FF56 not installed

.....because too many problems with 55.0.3, none of which happen with IE11 on
my W8.1 Pro box.

I started running both of those simultaneously, and there are an increasing
number of websites that won't work correctly with FF but are ok with IE11.
If I try FF56(?), it will have to be a clean install in hopes that 55.0.3
was just corrupted.

Seem to be wasting too much time constantly trying to fix and get FF working
again. Might be near EOL for FF for me. Is it just me, or is FF losing
reliability as a browser?

Suggestions appreciated...

0
HoneyBun
10/4/2017 1:02:50 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24032 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

Am 04.10.2017 um 15:02 schrieb HoneyBun:
> ....because too many problems with 55.0.3, none of which happen with IE11 on
> my W8.1 Pro box.
>
> I started running both of those simultaneously, and there are an increasing
> number of websites that won't work correctly with FF but are ok with IE11.
> If I try FF56(?), it will have to be a clean install in hopes that 55.0.3
> was just corrupted.

I haven't come across a website which does not work with FF (55/56).

--
Torsten Villnow
0
On 10/4/17 9:02 AM, HoneyBun wrote:
> ....because too many problems with 55.0.3, none of which happen with IE11 on
> my W8.1 Pro box.
>
> I started running both of those simultaneously, and there are an increasing
> number of websites that won't work correctly with FF but are ok with IE11.
> If I try FF56(?), it will have to be a clean install in hopes that 55.0.3
> was just corrupted.
>
> Seem to be wasting too much time constantly trying to fix and get FF working
> again. Might be near EOL for FF for me. Is it just me, or is FF losing
> reliability as a browser?
>
> Suggestions appreciated...

Restart Firefox in Safe Mode.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode>

If that doesn't help.

Refresh Firefox

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings>

Then install 56.0

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
On 10/4/2017 9:02 AM, HoneyBun wrote:
> ....because too many problems with 55.0.3, none of which happen with IE11 on
> my W8.1 Pro box.
>
> I started running both of those simultaneously, and there are an increasing
> number of websites that won't work correctly with FF but are ok with IE11.
> If I try FF56(?), it will have to be a clean install in hopes that 55.0.3
> was just corrupted.
>
> Seem to be wasting too much time constantly trying to fix and get FF working
> again. Might be near EOL for FF for me. Is it just me, or is FF losing
> reliability as a browser?
>
> Suggestions appreciated...

Care to name the websites? I haven't found any that are totally broken
although some are so badly designed and coded that they do a few odd things
when rendered in a standards-supporting browser.
0
John
10/4/2017 3:44:04 PM
HoneyBun wrote:

> ....because too many problems with 55.0.3, none of which happen with IE11 on
> my W8.1 Pro box.
>
> I started running both of those simultaneously, and there are an increasing
> number of websites that won't work correctly with FF but are ok with IE11.
> If I try FF56(?), it will have to be a clean install in hopes that 55.0.3
> was just corrupted.
>
> Seem to be wasting too much time constantly trying to fix and get FF working
> again. Might be near EOL for FF for me. Is it just me, or is FF losing
> reliability as a browser?
>
> Suggestions appreciated...

Disable ALL add-ons in Firefox, restart Firefox, make sure it completely
exited (check Task Manager's Processes tab), and retest.

Load Firefox in its safe mode and retest.

Try a new profile in Firefox (create one using "firefox.exe -p" and
select as the default, or do a Refresh using Help -> Troubleshooting)
and retest.

If a web site persistently fails to work properly with Firefox, provide
a URL to the web site so OTHERS can test.  Obviously if the problem are
with pages that require a login then likely no one else can test those
pages, so pick a problematic site not requiring logging in, give the URL
to its site, and possible provide the navigation within the site if it
doesn't like direct URL access to the page.
0
VanguardLH
10/4/2017 5:33:43 PM
"HoneyBun" <sweet@as.silk> wrote in message

> [snip]

now better isolated & defined as: problems with...
FF v55.0.3 (x86 en-US) EME-free, 9/11/2017
in W8.1Pro at immortalchess.net

I'm a veteran FF user. I visit the same sites frequently so notice glitches
immediately. I can usually fix them but not in this case. Problem started a
few days ago, and I didn't do anything to cause it, afaik. Updates are set
to manual.

Invoking FF Safe Mode does not prevent it, but an add-on gets involved in a
new strange way (Adblock Plus). Another possibility is a silent feed from
Mozilla(?) of which I'm unaware. I must also wonder if FF has been
hijacked(?).

Here's my currrent FF add-ons. Most are active, a few disabled:
Active: WOT (Web of Trust), S3.Google Translator, Classic Theme Restorer,
Adblock Plus, Flagfox, Navigational Sounds, Blacken
Disabled: Flashblock, User Agent Overrider, anonymoX
Only WOT appears without the "Legacy" tag. All work OK afaik, except...

I suspect a problem with FF/Adblock Plus because of a strange new cookie
containing "Adblock:EasyList", plus another strange cookie with
"Mozilla+long hash number". The normal cookie is named immortalchess.net,
which I've always seen in the past. I monitor regularly with CCleaner.

The website works generally ok after login with FF, but certain user
settings fail to stick. Also login behavior is a bit different with a new
small FF popup warning that it is not a https site. The same website
produces a normal cookie with IE11, and everything functions ok.

I don't have a convenient system restore point. So best chance for a quick
fix seems to be to refresh current FF version or roll back to a prior
version. Which one? I want to fix this before considering FF56.

Thanks!

0
HoneyBun
10/5/2017 10:26:40 AM
On 10/5/17 6:26 AM, HoneyBun wrote:
> "HoneyBun" <sweet@as.silk> wrote in message
>
>> [snip]
>
> now better isolated & defined as: problems with...
> FF v55.0.3 (x86 en-US) EME-free, 9/11/2017
> in W8.1Pro at immortalchess.net
>
> I'm a veteran FF user. I visit the same sites frequently so notice glitches
> immediately. I can usually fix them but not in this case. Problem started a
> few days ago, and I didn't do anything to cause it, afaik. Updates are set
> to manual.
>
> Invoking FF Safe Mode does not prevent it, but an add-on gets involved in a
> new strange way (Adblock Plus). Another possibility is a silent feed from
> Mozilla(?) of which I'm unaware. I must also wonder if FF has been
> hijacked(?).
>
> Here's my currrent FF add-ons. Most are active, a few disabled:
> Active: WOT (Web of Trust), S3.Google Translator, Classic Theme Restorer,
> Adblock Plus, Flagfox, Navigational Sounds, Blacken
> Disabled: Flashblock, User Agent Overrider, anonymoX
> Only WOT appears without the "Legacy" tag. All work OK afaik, except...
>
> I suspect a problem with FF/Adblock Plus because of a strange new cookie
> containing "Adblock:EasyList", plus another strange cookie with
> "Mozilla+long hash number". The normal cookie is named immortalchess.net,
> which I've always seen in the past. I monitor regularly with CCleaner.
>
> The website works generally ok after login with FF, but certain user
> settings fail to stick. Also login behavior is a bit different with a new
> small FF popup warning that it is not a https site. The same website
> produces a normal cookie with IE11, and everything functions ok.
>
> I don't have a convenient system restore point. So best chance for a quick
> fix seems to be to refresh current FF version or roll back to a prior
> version. Which one? I want to fix this before considering FF56.
>
> Thanks!

Refresh.

You can't use the current profile with older versions of Firefox.

<https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/you-cannot-downgrade-firefox-55-profiles/>

--
Go Steelers, Pitt and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
10/5/2017 2:07:49 PM
On 2017-10-05 6:26 AM, HoneyBun wrote:
> "HoneyBun" <sweet@as.silk> wrote in message
>
>> [snip]
>
> now better isolated & defined as: problems with...
> FF v55.0.3 (x86 en-US) EME-free, 9/11/2017
> in W8.1Pro at immortalchess.net
>
> I'm a veteran FF user. I visit the same sites frequently so notice glitches
> immediately. I can usually fix them but not in this case. Problem started a
> few days ago, and I didn't do anything to cause it, afaik. Updates are set
> to manual.
>
> Invoking FF Safe Mode does not prevent it, but an add-on gets involved in a
> new strange way (Adblock Plus). Another possibility is a silent feed from
> Mozilla(?) of which I'm unaware. I must also wonder if FF has been
> hijacked(?).
>
> Here's my currrent FF add-ons. Most are active, a few disabled:
> Active: WOT (Web of Trust), S3.Google Translator, Classic Theme Restorer,
> Adblock Plus, Flagfox, Navigational Sounds, Blacken
> Disabled: Flashblock, User Agent Overrider, anonymoX
> Only WOT appears without the "Legacy" tag. All work OK afaik, except...
>
> I suspect a problem with FF/Adblock Plus because of a strange new cookie
> containing "Adblock:EasyList", plus another strange cookie with
> "Mozilla+long hash number". The normal cookie is named immortalchess.net,
> which I've always seen in the past. I monitor regularly with CCleaner.
>
> The website works generally ok after login with FF, but certain user
> settings fail to stick. Also login behavior is a bit different with a new
> small FF popup warning that it is not a https site. The same website
> produces a normal cookie with IE11, and everything functions ok.
>
> I don't have a convenient system restore point. So best chance for a quick
> fix seems to be to refresh current FF version or roll back to a prior
> version. Which one? I want to fix this before considering FF56.

Generally speaking, you could use uBlock Origin instead of Adblock Plus,
or subscribe to a different set of filters in ABP.

In order to be able to provide better help, I think the folks in here
are going to need more specific information.
Can you provide screenshots of websites that are not rendering properly?
Can you tell us which settings are being reset?
While we're at it, we'll need some more info about your Firefox setup.
Click the menu button, then click the Help icon [?] at the bottom of the
menu, and select Troubleshooting Information, then click [Copy text to
Clipboard]. Open a reply to this post, and go to Edit-->Paste to paste
the info from your Troubleshooting Information page.

The login warning on non-https sites was introduced in version 52.
See
<https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2017/01/20/communicating-the-dangers-of-non-secure-http/>,
and a funny story at
<https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/firefox-gets-complaint-for-labeling-unencrypted-login-page-insecure/>