Extensive delays in Firefox Android regional distribution

I use several browsers on Android for testing and curiosity purposes, and I=
 have noticed that Firefox updates always come really late in my country (F=
inland) from Google Play Store. For example, version 60 update came to my d=
evice 3 weeks after the initial release. I have experienced this with every=
 release at least from version 57 onward, or at least that's when I started=
 paying attention to the issue.

Auto-updates are enabled. Manual update checking did not help. In contrast,=
 browsers based on Chromium update very soon after the release date in my r=
egion, usually the same day.

Has anyone else here had the same problem? If so, where are you located? Do=
 you have any ideas what might be causing this?
0
Julius
7/1/2018 9:29:42 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24308 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

In message
<mailman.1251.1530453874.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Julius
Karppi <julius.karppi@gmail.com> writes:
>I use several browsers on Android for testing and curiosity purposes,
>and I have noticed that Firefox updates always come really late in my
>country (Finland) from Google Play Store. For example, version 60
>update came to my device 3 weeks after the initial release. I have
>experienced this with every release at least from version 57 onward, or
>at least that's when I started paying attention to the issue.
>
>Auto-updates are enabled. Manual update checking did not help. In
>contrast, browsers based on Chromium update very soon after the release
>date in my region, usually the same day.
>
>Has anyone else here had the same problem? If so, where are you
>located? Do you have any ideas what might be causing this?

Do you use the us-english version, the uk-english version, or the
Finnish version? if the last, I would guess that maybe the
translation-to-Finnish resource is limited. if you use the us-english
version, then I can't think why it should be slow for you.

As the man said when confronted by a large dinner salad, "This isn't food.
This is what food eats."
On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 02:29:42 -0700, Julius Karppi wrote:

> I use several browsers on Android for testing and curiosity purposes,
> and I have noticed that Firefox updates always come really late in my
> country (Finland) from Google Play Store. For example, version 60 update
> came to my device 3 weeks after the initial release. I have experienced
> this with every release at least from version 57 onward, or at least
> that's when I started paying attention to the issue.
>
> Auto-updates are enabled. Manual update checking did not help. In
> contrast, browsers based on Chromium update very soon after the release
> date in my region, usually the same day.
>
> Has anyone else here had the same problem? If so, where are you located?
> Do you have any ideas what might be causing this?

<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Channels/Meetings/2018-06-28>
says it's held at  25% while investigation in bug 1468541 continues.

Same happened with 60.0 - I asked about it here. I finally got 60.0.1
after 10 days. That was the first time that a release had been noticeably
delayed for me (I'm in the UK).

G-Play does have the ability to release and region so it's possible that
Mozilla make use of that for some reason. But perhaps it's just the
result of the time-of-day that Mozilla makes a release, or increases the
percentage, and when your device - or Google's Finnish servers - check
for the availability of updates. Just guessing.

You could just install the APK from Mozilla's website. That's what I do
on my (Finnish) Jolla phone ;) (But don't install it over the top of the
G-Play version - that fails.)
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0