout that domain.

I'd expect it to apply the setting to all pages within the domain,
but does it retain the setting when you quit and (re)start FF?

-p

0
PietB
4/13/2018 2:54:04 PM
On 04/12/2018 10:34 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:

[snip]

> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention that
> it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus buttons that
> when used at a specific website remain in place for that website and
> don't affect the others.

Ctrl+ / ctrl- / ctrl0 is specific to the domain, and will apply to all
pages on that domain. I closed FF and re-opened it. The zoom level was
still there.

I have the latest FF (59.0.2).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Cure available for EMS (excess money syndrome). $10,000 per week.
Guaranteed to work or you pay for it again.
0
Mark
4/13/2018 3:53:14 PM
On 04/13/2018 09:54 AM, PietB wrote:

[snip]

> I'd expect it to apply the setting to all pages within the domain,
> but does it retain the setting when you quit and (re)start FF?

There's one page I view every day, and have it zoomed. FF has kept that
setting for several years.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Cure available for EMS (excess money syndrome). $10,000 per week.
Guaranteed to work or you pay for it again.
0
Mark
4/13/2018 3:56:27 PM
On 4/12/18 7:08 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
> 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
> the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
> crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both webpage
> font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried changing the
> font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not working well.
> I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme
> Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing
> buttons for zooming.
>
> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.

Now that you are up to Firefox 57.

Some sites web pages enable Reader View in the browser.

See
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-reader-view-clutter-free-web-pages>

Example
<https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/13/mozilla-starts-to-enable-tls-1-3-on-firefox-stable/>

I have my view set to the dark background.

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
On 04/13/2018 09:11 AM, Big Al wrote:
> On 04/12/2018 11:34 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> On 4/12/2018 8:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne

>>> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part of
>>> Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
>>> wanted to do?
>>
>> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
>> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention
>> that it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus
>> buttons that when used at a specific website remain in place for that
>> website and don't affect the others.
> At least on the latest version of FF, you can customize the toolbar
> where your buttons are (like home, next, prev) and add the zoom icon,
> it's a icon group that has a "+ 100% -" set of icons.   So you can click
> the + or - to change and see the percentage.   Or click the percentage
> and change to 100% immediately.    Doing it on one domain seems to
> maintain throughout that domain.
>
> Right click on toolbar to get customize.
>
> Al.

My FF 59.x on Linux
https://i.imgur.com/QMrAQxl.png
0
Big
4/13/2018 4:42:33 PM
Mark Lloyd wrote:
> Ctrl+ / ctrl- / ctrl0 is specific to the domain, and will apply to all
> pages on that domain. I closed FF and re-opened it. The zoom level was
> still there.
> I have the latest FF (59.0.2).

Never realized that it's domein-specific and kept. Works like a
charm in both FF ESR and PM. So thanks for this enlightenment.

-p

0
PietB
4/13/2018 6:58:02 PM
Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 4/12/2018 8:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message
>> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
>> <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3
>>> to 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the
>>> rest of the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons.
>>> The most crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided
>>> both webpage font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried
>>> changing the font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not
>>> working well. I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on
>>> others, and Theme Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as
>>> well as providing buttons for zooming.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>>
>> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part of
>> Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
>> wanted to do?
>
> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention that
> it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus buttons that
> when used at a specific website remain in place for that website and
> don't affect the others.

If it is just the font size that is the problem, why not set a minimum
font size?

0
EE
4/13/2018 7:11:11 PM
On 4/12/2018 8:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message
> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
> <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3
>> to 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the
>> rest of the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons.
>> The most crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided
>> both webpage font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried
>> changing the font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not
>> working well. I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on
>> others, and Theme Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as
>> well as providing buttons for zooming.
>>
>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>
> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part of
> Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
> wanted to do?

Thank you for your response. I'm now fully updated (59.0.2), and the
zoom controls did not hold until I installed the Zoom Page WE add-on.
Since I installed it, the regular zoom controls "stick." (They're a bit
more convenient than the steps required to change the font size within
Zoom Page WE.) I don't understand why this should be the case...
--
Jo-Anne

0
Jo
4/14/2018 2:35:18 AM
On 4/13/2018 8:11 AM, Big Al wrote:
> On 04/12/2018 11:34 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> On 4/12/2018 8:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne

>>> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part of
>>> Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
>>> wanted to do?
>>
>> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
>> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention
>> that it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus
>> buttons that when used at a specific website remain in place for that
>> website and don't affect the others.
> At least on the latest version of FF, you can customize the toolbar
> where your buttons are (like home, next, prev) and add the zoom icon,
> it's a icon group that has a "+ 100% -" set of icons.   So you can click
> the + or - to change and see the percentage.   Or click the percentage
> and change to 100% immediately.    Doing it on one domain seems to
> maintain throughout that domain.
>
> Right click on toolbar to get customize.
>
> Al.

Thank you, Al. As I mentioned in another post, this didn't work for me
until I installed a zoom add-on. The % changes worked only in a single
instance and went back to the default as soon as I left the website or
Firefox.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 4/13/2018 10:53 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 04/12/2018 10:34 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
>> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention
>> that it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus
>> buttons that when used at a specific website remain in place for that
>> website and don't affect the others.
>
> Ctrl+ / ctrl- / ctrl0 is specific to the domain, and will apply to all
> pages on that domain. I closed FF and re-opened it. The zoom level was
> still there.
>
> I have the latest FF (59.0.2).

Didn't work for me until I installed a zoom add-on; then the usual ways
of increasing and decreasing the font size stuck.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 4/13/2018 2:11 PM, EE wrote:
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> On 4/12/2018 8:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne

>>> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part of
>>> Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
>>> wanted to do?
>>
>> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
>> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention
>> that it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus
>> buttons that when used at a specific website remain in place for that
>> website and don't affect the others.
>
> If it is just the font size that is the problem, why not set a minimum
> font size?

No matter what minimum I set, some pages don't work right and need to
have the font changed.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 4/13/2018 5:48 AM, Peter wrote:
> On 4/12/2018 9:25 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message
>> <mailman.315.1523574542.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>> Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from
>>> 39.0.3 to 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably
>>> do the rest of the updates soon. At the first update, I lost
>>> several add-ons. The most crucial for me is Theme Font & Size
>>> Changer, which provided both webpage font changes and the ability
>>> to zoom easily. I've tried changing the font in Firefox's Tools |
>>> Options | Content, but it's not working well. I need a larger font
>>> on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme Font & Size
>>> Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing buttons for
>>> zooming.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another
>>> add-on I can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font
>>> changing in Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>>
>> Do View, Zoom, in (Ctrl +) and out (Ctrl -) [not add-ons, just part
>> of Firefox] not work in more recent Firefoxes? Or isn't this what you
>>  wanted to do?
>
> If you're looking to customize fonts I have no suggestions.  However, if
> you're looking to change the display's zoom, with a memory for the
> amount of zoom on different web pages, try NoSqint Plus.  You can change
> the default magnification for the browser, and also set specific levels
> of magnification for specific web sites.  You can also modify the colors
> of clicked and not clicked hyperlinks, as well as the font color and
> background color for text either globally or on a specific web page.
> However, it doesn't offer different font styles.

Thank you, Peter. I'll see if it works better than Zoom Page WE. I did
have NoSquint in my old Firefox, but it was shown as unsupported in the
latest Firefox. (But it wasn't "Plus.")

--
Jo-Anne

0
Jo
4/14/2018 2:42:47 AM
On 4/13/2018 5:38 AM, PietB wrote:
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
>>> 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
>>> the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
>>> crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both webpage
>>> font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried changing the
>>> font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not working well.
>>> I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme
>>> Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing
>>> buttons for zooming.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>
>> Worse and worse. I'm now updated to Firefox 57.0, and I've lost
>> Status-4-Evar as well as Theme Font and Size Changer--and I can't
>> find any substitutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> You could forget about FF57 and beyond and switch to FF ESR, which
> as yet still supports Theme Font & Size Changer. That however may
> change soon when ESR switches to a new major release. For me that
> may well mean that I can no longer use my bank's smart card reader
> plugin, which would be a pita.
>
> PaleMoon still supports Theme Font & Size Changer and other useful
> extensions and plugins. PM however doesn't work well with a couple
> of sites.
>
> So my strategy is to have *both* browsers installed and use one
> (in my case PM) as default and the other one for sites where PM
> fails.
>
> -p

Thank you, Piet. I have four browsers installed at this point: Firefox,
Pale Moon, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. I found that sometimes I
simply couldn't get certain webpages to work in either Firefox or Pale
Moon; hence the accumulation of browsers...

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 4/13/2018 11:30 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/12/18 7:08 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3
>> to 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the
>> rest of the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons.
>> The most crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided
>> both webpage font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried
>> changing the font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not
>> working well. I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on
>> others, and Theme Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as
>> well as providing buttons for zooming.
>>
>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>

> Now that you are up to Firefox 57.
>
> Some sites web pages enable Reader View in the browser.
>
> See
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-reader-view-clutter-free-web-pages>
>

> Example
> <https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/13/mozilla-starts-to-enable-tls-1-3-on-firefox-stable/>
>

> I have my view set to the dark background.

Thank you, Walt. I've used Reader View for a long time (even in my old
version 39 of Firefox). As you noted, though, only some webpages support it.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 4/13/18 10:40 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 4/13/2018 2:11 PM, EE wrote:
>> Jo-Anne wrote:

>>> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
>>> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention
>>> that it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus
>>> buttons that when used at a specific website remain in place for that
>>> website and don't affect the others.
>>
>> If it is just the font size that is the problem, why not set a minimum
>> font size?
>>

> No matter what minimum I set, some pages don't work right and need to
> have the font changed.

Did you remove the check mark (Disable) for "Allow pages to choose their
own fonts, instead of your selected items above"?

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
4/14/2018 1:20:50 PM
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 18:08:28 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
>43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
>the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
>crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both webpage
>font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried changing the
>font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not working well.
>I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme
>Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing
>buttons for zooming.
>
>Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.

Are you aware that you can zoom either in or out by holding down the
Ctrl key and scrolling the mouse wheel? No add-on is necessary; this
is a Windows standard and works in many (but not all) programs.
0
Ken
4/14/2018 3:52:24 PM
On 4/14/2018 8:20 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/13/18 10:40 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:

>>> If it is just the font size that is the problem, why not set a minimum
>>> font size?
>>>

>> No matter what minimum I set, some pages don't work right and need to
>> have the font changed.
>>

> Did you remove the check mark (Disable) for "Allow pages to choose their
> own fonts, instead of your selected items above"?

Yep. I've always had that unchecked.

The other issue that's not accounted for by the regular zoom is that
often I want only the text size increased--not the image size. On some
pages the text size is so small I can barely read it, but the images are
normal size. If both increase, the page becomes unpleasant to look at
and time-consuming to navigate.

--
Jo-Anne
0
wrote:

>Thank you, Piet. I have four browsers installed at this point: Firefox,
>Pale Moon, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. I found that sometimes I
>simply couldn't get certain webpages to work in either Firefox or Pale
>Moon; hence the accumulation of browsers...

I have three Browsers installed, FireFox, Edge and Internet Explorer.
I use FireFox almost 100% of the time. The others are there only
because they come with Windows 10, and just in case something doesn't
work in FireFox.

As far as I'm concerned, Edge is the worst browser available, and
Chrome and IE aren't too far behind it. I greatly dislike all three.
But each to his own, of course.

Regarding Pale Moon, I recommend that you read here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update-why-you-shouldnt-use-waterfox-pale-moon-or-basilisk/
0
Ken
4/14/2018 4:01:13 PM
On 4/14/2018 10:52 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 18:08:28 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
>> 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
>> the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
>> crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both webpage
>> font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried changing the
>> font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not working well.
>> I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme
>> Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing
>> buttons for zooming.
>>
>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>

> Are you aware that you can zoom either in or out by holding down the
> Ctrl key and scrolling the mouse wheel? No add-on is necessary; this
> is a Windows standard and works in many (but not all) programs.

Thank you, Ken. I tried that, but it didn't stick. Once I left any page,
the zoom returned to 100%. As I mentioned in another post, I finally
installed Zoom Page WE. Since I installed it, when I use the built-in
Windows zoom controls, they stick. It looks like I can also zoom just
the text (not the images) with this add-on, which is what worked so well
with Theme Font & Size Changer.
--
Jo-Anne
0
> On 4/13/2018 10:53 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On 04/12/2018 10:34 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Thank you for the suggestion, John. As far as I can tell, that works
>>> only temporarily--and is the same for all webpages. Not to mention
>>> that it's a pain to do. I'm after something like plus and minus
>>> buttons that when used at a specific website remain in place for that
>>> website and don't affect the others.
>>
>> Ctrl+ / ctrl- / ctrl0 is specific to the domain, and will apply to all
>> pages on that domain. I closed FF and re-opened it. The zoom level was
>> still there.
>>
>> I have the latest FF (59.0.2).
>>

> Didn't work for me until I installed a zoom add-on; then the usual ways
> of increasing and decreasing the font size stuck.

about:config

set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/14/2018 4:22:45 PM
On 4/14/2018 11:01 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 21:44:44 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Thank you, Piet. I have four browsers installed at this point: Firefox,
>> Pale Moon, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. I found that sometimes I
>> simply couldn't get certain webpages to work in either Firefox or Pale
>> Moon; hence the accumulation of browsers...
>

> I have three Browsers installed, FireFox, Edge and Internet Explorer.
> I use FireFox almost 100% of the time. The others are there only
> because they come with Windows 10, and just in case something doesn't
> work in FireFox.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, Edge is the worst browser available, and
> Chrome and IE aren't too far behind it. I greatly dislike all three.
> But each to his own, of course.
>
> Regarding Pale Moon, I recommend that you read here:
> https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update-why-you-shouldnt-use-waterfox-pale-moon-or-basilisk/

Thank you, Ken. I've been forced to use Chrome or IE when the version of
Firefox that I was using was "too old" and unsupported by some
commercial websites. I've used IE occasionally to print parts of
webpages, since it's the only browser that does this well. Firefox is
lacking dramatically in this area. In fact, now that some of my
extensions have disappeared, I can no longer highlight a portion of a
page and print just that (always a weak point in Firefox).

--
Jo-Anne
0
> On 4/14/2018 8:20 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> No matter what minimum I set, some pages don't work right and need to
>>> have the font changed.
>>>

>> Did you remove the check mark (Disable) for "Allow pages to choose their
>> own fonts, instead of your selected items above"?
>>

> Yep. I've always had that unchecked.
>
> The other issue that's not accounted for by the regular zoom is that
> often I want only the text size increased--not the image size. On some
> pages the text size is so small I can barely read it, but the images are
> normal size. If both increase, the page becomes unpleasant to look at
> and time-consuming to navigate.

If you only want the text to zoom, and not the whole page, set

browser.zoom.full

to false

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.zoom.full

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/14/2018 4:25:50 PM
On 4/14/2018 11:22 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 4/13/2018 at 10:39 PM, Jo-Anne created this epitome of digital genius:
>> On 4/13/2018 10:53 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>> On 04/12/2018 10:34 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Ctrl+ / ctrl- / ctrl0 is specific to the domain, and will apply to all
>>> pages on that domain. I closed FF and re-opened it. The zoom level was
>>> still there.
>>>
>>> I have the latest FF (59.0.2).
>>>

>> Didn't work for me until I installed a zoom add-on; then the usual
>> ways of increasing and decreasing the font size stuck.
>>

> about:config
>
> set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true

Thank you, Ed! That might explain why some people have had zoom stick
when mine didn't.

--
Jo-Anne
0
wrote:

>On 4/14/2018 11:01 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 21:44:44 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you, Piet. I have four browsers installed at this point: Firefox,
>>> Pale Moon, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. I found that sometimes I
>>> simply couldn't get certain webpages to work in either Firefox or Pale
>>> Moon; hence the accumulation of browsers...
>>

>> I have three Browsers installed, FireFox, Edge and Internet Explorer.
>> I use FireFox almost 100% of the time. The others are there only
>> because they come with Windows 10, and just in case something doesn't
>> work in FireFox.
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, Edge is the worst browser available, and
>> Chrome and IE aren't too far behind it. I greatly dislike all three.
>> But each to his own, of course.
>>
>> Regarding Pale Moon, I recommend that you read here:
>> https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update-why-you-shouldnt-use-waterfox-pale-moon-or-basilisk/
>>

>Thank you, Ken. I've been forced to use Chrome or IE when the version of
>Firefox that I was using was "too old" and unsupported by some
>commercial websites. I've used IE occasionally to print parts of
>webpages, since it's the only browser that does this well. Firefox is
>lacking dramatically in this area. In fact, now that some of my
>extensions have disappeared, I can no longer highlight a portion of a
>page and print just that (always a weak point in Firefox).

You might want to try using Snipping Tool on FireFox.
0
Ken
4/14/2018 5:13:39 PM
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 11:10:03 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On 4/14/2018 10:52 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 18:08:28 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just did two Firefox updates--as suggested by Firefox: from 39.0.3 to
>>> 43.0.1 and then from 43.0.1 to 47.0.2, and will probably do the rest of
>>> the updates soon. At the first update, I lost several add-ons. The most
>>> crucial for me is Theme Font & Size Changer, which provided both webpage
>>> font changes and the ability to zoom easily. I've tried changing the
>>> font in Firefox's Tools | Options | Content, but it's not working well.
>>> I need a larger font on certain webpages but not on others, and Theme
>>> Font & Size Changer did a great job for that, as well as providing
>>> buttons for zooming.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make this add-on work or is there another add-on I
>>> can use to do what I need in this area? I did google font changing in
>>> Firefox but was unable to find anything useful.
>>

>> Are you aware that you can zoom either in or out by holding down the
>> Ctrl key and scrolling the mouse wheel? No add-on is necessary; this
>> is a Windows standard and works in many (but not all) programs.
>>

>Thank you, Ken. I tried that, but it didn't stick. Once I left any page,
>the zoom returned to 100%.

I don't know what to tell you, other than that it sticks here. So
something must be wrong on your setup.
0
Ken
4/14/2018 5:15:23 PM
On 4/14/2018 12:15 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 11:10:03 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/14/2018 10:52 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Are you aware that you can zoom either in or out by holding down the
>>> Ctrl key and scrolling the mouse wheel? No add-on is necessary; this
>>> is a Windows standard and works in many (but not all) programs.
>>>

>> Thank you, Ken. I tried that, but it didn't stick. Once I left any page,
>> the zoom returned to 100%.
>

> I don't know what to tell you, other than that it sticks here. So
> something must be wrong on your setup.

Per Ed Mullen's post earlier today:

about:config

set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true

0
Jo
4/14/2018 5:25:19 PM
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 12:25:19 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On 4/14/2018 12:15 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 11:10:03 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Thank you, Ken. I tried that, but it didn't stick. Once I left any page,
>>> the zoom returned to 100%.
>>

>> I don't know what to tell you, other than that it sticks here. So
>> something must be wrong on your setup.
>>

>Per Ed Mullen's post earlier today:
>
>about:config
>
>set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true

Yes, thanks. I see that it's set to true here.
0
Ken
4/14/2018 5:47:41 PM
Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 4/13/2018 5:38 AM, PietB wrote:
>> Jo-Anne wrote:

>>> Worse and worse. I'm now updated to Firefox 57.0, and I've lost
>>> Status-4-Evar as well as Theme Font and Size Changer--and I can't
>>> find any substitutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> You could forget about FF57 and beyond and switch to FF ESR, which
>> as yet still supports Theme Font & Size Changer. That however may
>> change soon when ESR switches to a new major release. For me that
>> may well mean that I can no longer use my bank's smart card reader
>> plugin, which would be a pita.
>>
>> PaleMoon still supports Theme Font & Size Changer and other useful
>> extensions and plugins. PM however doesn't work well with a couple
>> of sites.
>>
>> So my strategy is to have *both* browsers installed and use one
>> (in my case PM) as default and the other one for sites where PM
>> fails.
>>
>> -p
>>

> Thank you, Piet. I have four browsers installed at this point: Firefox,
> Pale Moon, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. I found that sometimes I
> simply couldn't get certain webpages to work in either Firefox or Pale
> Moon; hence the accumulation of browsers...

I have the same problem, so I have SeaMonkey, Pale Moon, Opera and Safari.

0
EE
4/14/2018 6:10:09 PM
On 4/14/18 11:58 AM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 4/14/2018 8:20 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> No matter what minimum I set, some pages don't work right and need to
>>> have the font changed.
>>>

>> Did you remove the check mark (Disable) for "Allow pages to choose their
>> own fonts, instead of your selected items above"?
>>

> Yep. I've always had that unchecked.
>
> The other issue that's not accounted for by the regular zoom is that
> often I want only the text size increased--not the image size. On some
> pages the text size is so small I can barely read it, but the images are
> normal size. If both increase, the page becomes unpleasant to look at
> and time-consuming to navigate.

The menu item for View in the Menu Bar has Zoom > Zoom Text Only in my
version of 59.0.2.

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
4/14/2018 9:08:25 PM
On 4/14/2018 4:08 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/14/18 11:58 AM, Jo-Anne wrote:

>>> Did you remove the check mark (Disable) for "Allow pages to choose their
>>> own fonts, instead of your selected items above"?
>>>

>> Yep. I've always had that unchecked.
>>
>> The other issue that's not accounted for by the regular zoom is that
>> often I want only the text size increased--not the image size. On some
>> pages the text size is so small I can barely read it, but the images
>> are normal size. If both increase, the page becomes unpleasant to look
>> at and time-consuming to navigate.
>>

> The menu item for View in the Menu Bar has Zoom > Zoom Text Only in my
> version of 59.0.2.

Thank you, Walt. I've now picked it.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 4/14/2018 11:25 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 4/14/2018 at 11:58 AM, Jo-Anne created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> Did you remove the check mark (Disable) for "Allow pages to choose their
>>> own fonts, instead of your selected items above"?
>>>

>> Yep. I've always had that unchecked.
>>
>> The other issue that's not accounted for by the regular zoom is that
>> often I want only the text size increased--not the image size. On some
>> pages the text size is so small I can barely read it, but the images
>> are normal size. If both increase, the page becomes unpleasant to look
>> at and time-consuming to navigate.
>>

> If you only want the text to zoom, and not the whole page, set
>
> browser.zoom.full
>
> to false
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.zoom.full

Thank you, Ed. As Walt pointed out, you can also choose to zoom text
only in View.

--
Jo-Anne
0
<Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
[]
>Thank you, Ken. I've been forced to use Chrome or IE when the version
>of Firefox that I was using was "too old" and unsupported by some
>commercial websites. I've used IE occasionally to print parts of
[]
There are two reasons it could be "too old": it could be that it
genuinely _is_ too old, i. e. it doesn't implement some function that is
needed to make the website work; or (and I suspect this is too common
the case), the website coders have just been lazy and let their compiler
default to only accepting the latest browser version, even though it
would in fact have worked with the version you have. If this is the
case, then one of the add-ons that present a fake user agent string
might make your older version work.

(Though I think you've said you're in the process of moving to the
latest version anyway, so maybe it won't be a problem once you get
there.)

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells
On 4/14/18 1:25 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 4/14/2018 12:15 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 11:10:03 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Thank you, Ken. I tried that, but it didn't stick. Once I left any page,
>>> the zoom returned to 100%.
>>

>> I don't know what to tell you, other than that it sticks here. So
>> something must be wrong on your setup.
>>

> Per Ed Mullen's post earlier today:
>
> about:config
>
> set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true

The user shouldn't have to set that. It is the default.

Maybe you need to Refresh your profile.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings>

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
4/14/2018 10:30:12 PM
On 4/14/2018 5:08 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message
> <mailman.371.1523723091.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
> <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
> []
>> Thank you, Ken. I've been forced to use Chrome or IE when the version
>> of Firefox that I was using was "too old" and unsupported by some
>> commercial websites. I've used IE occasionally to print parts of
> []
> There are two reasons it could be "too old": it could be that it
> genuinely _is_ too old, i. e. it doesn't implement some function that is
> needed to make the website work; or (and I suspect this is too common
> the case), the website coders have just been lazy and let their compiler
> default to only accepting the latest browser version, even though it
> would in fact have worked with the version you have. If this is the
> case, then one of the add-ons that present a fake user agent string
> might make your older version work.
>
> (Though I think you've said you're in the process of moving to the
> latest version anyway, so maybe it won't be a problem once you get there.)

Thank you, John. Laziness and incompetence are both likely. Some of the
companies I deal with are small ones and probably don't have in-house IT
staff. The larger ones that could make their websites work have chosen
not to.

I have updated to the latest Firefox (59.0.2), and I'm unhappy with its
look and feel in many ways. I have, however, been able to place an order
at a previously problematic website, and it worked OK and gave me a
proper page to print instead of cutting it off at around the midpoint
vertically.

I've already spent about eight hours configuring the new Firefox to work
for me, and I'll probably have to spend even more time at it.

One amusing situation: I often use the USPS website. After I updated to
the latest Firefox, I got the following message on the USPS home page:
"Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read
more ›" I clicked on "Read more" and got "Good news — your browser is up
to date." I'm still getting the alert when I go to the home page. You'd
think that (1) it should have recognized my up-to-date browser and not
given me the alert at all or (2) having given me the alert once and
having determined I was up-to-date, it wouldn't give me that message again.

--
Jo-Anne

0
Jo
4/14/2018 11:21:17 PM
On 4/14/2018 5:30 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/14/18 1:25 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> On 4/14/2018 12:15 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> I don't know what to tell you, other than that it sticks here. So
>>> something must be wrong on your setup.
>>>

>> Per Ed Mullen's post earlier today:
>>
>> about:config
>>
>> set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true
>>

> The user shouldn't have to set that. It is the default.
>
> Maybe you need to Refresh your profile.
>
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings>

I'll check into doing that--but I never made a change to about:config in
any version of Firefox, so I have no idea why it would be set to
anything other than the default--unless one of the addons made that
change...

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 4/14/2018 5:30 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/14/18 1:25 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> On 4/14/2018 12:15 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> I don't know what to tell you, other than that it sticks here. So
>>> something must be wrong on your setup.
>>>

>> Per Ed Mullen's post earlier today:
>>
>> about:config
>>
>> set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true
>>

> The user shouldn't have to set that. It is the default.
>
> Maybe you need to Refresh your profile.
>
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings>

Addendum: According to
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings,
if I do a reset, I'll lose my add-on extensions and themes.

--
Jo-Anne
0
<Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>On 4/14/2018 5:30 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
[]
>> The user shouldn't have to set that. It is the default.
>>
>> Maybe you need to Refresh your profile.
>>

>><https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and
>>-settings>
>>

>I'll check into doing that--but I never made a change to about:config
>in any version of Firefox, so I have no idea why it would be set to
>anything other than the default--unless one of the addons made that
>change...

In about:config, settings that have been changed from the default are
either bold or not bold - I forget which, but it should be obvious.
Though I'm not sure if this is the case if they've been changed by an
add-on rather than the user, though I would _expect_ the changes to show
up whoever/whatever made them.

I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding that I get up
early on Sundays to apologize for being human.
-- Captain Splendid (quoted by "The Real Bev" in mozilla.general, 2014-11-16)
On 4/14/18 7:37 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 4/14/2018 5:30 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Per Ed Mullen's post earlier today:
>>>
>>> about:config
>>>
>>> set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true
>>>

>> The user shouldn't have to set that. It is the default.
>>
>> Maybe you need to Refresh your profile.
>>
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings>
>>

> Addendum: According to
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings,
> if I do a reset, I'll lose my add-on extensions and themes.

Well, those could be what are causing your problems.

If there are some you have removed from Firefox, most likely the
settings are still active in the configuration. A refresh clears all of
that out.

Extensions are easy enough to restore from the Old Firefox Data folder
that will appear on your desktop.

Open it, open the old profile folder that is saved, copy the Extensions
folder to the new profile folder (with Firefox closed), start Firefox,
go through the steps of enabling them. I wait until I have enabled all
of them before restarting Firefox again.

The alternative would be to use Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled and
see if the problems go away, then track down which extension(s) caused
the problem.

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
4/15/2018 12:13:30 AM
On 4/14/2018 7:08 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message
> <mailman.386.1523748983.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
> <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>> On 4/14/2018 5:30 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> []
>>> The user shouldn't have to set that. It is the default.
>>>
>>> Maybe you need to Refresh your profile.
>>>

>>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and
>>> -settings>
>>>

>> I'll check into doing that--but I never made a change to about:config
>> in any version of Firefox, so I have no idea why it would be set to
>> anything other than the default--unless one of the addons made that
>> change...
>>
> In about:config, settings that have been changed from the default are
> either bold or not bold - I forget which, but it should be obvious.
> Though I'm not sure if this is the case if they've been changed by an
> add-on rather than the user, though I would _expect_ the changes to show
> up whoever/whatever made them.

I checked, and several settings have been boldfaced, which means
something (other than me) changed them.

--
Jo-Anne

0
Jo

Thank you, Walt!

--
Jo-Anne
0

> On 4/14/2018 7:08 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message
>> <mailman.386.1523748983.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>> Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:

           [ ... ]

>>> I'll check into doing that--but I never made a change to
>>> about:config in any version of Firefox,

      You may not have done it directly, but you've done it.

>>>                                         so I have no idea why it
>>> would be set to anything other than the default--unless one of the
>>> addons made that change...

>> In about:config, settings that have been changed from the default
>> are either bold or not bold - I forget which, but it should be
>> obvious. Though I'm not sure if this is the case if they've been
>> changed by an add-on rather than the user, though I would _expect_
>> the changes to show up whoever/whatever made them.

> I checked, and several settings have been boldfaced, which means
> something (other than me) changed them.

      Most, if not all, of the options in the Tools --> Options UI
dialog have corresponding about:config preferences, so any time you
change something in the Tools --> Options UI you are indirectly
changing the associated about:config preference.  Here's a quick
illustrative example.

      Open about:config, filter on "spell" (without the quotation
marks), and note the status and value of the layout.spellcheckDefault
preference.

Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> General

and check or uncheck, as appropriate, the "Check my spelling as I
type" option.

      Return to the about:config tab and you should see that the status
and value of the layout.spellcheckDefault preference have changed.

      Return to the Options tab and again check or uncheck the "Check
my spelling as I type" option, to return it to its original setting.

      Return to the about:config tab and you should see that the status
and value of the layout.spellcheckDefault preference have changed back
to what you previously noted.

      Close both tabs.

                                         Ken Whiton
--
     FIDO: 1:132/152
Ken
> On 4/14/2018 7:08 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message
>> <mailman.386.1523748983.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
>> <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>>> On 4/14/2018 5:30 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> []

>>> I'll check into doing that--but I never made a change to about:config
>>> in any version of Firefox, so I have no idea why it would be set to
>>> anything other than the default--unless one of the addons made that
>>> change...
>>>
>> In about:config, settings that have been changed from the default are
>> either bold or not bold - I forget which, but it should be obvious.
>> Though I'm not sure if this is the case if they've been changed by an
>> add-on rather than the user, though I would _expect_ the changes to show
>> up whoever/whatever made them.
>
> I checked, and several settings have been boldfaced, which means
> something (other than me) changed them.

If you change a setting from the default in Tools - Options that will
show up in about:config as bold and Status as Modified. Same thing for
an add-on that makes a change.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/15/2018 2:54:27 PM
On 4/15/2018 3:15 AM, Ken Whiton wrote:
> *-* On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, at 22:13:47 -0500,
> *-* In Article
> <mailman.403.1523762062.2177.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
> *-* Jo-Anne wrote
> *-* About Re: Font changing help needed
>
>> On 4/14/2018 7:08 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <mailman.386.1523748983.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>>> Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> writes:
>
>            [ ... ]

>       You may not have done it directly, but you've done it.

>>> In about:config, settings that have been changed from the default
>>> are either bold or not bold - I forget which, but it should be
>>> obvious. Though I'm not sure if this is the case if they've been
>>> changed by an add-on rather than the user, though I would _expect_
>>> the changes to show up whoever/whatever made them.
>
>> I checked, and several settings have been boldfaced, which means
>> something (other than me) changed them.
>
>       Most, if not all, of the options in the Tools --> Options UI
> dialog have corresponding about:config preferences, so any time you
> change something in the Tools --> Options UI you are indirectly
> changing the associated about:config preference.  Here's a quick
> illustrative example.
>
>       Open about:config, filter on "spell" (without the quotation
> marks), and note the status and value of the layout.spellcheckDefault
> preference.
>
> Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> General
>
> and check or uncheck, as appropriate, the "Check my spelling as I
> type" option.
>
>       Return to the about:config tab and you should see that the status
> and value of the layout.spellcheckDefault preference have changed.
>
>       Return to the Options tab and again check or uncheck the "Check
> my spelling as I type" option, to return it to its original setting.
>
>       Return to the about:config tab and you should see that the status
> and value of the layout.spellcheckDefault preference have changed back
> to what you previously noted.
>
>       Close both tabs.
>
>                                          Ken Whiton

Thank you, Ken. That certainly explains how some of the changes were
made. The odd thing is that in my previous version of Firefox, any zoom
changes I made with + and - were kept, apparently despite having
about:config set not to do so.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 04/14/2018 05:30 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

[snip]

>> Per Ed Mullen's post earlier today:
>>
>> about:config
>>
>> set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true
>>

> The user shouldn't have to set that. It is the default.

In have that set to true, and it is the default. For those with it set
to false, maybe some extension did it. I use the zoom feature on some
pages, but have never needed an extension.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"File Linking Error. Your mistake is now in every file."
0
Mark
4/15/2018 4:43:25 PM
On 04/14/2018 07:08 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[snip]

> In about:config, settings that have been changed from the default are
> either bold or not bold - I forget which, but it should be obvious.
> Though I'm not sure if this is the case if they've been changed by an
> add-on rather than the user, though I would _expect_ the changes to show
> up whoever/whatever made them.

Bold indicates it's changed. I see a lot of bold items and I know I
didn't change nearly that many.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"File Linking Error. Your mistake is now in every file."
0
Mark
4/15/2018 4:47:37 PM
On 04/14/2018 06:37 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:

[snip]

> Addendum: According to
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings,
> if I do a reset, I'll lose my add-on extensions and themes.

One of more of them may have changed the preference. You could try
re-installing them one at a time

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"File Linking Error. Your mistake is now in every file."
0
Mark
4/15/2018 4:49:09 PM
In message
<mailman.3.1523810636.2158.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Mark
Lloyd <not@mail.invalid> writes:
>On 04/14/2018 05:30 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>> Per Ed Mullen's post earlier today:
>>>
>>> about:config
>>>
>>> set browser.zoom.siteSpecific to true
>>>
>>   The user shouldn't have to set that. It is the default.
>
>In have that set to true, and it is the default. For those with it set
>to false, maybe some extension did it. I use the zoom feature on some
>pages, but have never needed an extension.

When Firefox _is_ remembering, where does it store the table of which
sites have what zooms? Is it in the profile? Is it in human-readable
form (or even human-editable)?

I have never liked children, even when I was one.
- Miriam Margolyes (RT 2014/11/1-7)
On 4/15/2018 9:54 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 4/14/2018 at 11:13 PM, Jo-Anne created this epitome of digital genius:
>> On 4/14/2018 7:08 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <mailman.386.1523748983.2176.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Jo-Anne
>>> []

>>> In about:config, settings that have been changed from the default are
>>> either bold or not bold - I forget which, but it should be obvious.
>>> Though I'm not sure if this is the case if they've been changed by an
>>> add-on rather than the user, though I would _expect_ the changes to show
>>> up whoever/whatever made them.
>>
>> I checked, and several settings have been boldfaced, which means
>> something (other than me) changed them.
>>

> If you change a setting from the default in Tools - Options that will
> show up in about:config as bold and Status as Modified. Same thing for
> an add-on that makes a change.

Thank you, Ed. That makes sense, given that I have had nothing to do
with About:Config in the past.

--
Jo-Anne
0

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data>

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/16/2018 1:22:39 PM
In message
<mailman.25.1523898210.2157.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Ed
Mullen <ejEMOVER@edmullen.net> writes:
>On 4/15/2018 at 4:21 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) created this epitome of
>digital genius:
[]
>> When Firefox _is_ remembering, where does it store the table of which
>>sites have what zooms? Is it in the profile? Is it in human-readable
>>form (or even human-editable)?
>
><https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data>

Thanks; interesting page. So the answer to my questions are
permissions.sqlite and content-prefs.sqlite, yes it's in the profile
(and doesn't say whether human readable/editable form, though I suspect
not without an SQL handler).

Santa's elves are just a bunch of subordinate Clauses.