Firefox Connection problem

About 3-4 weeks ago when using Firefox(v 3.6.13) it would stall after
5-10 min. and not connect. E-mail (Thunderbird) continued to work. Using
a Verizon USB wireless modem on a PC. Contacted their tech support 7x's
(@13 hours total) Changed modems twice. They finally decided problem was
on computer. If I reboot computer will work for the 5-10". I noticed
that if I used Opera (11.0) problem did not occur. Uninstalled Firefox
(using Revo Uninstaller) reinstalled 3.6.13 - same problem. Uninstalled
and reinstalled v3.5.1 - same problem.
Using Win Xp, sp3.
Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions to locate problem.Have been a
Mozilla fan since Netscape 1.0 and would hate to only use Opera.
TIA
0
Bill
12/26/2010 7:42:05 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23488 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

On 10-12-26 2:42 PM, Bill Wheeler wrote:
> About 3-4 weeks ago when using Firefox(v 3.6.13) it would stall after
> 5-10 min. and not connect. E-mail (Thunderbird) continued to work. Using
> a Verizon USB wireless modem on a PC. Contacted their tech support 7x's
> (@13 hours total) Changed modems twice. They finally decided problem was
> on computer. If I reboot computer will work for the 5-10". I noticed
> that if I used Opera (11.0) problem did not occur. Uninstalled Firefox
> (using Revo Uninstaller) reinstalled 3.6.13 - same problem. Uninstalled
> and reinstalled v3.5.1 - same problem.
> Using Win Xp, sp3.
> Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions to locate problem.Have been a
> Mozilla fan since Netscape 1.0 and would hate to only use Opera.
> TIA

Upgrade to the latest version.
See <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Updating%20Firefox>.

If you still have the same problem, it could be an extension. Try
starting Firefox in Firefox Safe Mode, which disables all extensions.
For instructions, see
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Updating%20Firefox>.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 12/26/2010 6:05 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 10-12-26 2:42 PM, Bill Wheeler wrote:
>> About 3-4 weeks ago when using Firefox(v 3.6.13) it would stall after
>> 5-10 min. and not connect. E-mail (Thunderbird) continued to work. Using
>> a Verizon USB wireless modem on a PC. Contacted their tech support 7x's
>> (@13 hours total) Changed modems twice. They finally decided problem was
>> on computer. If I reboot computer will work for the 5-10". I noticed
>> that if I used Opera (11.0) problem did not occur. Uninstalled Firefox
>> (using Revo Uninstaller) reinstalled 3.6.13 - same problem. Uninstalled
>> and reinstalled v3.5.1 - same problem.
>> Using Win Xp, sp3.
>> Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions to locate problem.Have been a
>> Mozilla fan since Netscape 1.0 and would hate to only use Opera.
>> TIA
>
> Upgrade to the latest version.
> See <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Updating%20Firefox>.
>
> If you still have the same problem, it could be an extension. Try
> starting Firefox in Firefox Safe Mode, which disables all extensions.
> For instructions, see
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Updating%20Firefox>.

I was using 3.6.13. Also had tried running in Safe mode. BTW, once the
connection slows &/or stops it effects all web connections (other
browsers, antivirus updates, etc.)but not e-mail programs. That was why
I spent so much time with Verizon tech support. Once I reboot all works
for a while. Currently using Opera with no problems.
0
Bill
12/27/2010 2:44:22 PM
Bill Wheeler <" "@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> I was using 3.6.13. Also had tried running in Safe mode. BTW, once the
> connection slows &/or stops it effects all web connections (other
> browsers, antivirus updates, etc.) but not e-mail programs.

That implies it's not a FF problem as such, but a system one.

I'd look closely at firewall, anti-malware and anti-virus software &
settings.  It looks to me as if something that's filtering/logging html
traffic is the problem.

> Currently using Opera with no problems.

Maybe something that FF starts causes a problem.

Do you use streaming or peer-to-peer file download programs? Is there any
possibility that (I think you said you had a wireless modem) someone else is
piggy-backing on your connection and using your bandwidth?  If you have a
LAN in the house, could someone else in the hous ebe using bandwidth?

When you say the connection "slows" do you mean that suddenly the total
amount of traffic drops, or just that the amount that you think you're
sending drops?

Could that be an ISP-applied cap on your download amount or rate?

DO you have any traffic amount/rate display software?  I use NetMeter on Win
XP Pro SP3 to show what's going in & out.  It's available from:
http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

It'd be interesting to know whether when your slowdown occurs there's
(perhaps) lots of traffic you don't know about happening, as well as the
stuff you do know about.  An app like NetMeter lets you see the volume that
is being sent & received by your machine.

I'd be inclined to download and run the SysInternals TCPView utility - see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ which when run will show you
which programs on your machine are opening 'sockets' ie connections between
them and elsewhere using internet protocols.

(Note that some programs legitimately use such protocols to talk to other
parts of the same program running on your machine.)

You might be able to see extra activity when the problem starts.

Apart from that I take it you've run full a/v and a/malware scans?

Does your firewall create detailed logs?

Jeremy
12/27/2010 3:13:25 PM
On 12/27/2010 10:13 AM, Jeremy Nicoll - ml firefox wrote:
> Bill Wheeler<" "@lists.mozilla.org>  wrote:
>
>> I was using 3.6.13. Also had tried running in Safe mode. BTW, once the
>> connection slows&/or stops it effects all web connections (other
>> browsers, antivirus updates, etc.) but not e-mail programs.
>
> That implies it's not a FF problem as such, but a system one.
Verizon suggested the same - but only occurs with Firefox

> I'd look closely at firewall, anti-malware and anti-virus software&
> settings.  It looks to me as if something that's filtering/logging html
> traffic is the problem.
>
>> Currently using Opera with no problems.
>
> Maybe something that FF starts causes a problem.
>

> Do you use streaming or peer-to-peer file download programs? Is there any
> possibility that (I think you said you had a wireless modem) someone else is
> piggy-backing on your connection and using your bandwidth?  If you have a
> LAN in the house, could someone else in the hous ebe using bandwidth?
Connection is a wireless broadband 3g (we don't have cable or DSL available)

> When you say the connection "slows" do you mean that suddenly the total
> amount of traffic drops, or just that the amount that you think you're
> sending drops?
It drops from 0.7 - 1.2 to just standing still (on downloads)

> Could that be an ISP-applied cap on your download amount or rate?
No we are well within it

> DO you have any traffic amount/rate display software?  I use NetMeter on Win
> XP Pro SP3 to show what's going in&  out.  It's available from:
> http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/
I have NetWorx

> It'd be interesting to know whether when your slowdown occurs there's
> (perhaps) lots of traffic you don't know about happening, as well as the
> stuff you do know about.  An app like NetMeter lets you see the volume that
> is being sent&  received by your machine.
>

> I'd be inclined to download and run the SysInternals TCPView utility - see
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ which when run will show you
> which programs on your machine are opening 'sockets' ie connections between
> them and elsewhere using internet protocols.
On same page Opera uses 1 UDP protocol; Firefox 5 TCP protocols (I'm not
sophisticated enough to know what all that means)

> (Note that some programs legitimately use such protocols to talk to other
> parts of the same program running on your machine.)
>
> You might be able to see extra activity when the problem starts.
>
> Apart from that I take it you've run full a/v and a/malware scans?
Yes

> Does your firewall create detailed logs?
No
Thanks for the help

0
Bill
12/27/2010 6:53:35 PM
Bill Wheeler <" "@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 12/27/2010 10:13 AM, Jeremy Nicoll - ml firefox wrote:
> > Bill Wheeler<" "@lists.mozilla.org>  wrote:
> >
> >> I was using 3.6.13. Also had tried running in Safe mode. BTW, once the
> >> connection slows&/or stops it effects all web connections (other
> >> browsers, antivirus updates, etc.) but not e-mail programs.
> >
> > That implies it's not a FF problem as such, but a system one.
> Verizon suggested the same - but only occurs with Firefox

Despite what you say below it might be download-volume related.  FF
downloads a new version of the known-malware sites database fairly
regularly, I think. Also you might eg have the way that FF's and Opera's
caches are working set up differently.  Or, you may simply be using Opera
less than FF; I know if I use a different browser for a while I tend to use
it less than the one I'm most comfortable with.

You might find it worth while to note the amount downloaded so far (in
NetWorx) before starting up FF and then noting how much has been downloaded
when a slow-down occurs.  And do that several times...

> Connection is a wireless broadband 3g (we don't have cable or DSL
> available)

(I have no experience of these wireless dongles).

When slowdowns occur, is the connection still up?  Can you ping external
addresses?

Is there anything happening in your house - eg a microwave oven being turned
on that might have produced enough wireless interference to have broken the
connection?

Do you have any connection software that 'manages' the dongle?  Does it
create any logs?  Is there any evidence that the connection has to be
restarted to get it going again?  if you look at the connection's Status in
'Network Connections' (when it's slow) is there any traffic passing at all
(you'd see an incrementing packet count).

What firewall are you using?

Do you have any 'resident' anti-malware or a/v software running, of the sort
that tries to protect you from processes running in your computer at any
particular instant?

> > I'd be inclined to download and run the SysInternals TCPView utility -
> > see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ which when run will
> > show you which programs on your machine are opening 'sockets' ie
> > connections between them and elsewhere using internet protocols.
> On same page Opera uses 1 UDP protocol; Firefox 5 TCP protocols (I'm not
> sophisticated enough to know what all that means)

UDP and TCP are different levels/flavour of conversation.  UDP is a more
basic level, the sort of thing that typically helps machines to talk
together rather than applications running on them.  For example when your
browser wants to talk to a web server the DNS process (converting a text URL
to an ip address) happens over UDP. Once the browser knows the ip address it
want to talk to it would use a TCP session to try to talk to the server.
Ping usually works via UDP.

I'm a bit surprised that Opera only shows a UDP connection however TCPview
shows /ongoing/ connections.  Maybe Opera is well behaved and collects a
page and then closes the connections over which it fetched the data.  Many
apps don't bother closing connections at all, or are very slow to do so.

Anyway, the point where the display might have become interesting would be
when a slow-down occurs, especially if that had been because some other app
was making a connection.

Jeremy
12/27/2010 7:28:34 PM
On 10-12-27 9:44 AM, Bill Wheeler wrote:
> I was using 3.6.13. Also had tried running in Safe mode. BTW, once the
> connection slows &/or stops it effects all web connections (other
> browsers, antivirus updates, etc.)but not e-mail programs. That was why
> I spent so much time with Verizon tech support. Once I reboot all works
> for a while. Currently using Opera with no problems.

The problem is most likely your firewall or antivirus program. As a
test, try disabling your firewall for a while and see if the problem
still occurs.
If the problem goes away, there are articles listed at
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firewalls> that will help you
configure your firewall to work with Firefox.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 12/27/2010 2:50 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 10-12-27 9:44 AM, Bill Wheeler wrote:
>> I was using 3.6.13. Also had tried running in Safe mode. BTW, once the
>> connection slows &/or stops it effects all web connections (other
>> browsers, antivirus updates, etc.)but not e-mail programs. That was why
>> I spent so much time with Verizon tech support. Once I reboot all works
>> for a while. Currently using Opera with no problems.
>
> The problem is most likely your firewall or antivirus program. As a
> test, try disabling your firewall for a while and see if the problem
> still occurs.
> If the problem goes away, there are articles listed at
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firewalls> that will help you
> configure your firewall to work with Firefox.

YES !! The problem was apparently in the firewall. Disabled it and
things seemed to work. 30 secs. to fix it and no problems (so far).
Worked with 7 tech support people at Verizon over 3-4 weeks. It took a
while to find the problem was only between Firefox and the firewall
although they had played well with each other for quite some time.

Again, many thanks Chris-
0
Bill

Firefox 0.9.2 connection problem (Firefox newbie)
1. With Firefox installed, the ability to change "Default" dial up or network connections seems to be lost. (Settings | Network Connections | (select one & right-click) | Set as default connection) is greyed out. This means that there is no way of changing the Default Dial-Up connection. (MSIE Options can go through the motions of changing default connection, but it doesn't "stick"). 2. IE/OE dial up uses the Dial Up Connection dialogue; with this, the desired connection can be readily selected, Firefox, OTOH uses the (unchangeable) default Network Con...

Firefox or not Firefox

Firefox had a problem and crashed there a problem when reporting Firefox errors
Name: jeff Email: bank6666atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox had a problem and crashed there a problem when reporting Firefox errors Comments: Firefox had a problem and crashed there a problem when reporting Firefox errors Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Connection Problems in firefox and internet browsers, but no problem with skype!!!
Hello; I have installed openSUSE 12.1, I open firefox and skype, they work normally. But after a certain period of time, no internet on the firefox and all the other browsers (google chrome and opera) but still can use skype normally. I had a suspect about the proxy settings, so I opened firefox, Edit-> Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings, and I switched it to no proxy. then I restarted my laptop, opened firefox, it worked normally for a certain period of time, no internet in firefox, but internet in skype !!!!!!!!!!! I need help please -- jramadan --...

Animation Problem in firefox 1* and firefox 2*
Name: alejandro Email: alejodotjmatgmail.com Product: Firefox Summary: Animation Problem in firefox 1* and firefox 2* Comments: Hello i from Colombia i am a web developer i work with javascript and php and i know web 2.0, i have 3 years experience. Animation using Firefox 1*, firefox 2* is so slow besides when i push the event button several times it works fine but the animation does not work properly. This happen with this libraries script.aculo.us (http://script.aculo.us/) with framework prototype (http://www.prototypejs.org/) and yui (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/...

firefox 3 beta and firefox 2 problem
Name: Nick Jansen Email: kaspyrdotjansenatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: firefox 3 beta and firefox 2 problem Comments: After installing firefox 3 beta on windows vista home premium, I lost the back and forward buttons on the navigation toolbar and I can't get them back. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 ...

Firefox, meet the Firefox
Name: brooks Email: brooksonleyatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, meet the Firefox Comments: I don't know if this will go anywhere, but as both a die-hard Firefox user and an advocate for wildlife, I think it should be said.... As you may or may not know, "firefox" is the literal translation of the Chinese name for the Red Panda. Yes, the OTHER panda -- the cute, orange, raccoon-like one, not the big, black-and-white, bear-like one. Here is a link to an article at the National Wildlife Foundation [http://poprl.com/EIb], "Fighting for the Fi...

Upgrade to Firefox renders Firefox unable to connect to internet.
Name: Ken Rutledge Email: k-l-rutledge Product: Firefox Summary: Upgrade to Firefox renders Firefox unable to connect to internet. Comments: I was quite happy using Firefox 1.05.0.2 and had no problems. I had Firefox set for automatic downloads. When the upgrade to 1.05.0.5 was downloaded, I let Firefox install it. Big mistake. After upgrade, I could not contect the interenet. Afterwards I spent frustrating hours trying to understand why not. Finally, I used Internet Explorer to find version 1.05.02 again, downloaded and installed, and was able to connect. However I forgot t...

firefox companion for firefox
Name: william faulks Email: wf010a4342atblueyonderdotcodotuk Product: eBay Companion Summary: firefox companion for firefox Comments: great program, been looking for something like this for ages Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Firefox uses Firefox.

Firefox within Firefox
For a short time now (likely since upgrading to FF 1.5.02) I've noticed that when running a Firefox session, ZA will popup a notice that Firefox -- verified the same exe as the running one -- is "trying to access the internet." This is confusing because it's already accessing the internet, thanks much. However, the destination IP is always along the lines of 206.141.192.60:DNS, which translates to dns1.chcgil.sbcglobal.net, part of my ISP. So I've been saying yes. But I'm wondering why of a sudden this access is taking place, or being questioned, or what...

Firefox, and Firefox Portable
Name: Brian Email: silverdragona1ataol Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox, and Firefox Portable Comments: Feedback. After several hefty fallouts with AOL, and the complete dogs dinner we are presented with that they claim is worthy of using, be it the AOL9 browser, I decided to try Firefox.... I am very annoyed. Why?... because stupidly, I had not tried Firefox EARLIER.... I have now replaced AOL9 completely on all the family computers with Firefox... I am also TOTALLY bewildered as to how you can get a fully functioning Firefox to run on a USB Flash Drive......... I...

Have had this same problem with Firefox 3. Mac does not recognize that this is the Firefox application
Name: JC Email: contactjcchengatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Have had this same problem with Firefox 3. Mac does not recognize that this is the Firefox application Comments: i have a MAC g5 (pre-intel) Browser Details: undefined GoogleToolbarBB From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Web resources about - Firefox Connection problem - mozilla.support.firefox

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: CPRS researchers study auditory connection
For 16 years Kerry Whyman ``secretly&quot; thought she had bone cancer and was dying secretly because she'd stopped telling doctors how much ...

Fictional Lawyers Use Their Family Connections Too
This film character had a family connection to his lawyer.

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

Internet connections at UK universities have been knocked out by a 'persistent' cyber attack
... internet following a targeted cyber attack on a nationwide education network. The University of Manchester said on Tuesday its internet connection ...

CNN: Investigators Find ISIS Connection In San Bernardino Shooting
As the San Bernardino attack was happening, the female shooter, Tashfeen Malik posted on Facebook, pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr ...