FF 52.0.2 Drag-Drop url on Bookmarks Toolbar... no longer stores the url

FF 52.0.2 Drag-Drop url on Bookmarks Toolbar... no longer stores the url.

I have two profiles that I use from time to time.
The drag/drop location bar is normal. I can place it on the raw bar, or
in a sub-folder.  Behavior is the same. Bookmark is not stored.

Both fail the same way.
It was fine late last evening.

I don't have any idea how to approach troubleshooting this
0
Kingdaddy
1/13/2018 12:45:40 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24285 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

On 1/12/18 7:45 PM, Kingdaddy wrote:
> FF 52.0.2 Drag-Drop url on Bookmarks Toolbar... no longer stores the url.
>
> I have two profiles that I use from time to time.
> The drag/drop location bar is normal. I can place it on the raw bar,
> or in a sub-folder.  Behavior is the same. Bookmark is not stored.
>

> Both fail the same way.
> It was fine late last evening.
>
> I don't have any idea how to approach troubleshooting this

What changed after last evening?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-and-diagnose-firefox-problems?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Basic+Troubleshooting

0
WaltS48
1/13/2018 12:53:36 AM
On 1/12/18 7:45 PM, Kingdaddy wrote:
> FF 52.0.2 Drag-Drop url on Bookmarks Toolbar... no longer stores the url.
>
> I have two profiles that I use from time to time.
> The drag/drop location bar is normal. I can place it on the raw bar,
> or in a sub-folder.  Behavior is the same. Bookmark is not stored.
>

> Both fail the same way.
> It was fine late last evening.
>
> I don't have any idea how to approach troubleshooting this

You also might want to update to the current 52.5.3. I think 52.6.0 is
due out soon.

0
WaltS48
1/13/2018 1:06:57 AM
On 1/12/2018 7:53 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 1/12/18 7:45 PM, Kingdaddy wrote:
>> FF 52.0.2 Drag-Drop url on Bookmarks Toolbar... no longer stores the url.
>>
>> I have two profiles that I use from time to time.
>> The drag/drop location bar is normal. I can place it on the raw bar,
>> or in a sub-folder.  Behavior is the same. Bookmark is not stored.
>>

>> Both fail the same way.
>> It was fine late last evening.
>>
>> I don't have any idea how to approach troubleshooting this
>
> What changed after last evening?
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-and-diagnose-firefox-problems?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Basic+Troubleshooting

Okay, don't know if relavent.
I normally run for 2 weeks or so without a reboot.

Uaarly this AM, power hit rebooted my systems.
This one is Windows 7.

I have 4 profiles, two of which have not been used for probably a year
or more.

They fail too.   but now all 4 profiles seem to have lost "All
Bookmarks".  History for all is on showing only today.

What is common for all profiles?

Carl

Nonstandard: Me
0
Kingdaddy
1/13/2018 1:18:09 AM
On 1/12/2018 8:18 PM, Kingdaddy wrote:
> On 1/12/2018 7:53 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 1/12/18 7:45 PM, Kingdaddy wrote:
>>> FF 52.0.2 Drag-Drop url on Bookmarks Toolbar... no longer stores the
>>> url.
>>>
>>> I have two profiles that I use from time to time.
>>> The drag/drop location bar is normal. I can place it on the raw bar,
>>> or in a sub-folder.  Behavior is the same. Bookmark is not stored.
>>>

>>> Both fail the same way.
>>> It was fine late last evening.
>>>
>>> I don't have any idea how to approach troubleshooting this
>>
>> What changed after last evening?
>>
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-and-diagnose-firefox-problems?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Basic+Troubleshooting
>>

> Okay, don't know if relavent.
> I normally run for 2 weeks or so without a reboot.
>
> Uaarly this AM, power hit rebooted my systems.
> This one is Windows 7.
>
> I have 4 profiles, two of which have not been used for probably a year
> or more.
>
> They fail too.   but now all 4 profiles seem to have lost "All
> Bookmarks".  History for all is on showing only today.
>
> What is common for all profiles?
>
> Carl
>

> Nonstandard: Me

I found an aged JSON backup that works, so now I have something to work
with.
0
Kingdaddy
1/13/2018 1:48:54 AM
On 1/12/2018 7:45 PM, Kingdaddy wrote:
> FF 52.0.2 Drag-Drop url on Bookmarks Toolbar... no longer stores the url.
>
> I have two profiles that I use from time to time.
> The drag/drop location bar is normal. I can place it on the raw bar, or
> in a sub-folder.  Behavior is the same. Bookmark is not stored.
>

> Both fail the same way.
> It was fine late last evening.
>
> I don't have any idea how to approach troubleshooting this

Lots of trials.
I am convinced that the actual "bookmark files: used by the browse is
WRITE PROTECTED.   (?!)
Symptoms.
I can not Backup the bookmarks to a bookmarks.json  It seems to go well,
no errors, but the file does not get created.
	An older, working json restored... works fine.

Ditto for html.
Import a the aged, good bookmarks.html and it is fine.
I can export okay.

But the bookmarks files that were "my production bookmarks", can not
save new url.  "Add Bookmarks" will not save the url!

So exactly what is it that is "write protected"?

places.sqlite is not Read Only!

Carl
0
Kingdaddy