Firefox 2.0.0.8 - Cannot connect to Internet

Also having problems with both Firefox and Thunderbird since the
recent updates. Uninstalled both completely, cleared all settings,
clear cache and other happy stuff. Reinstalled FF 2.0.0.8 and still
can't connect to the net. Machine is Dell M50 with WinXP Pro SP2.

I fired up Wireshark to see what was happening and for some reason
Firefox is causing a broadcast on the LAN instead of connecting to the
Internet. My setup here is a bit different than a simple plug into a
low-end NAT "router" in that I have my LAN connected to a Cisco 1720
and Catalyst 2950 doing VLANs (dot1q) and my client/business associate
in the first floor office area is on a different LAN but is also
connected via the 1720 with one port on the Catalyst handling the
connection to her LAN. The Internet connection is on her lan using a
basic NAT box and I have my default gateway setup as the address of
the 1720's interface on my LAN with the router address on her LAN as
the default gateway of the router. As the cheapo NAT box connecting to
the Internet only runs RIP 1/2 it's set for RIPv2 as is the Cisco 1720
and the Linux server.

Key Cisco config items are:

router rip
version 2
network <my lan ip>
network <associates lan ip>
no auto-summary

! My Linux nameserver
ip name-server <ip of  my Linux box on my LAN>
! An external nameserver in the Pittsburgh area.
ip name-server 209.166.161.120

! Default route from "sh ip route" output
S*   0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via <router interface IP on my associates LAN>

Everything has worked just dandy for a long time (about 5 years now)
and everything but Firefox 2.0.0.8 still does work. I run both DNS and
DHCP on my Linux server on my LAN and likewise all is fine.

When I try to start Firefox and go to Google.com Wireshark shows
everything else (DNS etc) communicating as expected but Firefox
instead of getting the IP address for Google from the internal (or
external) DNS starts broadcasting for www.google.com on the LAN.

>From command line "route print" shows all's happy and key items in
both LANs are pingable with instant response as are Internet
addressess such as google.com

With all other Internet access working justa' fine one has to assume
that there's something different in lastest release that isn't playing
nice OR a setting that needs tweaked. Any ideas beyond the usual clear
cache etc. most appreciated. (No firewalls blocking etc - all checked)

Couldn't find any thing even close to this via a Google search.

TIA!

Cheers!

Mike Shafer
Shafer Consulting
Pittsburgh, PA
www.its-secured.com

1
mbshafer
10/23/2007 6:56:24 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23681 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

mbshafer wrote:
> Also having problems with both Firefox and Thunderbird since the
> recent updates. Uninstalled both completely, cleared all settings,
> clear cache and other happy stuff. Reinstalled FF 2.0.0.8 and still
> can't connect to the net. Machine is Dell M50 with WinXP Pro SP2.
>
> I fired up Wireshark to see what was happening and for some reason
> Firefox is causing a broadcast on the LAN instead of connecting to the
> Internet. My setup here is a bit different than a simple plug into a
> low-end NAT "router" in that I have my LAN connected to a Cisco 1720
> and Catalyst 2950 doing VLANs (dot1q) and my client/business associate
> in the first floor office area is on a different LAN but is also
> connected via the 1720 with one port on the Catalyst handling the
> connection to her LAN. The Internet connection is on her lan using a
> basic NAT box and I have my default gateway setup as the address of
> the 1720's interface on my LAN with the router address on her LAN as
> the default gateway of the router. As the cheapo NAT box connecting to
> the Internet only runs RIP 1/2 it's set for RIPv2 as is the Cisco 1720
> and the Linux server.
>
> Key Cisco config items are:
>
> router rip
> version 2
> network <my lan ip>
> network <associates lan ip>
> no auto-summary
>
> ! My Linux nameserver
> ip name-server <ip of  my Linux box on my LAN>
> ! An external nameserver in the Pittsburgh area.
> ip name-server 209.166.161.120
>
> ! Default route from "sh ip route" output
> S*   0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via <router interface IP on my associates LAN>
>
> Everything has worked just dandy for a long time (about 5 years now)
> and everything but Firefox 2.0.0.8 still does work. I run both DNS and
> DHCP on my Linux server on my LAN and likewise all is fine.
>
> When I try to start Firefox and go to Google.com Wireshark shows
> everything else (DNS etc) communicating as expected but Firefox
> instead of getting the IP address for Google from the internal (or
> external) DNS starts broadcasting for www.google.com on the LAN.
>
>>From command line "route print" shows all's happy and key items in
> both LANs are pingable with instant response as are Internet
> addressess such as google.com
>
> With all other Internet access working justa' fine one has to assume
> that there's something different in lastest release that isn't playing
> nice OR a setting that needs tweaked. Any ideas beyond the usual clear
> cache etc. most appreciated. (No firewalls blocking etc - all checked)
>
> Couldn't find any thing even close to this via a Google search.

close the programs, open your firewall, and remove any and
all settings for Firefox and Thunderbird.  Restart the
programs.  Do they connect now?

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
1
Peter

Web resources about - Firefox 2.0.0.8 - Cannot connect to Internet - mozilla.support.firefox

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

The most hated people on the internet in 2015: where are they now?
Scarcely a month went by in 2015 without the christening of some new 'most hated' person: whether 'pharmabro' Martin Shrelki or cancer-faking ...

These Google-owned robotic reindeer are freaking out the Internet
Google in recent years has bought up a lot of different robotics firms and one of the most impressive of the bunch is Boston Dynamics, which ...

The internet is full of Christmas day hoverboard injuries
Despite the recent epidemic of explosions , hoverboards were the hot holiday gift this year. And on Christmas, the internet was full of photos ...

Can you spot the panda? The latest Internet obsession
Not since #TheDress has a picture driven the Internet so crazy