FAKE Firefox update screens (Javascript)

While scrolling thru news stories,
I seem to be encountering more and more
of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.

I don't click on anything - and just CLOSE the entire browser.
I'm guessing these get placed by bogus website ads,
which in turn get displayed, which in turn pull up the decoy screen...

Of course the URL is gibberish -
so hard to catch or filter these in any useful way
0
PS56k
3/17/2017 9:10:05 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23682 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

PS56k wrote:
> While scrolling thru news stories,
> I seem to be encountering more and more
> of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.
>
> I don't click on anything - and just CLOSE the entire browser.
> I'm guessing these get placed by bogus website ads,
> which in turn get displayed, which in turn pull up the decoy screen...
>
> Of course the URL is gibberish -
> so hard to catch or filter these in any useful way

Interesting.
I have never yet seen one.
I have Bluhell Firewall and uBlock Origin installed.
JS is on and rarely turn it off.
Also have the built in pop up blockers turned on.
0
Paul
3/17/2017 10:18:13 PM
On 03/17/2017 02:10 PM, PS56k wrote:

> I seem to be encountering more and more
> of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.

  Have you tried the NoScript add-on? It blocks sites that deliver
Javascript; it lets you to decide which sites to allow. Ad delivery
sites are usually easy to detect just from their domain name.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
On 2017-03-17 5:10 PM, PS56k wrote:
> While scrolling thru news stories,
> I seem to be encountering more and more
> of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.
>
> I don't click on anything - and just CLOSE the entire browser.
> I'm guessing these get placed by bogus website ads,
> which in turn get displayed, which in turn pull up the decoy screen...
>
> Of course the URL is gibberish -
> so hard to catch or filter these in any useful way

This article should help:
https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Problems-with-add-ons-plugins-or/I-found-a-fake-Firefox-update/ta-p/37696

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 3/18/2017 2:35 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2017-03-17 5:10 PM, PS56k wrote:
>> While scrolling thru news stories,
>> I seem to be encountering more and more
>> of the FAKE Firefox update (javascript) screens.
>>
>> I don't click on anything - and just CLOSE the entire browser.
>> I'm guessing these get placed by bogus website ads,
>> which in turn get displayed, which in turn pull up the decoy screen...
>>
>> Of course the URL is gibberish -
>> so hard to catch or filter these in any useful way
>
> This article should help:
> https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Problems-with-add-ons-plugins-or/I-found-a-fake-Firefox-update/ta-p/37696

ok - just downloaded and installed the addon - AdBlock Plus

0
PS56k