firefox3 dialling home (firefox 3 firefox 3.0.1)

When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
the internet which was not happening in FF2.

Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?

I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.

No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
This is not the issue.

Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
dialling home annoyance.

Cheers
0
johnnyb

On 13.09.2008 22:45, johnnyb wrote:

> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>
> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>
> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>
> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
> This is not the issue.
>
> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
> dialling home annoyance.
>
> Cheers

How do you know that its accessing the internet?

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
On Sep 14, 3:45=A0pm, johnnyb <john.bubl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>
> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>
> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>
> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
> This is not the issue.
>
> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
> dialling home annoyance.
>
> Cheers

Forgot to add that the options for "check for suspected attack",
"allow to install addons", and "suspected forgeries" are all disabled.

Also discovered the IP address is always 63.245.209.10:http which
belongs to 'Mozilla Corporation'.
0
johnnyb
9/14/2008 4:38:01 AM
On Sep 14, 4:05=A0pm, Jay Garcia <J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:
> On 13.09.2008 22:45, johnnyb wrote:
>

> =A0--- Original Message ---
>
> > When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
> > ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
> > the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>
> > Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>
> > I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>
> > No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
> > This is not the issue.
>
> > Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
> > dialling home annoyance.
>
> > Cheers
>
> How do you know that its accessing the internet?
>
> --
> Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Championwww.ufaq.org
> Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

I have both the "Network Status" and "zone alarm" taskbar icons
showing in the taskbar and they both "light up".
0
johnnyb
9/14/2008 4:39:48 AM

>> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
>> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
>> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>>
>> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>>
>> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
>> This is not the issue.
>>
>> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
>> dialling home annoyance.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> How do you know that its accessing the internet?

It appears to be requesting the page for the currently selected bookmark, with cookies etc. Maybe it would update the icon too. I don't see it doing anything interesting if the link is bad, no marks or anything on the bookmark. I'm using Fiddler2. I also would prefer to be able to edit the bookmarks without hitting each site.

0
Paul
9/14/2008 5:04:31 AM

>> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
>> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
>> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>>
>> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>>
>> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
>> This is not the issue.
>>
>> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
>> dialling home annoyance.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Forgot to add that the options for "check for suspected attack",
> "allow to install addons", and "suspected forgeries" are all disabled.
>
> Also discovered the IP address is always 63.245.209.10:http which
> belongs to 'Mozilla Corporation'.

I don't see that here. I see it only going to the bookmark link. We may have a difference in our settings.

0
Paul
9/14/2008 5:14:55 AM
On Sep 14, 5:04=A0pm, Paul <u...@domain.invalid> wrote:
> [...]

It is definitely connecting to 63.245.209.10:http which belongs to
'Mozilla Corporation'. I see no valid reason for this if it is trying
to establish a connection to the "bookmark" site to update any data or
metadata. My guess is that Mozilla are tracking bookmark history which
I find very distasteful.
0
johnnyb
9/14/2008 5:18:41 AM
On 9/13/08 11:45 PM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>
> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>
> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>
> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
> This is not the issue.
>
> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
> dialling home annoyance.

Perhaps a live title?
See
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+makes+unrequested+connections>.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On Sep 14, 5:22=A0pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> On 9/13/08 11:45 PM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
>
> > When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
> > ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
> > the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>
> > Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>
> > I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>
> > No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
> > This is not the issue.
>
> > Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
> > dialling home annoyance.
>
> Perhaps a live title?
> See
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+makes+unrequested+connect...=
>.
>
> --
> Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

I have read and researched this option but find no credibility. I
truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.

I am fully aware that google, yahoo, and all visited websites, et-al
are tracking us and this is to be expected as they are site-suppliers.
But the fact that it appears the "front-end browser", namely
firefox3.0.1 is "keeping tabs" totally disturbs me.
0
johnnyb
9/14/2008 5:48:15 AM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:48:15 -0700 (PDT), in message <48f9ee26-5ad1-49ae-b742-57ae9463ee4a@s1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
johnnyb wrote:

> On Sep 14, 5:22�pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> > On 9/13/08 11:45 PM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
> >
> > > When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
> > > ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
> > > the internet which was not happening in FF2.
> >
> > > Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
> >
> > > I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
> >
> > > No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
> > > This is not the issue.
> >
> > > Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
> > > dialling home annoyance.
> >
> > Perhaps a live title?
> > See
> > <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+makes+unrequested+connect...>.
> >

> I have read and researched this option but find no credibility. I
> truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.

Q.  Does the "Live HTTP Headers" extension capture the HTTP headers
    of what is sent & received ?

[snipped quoted sigs]
--
Cheers,
Ralph

0
Ralph
9/14/2008 6:10:40 AM
johnnyb wrote:
> On Sep 14, 5:22 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
>> On 9/13/08 11:45 PM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
>>
>>> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
>>> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
>>> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>>> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>>> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>>> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
>>> This is not the issue.
>>> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
>>> dialling home annoyance.
>> Perhaps a live title?
>> See
>> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+makes+unrequested+connect...>.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
>
> I have read and researched this option but find no credibility. I
> truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.

I don't think so, there's more downside on this for them than up. And it
doesn't do it on mine. If it were a google browser -- look out. I'm more
concerned with microsoft tracking me when I search on my local files.
Your movements can be tracked by the dns server, look at opendns for
example, this is a growing intrusion. Basically, if you don't want to be
tracked, don't use the internet, cell phone, automobile, etc. Don't even
walk down the street or you end up on google maps.. :+>

0
Paul
9/14/2008 6:49:14 AM
On 9/14/08 1:48 AM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
> On Sep 14, 5:22 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
>> On 9/13/08 11:45 PM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
>>
>>> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
>>> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
>>> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>>> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>>> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>>> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
>>> This is not the issue.
>>> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
>>> dialling home annoyance.
>> Perhaps a live title?
>> See
>> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+makes+unrequested+connect...>.
>
> I have read and researched this option but find no credibility.

Are you sure it's not the "latest headlines" live bookmark being
pre-fetched? If you click on that item in the Library window, feed items
/are/ listed.

> I truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.

Please stop suggesting that. Your assumption is incorrect.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On Sep 14, 7:34=A0pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> On 9/14/08 1:48 AM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
>

> > On Sep 14, 5:22 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> >> On 9/13/08 11:45 PM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:

> >> Perhaps a live title?
> >> See
> >> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+makes+unrequested+connect=
....>.

> > I have read and researched this option but find no credibility.
>
> Are you sure it's not the "latest headlines" live bookmark being
> pre-fetched? If you click on that item in the Library window, feed items
> /are/ listed.
>
> > I truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.
>
> Please stop suggesting that. Your assumption is incorrect.
>
> --
> Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Chris. If the only IP access is to 63.245.209.10:http which belongs to
'Mozilla Corporation' then what else am/are I/we to assume? This is
not to become a discussion ... this is to resolve an intensely
unnerving process which seems to be resident in Firefox3.0.1 ... they
are dialling home!!!
0
johnnyb
9/14/2008 7:40:42 AM
On 9/14/08 3:40 AM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
> On Sep 14, 7:34 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
>> On 9/14/08 1:48 AM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
>>
>>> I have read and researched this option but find no credibility.
>> Are you sure it's not the "latest headlines" live bookmark being
>> pre-fetched? If you click on that item in the Library window, feed items
>> /are/ listed.
>>
>>> I truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.
>> Please stop suggesting that. Your assumption is incorrect.
>
> Chris. If the only IP access is to 63.245.209.10:http which belongs to
> 'Mozilla Corporation' then what else am/are I/we to assume?

That the "latest headlines" feed goes through Mozilla. Select it in the
Library window, and you'll find that the location is
<http://en-us.fxfeeds.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/headlines.xml>
All links shipped in Firefox go through Mozilla; so if the destination
URL ever goes down or needs changing, we don't end up with 180 million
users with broken links. :-)

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On Sep 14, 7:53=A0pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> On 9/14/08 3:40 AM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
>
> > On Sep 14, 7:34 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> >> On 9/14/08 1:48 AM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:

> >> Are you sure it's not the "latest headlines" live bookmark being
> >> pre-fetched? If you click on that item in the Library window, feed ite=
ms
> >> /are/ listed.

> >> Please stop suggesting that. Your assumption is incorrect.
>
> > Chris. If the only IP access is to 63.245.209.10:http which belongs to
> > 'Mozilla Corporation' then what else am/are I/we to assume?
>
> That the "latest headlines" feed goes through Mozilla. Select it in the
> Library window, and you'll find that the location is
> <http://en-us.fxfeeds.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/headlines.xml>
> All links shipped in Firefox go through Mozilla; so if the destination
> URL ever goes down or needs changing, we don't end up with 180 million
> users with broken links. :-)
>
> --
> Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

headline feeds ... even if they are active ... have nothing to do with
clicking/selecting bookmarks ... and FF2 also had this option of
headline feeds but does not dial home. I don't want an arguement ... i
want a resolution. Can someone stand up to the plate?
0
johnnyb
9/14/2008 8:06:23 AM
johnnyb wrote:
> On Sep 14, 7:53 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:

>>> Chris. If the only IP access is to 63.245.209.10:http which belongs to
>>> 'Mozilla Corporation' then what else am/are I/we to assume?
>> That the "latest headlines" feed goes through Mozilla. Select it in the
>> Library window, and you'll find that the location is
>> <http://en-us.fxfeeds.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/headlines.xml>
>> All links shipped in Firefox go through Mozilla; so if the destination
>> URL ever goes down or needs changing, we don't end up with 180 million
>> users with broken links. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
>
> headline feeds ... even if they are active ... have nothing to do with
> clicking/selecting bookmarks ... and FF2 also had this option of
> headline feeds but does not dial home. I don't want an arguement ... i
> want a resolution. Can someone stand up to the plate?

Yes, there appears to be a fault in your instrumentation.
0
Paul
9/14/2008 8:31:08 AM
On Sep 14, 8:31=A0pm, Paul <n...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> johnnyb wrote:
> > On Sep 14, 7:53 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
> >> On 9/14/08 3:40 AM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:

> >> That the "latest headlines" feed goes through Mozilla. Select it in th=
> >> Library window, and you'll find that the location is
> >> <http://en-us.fxfeeds.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/headlines.xml>
> >> All links shipped in Firefox go through Mozilla; so if the destination
> >> URL ever goes down or needs changing, we don't end up with 180 million
> >> users with broken links. :-)
>
> >> --
> >> Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
>
> > headline feeds ... even if they are active ... have nothing to do with
> > clicking/selecting bookmarks ... and FF2 also had this option of
> > headline feeds but does not dial home. I don't want an arguement ... i
> > want a resolution. Can someone stand up to the plate?
>
> Yes, there appears to be a fault in your instrumentation.

FF3 (specifically FF3.0.1 as I have loaded on my WinXP SP2 machine)
*is* dialling home.

Thanks all for your contributions.

I'll take it from here.
0
johnnyb
9/14/2008 8:40:05 AM
In article <2505251f-61f6-44a3-a134-068694a6a4c8
@b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, johnnyb wrote...
> On Sep 14, 3:45�pm, johnnyb <john.bubl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
> > ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
> > the internet which was not happening in FF2.
> >
> > Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
> >
> > I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
> >
> > No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
> > This is not the issue.
> >
> > Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
> > dialling home annoyance.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Forgot to add that the options for "check for suspected attack",
> "allow to install addons", and "suspected forgeries" are all disabled.
>
> Also discovered the IP address is always 63.245.209.10:http which
> belongs to 'Mozilla Corporation'.

Even for bookmarks to other sites than Mozilla?

If I use Wireshark to capture network traffic, I notice that Firefox,
when selecting a bookmark in the Library, fetches the bookmarked page
using an extra HTTP header "X-Moz: microsummary". I don't know why it
is doing that, but it is definitely not phoning home to Mozilla here.

I can stop this traffic by toggling the "browser.microsummary.enabled"
pref to false.

--
Hasse
0
> On 9/14/08 1:48 AM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
>
>> On Sep 14, 5:22 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/13/08 11:45 PM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:

<<snipped>>

>> I truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.
>>

> Please stop suggesting that. Your assumption is incorrect.

the OP has neither SUGGESTED nor ASSUMED anything.

As much as you feel obliged to defend any intrusive action taken by
Mozilla, the OP is absolutely within his rights to state WHAT HE THINKS.
Even a Chris Illias is not authorized to prevent free thoughts being
stated here! - Much as he craves to have those powers!

reg
0
squaredancer
9/14/2008 9:56:18 AM
"Hasse" <hasse@jasajudeju.se> wrote in message news:MPG.2336f86dbba18db39896c3@news.mozilla.org...
> In article <2505251f-61f6-44a3-a134-068694a6a4c8
> @b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, johnnyb wrote...
>> On Sep 14, 3:45 pm, johnnyb <john.bubl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
>> > ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
>> > the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>> >
>> > Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>> >
>> > I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>> >
>> > No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
>> > This is not the issue.
>> >
>> > Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
>> > dialling home annoyance.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>>
>> Forgot to add that the options for "check for suspected attack",
>> "allow to install addons", and "suspected forgeries" are all disabled.
>>
>> Also discovered the IP address is always 63.245.209.10:http which
>> belongs to 'Mozilla Corporation'.
>
> Even for bookmarks to other sites than Mozilla?
>
> If I use Wireshark to capture network traffic, I notice that Firefox,
> when selecting a bookmark in the Library, fetches the bookmarked page
> using an extra HTTP header "X-Moz: microsummary". I don't know why it
> is doing that, but it is definitely not phoning home to Mozilla here.
>
> I can stop this traffic by toggling the "browser.microsummary.enabled"
> pref to false.

Microsummaries - MozillaWiki
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Microsummaries
      see extensions to manage

Browser.microsummary.enabled - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.microsummary.enabled

0
David
9/14/2008 10:38:13 AM
In article <-tudne71nv3ed1HVnZ2dnUVZ_gKdnZ2d@mozilla.org>, David
McRitchie wrote...
> "Hasse" <hasse@jasajudeju.se> wrote in message news:MPG.2336f86dbba18db39896c3@news.mozilla.org...
> > In article <2505251f-61f6-44a3-a134-068694a6a4c8
> > @b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, johnnyb wrote...

> >> Forgot to add that the options for "check for suspected attack",
> >> "allow to install addons", and "suspected forgeries" are all disabled.
> >>
> >> Also discovered the IP address is always 63.245.209.10:http which
> >> belongs to 'Mozilla Corporation'.
> >
> > Even for bookmarks to other sites than Mozilla?
> >
> > If I use Wireshark to capture network traffic, I notice that Firefox,
> > when selecting a bookmark in the Library, fetches the bookmarked page
> > using an extra HTTP header "X-Moz: microsummary". I don't know why it
> > is doing that, but it is definitely not phoning home to Mozilla here.
> >
> > I can stop this traffic by toggling the "browser.microsummary.enabled"
> > pref to false.
>
> Microsummaries - MozillaWiki
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Microsummaries
>       see extensions to manage
>
> Browser.microsummary.enabled - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.microsummary.enabled

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that those pages explain
why Firefox tries to fetch a microsummary for every bookmark selected
in the Library. This also happens in a new profile with no
microsummaries or microsummary generators installed.

--
Hasse
0
"Hasse" <hasse@jasajudeju.se> wrote in message news:MPG.23370df478f9d9b89896c4@news.mozilla.org...
> In article <-tudne71nv3ed1HVnZ2dnUVZ_gKdnZ2d@mozilla.org>, David
> McRitchie wrote...
>> "Hasse" <hasse@jasajudeju.se> wrote in message news:MPG.2336f86dbba18db39896c3@news.mozilla.org...
>> > In article <2505251f-61f6-44a3-a134-068694a6a4c8
>> > @b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, johnnyb wrote...

>> > Even for bookmarks to other sites than Mozilla?
>> >
>> > If I use Wireshark to capture network traffic, I notice that Firefox,
>> > when selecting a bookmark in the Library, fetches the bookmarked page
>> > using an extra HTTP header "X-Moz: microsummary". I don't know why it
>> > is doing that, but it is definitely not phoning home to Mozilla here.
>> >
>> > I can stop this traffic by toggling the "browser.microsummary.enabled"
>> > pref to false.
>>
>> Microsummaries - MozillaWiki
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Microsummaries
>>       see extensions to manage
>>
>> Browser.microsummary.enabled - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.microsummary.enabled
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that those pages explain
> why Firefox tries to fetch a microsummary for every bookmark selected
> in the Library. This also happens in a new profile with no
> microsummaries or microsummary generators installed.

From the wiki link:
Then, when the microsummary changes, the bookmark title will update to reflect those
changes, so you can get the latest updates about the information on the page just by
looking at the bookmark.
0
David
9/14/2008 11:45:47 AM
In article <p4ydnaPtvdkiZFHVnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@mozilla.org>, David
McRitchie wrote...
> "Hasse" <hasse@jasajudeju.se> wrote in message news:MPG.23370df478f9d9b89896c4@news.mozilla.org...
> > In article <-tudne71nv3ed1HVnZ2dnUVZ_gKdnZ2d@mozilla.org>, David
> > McRitchie wrote...

> >> Microsummaries - MozillaWiki
> >> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Microsummaries
> >>       see extensions to manage
> >>
> >> Browser.microsummary.enabled - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
> >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.microsummary.enabled
> >
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that those pages explain
> > why Firefox tries to fetch a microsummary for every bookmark selected
> > in the Library. This also happens in a new profile with no
> > microsummaries or microsummary generators installed.
>
> From the wiki link:
> Then, when the microsummary changes, the bookmark title will update to reflect those
> changes, so you can get the latest updates about the information on the page just by
> looking at the bookmark.

You failed to include the prerequisite in the preceding sentence:
"As a user, when you bookmark a web page which provides a microsummary,
you can choose to display the microsummary instead of the static page
title as the "live title" for the bookmark."

I have not done that, so I don't think that is the feature I'm seeing.

--
Hasse
0
On 13.09.2008 23:39, johnnyb wrote:

>> > When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
>> > ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
>> > the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>>
>> > Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>>
>> > I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>>
>> > No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
>> > This is not the issue.
>>
>> > Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
>> > dialling home annoyance.
>>
>> > Cheers
>>
>> How do you know that its accessing the internet?
>>
>> --
>> Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Championwww.ufaq.org
>> Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
>
> I have both the "Network Status" and "zone alarm" taskbar icons
> showing in the taskbar and they both "light up".

Interesting, I have an outgoing and incomimg packet sniffer and there is
no activity either direction.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
0
Jay
9/14/2008 12:54:18 PM
On 14.09.2008 00:22, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 9/13/08 11:45 PM, _johnnyb_ spoke thusly:
>> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
>> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
>> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>>
>> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>>
>> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
>> This is not the issue.
>>
>> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
>> dialling home annoyance.
>
> Perhaps a live title?
> See
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+makes+unrequested+connections>.

Right, same thing I was just thinking, a Live Bookmark which is
understandable. I don't have ANY Live Bookmarks is why I don't see any
outgoing or incoming packets with this issue.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
0
Jay
9/14/2008 12:57:10 PM
On 14.09.2008 02:40, johnnyb wrote:

> Chris. If the only IP access is to 63.245.209.10:http which belongs to
> 'Mozilla Corporation' then what else am/are I/we to assume? This is
> not to become a discussion ... this is to resolve an intensely
> unnerving process which seems to be resident in Firefox3.0.1 ... they
> are dialling home!!!

You need to READ these discussions with an intense learning curve to
understand WHY FF is "dialing home" and the implications as to the
reason. Yes, FF "is" dialing home but your security is NOT being
compromised, no personal information is being transmitted and so on. The
article that Chris posted tells you why FF is dialing home and goes on
to say how to eliminate this feature/function, etc.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
0
Jay
9/14/2008 1:05:04 PM
On 14.09.2008 03:06, johnnyb wrote:

>> > Chris. If the only IP access is to 63.245.209.10:http which belongs to
>> > 'Mozilla Corporation' then what else am/are I/we to assume?
>>
>> That the "latest headlines" feed goes through Mozilla. Select it in the
>> Library window, and you'll find that the location is
>> <http://en-us.fxfeeds.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/headlines.xml>
>> All links shipped in Firefox go through Mozilla; so if the destination
>> URL ever goes down or needs changing, we don't end up with 180 million
>> users with broken links. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
>
> headline feeds ... even if they are active ... have nothing to do with
> clicking/selecting bookmarks ... and FF2 also had this option of
> headline feeds but does not dial home. I don't want an arguement ... i
> want a resolution. Can someone stand up to the plate?

Every version of FF to date has had this feature whereby Live Bookmark
feeds are updated on a regular basis.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
0
Jay
9/14/2008 1:06:13 PM
On 14.09.2008 03:40, johnnyb wrote:

>> Yes, there appears to be a fault in your instrumentation.
>
> FF3 (specifically FF3.0.1 as I have loaded on my WinXP SP2 machine)
> *is* dialling home.

Yes, it is, and you've been told why and that it is a benign function.

> Thanks all for your contributions.
>
> I'll take it from here.

Good, so stop making all the wrong assumptions that it is a bad and
clandestine function .. which it is not.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
0
Jay
9/14/2008 1:08:20 PM
On 14.09.2008 04:56, squaredancer wrote:

> On 14.09.2008 09:34, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Chris Ilias to
> generate the following:? :

> <<snipped>>
>>
>>> I truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.
>>>

>> Please stop suggesting that. Your assumption is incorrect.
>>

> the OP has neither SUGGESTED nor ASSUMED anything.

He most certainly has, read the entire thread now.

> As much as you feel obliged to defend any intrusive action taken by
> Mozilla, the OP is absolutely within his rights to state WHAT HE THINKS.
> Even a Chris Illias is not authorized to prevent free thoughts being
> stated here! - Much as he craves to have those powers!
>
> reg

Sorry to disappoint but I'm siding with Chris on this one. The OP could
well have posted with the nickname of "Chicken Little". :-)

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
0
Jay
9/14/2008 1:10:57 PM
On 14.09.2008 15:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
generate the following:? :
> On 14.09.2008 04:56, squaredancer wrote:

QUOTE the OP:
I truly think Mozilla .....
UNQUOTE

reg

>> As much as you feel obliged to defend any intrusive action taken by
>> Mozilla, the OP is absolutely within his rights to state WHAT HE THINKS.
>> Even a Chris Illias is not authorized to prevent free thoughts being
>> stated here! - Much as he craves to have those powers!
>>
>> reg
>>

> Sorry to disappoint but I'm siding with Chris on this one. The OP could
> well have posted with the nickname of "Chicken Little". :-)

0
squaredancer
9/14/2008 3:22:00 PM
Date: 9/14/2008 3:40 AM, Author: johnnyb  Wrote:
> On Sep 14, 7:34 pm, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:

>>> I have read and researched this option but find no credibility.
>> Are you sure it's not the "latest headlines" live bookmark being
>> pre-fetched? If you click on that item in the Library window, feed items
>> /are/ listed.
>>
>>> I truly think Mozilla are tracking our movements.
>> Please stop suggesting that. Your assumption is incorrect.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
>
> Chris. If the only IP access is to 63.245.209.10:http which belongs to
> 'Mozilla Corporation' then what else am/are I/we to assume? This is
> not to become a discussion ... this is to resolve an intensely
> unnerving process which seems to be resident in Firefox3.0.1 ... they
> are dialling home!!!

I entered the IP address you gave into Firefox 2 and it went to
"http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/".  A little more information about what page is
being requested from that IP would be helpful.  It may be, though, that the
additional information isn't available through your logs.

Go to [Tools]>[Options]>[Advanced], "Update" tab, make sure _all_ check for
updates boxes are un-checked.

Also enter about:config in URL bar, in "Filter" field enter "prefetch", if
"network.prefetch-next" is set to true, double-click to toggle to false.

It could also be an extension which is bypassing Firefox's preferences to check
for something.  To check that, start Firefox in -safe-mode.  This will disable
extensions and themes for the session to eliminate them as the source of the
problem.

User "Hasse" stated the problem also occurred with a new profile.  This should
give similar results as -safe-mode but, you would need to repeat the settings I
mentioned earlier as well as the attack and phishing setting you have already set.

Please don't assume nefarious intent.  At the _worst_ I would only suspect
Mozilla might gather innocuous usage data.  The data would only show, for
instance, that X number of Firefox users are online, or are used X number of
hours per day.  Understand; *I* *do* *not* *believe* that even this is
happening.  Only to point out that usage data information is not unusual or
dangerous, it's used by such simple programs as Winamp to improve future versions.

--
G. R. Woodring
johnnyb wrote:
> When I am scrolling down the right-panel of entries in my bookmarks
> ("Organize Bookmarks..." menu option) I see there is traffic-access to
> the internet which was not happening in FF2.
>
> Anybody else seen this and know of the reason why?
>
> I'm just simply clicking, or using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.
>
> No answers about spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc ... please.
> This is not the issue.
>
> Is there an option in about:config that allows me to stop this
> dialling home annoyance.
>
> Cheers
When I open the bookmark manager and click on a bookmark, firefox tries
to connect to that site - I don't know why. I know it tries to because I
get these windows saying whatever.com is trying to set a cookie. I have
firefox set to prompt me when a site tries to set a cookie.
0
JM
9/14/2008 4:04:09 PM