Firefox error: 401 authorization required

I rebooted my computer this morning and now FF is acting crazy.=20
It is giving me the following message every time i try to access any part o=
f=20
www.wral.com [an NBC news channel].=20

"Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document=
 requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password),=
 or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Apache Server at www.wral.com Port 80"

is what I see. As I need FF to work in some of my necessary database sites,=
 I really can't choose a different browser. However, I do know I can access=
 wral.com in Chrome. I seriously can't figure out what happened. The change=
 I made this morning [security protection something for Flash Player] I und=
id as soon as I got the first error message. I cleared my cache, restarted =
the laptop and still have the same issue. I can't figure out what is going =
on.=20

I am at my wits end. Please help me find a solution! Thank you.=20

0
Diana
5/17/2017 7:49:49 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23969 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 5/17/2017 3:49 PM, Diana Sharp wrote:
> I rebooted my computer this morning and now FF is acting crazy.
> It is giving me the following message every time i try to access any part of
> www.wral.com [an NBC news channel].
>
> "Authorization Required
>
> This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
>
> Apache Server at www.wral.com Port 80"
>
> is what I see. As I need FF to work in some of my necessary database sites, I really can't choose a different browser. However, I do know I can access wral.com in Chrome. I seriously can't figure out what happened. The change I made this morning [security protection something for Flash Player] I undid as soon as I got the first error message. I cleared my cache, restarted the laptop and still have the same issue. I can't figure out what is going on.
>
> I am at my wits end. Please help me find a solution! Thank you.

I access that site several times a day.

What version Firefox are you using?

Does any other browser work?  401 often means you have no internet, but
may be a security deny.

Have you tried...
Firefox Help / Restart with Add-ons Disabled?

See, Help / Troubleshooting Information

Carl

0
Kingdaddy
5/18/2017 12:52:37 AM
Diana Sharp wrote:
> I rebooted my computer this morning and now FF is acting crazy.
> It is giving me the following message every time i try to access any part of
> www.wral.com [an NBC news channel].
>
> "Authorization Required
>
> This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
>
> Apache Server at www.wral.com Port 80"
>
> is what I see. As I need FF to work in some of my necessary database sites, I really can't choose a different browser. However, I do know I can access wral.com in Chrome. I seriously can't figure out what happened. The change I made this morning [security protection something for Flash Player] I undid as soon as I got the first error message. I cleared my cache, restarted the laptop and still have the same issue. I can't figure out what is going on.
>
> I am at my wits end. Please help me find a solution! Thank you.

I do not get any eror messages, but if I try to follow the articles, I
see no media or images on the resulting pages.  I tried disabling ad
blocking and allowing cookies temporarily, but that did not help.

0
EE
5/18/2017 7:37:39 PM
On 5/18/2017 3:37 PM, EE wrote:
> Diana Sharp wrote:
>> I rebooted my computer this morning and now FF is acting crazy.
>> It is giving me the following message every time i try to access any part of
>> www.wral.com [an NBC news channel].
>>
>> "Authorization Required
>>
>> This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the
>> document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad
>> password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the
>> credentials required.
>>
>> Apache Server at www.wral.com Port 80"
>>
>> is what I see. As I need FF to work in some of my necessary database
>> sites, I really can't choose a different browser. However, I do know I
>> can access wral.com in Chrome. I seriously can't figure out what
>> happened. The change I made this morning [security protection something
>> for Flash Player] I undid as soon as I got the first error message. I
>> cleared my cache, restarted the laptop and still have the same issue. I
>> can't figure out what is going on.
>>
>> I am at my wits end. Please help me find a solution! Thank you.
>>

> I do not get any eror messages, but if I try to follow the articles, I see
> no media or images on the resulting pages.  I tried disabling ad blocking
> and allowing cookies temporarily, but that did not help.

I get the media (well, for their lead story which is the only one I tested)
just as long as I tell NoScript to allow everything to run. Scripting seems
to be the only holdup.
0
John
5/18/2017 7:58:11 PM
John McGaw wrote:
> On 5/18/2017 3:37 PM, EE wrote:
>> Diana Sharp wrote:
>>> I rebooted my computer this morning and now FF is acting crazy.
>>> It is giving me the following message every time i try to access any
>>> part of
>>> www.wral.com [an NBC news channel].
>>>
>>> "Authorization Required
>>>
>>> This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the
>>> document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g.,
>>> bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the
>>> credentials required.
>>> _________________________________________________________
>>>
>>> Apache Server at www.wral.com Port 80"
>>>
>>> is what I see. As I need FF to work in some of my necessary database
>>> sites, I really can't choose a different browser. However, I do know
>>> I can access wral.com in Chrome. I seriously can't figure out what
>>> happened. The change I made this morning [security protection
>>> something for Flash Player] I undid as soon as I got the first error
>>> message. I cleared my cache, restarted the laptop and still have the
>>> same issue. I can't figure out what is going on.
>>>
>>> I am at my wits end. Please help me find a solution! Thank you.
>>>

>> I do not get any eror messages, but if I try to follow the articles, I
>> see no media or images on the resulting pages.  I tried disabling ad
>> blocking and allowing cookies temporarily, but that did not help.
>>
> I get the media (well, for their lead story which is the only one I
> tested) just as long as I tell NoScript to allow everything to run.
> Scripting seems to be the only holdup.

I allow script, so that is not my problem.

0
EE