Firefox 56 Installed, Now Missing Bookmarks

I had Firefox 55.0.3 on my Windows 10 computer, and allowed
Firefox to update to v. 56.  When I opened Firefox, all my
bookmarks were missing, as were my customizations.  I ran
the Profile manager, and picked an old profile, and the
bookmarks of that profile appeared.  However, I would like
to recover the bookmarks of the last few days.  All of my
add-ons were disabled for being Legacy, so it seems to me
that Firefox is already in Safe Mode.  Is there anything I
can do to recover the data from my profile as of just before
the update?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

0
Neil
10/4/2017 7:12:51 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24002 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 2017-10-04 3:12 AM, Neil wrote:
> I had Firefox 55.0.3 on my Windows 10 computer, and allowed Firefox to
> update to v. 56.  When I opened Firefox, all my bookmarks were missing,
> as were my customizations.  I ran the Profile manager, and picked an old
> profile, and the bookmarks of that profile appeared.  However, I would
> like to recover the bookmarks of the last few days.  All of my add-ons
> were disabled for being Legacy, so it seems to me that Firefox is
> already in Safe Mode.  Is there anything I can do to recover the data
> from my profile as of just before the update?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Neil

How old was the old profile and are you now using the old profile or
your new "broken" profile?

Firefox automatically backs up bookmarks in a ".jsonlz4" file every few
days in a bookmarkbackups folder under your profile.  With any luck you
will find one that covers those missing days of bookmarks (my last one
was on October 1st so I couldn't use mine if I needed to recover
anything I'd bookmarked since then).  You might be able to recover the
sites from your history as well or "recently bookmarked" if that is
still intact.

The other place you could look in the "broken" profile is in
"places.sqlite"; although since you're missing some of your latest
bookmarks, then it may already be corrupt.  This page from the
Mozillazine knowledgebase may help in viewing the "places.sqlite" file:
 > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite

Sorry, no idea about where the customizations are kept.

It's been a very long time since I've had a problem with losing
bookmarks through version updates.  It may indicate a system or hard
drive problem.

AW

0
Annailis
10/4/2017 2:49:26 PM
Annailis wrote:
> On 2017-10-04 3:12 AM, Neil wrote:
>> I had Firefox 55.0.3 on my Windows 10 computer, and=20
>> allowed Firefox to update to v. 56.=C2=A0 When I opened=20
>> Firefox, all my bookmarks were missing, as were my=20
>> customizations.=C2=A0 I ran the Profile manager, and picked an=20
>> old profile, and the bookmarks of that profile appeared. =20
>> However, I would like to recover the bookmarks of the last=20
>> few days.=C2=A0 All of my add-ons were disabled for being=20
>> Legacy, so it seems to me that Firefox is already in Safe=20
>> Mode.=C2=A0 Is there anything I can do to recover the data from=20
>> my profile as of just before the update?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Neil
>>
> How old was the old profile and are you now using the old=20
> profile or your new "broken" profile?
>=20
> Firefox automatically backs up bookmarks in a ".jsonlz4"=20
> file every few days in a bookmarkbackups folder under your=20
> profile.=C2=A0 With any luck you will find one that covers those=20
> missing days of bookmarks (my last one was on October 1st so=20
> I couldn't use mine if I needed to recover anything I'd=20
> bookmarked since then).=C2=A0 You might be able to recover the=20
> sites from your history as well or "recently bookmarked" if=20
> that is still intact.
>=20
> The other place you could look in the "broken" profile is in=20
> "places.sqlite"; although since you're missing some of your=20
> latest bookmarks, then it may already be corrupt.=C2=A0 This page=20
> from the Mozillazine knowledgebase may help in viewing the=20
> "places.sqlite" file: > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite
>=20
> Sorry, no idea about where the customizations are kept.
>=20
> It's been a very long time since I've had a problem with=20
> losing bookmarks through version updates.=C2=A0 It may indicate a=20
> system or hard drive problem.
>=20
> AW
>=20
>=20
>=20

Annailis,

Thanks for the information.  The article you mentioned=20
suggested using "Show All Bookmarks" to restore from a=20
backup.  It turns out that I get no response when I try to=20
invoke "Show All Bookmarks", or when I try to create new=20
bookmarks.  However, I did try opening the Bookmark sidebar,=20
and all of my bookmarks are there.  Based on these responses=20
from Firefox, I wonder if the places.sqlite file is not=20
corrupt, but rather the update may have been defective.  I=20
am going to back up my profile, and reinstall Firefox, and=20
see what happens.  If that does not work, we'll know it's=20
the file.  In the meanwhile, if you have any other=20
suggestions or comments, I'd love to hear them.

Neil

0
Neil
10/4/2017 8:57:26 PM
Neil wrote:
> Annailis wrote:
>> On 2017-10-04 3:12 AM, Neil wrote:
>>> I had Firefox 55.0.3 on my Windows 10 computer, and=20
>>> allowed Firefox to update to v. 56.=C2=A0 When I opened=20
>>> Firefox, all my bookmarks were missing, as were my=20
>>> customizations.=C2=A0 I ran the Profile manager, and picked an=20
>>> old profile, and the bookmarks of that profile appeared.=20
>>> However, I would like to recover the bookmarks of the=20
>>> last few days.=C2=A0 All of my add-ons were disabled for being=20
>>> Legacy, so it seems to me that Firefox is already in Safe=20
>>> Mode.=C2=A0 Is there anything I can do to recover the data=20
>>> from my profile as of just before the update?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>> How old was the old profile and are you now using the old=20
>> profile or your new "broken" profile?
>>
>> Firefox automatically backs up bookmarks in a ".jsonlz4"=20
>> file every few days in a bookmarkbackups folder under your=20
>> profile.=C2=A0 With any luck you will find one that covers=20
>> those missing days of bookmarks (my last one was on=20
>> October 1st so I couldn't use mine if I needed to recover=20
>> anything I'd bookmarked since then).=C2=A0 You might be able to=20
>> recover the sites from your history as well or "recently=20
>> bookmarked" if that is still intact.
>>
>> The other place you could look in the "broken" profile is=20
>> in "places.sqlite"; although since you're missing some of=20
>> your latest bookmarks, then it may already be corrupt. =20
>> This page from the Mozillazine knowledgebase may help in=20
>> viewing the "places.sqlite" file: >=20
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite
>>
>> Sorry, no idea about where the customizations are kept.
>>
>> It's been a very long time since I've had a problem with=20
>> losing bookmarks through version updates.=C2=A0 It may indicate=20
>> a system or hard drive problem.
>>
>> AW
>>

>=20
> Annailis,
>=20
> Thanks for the information.=C2=A0 The article you mentioned=20
> suggested using "Show All Bookmarks" to restore from a=20
> backup.=C2=A0 It turns out that I get no response when I try to=20
> invoke "Show All Bookmarks", or when I try to create new=20
> bookmarks.=C2=A0 However, I did try opening the Bookmark sidebar,=20
> and all of my bookmarks are there.=C2=A0 Based on these responses=20
> from Firefox, I wonder if the places.sqlite file is not=20
> corrupt, but rather the update may have been defective.=C2=A0 I=20
> am going to back up my profile, and reinstall Firefox, and=20
> see what happens.=C2=A0 If that does not work, we'll know it's=20
> the file.=C2=A0 In the meanwhile, if you have any other=20
> suggestions or comments, I'd love to hear them.
>=20
> Neil
>=20

SOLVED
It seems the profile was corrupt.  Nothing changed when I=20
installed Firefox from scratch (except upgrading to 64-bit).=20
  I created a new profile and copies over the bookmark and=20
login files, and everything works.

0
Neil
10/4/2017 10:59:50 PM
On 2017-10-04 6:59 PM, Neil wrote:
> Neil wrote:

> SOLVED
> It seems the profile was corrupt.  Nothing changed when I installed
> Firefox from scratch (except upgrading to 64-bit).  I created a new
> profile and copies over the bookmark and login files, and everything works.

Glad the new profile worked out for you. Makes you wonder though what it
was in the profile that caused the problems.

AW

0
Annailis