firefox timed out error : the server connection has been timed out

hi

i have a problem when trying to connect to any websites via the name
eg. www.google.com but when connecting via the ip address i get in no
problem. i have no firewalls enabled and no virus protects. we go
through a wired up router and its only me having the problem.please
could omeone help me
thanks

0
agnooit
11/28/2006 2:12:42 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

agnooit@hotmail.co.uk

> i have a problem when trying to connect to any websites via the name
> eg. www.google.com but when connecting via the ip address i get in no
> problem. i have no firewalls enabled and no virus protects. we go
> through a wired up router and its only me having the problem.please
> could omeone help me

Your DNS is not working; check them or use another DNS server(s).
Floor

0
Floor
11/28/2006 2:40:11 PM
Floor wrote:
> agnooit@hotmail.co.uk
>
> > i have a problem when trying to connect to any websites via the name
> > eg. www.google.com but when connecting via the ip address i get in no
> > problem. i have no firewalls enabled and no virus protects. we go
> > through a wired up router and its only me having the problem.please
> > could omeone help me
>
> Your DNS is not working; check them or use another DNS server(s).
> Floor

I've got this same exact problem, and it's not the DNS-- as IE on the
same box works fine.  In fact, I had to resort to IE to post this as
groups.google.com kept timing out.  With Firefox 1.5.0.9 it constantly
times out-- can't get to gmail at all, and getting to www.google.com is
intermittent.  This is a dialup line and a pretty slow connection so it
would appear that the Firefox timeout periods are too short, while IE's
are long enough.   Am about to toss Firefox anyway, as I tried 2.0 and
it's bloated and slow-- I got firefox in the first place because it was
lean and mean-- it aint' anymore...

--

Sync

0
Sync
12/27/2006 9:44:56 PM
Sync wrote:

> I've got this same exact problem, and it's not the DNS-- as IE on the
>  same box works fine.  In fact, I had to resort to IE to post this as
>  groups.google.com kept timing out.  With Firefox 1.5.0.9 it
> constantly times out-- can't get to gmail at all, and getting to
> www.google.com is intermittent.  This is a dialup line and a pretty
> slow connection so it would appear that the Firefox timeout periods
> are too short, while IE's are long enough.   Am about to toss Firefox
> anyway, as I tried 2.0 and it's bloated and slow-- I got firefox in
> the first place because it was lean and mean-- it aint' anymore...
you may see this article :
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites#Only_Mozilla_applications_are_having_problems
0
Nir
12/27/2006 9:51:01 PM
On 2006-12-27 14:44 (-0700 UTC), Sync wrote:

<snip />

> Am about to toss Firefox anyway, as I tried 2.0 and
> it's bloated and slow-- I got firefox in the first place because it was
> lean and mean-- it aint' anymore...

I guess pertinent question would be:  'What is the difference between "lean
and mean" and "bloated and slow"?'

I have to say that the fact that both Fx and Tb are now delta patchable is
great -- obviously not for those who have had problems with such up-dates,
but certainly for someone like me, who tends to live on the bleeding edge. . . .

As for 'lean and mean', there's always Links/Lynx and Pine. . . . ;-)

/b.

--
'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

'And, yes, I AM a bit paranoid.  After 25 years online, one gets that way,
if one survives.' -- Ron Hunter
0
Brian