Firefox with broken QFlags...

FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners properly. For
example, at CNN.com, the head banner and several major windows driven by QT
would not load except displaying a broken QFlag. Yet in
TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS/EDIT ACTIONS the browser shows QT plug ins galore.

Anyone know if there is initiation or java (.ini or .js) file that needs to be
modified & if so, can anyone help out on how, what, & where?

Thank you.
0
USA
1/12/2006 1:26:59 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

USA wrote:
> FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners
> properly. For example, at CNN.com, the head banner and several major
> windows driven by QT would not load except displaying a broken QFlag.
> Yet in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS/EDIT ACTIONS the browser shows QT plug
> ins galore.
>
> Anyone know if there is initiation or java (.ini or .js) file that needs
> to be modified & if so, can anyone help out on how, what, & where?
>
> Thank you.

http://www.cnn.com/

I don't see any QT files, only animated gifs.

I'll take a guess though.  One of the things QT does is to grab the file
association for swf files, which, properly, should be handled through
the Flash plugin.

Control Panel>>Quick Time.

Make sure QT is not grabbing the swf association.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

Any suggestion on what extension should I disable? I have not tried disabling
all yet but that is an experiment.

Thank you.

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> USA wrote:
>
>> FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners
>> properly. For example, at CNN.com, the head banner and several major
>> windows driven by QT would not load except displaying a broken QFlag.
>> Yet in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS/EDIT ACTIONS the browser shows QT plug
>> ins galore.
>>
>> Anyone know if there is initiation or java (.ini or .js) file that
>> needs to be modified & if so, can anyone help out on how, what, & where?
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> http://www.cnn.com/
>
> I don't see any QT files, only animated gifs.
>
> I'll take a guess though.  One of the things QT does is to grab the file
> association for swf files, which, properly, should be handled through
> the Flash plugin.
>
> Control Panel>>Quick Time.
>
> Make sure QT is not grabbing the swf association.
>
> Lee

0
USA
1/12/2006 3:46:29 AM
USA wrote:
> It worked, 98%. Most of what did not load on CNN loaded after I
> disassociated swf. Good call. However, that one panel in middle right
> hand column under MORE NEWS titled WATCH VIDEO is still incorrectly
> associated.
>
> Any suggestion on what extension should I disable? I have not tried
> disabling all yet but that is an experiment.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> USA wrote:

/snip/

Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here.  This is the group
preference.  See the Posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for more
information.  Thank you for your consideration.

I am so glad that worked for you, I thought it would.

The video requires Windows Media Player.  Do you have it installed and
set up as a Firefox Plugin?

Lee
--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/12/2006 3:55:40 AM
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> USA wrote:
>
>> It worked, 98%. Most of what did not load on CNN loaded after I
>> disassociated swf. Good call. However, that one panel in middle right
>> hand column under MORE NEWS titled WATCH VIDEO is still incorrectly
>> associated.
>>
>> Any suggestion on what extension should I disable? I have not tried
>> disabling all yet but that is an experiment.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>
>>> USA wrote:
>

> /snip/
>
> Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
> reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here.  This is the group
> preference.  See the Posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for more
> information.  Thank you for your consideration.
>

> I am so glad that worked for you, I thought it would.
>
> The video requires Windows Media Player.  Do you have it installed and
> set up as a Firefox Plugin?
>
> Lee

Sorry. Apologize.

I looked at the plugins, can anyone advise on which extension to associate to
Win Media & which to not? Also, right clicking on that WATCH VIDEO panel got a
Flash dialog box. So should this be a Shockwave extension of sort?

Thank you.
0
USA
1/12/2006 4:40:27 AM
USA wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> USA wrote:
>>
>>> It worked, 98%. Most of what did not load on CNN loaded after I
>>> disassociated swf. Good call. However, that one panel in middle right
>>> hand column under MORE NEWS titled WATCH VIDEO is still incorrectly
>>> associated.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion on what extension should I disable? I have not tried
>>> disabling all yet but that is an experiment.
>>>
>>> Thank you.

>> /snip/
>>
>> Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post
>> your reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here.  This is the
>> group preference.  See the Posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for
>> more information.  Thank you for your consideration.
>>

>> I am so glad that worked for you, I thought it would.
>>
>> The video requires Windows Media Player.  Do you have it installed and
>> set up as a Firefox Plugin?
>>
>> Lee
>

> Sorry. Apologize.
>
> I looked at the plugins, can anyone advise on which extension to
> associate to Win Media & which to not? Also, right clicking on that
> WATCH VIDEO panel got a Flash dialog box. So should this be a Shockwave
> extension of sort?
>
> Thank you.

Extensions and plugins are not the same thing. l)

Type about:plugins in the location bar, and see what it says about
windows media player.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/12/2006 4:54:53 AM
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> USA wrote:

>>> /snip/
>>>
>>> Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post
>>> your reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here.  This is
>>> the group preference.  See the Posting Etiquette, as linked in my
>>> sig, for more information.  Thank you for your consideration.
>>>

>>> I am so glad that worked for you, I thought it would.
>>>
>>> The video requires Windows Media Player.  Do you have it installed
>>> and set up as a Firefox Plugin?
>>>
>>> Lee
>>

>> Sorry. Apologize.
>>
>> I looked at the plugins, can anyone advise on which extension to
>> associate to Win Media & which to not? Also, right clicking on that
>> WATCH VIDEO panel got a Flash dialog box. So should this be a
>> Shockwave extension of sort?
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> Extensions and plugins are not the same thing. l)
>
> Type about:plugins in the location bar, and see what it says about
> windows media player.
>
> Lee

I understand. I was referring to the "file" extensions in the Download Actions
dialog box as in dot swf. Sorry I should have been clear.

I fixed it. I just uninstalled QT7. Everything works now & that CNN page loads
fully as it does like my other browsers. The Download Actions box is now only
half a page as compared with 3 pages before. I am considering adding back QT but
an earlier version instead. Not sure yet, just going to cruise in FF for a while.

Thank you very much.
0
USA
1/13/2006 4:11:23 AM
USA wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> USA wrote:

/snip/

> I fixed it. I just uninstalled QT7. Everything works now & that CNN page
> loads fully as it does like my other browsers. The Download Actions box
> is now only half a page as compared with 3 pages before. I am
> considering adding back QT but an earlier version instead. Not sure yet,
> just going to cruise in FF for a while.
>
> Thank you very much.

I am very glad to hear its working for you!

Lee
--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/13/2006 4:20:53 AM
USA wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>>USA wrote:

>>>Sorry. Apologize.
>>>
>>>I looked at the plugins, can anyone advise on which extension to
>>>associate to Win Media & which to not? Also, right clicking on that
>>>WATCH VIDEO panel got a Flash dialog box. So should this be a
>>>Shockwave extension of sort?
>>>
>>>Thank you.
>>

>>Extensions and plugins are not the same thing. l)
>>
>>Type about:plugins in the location bar, and see what it says about
>>windows media player.
>>
>>Lee
>>

> I understand. I was referring to the "file" extensions in the Download Actions
> dialog box as in dot swf. Sorry I should have been clear.
>
> I fixed it. I just uninstalled QT7. Everything works now & that CNN page loads
> fully as it does like my other browsers. The Download Actions box is now only
> half a page as compared with 3 pages before. I am considering adding back QT but
> an earlier version instead. Not sure yet, just going to cruise in FF for a while.
>
> Thank you very much.
you might want to look into Alternative QuickTime:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
0
gwtc
1/13/2006 7:31:18 AM
gwtc wrote:
> USA wrote:

>>> Extensions and plugins are not the same thing. l)
>>>
>>> Type about:plugins in the location bar, and see what it says about
>>> windows media player.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>

>> I understand. I was referring to the "file" extensions in the Download
>> Actions dialog box as in dot swf. Sorry I should have been clear.
>>
>> I fixed it. I just uninstalled QT7. Everything works now & that CNN
>> page loads fully as it does like my other browsers. The Download
>> Actions box is now only half a page as compared with 3 pages before. I
>> am considering adding back QT but an earlier version instead. Not sure
>> yet, just going to cruise in FF for a while.
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>
> you might want to look into Alternative QuickTime:
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

Thanks, I will explore that.
0
USA

Firefox or not Firefox

Firefox 3.0 has broken the little AppleScript support remaining in Firefox
Name: James Yost Email: mrpersonatearthlinkdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.0 has broken the little AppleScript support remaining in Firefox Comments: In previous versions of Firefox there was slight AppleScript support. Version 3 has broken what remained (i.e. properties of window n). The Macintosh community would welcome more AppleScript support - At least a "do javascript" command from AppleScript would help a great deal. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14 From URL: http...

Firefox, meet the Firefox
Name: brooks Email: brooksonleyatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, meet the Firefox Comments: I don't know if this will go anywhere, but as both a die-hard Firefox user and an advocate for wildlife, I think it should be said.... As you may or may not know, "firefox" is the literal translation of the Chinese name for the Red Panda. Yes, the OTHER panda -- the cute, orange, raccoon-like one, not the big, black-and-white, bear-like one. Here is a link to an article at the National Wildlife Foundation [http://poprl.com/EIb], "Fighting for the Fi...

Firefox uses Firefox.

Firefox within Firefox
For a short time now (likely since upgrading to FF 1.5.02) I've noticed that when running a Firefox session, ZA will popup a notice that Firefox -- verified the same exe as the running one -- is "trying to access the internet." This is confusing because it's already accessing the internet, thanks much. However, the destination IP is always along the lines of 206.141.192.60:DNS, which translates to dns1.chcgil.sbcglobal.net, part of my ISP. So I've been saying yes. But I'm wondering why of a sudden this access is taking place, or being questioned, or what...

firefox companion for firefox
Name: william faulks Email: wf010a4342atblueyonderdotcodotuk Product: eBay Companion Summary: firefox companion for firefox Comments: great program, been looking for something like this for ages Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Firefox witrh broken QFlags?
My FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners properly. For example, when I am at CNN.com, the head banner and several major windows driven by QT would not load except displaying a broken QFlag. Yet in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS/EDIT ACTIONS I show QT plug ins galore. Anyone know if there is initiation or java (.ini or .js) file that needs to be modified & if so, can anyone help out on how, what, & where? Thank you. USA wrote: > My FF1.5 works great except it would not load QT (QuickTime) banners > properly. For example, when I am at CNN.com...

Firefox, and Firefox Portable
Name: Brian Email: silverdragona1ataol Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, and Firefox Portable Comments: Feedback. After several hefty fallouts with AOL, and the complete dogs dinner we are presented with that they claim is worthy of using, be it the AOL9 browser, I decided to try Firefox.... I am very annoyed. Why?... because stupidly, I had not tried Firefox EARLIER.... I have now replaced AOL9 completely on all the family computers with Firefox... I am also TOTALLY bewildered as to how you can get a fully functioning Firefox to run on a USB Flash Drive......... I...

Firefox add-on "slogger" no longer supported with Firefox 3.x
Hello everyone, I did some research on my own to find a replacement or a way to make it work with Firefox 3.x since I found it so convenient. Since this was not really successful I turn to the group if anyone has advice :-) slogger is an add-on that (as I configured it) keeps a monthly log of URLs that I loaded (with timestamps) and a text-only-version of the pages (named with the timestamp) so that I can do full-text-search. Whenever I didn't remember where I had been seeing some information I searched through these logs and I did find what I was looking for quite often (I wrote a BAT for it since I use it quite often). And I was able to quickly see where I've been when including the availability of removing noise via grep... Of course now that I have FF 3.0 and it doesn't work anymore I can simply start googling for what I'm searching but drilling down what I have already done before (and don't remember exactly when) is frustrating. These are the things I found so far: How-to to make slogger work with FF 3.0 (but only when triggered manually which is useless): http://firefoxjourney.blogspot.com/2008/06/enable-slogger-0620061221-with-firefox3.html Another add-ons I will try some time: WebMynd: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/6416 Breadcrumbs: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/2954 -- Armin ...

Too many things are broken in Firefox 3. I'm going back to Firefox 2.
Name: George F Email: fergusatepguidesdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Too many things are broken in Firefox 3. I'm going back to Firefox 2. Comments: Save as HTML only doesn't work. Contextual Menu for viewing or saving an image doesn't work. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Partially self-built Firefox OS (was: Re: Supported locales in Firefox OS and OEMs)
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote: > I _hope_ (as in, it fits with our principles, I think it was the case, > but I am not closely involved) that one thing we do require is for the > phones to be unlockable. So people can, at least theoretically, install > other builds of Firefox OS, including versions with different locales, > after they have purchased the phone. Of course, this would require > CyanogenMod-like engineering because the phones will have proprietary > drivers in them. Having to install a new native code...

Graphic decorations of Google Firefox landing page are broken in Firefox 3 beta 2
Name: neil Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Graphic decorations of Google Firefox landing page are broken in Firefox 3 beta 2 Comments: The graphic decorations around the search box are broken in FF3b2: this is presumably a problem with the browser, since it displays fine in all other Firefox versions. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b2) Gecko/2007121016 Firefox/3.0b2 ...

Broken Navigation bar in firefox 2.x and Firefox 3 Release Candidate 2
Name: B Deason Email: rnixon98atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Broken Navigation bar in firefox 2.x and Firefox 3 Release Candidate 2 Comments: I do not have the "forward" and "back" buttons in firefox after using system restore. I uninstalled and reinstalled RC 2 but it doesn't help. This isn't really a problem I can see directly related to the RC. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

UTF-8 support broken since Firefox 2
Name: AndiDog Product: Firefox Summary: UTF-8 support broken since Firefox 2 Comments: Characters like � � � � are displayed as ? in Firefox 2.0, whereas it worked in 1.5.0.7 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 ...

Cut/copy/mousewheel broken. Workaround:rename firefox.exe. Suggests unknown spyware targetting firefox.
Automatically updated to firefox 1.5.0.2 on my machine at home. System is windows XP SP2. Problems started around then though not sure if this was the trigger. My problem was cut/copy not working at all, scroll wheel on mouse not working at all. Tried reboots, uninstalling, removing profiles and reinstalling version 1.5.0.1, 1.5.0.2, 1.8, 1.0.5, and 1.0. Tried the new.net removals. Tried changing user.js. None of that worked. The above steps did work. Found a fix that seems to work reliably. At least one other person who had this problem also found this worked. 1) Close all inst...

I am unhappy with Firefox.. :| Did not expected that from Firefox.
Name: pavel lazarov Email: paveldotlazarovatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I am unhappy with Firefox.. :| Did not expected that from Firefox. Comments: I am using firefox for really long time now. After updating to the latest version 2.0.0.4 I have lost my visited pages... and I use that really often as I do not remember the whole domain names. Why an update would delete the visited pages ? Pavel Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 ...

Firefox & Firefox 3
Name: Steve Sadler Email: grstevesadlerathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox & Firefox 3 Comments: Hi I downloaded Firefox 3 both because I prefer your browser & because I thought it might fix a problem I have had for some time... I can't access my Gmail account. The sign up process to access my account always ends with a blank screen. I have been forced to revert to explorer to get my mail. Any thoughts? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox saved me again! I love FIREFOX!
Name: richard gauldin Email: richarddotgauldinatsuddenlinkdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox saved me again! I love FIREFOX! Comments: I never thought a browser could actually save me time, and headaches, but, thats exactly what Firefox did! As a Cable Technician, I frequently come across customers who aren't very computer savvy. One particular customer was blaming her poor internet connection and frequent crashes on our cable modem. Turns out her Internet Explorer browser was loaded to maximum capacity with spyware and even after she ran several spyware cleanin...

FireFox up to FireFox 3.0
Name: Steve Email: woipatonlinedotde Product: Firefox Summary: FireFox up to FireFox 3.0 Comments: with intervals the Firefox Browser displays a false page reproduction. The interval can be short or longer. These effects have I got in all FF versions. What is the reason of this Browser behavior? Is it a sytem fault? Or is the reason elsewhere to find? sincerely yours, Steve Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox installation over existing firefox
Name: David May Email: daviddotmayataffiliatewindowdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox installation over existing firefox Comments: I noticed that when you have an existing version of Firefox on a PC and you install your new Firefox 3.0.1 over it the browser opens and it informs the user that they have updated Firefox but informs the user that they seem to be running a different version rather than the version 3. The address bar reads: http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0.1/whatsnew/ but as mentioned the screen says different, in this case i have: &qu...

Upgrade to Firefox (Firefox 3)
Name: Bill Dunlop Email: billdunlopatpostmasterdotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Upgrade to Firefox (Firefox 3) Comments: Taking up your offer to 'upgrade' to Firefox 3 is possibly one of my poorer decisions- my principal issue is with the browser which not only added two (or was it three?) bookmarks not loaded into my browser bar, but deleted several. I use the browser for online news and professional purposes, with the FT, Independent, Guardian, Herald, Scotsman and Aljezeera, in my browser along with University of Edinburgh home page, postmaster.co.uk (email provider of choice, especially after Yahoo's betrayal of Chinese dissidents), abebooks.co.uk and a couple of others. All of these I use regulalry, and it's a real pain to discover Firefox 3 can't hold all of these at one time. This is not an upgrade, it's a down-grade presumably based on a Joe Public lacking interest beyond a sheltered life of mundane trivia. I suspect it may be time to find a web provider which can provide a real service rather than limit choice and diversity Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox add on crashing firefox
Name: joshua lafrance Email: joshdotlafranceatgmaildotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: Firefox add on crashing firefox Comments: The add on / plug in is freezing up firefox when an alert box pops up. It does this with the new firefox version 3.0.3. This is happening to me on 2 different computers. It requires opening the task manager to close out firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://en-gb.www.mozilla.com/en-GB/add-ons/ebay/feedback/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no exp...

Incompatibilité Firefox / Firefox
Name: Pierre Muzas Email: pierredotmuzasatcallwaysdotfr Product: eBay Companion Summary: Incompatibilité Firefox / Firefox Comments: Impossible d'installer Firefox Companion for eBay 1.6.6, car il/elle n'est pas compatible avec Firefox 3.6. Alors on fait comment ? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; fr; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://fr.www.mozilla.com/fr/add-ons/ebay/feedback/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Web resources about - Firefox with broken QFlags... - mozilla.support.firefox

Firefox Affiliates

Firefox OS
The latest news about Firefox OS

Techarger Firefox