Focus to new tab search

I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a way
to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.

Any suggestions?

(Of course I'd really like to be able to set new tab to a url but ...)
0
Millwood
4/11/2018 6:47:28 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

Millwood wrote:
> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a way
> to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (Of course I'd really like to be able to set new tab to a url but ...)

New Tab URL extension.  Duh.

0
Millwood
4/11/2018 6:52:49 PM
Millwood wrote:

> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a way
> to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.

How many presses of your tab key does it take to get to your search box?
0
Richard
4/11/2018 7:36:55 PM
Richard Alan wrote:
> Millwood wrote:
>
>> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
>> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a way
>> to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>
> How many presses of your tab key does it take to get to your search box?

Thank you for pointing out that tab will move focus - it takes three in
my case.  I have no idea where focus is after the first two.  (I do not
have a search bar in the top area, just a url bar).
0
Millwood
4/12/2018 1:30:51 AM
Millwood wrote:

> Richard Alan wrote:
>> Millwood wrote:
>>> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
>>> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a
>>> way to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>>
>> How many presses of your tab key does it take to get to your search
>> box?
>
> Thank you for pointing out that tab will move focus - it takes three in
> my case.  I have no idea where focus is after the first two.  (I do not
> have a search bar in the top area, just a url bar).

Press Enter and see what happens? Is there a "search bar" in the new tab?
Google, DuckDuckGo, other? You should see a blinking cursor when you get
there.

If not, what exactly do you mean by "search bar?"
0
Richard
4/12/2018 2:50:15 AM
Millwood wrote:

> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a way
> to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.

With focus set to the address bar, why not search there?  The same
default search engine gets used in the address bar as what you specified
as the search page for a new tab.  I have Firefox open a blank new tab
and do the searches from the address bar.

The search bar was redundant because you can search from the address
bar.  Now that you removed the search bar, the address bar becomes the
remaining search bar.  When opening a new tab and since the insert point
defaults to the address bar, you're already in a search bar.
0
VanguardLH
4/12/2018 3:26:26 AM
On 4/11/18 9:30 PM, Millwood wrote:
> Richard Alan wrote:
>> Millwood wrote:
>>
>>> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
>>> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a way
>>> to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>>
>> How many presses of your tab key does it take to get to your search box?
>>
> Thank you for pointing out that tab will move focus - it takes three in
> my case.  I have no idea where focus is after the first two.  (I do not
> have a search bar in the top area, just a url bar).

When I open a new tab the focus is in the Address bar, which has been
pointed out the user can use to do searches.

The first tab key press selects the top and right side border of the new
tab, the second key press selects the Firefox logo in the upper left of
the page and the third key press selects the Search box.

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
On 04/12/2018 09:59 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

[snip]

> The first tab key press selects the top and right side border of the new
> tab, the second key press selects the Firefox logo in the upper left of
> the page and the third key press selects the Search box.

One mouse click does it. This applies to any text field in a GUI. I'm so
used to clicking where I want to type, it's almost automatic.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The government ought to stay out of the prayer business." -- Jimmy
Carter
0
Mark
4/12/2018 3:56:17 PM
WaltS48 wrote:

> The first tab key press selects the top and right side border of the new
> tab, the second key press selects the Firefox logo in the upper left of
> the page and the third key press selects the Search box.

I'm still wondering the exact nature of Millwood's "search bar" i.e. is
(was) it another field next to the "address bar" or does his "new tab"
contain a web page such as Google, DuckDuckGo, Bing or whatever.

A bit of detail would go a long way to assistance.
0
Richard
4/12/2018 4:37:13 PM
Millwood wrote:
> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.� When I open a new
> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.� I can't find a way
> to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (Of course I'd really like to be able to set new tab to a url but ...)

I guess Ctrl-K does not work any more to focus the search bar?

0
EE
4/12/2018 5:17:48 PM
On 4/12/18 12:37 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>
>> The first tab key press selects the top and right side border of the new
>> tab, the second key press selects the Firefox logo in the upper left of
>> the page and the third key press selects the Search box.
>
> I'm still wondering the exact nature of Millwood's "search bar" i.e. is
> (was) it another field next to the "address bar" or does his "new tab"
> contain a web page such as Google, DuckDuckGo, Bing or whatever.
>
> A bit of detail would go a long way to assistance.

In a new tab it is below the "address bar" and part of the page above
the "Top Sites" row of icons.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/about-new-tab-page

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
4/12/2018 5:27:55 PM
On 4/12/18 1:17 PM, EE wrote:
> Millwood wrote:
>> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a
>> new tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't
>> find a way to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> (Of course I'd really like to be able to set new tab to a url but ...)
>
> I guess Ctrl-K does not work any more to focus the search bar?

It does work here on Mac OSX 10.13.3 with FF 59.0.2 (64bit) using ⌘-K

0
Reed
4/12/2018 5:53:06 PM
On 4/12/2018 1:17 PM, EE wrote:
> Millwood wrote:
>> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
>> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a
>> way to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> (Of course I'd really like to be able to set new tab to a url but ...)
>
> I guess Ctrl-K does not work any more to focus the search bar?

It does if you have the Search Bar in the Address Bar.

Millwood only has the Address Bar.

In his New Tab page he has Web Search enabled, which puts a Search field
in the page content.

Like this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/about-new-tab-page

0
WaltS48
4/12/2018 6:41:29 PM
In message
<mailman.298.1523548609.2177.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Mark
Lloyd <not@mail.invalid> writes:
>On 04/12/2018 09:59 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> The first tab key press selects the top and right side border of the
>>new  tab, the second key press selects the Firefox logo in the upper
>>left of  the page and the third key press selects the Search box.
>
>One mouse click does it. This applies to any text field in a GUI. I'm
>so used to clicking where I want to type, it's almost automatic.

For those who prefer keyboard operation, having to go to the mouse to
achieve things is undesirable. For me, using the tab key to  move
between text fields in a webform is just as "almost automatic": if my
hands are on the keyboard to type something, I don't want to take them
off to do a mouse click, then bring them back to type the next lot of
text, if one press of the tab key does the move-to-next-text-field job.

Neither way of working is "better", but neither should be deprecated,
either.

"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion." - Harlan Ellison
On 4/12/2018 at 2:41 PM, WaltS48 created this epitome of digital genius:
> On 4/12/2018 1:17 PM, EE wrote:
>> Millwood wrote:
>>> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
>>> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a
>>> way to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> (Of course I'd really like to be able to set new tab to a url but ...)
>>
>> I guess Ctrl-K does not work any more to focus the search bar?
>>

> It does if you have the Search Bar in the Address Bar.
>
> Millwood only has the Address Bar.
>
> In his New Tab page he has Web Search enabled, which puts a Search field
> in the page content.
>
> Like this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/about-new-tab-page

Win 10, FF 59.0.2 here, no search bar visible, CTRL+K puts the focus in
the address bar.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/13/2018 3:15:11 PM
On 04/12/2018 12:17 PM, EE wrote:

[snip]

> I guess Ctrl-K does not work any more to focus the search bar?

I just tried that on FF 59. It worked.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Cure available for EMS (excess money syndrome). $10,000 per week.
Guaranteed to work or you pay for it again.
0
Mark
4/13/2018 3:57:48 PM
On 04/12/2018 08:21 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[snip]

>> One mouse click does it. This applies to any text field in a GUI. I'm
>> so used to clicking where I want to type, it's almost automatic.
>>
> For those who prefer keyboard operation, having to go to the mouse to
> achieve things is undesirable.

It is. For that reason, it can be good to have BOTH methods available.

> For me, using the tab key to  move
> between text fields in a webform is just as "almost automatic": if my
> hands are on the keyboard to type something, I don't want to take them
> off to do a mouse click, then bring them back to type the next lot of
> text, if one press of the tab key does the move-to-next-text-field job.

The 'tab' method can be harder, since it has multiple effects* and you
have to look to see what it did. As I read here CTRL-K works (although
it could be FF-specific). Mouse click works for all GUI programs (AFAIK).

> Neither way of working is "better", but neither should be deprecated,
> either.

True. I am still not aware of a keyboard method for selecting a field
that is as generally useful as the mouse click.

* - it switches between fields, so one press is not guaranteed to select
any particular one. The same way "channel up" on a TV will not always
select channel 7.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Cure available for EMS (excess money syndrome). $10,000 per week.
Guaranteed to work or you pay for it again.
0
Mark
4/13/2018 4:08:03 PM
On 2018-04-12 1:17 PM, EE wrote:
> Millwood wrote:
>> I have address bar only and new tab set to search.  When I open a new
>> tab focus is in the address bar, not the search bar.  I can't find a
>> way to change this or a keyboard shortcut to move focus.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> (Of course I'd really like to be able to set new tab to a url but ...)
>
> I guess Ctrl-K does not work any more to focus the search bar?

It depends on the preferences you have set in Preferences > Search.

*Use the address bar for search and navigation*: Keyboard shortcut goes
to address bar.

*Add search bar in toolbar*: Keyboard shortcut goes to search bar.

For more information, check out
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/my-search-bar-gone-how-add-it-back>

The search bar Millwood is referring to is within the new tab page.
Here's a screenshot outlining it:
<http://ilias.ca/screenshots/fx59-newtabsearch.png>

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>