Firefox Account

I am using Firefox 56.0, 64-bit, for Windows.
I can find a ton of information on how to create --or delete!-- a
Firefox account.  But I cannot find a good source of information
regarding how things work once the account is created.

For instance:
1)  Do I have to manually sign-in to the Firefox account every time
that I use Firefox on my PC?
2)  Are my bookmarks (those backed up to the Firefox account)
automatically compared to those present in my Firefox program?
3)  If I use somebody else's PC, launch Firefox and sign in to my
Firefox account, can I access my bookmarks without overwriting those
that are present in the PC's Firefox?

Anybody knows a good, thorough tutorial concerning Firefox accounts?
--
tb
0

On 10/4/17 2:59 PM, tb wrote:
> I am using Firefox 56.0, 64-bit, for Windows.
> I can find a ton of information on how to create --or delete!-- a
> Firefox account.  But I cannot find a good source of information
> regarding how things work once the account is created.
>
> For instance:
> 1)  Do I have to manually sign-in to the Firefox account every time
> that I use Firefox on my PC?
> 2)  Are my bookmarks (those backed up to the Firefox account)
> automatically compared to those present in my Firefox program?
> 3)  If I use somebody else's PC, launch Firefox and sign in to my
> Firefox account, can I access my bookmarks without overwriting those
> that are present in the PC's Firefox?
>
> Anybody knows a good, thorough tutorial concerning Firefox accounts?

This?

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox/sync>

--
Go Steelers, Pitt and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
On 2017-10-04 14:59, tb <nospam@example.invalid> wrote:

> I am using Firefox 56.0, 64-bit, for Windows.
> I can find a ton of information on how to create --or delete!-- a
> Firefox account.  But I cannot find a good source of information
> regarding how things work once the account is created.
>
> For instance:

> 1)  Do I have to manually sign-in to the Firefox account every time
> that I use Firefox on my PC?

No. You go to Options->Sync, sign-in once, and it will remember.

> 2)  Are my bookmarks (those backed up to the Firefox account)
> automatically compared to those present in my Firefox program?

The first time you sync, it will upload ALL your bookmarks. Then if you
sign-in with a different profile, that one will download those sync'ed
bookmarks - I am not sure if they will merge with existing bookmarks, or
if the existing ones will be replaced. Once you have a couple profiles
sync'ed, a change to bookmarks will be reflected in the other profiles.

> 3)  If I use somebody else's PC, launch Firefox and sign in to my
> Firefox account, can I access my bookmarks without overwriting those
> that are present in the PC's Firefox?

You should use profile manager, and create a profile for yourself,
otherwise that someone else's PC will download your bookmarks (or merge,
still not sure) and those will become that PC's permanent bookmarks.

> Anybody knows a good, thorough tutorial concerning Firefox accounts?

Nope. The link Walt posted is woefully inadequate. It's out there, I
just don't know where...

Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  Soon to be a major motion picture!

0
B00ze
10/5/2017 2:27:33 AM
tb wrote:

> I am using Firefox 56.0, 64-bit, for Windows.
> I can find a ton of information on how to create --or delete!-- a
> Firefox account.  But I cannot find a good source of information
> regarding how things work once the account is created.
>
> For instance:
> 1)  Do I have to manually sign-in to the Firefox account every time
> that I use Firefox on my PC?

Not if you allow the password to get saved into Firefox's password
manager.  Until recently, I did NOT allow Firefox to save logins.
However, for Firefox Sync to work automatically when it loaded, I had to
enable password saving in Firefox, let Firefox Sync do a sync, and then
disable password saving.  I could see its Password Manager show the
Firefox Sync login, deleted any others, and then disabled that feature.

Before I temporarily allowed Firefox to save logins, Firefox Sync would
fail to start on a load of Firefox.  I had to manually initiate the
login which was effective only during that session of Firefox.

> 2)  Are my bookmarks (those backed up to the Firefox account)
> automatically compared to those present in my Firefox program?

Firefox Sync changed from using a secret key within the client (that had
to be shared to other clients so they could access the same data) to
using online accounts.  As with other online accounts, you have a login
username and a login password.

https://blog.mozilla.org/services/2014/04/30/firefox-syncs-new-security-model/

As with any login, your credentials should be strong.  Not so much for
the username but the password should be strong.  Anything simple or
common can be guessed which means your account is vulnerable to hacking.
Also, your login password at every domain should be unique.  That is,
use a different strong password at every domain.  Don't be the dummy
that uses the same username and password at every web site and then
wonders how someone got into all your accounts because they managed to
hack one of them.  Employ the same security for the Firefox Account that
you should for all web sites where you login.

> 3)  If I use somebody else's PC, launch Firefox and sign in to my
> Firefox account, can I access my bookmarks without overwriting those
> that are present in the PC's Firefox?

Disable (logout of) Firefox Sync on the other person's computer where
you are using Firefox.  Since you haven't been there before, it is
highly unlikely that they will the login credentials to your Firefox
Account.

If you choose to log into your Firefox Account on that other computer,
make sure that Firefox is configured to not save logins or delete the
logins before you exit that instance of Firefox.  You don't want someone
there to later log into your Firefox Account.

> Anybody knows a good, thorough tutorial concerning Firefox accounts?

Other then doing an online search and/or hunting at Youtube?

As for the decision tree used by their sync algorithm, I've not seen
that published.  Does the client record supercede the server record?
Does the server record superced the client record?  Are unmatched
entries copied or deleted?  Is the goal to perform a backup sync (which
can leave remnant entries that should deleted) or perform a mirroring
between endpoints?  Is there any consideration regarding datestamps of
the records, like only replace newer with older and which client's
datestamp gets used to datestamp a record on the server?  Do missing
records on the client found on the server remain on the server until
some later expiration (so other clients can still sync with the same
record that still exists on that client)?  Are bookmarks recorded by
their name (title) or some internal record number?  If by name, how are
duplicates handled where the other attributes (e.g., target URL) are
different?  Why does Firefox Sync for mobile Firefox results in
"desktop" and "mobile" groups of bookmarks instead of the same one group
shown in the tree on any client (i.e., anchor them all to the same tree
root node) - which is likely due to reduced bookmarking functions in
mobile Firefox?

When you setup Firefox Sync for the first time (i.e., on a new device),
you get an option to replace all the Firefox data on that device with
what is on the server in your Firefox account, or visa versa.  That is,
on a new Firefox Sync account setup in a Firefox on a newly added
device, you can force a one-way sync down or up.  But what happens to
any existing records on the client on a one-way down sync or any
existing records on a one-way up sync?  As I recall, the elective
one-way sync results in clearing the records at the target: client wiped
for one-way down, or server wiped for one-way up but then that would
affect other clients when they connect to the server (they'd get wiped,
too, on their next sync to the server and only have those that had been
uploaded to the server).

There are no sync options for Firefox Sync other than what type of
records are synchronized between a particular client to the server.  The
sync magic is still unrevealed.
0
VanguardLH
10/5/2017 3:44:30 AM
On 10/4/2017 8:59 AM, tb wrote:
> I am using Firefox 56.0, 64-bit, for Windows.
> I can find a ton of information on how to create --or delete!-- a
> Firefox account.  But I cannot find a good source of information
> regarding how things work once the account is created.
>
> For instance:
> 1)  Do I have to manually sign-in to the Firefox account every time
> that I use Firefox on my PC?
> 2)  Are my bookmarks (those backed up to the Firefox account)
> automatically compared to those present in my Firefox program?
> 3)  If I use somebody else's PC, launch Firefox and sign in to my
> Firefox account, can I access my bookmarks without overwriting those
> that are present in the PC's Firefox?
>
> Anybody knows a good, thorough tutorial concerning Firefox accounts?

You mean Firefox PROFILE.  Fx account is a different animal and needed
ONLY if you want to login at Mozilla Addons site so that you can create
a comment about a particular extension.  You don't need to login to
download an extension, etc.

https://accounts.firefox.com
0
Desiree
10/6/2017 2:10:29 AM
On 10/4/2017 8:59 AM, tb wrote:
> I am using Firefox 56.0, 64-bit, for Windows.
> I can find a ton of information on how to create --or delete!-- a
> Firefox account.  But I cannot find a good source of information
> regarding how things work once the account is created.
>
> For instance:
> 1)  Do I have to manually sign-in to the Firefox account every time
> that I use Firefox on my PC?
> 2)  Are my bookmarks (those backed up to the Firefox account)
> automatically compared to those present in my Firefox program?
> 3)  If I use somebody else's PC, launch Firefox and sign in to my
> Firefox account, can I access my bookmarks without overwriting those
> that are present in the PC's Firefox?
>
> Anybody knows a good, thorough tutorial concerning Firefox accounts?

You mean Firefox PROFILE.  Fx account is a different animal and needed
ONLY if you want to login at Mozilla Addons site so that you can create
a comment about a particular extension.  You don't need to login to
download an extension, etc.

https://accounts.firefox.com
0
Desiree

On 2017-10-04 23:44, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> tb wrote:
>
>> I am using Firefox 56.0, 64-bit, for Windows.
>> I can find a ton of information on how to create --or delete!-- a
>> Firefox account.  But I cannot find a good source of information
>> regarding how things work once the account is created.
>>
>> For instance:
>> 1)  Do I have to manually sign-in to the Firefox account every time
>> that I use Firefox on my PC?
>
> Not if you allow the password to get saved into Firefox's password
> manager.  Until recently, I did NOT allow Firefox to save logins.
> However, for Firefox Sync to work automatically when it loaded, I had to
> enable password saving in Firefox, let Firefox Sync do a sync, and then
> disable password saving.  I could see its Password Manager show the
> Firefox Sync login, deleted any others, and then disabled that feature.
> Before I temporarily allowed Firefox to save logins, Firefox Sync would
> fail to start on a load of Firefox.  I had to manually initiate the
> login which was effective only during that session of Firefox.

Strange, I have never allowed Firefox to save passwords, it is disabled
(remember logins) and has always been, yet when I signed-in to Sync it
remembered the password without me having to enable this first. I find
it strange that this did not work for you automatically (yup, I can see
the login in the password manager; it's the only login saved there).

[snip]

>> Anybody knows a good, thorough tutorial concerning Firefox accounts?
>
> Other then doing an online search and/or hunting at Youtube?
>
> As for the decision tree used by their sync algorithm, I've not seen
> that published.  Does the client record supersede the server record?
> Does the server record supersede the client record?  Are unmatched

> [SNIP]

> There are no sync options for Firefox Sync other than what type of
> records are synchronized between a particular client to the server. The
> sync magic is still unrevealed.

EXACTLY! All good questions for which answers should have been
published. Right now we (users) don't have a clue as to what will happen
when we enable Sync on an already existing profile. Just to be safe I
zap Places before I enable Sync on a new device - more precisely, I copy
the Places from my main profile onto the new device, then I enable Sync...

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  Luke, use The Force, not your fingers.

0
B00ze