Firefox versions #2

Moving on...

A new question I'm being asked by the seniors.

Considering very few of any Addons they used in past versions will now
work in Quantum, how in a Quantum install can the Font type and display
size be changed in the Bookmarks and History displays?

I'm told to emphasise... Specifically the Bookmarks and History display
panels. :-)

Some of the folks are not as well sighted as they used to be.  ;-)

Thanks
Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0

On 05/11/2018 02:46 AM, Dave Symes wrote:
> Moving on...
>
> A new question I'm being asked by the seniors.
>
> Considering very few of any Addons they used in past versions will now
> work in Quantum, how in a Quantum install can the Font type and display
> size be changed in the Bookmarks and History displays?
>
> I'm told to emphasise... Specifically the Bookmarks and History display
> panels. :-)
>
> Some of the folks are not as well sighted as they used to be.  ;-)
>
> Thanks
> Dave

userChrome.css in the Chrome folder in your profile.
A bit lengthy for here but google for Firefox 57 userchrome.css tweaks
This is an extract from stuff I've picked out of it.   It's hard to do
if you don't understand css and I do (somewhat) so I was able to pick
lines from the 100's I found and get just the few I wanted.

/* Firefox 57+ userChrome.css tweaks *********************************/
/* code mostly taken from 'Classic Theme Restorer' & 'Classic Toolbar
Buttons' add-ons **/
/* by Aris (aris-addons@gmx.net)************************************/
/* Github: https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx *****************/
0
Big
5/11/2018 9:27:43 AM
In article <mailman.134.1526039144.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   Big Al <BigAl@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2018 02:46 AM, Dave Symes wrote:
> > Moving on...
> >
> > A new question I'm being asked by the seniors.
> >
> > Considering very few of any Addons they used in past versions will now
> > work in Quantum, how in a Quantum install can the Font type and display
> > size be changed in the Bookmarks and History displays?
> >
> > I'm told to emphasise... Specifically the Bookmarks and History display
> > panels. :-)
> >
> > Some of the folks are not as well sighted as they used to be.  ;-)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dave
> >
> userChrome.css in the Chrome folder in your profile.
> A bit lengthy for here but google for Firefox 57 userchrome.css tweaks
> This is an extract from stuff I've picked out of it.   It's hard to do
> if you don't understand css and I do (somewhat) so I was able to pick
> lines from the 100's I found and get just the few I wanted.

[Snip]

Thanks for the thought but my postage stamp amount of knowledge about
userChrome.css is such that I can put an already prepared piece of .css
into it and re-save userChrome.css again, but that's it.  ;-)

I have looked at the place you note, but I wouldn't know if the thing I'm
looking for came out an bit me in the eye, just what it was.

Dave

Dave
5/11/2018 3:00:51 PM
Dave Symes wrote:
> Moving on...
>
> A new question I'm being asked by the seniors.
>
> Considering very few of any Addons they used in past versions will now
> work in Quantum, how in a Quantum install can the Font type and display
> size be changed in the Bookmarks and History displays?
>
> I'm told to emphasise... Specifically the Bookmarks and History display
> panels. :-)
>
> Some of the folks are not as well sighted as they used to be.  ;-)
>
> Thanks
> Dave

Can you still use a userChrome.css file?  If so, you can use that to
change the size and type of font usec in the interface.

0
EE
5/11/2018 5:48:44 PM
In article <mailman.141.1526060956.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   EE <nunya@bees.wax> wrote:
> Dave Symes wrote:
> > Moving on...
> >
> > A new question I'm being asked by the seniors.
> >
> > Considering very few of any Addons they used in past versions will now
> > work in Quantum, how in a Quantum install can the Font type and display
> > size be changed in the Bookmarks and History displays?
> >
> > I'm told to emphasise... Specifically the Bookmarks and History display
> > panels. :-)
> >
> > Some of the folks are not as well sighted as they used to be.  ;-)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dave
> >
> Can you still use a userChrome.css file?  If so, you can use that to
> change the size and type of font usec in the interface.

I would imagine yes, as I have a couple of css bits in my Quantum
UserChrome file I cribbed from somewhere, but as to creating something
from scratch, no idea. My expertise/strengths are in other areas.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
On 05/11/2018 02:11 PM, Dave Symes wrote:
> In article <mailman.141.1526060956.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>     EE <nunya@bees.wax> wrote:
>> Dave Symes wrote:
>>> Moving on...
>>>
>>> A new question I'm being asked by the seniors.
>>>
>>> Considering very few of any Addons they used in past versions will now
>>> work in Quantum, how in a Quantum install can the Font type and display
>>> size be changed in the Bookmarks and History displays?
>>>
>>> I'm told to emphasise... Specifically the Bookmarks and History display
>>> panels. :-)
>>>
>>> Some of the folks are not as well sighted as they used to be.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave
>>>
>> Can you still use a userChrome.css file?  If so, you can use that to
>> change the size and type of font usec in the interface.
>
> I would imagine yes, as I have a couple of css bits in my Quantum
> UserChrome file I cribbed from somewhere, but as to creating something
> from scratch, no idea. My expertise/strengths are in other areas.
>
> Dave

Look at a few of these links.  I'm dragging this from old bookmarks.  I
grabbed anything that seemed to imply resizing.   For my css I just cut
and paste pieces from everyone elses work.   I'm not sure I can write
css either but I sure as hell can cut and paste and change 14pt to 18pt
or red to green.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1002085&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/change-url-address-bar-font-in-firefox-609459/

This is a bit of a catch all but....
https://www.howtogeek.com/334716/how-to-customize-firefoxs-user-interface-with-userchrome.css/

https://superuser.com/questions/373431/firefox-how-to-change-font-size-of-items-in-folder-on-bookmarks-toolbar

https://www.ghacks.net/2006/10/02/change-your-bookmarks-toolbar-appearance-in-firefox/

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/983259

0
Big
5/11/2018 8:46:31 PM
Dave Symes wrote:
> In article <mailman.141.1526060956.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>     EE <nunya@bees.wax> wrote:
>> Dave Symes wrote:
>>> Moving on...
>>>
>>> A new question I'm being asked by the seniors.
>>>
>>> Considering very few of any Addons they used in past versions will now
>>> work in Quantum, how in a Quantum install can the Font type and display
>>> size be changed in the Bookmarks and History displays?
>>>
>>> I'm told to emphasise... Specifically the Bookmarks and History display
>>> panels. :-)
>>>
>>> Some of the folks are not as well sighted as they used to be.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave
>>>
>> Can you still use a userChrome.css file?  If so, you can use that to
>> change the size and type of font used in the interface.
>
> I would imagine yes, as I have a couple of css bits in my Quantum
> UserChrome file I cribbed from somewhere, but as to creating something
> from scratch, no idea. My expertise/strengths are in other areas.
>
> Dave

This is what I used to change all the fonts in the interface:

/*Global UI font*/
  * {font-family: Trebuchet MS !important;
font-size: 15px !important;
}

You can change the font type and size to suit.
0
EE
5/12/2018 2:33:40 PM
In article <mailman.158.1526135651.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
   EE <nunya@bees.wax> wrote:

[Snippy]

> This is what I used to change all the fonts in the interface:

> /*Global UI font*/
>   * {font-family: Trebuchet MS !important;
> font-size: 15px !important;
> }

> You can change the font type and size to suit.

Thank you most sincerely for that snippet of script.

I got the folks around my computer and added that to my UserChrome.css
file, we tried a few different fonts and they settled on "Arial Round MT
Bold".

Someone exclaimed "(Mild expletive) I can actually see my bookmarks
clearly."

So really, thanks again.  :-)

Dave

Aha! Someone asked another...

The background color in the bookmarks and history panes are bright white,
the question was, can that colour bright white be changed to another with
more script?

The consensus was a light grey to remove the dazzle from old eyes.

Can it?

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
   Big Al <BigAl@invalid.com> wrote:

[Snippy]
> Look at a few of these links.  I'm dragging this from old bookmarks.  I
> grabbed anything that seemed to imply resizing.   For my css I just cut
> and paste pieces from everyone elses work.   I'm not sure I can write
> css either but I sure as hell can cut and paste and change 14pt to 18pt
> or red to green.

Thanks for the list of links, when I can find some time I'll have a
butchers at them and see...

Thanks
Dave

Dave
5/12/2018 9:07:51 PM
On 05/11/2018 02:11 PM, Dave Symes wrote:
> In article <mailman.141.1526060956.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
>     EE <nunya@bees.wax> wrote:
>> Dave Symes wrote:
>>> Moving on...
>>>
>>> A new question I'm being asked by the seniors.
>>>
>>> Considering very few of any Addons they used in past versions will now
>>> work in Quantum, how in a Quantum install can the Font type and display
>>> size be changed in the Bookmarks and History displays?
>>>
>>> I'm told to emphasise... Specifically the Bookmarks and History display
>>> panels. :-)
>>>
>>> Some of the folks are not as well sighted as they used to be.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave
>>>
>> Can you still use a userChrome.css file?  If so, you can use that to
>> change the size and type of font usec in the interface.
>
> I would imagine yes, as I have a couple of css bits in my Quantum
> UserChrome file I cribbed from somewhere, but as to creating something
> from scratch, no idea. My expertise/strengths are in other areas.
>
> Dave

This works but it changes all fonts in the browser not just the menu font.
* Menu font */
*  {
        font-family: "Free Serif"
              Free Serif;
        font-size: 12pt;
         font-style: Italic;
    }

--
Caver1
0
   Dave Symes <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> Aha! Someone asked another...

> The background color in the bookmarks and history panes are bright white,
> the question was, can that colour bright white be changed to another with
> more script?

> The consensus was a light grey to remove the dazzle from old eyes.

> Can it?

After much, and I mean MUCH searching I found the answer to that one and
the panes noted now have a light grey background.

#bookmarksPanel, #history-panel
  {
  background-color: #eeeeee !important;

  }

I have no idea if the syntax is totally correct... Obviously my choice of
color and it does work.

Apparently they are Elements, "bookmarkpanel, historypanel" (I don't know
I'm just parroting..)

This set me thinking, is there a list somewhere of more of these Firefox
Elements?

Thanks
Dave

--