Firefox contenttype support question (message/rfc822)

I'm looking for some help in regards to FireFox content type support.
I'm writting a web application that exports reports into a memory
stream and then to the browser.  The content type I need to use is
"message/rfc822".  This works fine in IE but in FireFox it doesn't
know what to do with my "Default.aspx" page and asks me to select an
application to open it with.  Does anyone have any information that
might help me out in my research?

Regards,

Michael
0
michaelblizzard
1/23/2008 7:04:55 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23873 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:04:55 -0800 (PST), in message <1218ec36-6807-42dd-8eae-bc955af099dd@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
michaelblizzard@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm looking for some help in regards to FireFox content type support.
> I'm writting a web application that exports reports into a memory
> stream and then to the browser.  The content type I need to use is
> "message/rfc822".  This works fine in IE but in FireFox it doesn't
> know what to do with my "Default.aspx" page and asks me to select an
> application to open it with.  Does anyone have any information that
> might help me out in my research?

A.  To support additional content types, the browser needs to have
    a plug-in for that content type.

    IE actually uses OE as the plug-in for content type "message/rfc822",
    (and for MHTML which is /almost/ the same thing).  The Windows end
    user almost certainly doesn't notice having to install a plug-in
    because OE (or its Vista successor) comes pre-installed with Windows.

    I myself don't know of a corresponding plug-in for Firefox.  If there
    were one, you might need to persuade your readers to install it.

B.  ISTM that anything you serve with content-type "message/rfc822" could
    be served with standard browser content types, although perhaps needing
    multiple HTTP requests and a little bit of smarts to preserve context
    between requests.

C.  If you are using "message/rfc822" only to add *small* images etc
    to an HTML page, you could instead use "text/html" with 'data:' URLs
    (see RF2397) for these images.  Firefox supports the 'data:' URL scheme.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Excellent response Ralph, thank you very much for the information.
This will prove very useful to my product team in resolving this
issue.  Thanks again,

Mike
0
michaelblizzard

why not support firefox
Name: Email: michelwongatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: why not support firefox Comments: Dear Sirs I notice that many China website e.g. http://v.163.com/tvlist/borpage_81.html not support firefox but only IE. The box said : "您现在使用浏览器(如FireFox)无法正常观看,请使用 IE(Internet Explorer)浏览器打开此页面!". This is only 1 example, but there are many more cases like this from China sites. Another 1 is CCTV(http://vod.cctv.com/podcast/index), but after I ungrade to 3.5.3 recently, CCTV China pop-up a small box asking me to plugin, after that I can view it. Please improv...

FIrefox support
I have had a message posted now for about two weeks in here and no replies - I'm used to the old Netscape support group that seemed to be very involved in anyone's issues - a lot of discussion and support. Does anyone have suggestions for links for technical support for Firefox browser? I like the browser and would like to switch over from Netscape but I need some help. Appreciate any ideas and links. On 23.09.2007 01:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused technical80@yahoo.com to generate the following:? : > I have had a message posted now for about two weeks in here ...

Firefox Support?
Hopefully someone will answer this. I have seen several posts asking about Firefox support in NW65SP3 with no responses. I see that support should be there in SP3, but it isn't working on any of the servers in our school district. I am running FF 1.0.4, and the 4.0.5 iPrint client. We are still receiving the message that iPrint is not installed. Is there something that I need to do on the server to enable iPrint support for other browsers? -- ----------------------------------------------------------------- Timothy M. Musa Community Consolidated School District 93 ...

Support Firefox
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Support Firefox Comments: In US, online banks can be accessed by using firefox, which is not the case in China since in China banks usually issue a plug-in which is a pre-requsite and is only compatible with IE. I believe this problem hinders the more poluparization of FIREFOX in China. But in US, this is hardly a problem, I prefer Firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; zh-CN; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response...

support/what support
Name: William Johnson Email: william0992atsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: support/what support Comments: your support? department for Firefox issues is nothing but a circular maze of unbelievably confusing information that is of no use for the layman and I would dump this piece of trash if I didn't need it for certain websites. I don't know how to reprogram the many bugs or fix the many websites broken by this thing and its "error console" with no directions as to what to do with it. What is it's purpose if there is no help function for it? ...

Firefox support should be ...
-- i think -- Firefox support should last 5 years to 7 years for Firefox 2.x.x.x and 3.x.x ...

Firefox Not supported
Name: Chris Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Not supported Comments: Firefox not supported on NatWest online banking. Running Firefox version 3.1b3 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Firefox support
There is a new IPrint client (4.05) on Novell's site. Does this version support Firefox? Thanks. MC No issues for iPrint 4.0.5 under Firefox 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. I also had no issues under earlier iPrint clients either. >>> Mike<curt@fordhamprep.org> 4/14/2005 10:55 AM >>> There is a new IPrint client (4.05) on Novell's site. Does this version support Firefox? Thanks. MC Michael Fraser wrote: > No issues for iPrint 4.0.5 under Firefox 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. > > I also had no issues under earlier iPrint clients either. > >...

Firefox support
I have been experimenting around with Mozilla's Firefox browser, here are my questions: 1. has anyone else been looking into this, if so what have you found for compatibility 2. I have found that only 1 of the page layouts render correctly in Firefox, does anyone know why, or if this is being worked on? Thanks again for your time and knowledge 1. has anyone else been looking into this, if so what have you found for compatibility Some of the html editors don't work that well or at all in FF. 2. I have found that only 1 of the page layouts render correctly in Firefox, does an...

Firefox support forum question (escalation)
Name: Product: Other (please state) Summary: Firefox support forum question (escalation) Comments: Somebody might want to visit this forum posting and give a reply: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/566257? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

firefox support
Name: hen Product: Firefox Summary: firefox support Comments: firefox should support Firefox 2.x.x.x and 3.x.x - 5 years to 7 years should be good support Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Firefox or not Firefox

Firefox 3.0 has broken the little AppleScript support remaining in Firefox
Name: James Yost Email: mrpersonatearthlinkdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.0 has broken the little AppleScript support remaining in Firefox Comments: In previous versions of Firefox there was slight AppleScript support. Version 3 has broken what remained (i.e. properties of window n). The Macintosh community would welcome more AppleScript support - At least a "do javascript" command from AppleScript would help a great deal. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14 From URL: http...

Firefox add-on "slogger" no longer supported with Firefox 3.x
Hello everyone, I did some research on my own to find a replacement or a way to make it work with Firefox 3.x since I found it so convenient. Since this was not really successful I turn to the group if anyone has advice :-) slogger is an add-on that (as I configured it) keeps a monthly log of URLs that I loaded (with timestamps) and a text-only-version of the pages (named with the timestamp) so that I can do full-text-search. Whenever I didn't remember where I had been seeing some information I searched through these logs and I did find what I was looking for quite ...

Web resources about - Firefox contenttype support question (message/rfc822) - mozilla.support.firefox

Library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A library is an organized collection of books , other printed materials, and in some cases special materials such as manuscripts, films and other ...

Library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A library is an organized collection of books , other printed materials, and in some cases special materials such as manuscripts, films and other ...

Limburg.be - Welkom op de site van de provincie Limburg - Welkom_op_de_site_van_de_provincie_Limburg
visit wonen werken leven ontspannen infopunt home op trefwoord contactpersonen wegwijs sitemap print deze pagina Je bent hier: limburg.be Contact ...

Season 1 Sneak Preview: The Pitch
Watch The Pitch season 1 sneak peek in its entirety for free on AMCtv.com: Two agencies compete in a battle to find the next big…

Making your ASP.NET Web API’s secure
... wished to initiate a request from your C# code, you might have a utility method like this: WebRequest getRequest(string method, string contentType, ...

Why Obama's $90 Billion Bank Tax Is Fair Play
The White House is poised to propose a $90 billion tax on big banks to recoup losses from the Troubled Asset Recovery Program (TARP). After all ...

Derrick Petzold
; Open source enthusiast and developer from django.contrib.auth.models import User from django.contrib.contenttypes import generic from djan ...

Digital Worldwide Partner Community - Get Involved - Partner Perspectives
Join the Microsoft Partner Network Community; we are building a community that is all about you. Connect with other partners and Microsoft to ...

Phaxio integration using HttpClient & ASP.NET MVC
... ( ( requestTask ) { var response = requestTask . Result ; response . EnsureSuccessStatusCode (); response . Content . Headers . ContentType ...

Travel guides for every budget, interest, season and holiday - Travel - Disney Family.com
Check out our family vacation ideas with trips perfect for summer vacation, winter break, spring break, holiday travel, weekend getaways, and ...