Firefox 2.0.0.8 - Cannot connect to Internet

Also having problems with both Firefox and Thunderbird since the
recent updates. Uninstalled both completely, cleared all settings,
clear cache and other happy stuff. Reinstalled FF 2.0.0.8 and still
can't connect to the net. Machine is Dell M50 with WinXP Pro SP2.

I fired up Wireshark to see what was happening and for some reason
Firefox is causing a broadcast on the LAN instead of connecting to the
Internet. My setup here is a bit different than a simple plug into a
low-end NAT "router" in that I have my LAN connected to a Cisco 1720
and Catalyst 2950 doing VLANs (dot1q) and my client/business associate
in the first floor office area is on a different LAN but is also
connected via the 1720 with one port on the Catalyst handling the
connection to her LAN. The Internet connection is on her lan using a
basic NAT box and I have my default gateway setup as the address of
the 1720's interface on my LAN with the router address on her LAN as
the default gateway of the router. As the cheapo NAT box connecting to
the Internet only runs RIP 1/2 it's set for RIPv2 as is the Cisco 1720
and the Linux server.

Key Cisco config items are:

router rip
version 2
network <my lan ip>
network <associates lan ip>
no auto-summary

! My Linux nameserver
ip name-server <ip of  my Linux box on my LAN>
! An external nameserver in the Pittsburgh area.
ip name-server 209.166.161.120

! Default route from "sh ip route" output
S*   0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via <router interface IP on my associates LAN>

Everything has worked just dandy for a long time (about 5 years now)
and everything but Firefox 2.0.0.8 still does work. I run both DNS and
DHCP on my Linux server on my LAN and likewise all is fine.

When I try to start Firefox and go to Google.com Wireshark shows
everything else (DNS etc) communicating as expected but Firefox
instead of getting the IP address for Google from the internal (or
external) DNS starts broadcasting for www.google.com on the LAN.

>From command line "route print" shows all's happy and key items in
both LANs are pingable with instant response as are Internet
addressess such as google.com

With all other Internet access working justa' fine one has to assume
that there's something different in lastest release that isn't playing
nice OR a setting that needs tweaked. Any ideas beyond the usual clear
cache etc. most appreciated. (No firewalls blocking etc - all checked)

Couldn't find any thing even close to this via a Google search.

TIA!

Cheers!

Mike Shafer
Shafer Consulting
Pittsburgh, PA
www.its-secured.com

1
mbshafer
10/23/2007 6:56:24 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23488 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

mbshafer wrote:
> Also having problems with both Firefox and Thunderbird since the
> recent updates. Uninstalled both completely, cleared all settings,
> clear cache and other happy stuff. Reinstalled FF 2.0.0.8 and still
> can't connect to the net. Machine is Dell M50 with WinXP Pro SP2.
>
> I fired up Wireshark to see what was happening and for some reason
> Firefox is causing a broadcast on the LAN instead of connecting to the
> Internet. My setup here is a bit different than a simple plug into a
> low-end NAT "router" in that I have my LAN connected to a Cisco 1720
> and Catalyst 2950 doing VLANs (dot1q) and my client/business associate
> in the first floor office area is on a different LAN but is also
> connected via the 1720 with one port on the Catalyst handling the
> connection to her LAN. The Internet connection is on her lan using a
> basic NAT box and I have my default gateway setup as the address of
> the 1720's interface on my LAN with the router address on her LAN as
> the default gateway of the router. As the cheapo NAT box connecting to
> the Internet only runs RIP 1/2 it's set for RIPv2 as is the Cisco 1720
> and the Linux server.
>
> Key Cisco config items are:
>
> router rip
> version 2
> network <my lan ip>
> network <associates lan ip>
> no auto-summary
>
> ! My Linux nameserver
> ip name-server <ip of  my Linux box on my LAN>
> ! An external nameserver in the Pittsburgh area.
> ip name-server 209.166.161.120
>
> ! Default route from "sh ip route" output
> S*   0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via <router interface IP on my associates LAN>
>
> Everything has worked just dandy for a long time (about 5 years now)
> and everything but Firefox 2.0.0.8 still does work. I run both DNS and
> DHCP on my Linux server on my LAN and likewise all is fine.
>
> When I try to start Firefox and go to Google.com Wireshark shows
> everything else (DNS etc) communicating as expected but Firefox
> instead of getting the IP address for Google from the internal (or
> external) DNS starts broadcasting for www.google.com on the LAN.
>
>>From command line "route print" shows all's happy and key items in
> both LANs are pingable with instant response as are Internet
> addressess such as google.com
>
> With all other Internet access working justa' fine one has to assume
> that there's something different in lastest release that isn't playing
> nice OR a setting that needs tweaked. Any ideas beyond the usual clear
> cache etc. most appreciated. (No firewalls blocking etc - all checked)
>
> Couldn't find any thing even close to this via a Google search.

close the programs, open your firewall, and remove any and
all settings for Firefox and Thunderbird.  Restart the
programs.  Do they connect now?

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
1
Peter

Firefox XP 2.0.0.8 ubuntu 2.0.0.6. Why?
I am using XP and Ubuntu 7.10. In both operating system I am using the same profile. (Symbolic link to XP partition). However, due to the difference in versions Firefox always start with a addon check. So why is Ubuntu not on version 2.0.0.8. That would solve this problem. Arjen On 10/22/2007 3:03 PM, Arjen Meijer wrote: > I am using XP and Ubuntu 7.10. In both operating system I am using the > same profile. > (Symbolic link to XP partition). > > However, due to the difference in versions Firefox always start with a > addon check. > > So why is U...

in Firefox 2.0.0.6 Firefox 2.0.0.3 is still downloading under Help
Name: Marika Email: controlatrocketpropdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: in Firefox 2.0.0.6 Firefox 2.0.0.3 is still downloading under Help Comments: Circle spinning next to Downloading Firefox 2.0.0.3 but Firefox 2.0.0.6 has been downloaded and installed. MacBook (Intel)Boot Camp installation WinXP Pro SP2 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6 ...

Firefox 2.0.0.13, 3.0b5 - Sunbird 0.8
Name: Paul Pazdera Email: pazderaattelusdotnet Product: Mozilla Suite Summary: Firefox 2.0.0.13, 3.0b5 - Sunbird 0.8 - Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 Comments: allow this option to show dates - thanks! Date representation to International Standard ISO 8601 YYYY.MM.DD or YYYMMDD e.g.: 2008.04.16 or 20080416 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601 It isn't perhaps one of the most widely adopted of international standards, but for anyone working with date formats that need to be quickly parsed and sorted by computer, it's the best. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0...

XForms 0.8.0.2 release not working on linux firefox 2.0.0.4
Hi, I just upgraded the xforms to 0.8.0.2 from 0.8.0.1 on firefox (linux) 2.0.0.4. All xhtml pages stopped rendering. Is this the issue with the new release or I should look something into my code. Thanx for help in advance. -regards, Piyush A problem also on Mac OS X version 0.8.0.2. It doesn't install not valid hash file (probably corrupted download). -261 On 5 Lug, 13:49, Piyush <piyush.sin...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I just upgraded the xforms to 0.8.0.2 from 0.8.0.1 on firefox (linux) > 2.0.0.4. All xhtml pages stopped rendering. &g...

Problems with new FireFox 2.0.0.5 and 0.8.0.2 XForms extension
Hi all, We are running the 0.8.0.2 extension and are having problems with the new FireFox 2.0.0.5 that just came out. It looks like instance documents are not loading on the Windows platform. Is anyone else having problems with this? Thanks - Dan It won't work. We added support for current() which means changes to XPath which means that any interaction in xforms that requires xpath will fail (almost all of them if you consider binding, etc). --Aaron Dan McCreary wrote: > Hi all, > > We are running the 0.8.0.2 extension and are having problems with th...

Buggy firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3
Name: badidea Email: very_bad_ideaathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Buggy firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 Comments: I don't know what changed since 2.0.0.1 but the new releases (2.0.0.2, 2.0.0.3) seem very buggy. Random crashes, slow responses and additionally problems with administrator rights. I had similar problems on 2 out of 2 systems. Best solution for me (and probably a lot of other users) is to go back to 2.0.0.1 and disable automatic update. Success! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2....

I like firefox 2.0.0.0 better than 2.0.0.1
Name: tsit chan Email: chantsitathkbndotnet Product: Firefox Summary: I like firefox 2.0.0.0 better than 2.0.0.1 Comments: 2.0.0.1 version allows minimized pages pop up when open multi- tabs in one page ,until this fixed i prefer 2.0.0.0 before any new release. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 ...

Firefox 2.0 vs Firefox 1.5.0.8
Name: Roberto Email: robertodealvarez_at_hotmail.com Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 2.0 vs Firefox 1.5.0.8 Comments: First, excuse me for my english. I have tested the last Firefox 2.0 and wanted to know the way to see all links from a Website in the same sheet. I've now installed 1.5.0.8 and it runs easy. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8 ...

Firefox version 2.0.0.3 is being updated to 2.0.0.2?
Name: Russell Nelson Email: rnelsonatgenedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox version 2.0.0.3 is being updated to 2.0.0.2? Comments: I am currently using a version of Firefox with the version number of 2.0.0.3. This is the second time that I have been told that it has now been updated to a newer version of Firefox with a version number of 2.0.0.2. I assume that 2.0.0.3 is newer (and better) than version 2.0.0.2. How can I stop this "update"? Russ Nelson 650-225-7212 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070...

firefox 2.0.0.8 #2
Name: Donald H. Burger Email: barbdonathawaiianteldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 2.0.0.8 Comments: I have been operating Firefox 2.0.0.7 on my computer with the Windows XP operating system and the Comodo Firewall Pro. Several days ago when 2.0.0.8 was released I downloaded it and it crashed every time I tried to use it, so I went back to 2.0.0.7, which works fine. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7 ...

Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Firefox 1.5.0.10 Security and Stability Update
As part of Mozilla Corporation=92s ongoing stability and security =20 update process, Firefox 1.5.0.10 and Firefox 2.0.0.2 are now available for Windows, =20 Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com (http://www.getfirefox.com). Due to the security fixes, we strongly recommend that all Firefox =20 users upgrade to these latest releases. Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability =20 updates until April 24, 2007. All users are encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 2 (http://www.getfirefox.com). Firefox 1.5.0.10 is available for =20 download from ...

Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Firefox 1.5.0.10 Security and Stability Update
As part of Mozilla Corporation=92s ongoing stability and security =20 update process, Firefox 1.5.0.10 and Firefox 2.0.0.2 are now available for Windows, =20 Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com (http://www.getfirefox.com). Due to the security fixes, we strongly recommend that all Firefox =20 users upgrade to these latest releases. Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability =20 updates until April 24, 2007. All users are encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 2 (http://www.getfirefox.com). Firefox 1.5.0.10 is available for =20 download from ...

firefox 2.0.0.8 #2
Name: Aaron Email: amaltstadt_5atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: firefox 2.0.0.8 Comments: so this new update doesnt want to work at all.... ive had to do a system restore 3 times and soon to be a fourth because i forgot to disable the automatic update... in short, when i try to connect to the internet via wireless or Ethernet any website i go to acts as if i am not connected to the internet and i see 'page cannot be displayed' and 'are you sure you are connected to the internet' this problem needs to be fixed Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows...

Firefox 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.4
In order to fix a small number of serious regressions, we are looking to do a very quick 2.0.0.3/1.5.0.11 release to pick up some fixes for recent regressions. 2.0.0.4/1.5.0.12 will be the next regular security/stability releases. 2.0.0.3 blockers https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi? keywords_type=nowords&keywords=fixed1.8.1.3 +verified1.8.1.3&field0-0-0=flagtypes.name&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=b locking1.8.1.3%2B&order=map_assigned_to.login_name,bugs.bug_id We are going to be looking at nominations over the next few days, based on the follo...

Web resources about - Firefox 2.0.0.8 - Cannot connect to Internet - mozilla.support.firefox

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

The most hated people on the internet in 2015: where are they now?
Scarcely a month went by in 2015 without the christening of some new 'most hated' person: whether 'pharmabro' Martin Shrelki or cancer-faking ...

These Google-owned robotic reindeer are freaking out the Internet
Google in recent years has bought up a lot of different robotics firms and one of the most impressive of the bunch is Boston Dynamics, which ...

The internet is full of Christmas day hoverboard injuries
Despite the recent epidemic of explosions , hoverboards were the hot holiday gift this year. And on Christmas, the internet was full of photos ...

Can you spot the panda? The latest Internet obsession
Not since #TheDress has a picture driven the Internet so crazy