Firefox throttled

At the beginning of December, I started having problems with download speeds
from a number of sites. Although I have 1 Mb broadband, download speeds
were much worse than I used to get with 28.8 Kb dialup.

I tried other browsers - Konqueror, Mozilla, Epiphany, Opera - and all apart
from Mozilla had no problems. I then connected up my old Windows box and
found Firefox had no trouble on that system. My conclusion was that the
problem was Linux-related in some way.

A couple of days ago however, someone on an NTL group reported Firefox slow
connections on a Windows system. A cure was suggested and this seemed to
work. It involved going into preferences/general/connections, selecting
"manual proxy configuration", and entering one of a set of new NTL proxy
servers.

I don't understand why Firefox on my Linux system should be affected but not
Konqueror - which, as far as I know, identifies itself as a Mozilla browser
- nor Firefox on my Windows system. Come to that why is someone else having
trouble with Firefox on Windows?

I've found one site this morning which is freezing -
http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=3431&sw=1024 - but is OK on
Konqueror.

Sites which regularly caused me trouble before the fix were
http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/ (this needs free registration before
downloading satellite pictures) and
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html. A site that was usually
OK, unless their server was U/S, was
http://iup.physik.uni-bremen.de:8084/amsr/arctic_AMSRE_visual.png.

What's going on? Is there a bug out there that's affecting only Mozilla
browsers?

Graham
0
Graham
1/12/2006 12:49:55 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24202 articles. 7 followers. Post Follow

On 1/12/2006 4:49 AM Pacific, Graham P Davis wrote:
> At the beginning of December, I started having problems with download speeds
> from a number of sites. Although I have 1 Mb broadband, download speeds
> were much worse than I used to get with 28.8 Kb dialup.
>
> I tried other browsers - Konqueror, Mozilla, Epiphany, Opera - and all apart
> from Mozilla had no problems. I then connected up my old Windows box and
> found Firefox had no trouble on that system. My conclusion was that the
> problem was Linux-related in some way.
>
> A couple of days ago however, someone on an NTL group reported Firefox slow
> connections on a Windows system. A cure was suggested and this seemed to
> work. It involved going into preferences/general/connections, selecting
> "manual proxy configuration", and entering one of a set of new NTL proxy
> servers.
>
> I don't understand why Firefox on my Linux system should be affected but not
> Konqueror - which, as far as I know, identifies itself as a Mozilla browser
> - nor Firefox on my Windows system. Come to that why is someone else having
> trouble with Firefox on Windows?
>
> I've found one site this morning which is freezing -
> http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=3431&sw=1024 - but is OK on
> Konqueror.
>
> Sites which regularly caused me trouble before the fix were
> http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/ (this needs free registration before
> downloading satellite pictures) and
> http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html. A site that was usually
> OK, unless their server was U/S, was
> http://iup.physik.uni-bremen.de:8084/amsr/arctic_AMSRE_visual.png.
>
> What's going on? Is there a bug out there that's affecting only Mozilla
> browsers?
>

> Graham
In FF, have you tried Tools>>Downloads>>Cleanup?  Oft times, this helps.

Irwin

--
Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

About Profiles -
http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About%20Profiles.html
Irwin
1/13/2006 12:12:37 AM
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 1/12/2006 4:49 AM Pacific, Graham P Davis wrote:
>> At the beginning of December, I started having problems with download
>> speeds from a number of sites. Although I have 1 Mb broadband, download
>> speeds were much worse than I used to get with 28.8 Kb dialup.
>>
>> I tried other browsers - Konqueror, Mozilla, Epiphany, Opera - and all
>> apart from Mozilla had no problems. I then connected up my old Windows
>> box and found Firefox had no trouble on that system. My conclusion was
>> that the problem was Linux-related in some way.
>>
>> A couple of days ago however, someone on an NTL group reported Firefox
>> slow connections on a Windows system. A cure was suggested and this
>> seemed to work. It involved going into preferences/general/connections,
>> selecting "manual proxy configuration", and entering one of a set of new
>> NTL proxy servers.
>>
>> I don't understand why Firefox on my Linux system should be affected but
>> not Konqueror - which, as far as I know, identifies itself as a Mozilla
>> browser - nor Firefox on my Windows system. Come to that why is someone
>> else having trouble with Firefox on Windows?
>>
>> I've found one site this morning which is freezing -
>> http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=3431&sw=1024 - but is OK on
>> Konqueror.
>>
>> Sites which regularly caused me trouble before the fix were
>> http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/ (this needs free registration before
>> downloading satellite pictures) and
>> http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html. A site that was usually
>> OK, unless their server was U/S, was
>> http://iup.physik.uni-bremen.de:8084/amsr/arctic_AMSRE_visual.png.
>>
>> What's going on? Is there a bug out there that's affecting only Mozilla
>> browsers?
>>

>> Graham
> In FF, have you tried Tools>>Downloads>>Cleanup?  Oft times, this helps.
>
> Irwin

Yes, I've tried that but without effect, and anyway the problem also
occurred on brand-new installations - one on a new computer. But today I
installed a new router and tried the most problematical site and . . . no
trouble. Still, one swallow doesn't make a summer so I'll keep the
champagne on ice for a while longer.

Graham
0
Graham
1/13/2006 5:53:29 PM
Could you have inadvertently shrunk the cache (or filled the
disk/partition where the cache is stored)?

--
1drum
0
1drum wrote:

> Could you have inadvertently shrunk the cache (or filled the
> disk/partition where the cache is stored)?

No, cache was unchanged and partitions had up to 80GB free space. I have 1GB
RAM and 5GB swap. I had the same problem with new installations - setting
up a new Linux user on an old machine then also setting up a new machine.
As soon as I'd set up the new router the problem vanished on all machines.

Since the old router was OK for some time I'm not sure that the trouble
won't re-occur. I don't see how a router could consistently throttle
downloads from some sites but not others. The reason for getting a new
router was that I wasn't happy with firewall-configuration options and had
to permanently switch it off to get access to all sites.

Of course no silver lining comes without a cloud, so it turned out the new
router (Linksys) could only be configured from a Windows box. That pleased
me no end! I've complained to Linksys and now I'll have a go at the
consumer magazine (Which) that recommended it.

Thanks for your reply,

Graham

0
Graham

Firefox or not Firefox

Firefox within Firefox
For a short time now (likely since upgrading to FF 1.5.02) I've noticed that when running a Firefox session, ZA will popup a notice that Firefox -- verified the same exe as the running one -- is "trying to access the internet." This is confusing because it's already accessing the internet, thanks much. However, the destination IP is always along the lines of 206.141.192.60:DNS, which translates to dns1.chcgil.sbcglobal.net, part of my ISP. So I've been saying yes. But I'm wondering why of a sudden this access is taking place, or being questioned, or what...

Firefox, meet the Firefox
Name: brooks Email: brooksonleyatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, meet the Firefox Comments: I don't know if this will go anywhere, but as both a die-hard Firefox user and an advocate for wildlife, I think it should be said.... As you may or may not know, "firefox" is the literal translation of the Chinese name for the Red Panda. Yes, the OTHER panda -- the cute, orange, raccoon-like one, not the big, black-and-white, bear-like one. Here is a link to an article at the National Wildlife Foundation [http://poprl.com/EIb], "Fighting for the Fi...

Firefox, and Firefox Portable
Name: Brian Email: silverdragona1ataol Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, and Firefox Portable Comments: Feedback. After several hefty fallouts with AOL, and the complete dogs dinner we are presented with that they claim is worthy of using, be it the AOL9 browser, I decided to try Firefox.... I am very annoyed. Why?... because stupidly, I had not tried Firefox EARLIER.... I have now replaced AOL9 completely on all the family computers with Firefox... I am also TOTALLY bewildered as to how you can get a fully functioning Firefox to run on a USB Flash Drive......... I...

Firefox uses Firefox.

firefox companion for firefox
Name: william faulks Email: wf010a4342atblueyonderdotcodotuk Product: eBay Companion Summary: firefox companion for firefox Comments: great program, been looking for something like this for ages Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Firefox 3.0 has broken the little AppleScript support remaining in Firefox
Name: James Yost Email: mrpersonatearthlinkdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.0 has broken the little AppleScript support remaining in Firefox Comments: In previous versions of Firefox there was slight AppleScript support. Version 3 has broken what remained (i.e. properties of window n). The Macintosh community would welcome more AppleScript support - At least a "do javascript" command from AppleScript would help a great deal. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14 From URL: http...

Firefox add-on "slogger" no longer supported with Firefox 3.x
Hello everyone, I did some research on my own to find a replacement or a way to make it work with Firefox 3.x since I found it so convenient. Since this was not really successful I turn to the group if anyone has advice :-) slogger is an add-on that (as I configured it) keeps a monthly log of URLs that I loaded (with timestamps) and a text-only-version of the pages (named with the timestamp) so that I can do full-text-search. Whenever I didn't remember where I had been seeing some information I searched through these logs and I did find what I was looking for quite ...

Partially self-built Firefox OS (was: Re: Supported locales in Firefox OS and OEMs)
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote: > I _hope_ (as in, it fits with our principles, I think it was the case, > but I am not closely involved) that one thing we do require is for the > phones to be unlockable. So people can, at least theoretically, install > other builds of Firefox OS, including versions with different locales, > after they have purchased the phone. Of course, this would require > CyanogenMod-like engineering because the phones will have proprietary > drivers in them. Having to install a new native code...

Upgrade to Firefox (Firefox 3)
Name: Bill Dunlop Email: billdunlopatpostmasterdotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Upgrade to Firefox (Firefox 3) Comments: Taking up your offer to 'upgrade' to Firefox 3 is possibly one of my poorer decisions- my principal issue is with the browser which not only added two (or was it three?) bookmarks not loaded into my browser bar, but deleted several. I use the browser for online news and professional purposes, with the FT, Independent, Guardian, Herald, Scotsman and Aljezeera, in my browser along with University of Edinburgh home page, postmaster.co.uk (email pr...

Firefox rules, Rock Your Firefox!
Hello everybody, I wanted to share with you an amazing article written on Wired.t by Giovanni Francesco Solone aka Gioxx, one of the Mozilla Italia Team member: http://www.wired.it/news/archivio/2010-04/05/firefox-rules,-rock-your-firefox!.aspx Cheers, Giuliano -- Mozilla Italia Web Site http://www.mozillaitalia.org/ Mozilla Italia Forums http://forum.mozillaitalia.org/ Wow - cool! Thanks for sharing! Barbara On Apr 6, 2010, at 6:59 PM, Giuliano Masseroni wrote: > Hello everybody, >=20 > I wanted to share with you an amazing article written on Wired...

plantage firefox firefox crashed
Bonjour, Voila mon probleme depuis la mise a jour de Kaspersky Antivirus 2009 , mon probl=E8me est le plantage syst=E9matique de Thunderbird 2.014 et de Firefox 3.0 sur une plateforme Hewlett Packard equipe en AMD Turion 64 bits avec windows XPSP2 (je ne peux dailleurs pas installer le patche dhp pour les processeurs amd necessaire =E0 l'installation de windows xp sp3 faute =E0 Kaspersky (dixit la hotline de HP) ) Ensuite jai remarqu=E9 quelque soit le navigateur hormis safari un plantage syst=E9matique lors de consultation de site de mise a jour microsoft update, office up...

wrong firefox on firefox.de
Name: Gandalf Product: Firefox Summary: wrong firefox on firefox.de Comments: Hey, there is a bad version of firefox (usage of Firefox logo) on firefox.de :/ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 From URL: Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Firefox & Firefox 3
Name: Steve Sadler Email: grstevesadlerathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox & Firefox 3 Comments: Hi I downloaded Firefox 3 both because I prefer your browser & because I thought it might fix a problem I have had for some time... I can't access my Gmail account. The sign up process to access my account always ends with a blank screen. I have been forced to revert to explorer to get my mail. Any thoughts? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Web resources about - Firefox throttled - mozilla.support.firefox

FTC: AT&T promised unlimited data, but throttled mobile customers
AT&T has misled millions of its mobile customers by promising unlimited data plans, then charging them and reducing their data speeds after they ...

FCC pressures T-Mobile into showing actual speed test results for users w/ throttled plans
... where consumers can get accurate speed information Filed under: Tech Industry Tagged: Data , FCC , Ookla , Speeds , T-Mobile , test , Throttled ...

FCC forces T-Mobile to stop hiding throttled speeds
The FCC has forced T-Mobile to provide clearer information to customers running on throttled speeds and stop extempting test speed tools from ...

Gmail being throttled, blocked by some anti-spam vendors
Over the past month, major anti-spam vendors have had to apply scrutiny to …

T-Mobile gives businesses the option of getting throttled or paying overage fees
... business users who consume more than their plan’s monthly allotment of HSPA+ data now have two options: They can either have their data throttled ...

If you have Sprint, you no longer have to worry about your smartphone data being throttled
Sprint, like many other wireless carriers, used to engage in the practice of “throttling” their users data speeds. This means that if you were ...

Hiker throttled by grizzly
One hiker’s close call with a grizzly and dozens of black bear complaints are prompting more bruin warnings from agencies across Alberta and ...

Greece throttled by Germany, says Santos
GDANSK (Reuters) - Greece coach Fernando Santos conceded Germany had squeezed the life out of his side after they were thumped 4-2 in the second ...

US oil throttled, ends under $93 amid demand woes
Crude oil was crushed on Tuesday, as concerns of slowing oil demand in China and Europe failed to offset supply worries from Libya.

T-Mobile agrees to reveal customers' throttled speeds
T-Mobile agrees to reveal customers' throttled speeds