Extension "edit source" does not work anymore?

Today, desiring a way to edit and the sources of several pages, and
quickly, I installed:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-source/?src=search

 From its description, it is exactly what I need and want. But it does
not work! I open the source view for any page, but cannot see how to
edit it. Shouldn't it be just like a general notepad?

What is wrong here? Firefox 52.2.0
0
Balaco
12/6/2017 4:58:40 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24023 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

Em 06-12-2017 02:58, Balaco escreveu:
> Today, desiring a way to edit and the sources of several pages, and
> quickly, I installed:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-source/?src=search
>
> From its description, it is exactly what I need and want. But it does
> not work! I open the source view for any page, but cannot see how to
> edit it. Shouldn't it be just like a general notepad?
>
> What is wrong here? Firefox 52.2.0

I tried to use an external editor (about:config "view_source" options),
but when I change and save the source using it, Firefox does not update.

How can I force that? Reloading the page will download it again, which I
do *not* want.
0
Balaco
12/6/2017 5:24:34 AM
On 12/06/2017 06:24 AM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 06-12-2017 02:58, Balaco escreveu:
>> Today, desiring a way to edit and the sources of several pages, and
>> quickly, I installed:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-source/?src=search
>>
>> From its description, it is exactly what I need and want. But it does
>> not work! I open the source view for any page, but cannot see how to
>> edit it. Shouldn't it be just like a general notepad?
>>
>> What is wrong here? Firefox 52.2.0
>
> I tried to use an external editor (about:config "view_source" options),
> but when I change and save the source using it, Firefox does not update.
>
> How can I force that? Reloading the page will download it again, which I
> do *not* want.

If you just want to test things on the fly use the built-in inspector.
0
dillinger
12/6/2017 5:05:21 PM
On 12/6/2017 at 12:24 AM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:
> Em 06-12-2017 02:58, Balaco escreveu:
>> Today, desiring a way to edit and the sources of several pages, and
>> quickly, I installed:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-source/?src=search
>>
>> From its description, it is exactly what I need and want. But it does
>> not work! I open the source view for any page, but cannot see how to
>> edit it. Shouldn't it be just like a general notepad?
>>
>> What is wrong here? Firefox 52.2.0
>
> I tried to use an external editor (about:config "view_source" options),
> but when I change and save the source using it, Firefox does not update.
>
> How can I force that? Reloading the page will download it again, which I
> do *not* want.

You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Em 06-12-2017 15:59, Ed Mullen escreveu:
> On 12/6/2017 at 12:24 AM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:
>> Em 06-12-2017 02:58, Balaco escreveu:
>>> Today, desiring a way to edit and the sources of several pages, and
>>> quickly, I installed:
>>>
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-source/?src=search
>>>
>>> From its description, it is exactly what I need and want. But it does
>>> not work! I open the source view for any page, but cannot see how to
>>> edit it. Shouldn't it be just like a general notepad?
>>>
>>> What is wrong here? Firefox 52.2.0
>>
>> I tried to use an external editor (about:config "view_source"
>> options), but when I change and save the source using it, Firefox does
>> not update.
>>
>> How can I force that? Reloading the page will download it again, which
>> I do *not* want.
>
> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.

No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I use
Linux, by the way).

I want to see external pages with changes I make *after* loading them.
Saving to load right after is not always easy - or feasible, and have
side effects I want to avoid.

I just want something as simple as: pretend Firefox loaded this page
with this change, and let me see what would be different, no strings or
restrictions attached.

This is much more useful (for me) than the situation you described.
0
Balaco
12/6/2017 6:23:47 PM
Em 06-12-2017 15:05, dillinger escreveu:
> On 12/06/2017 06:24 AM, Balaco wrote:
>> Em 06-12-2017 02:58, Balaco escreveu:
>>> Today, desiring a way to edit and the sources of several pages, and
>>> quickly, I installed:
>>>
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-source/?src=search
>>>
>>> From its description, it is exactly what I need and want. But it does
>>> not work! I open the source view for any page, but cannot see how to
>>> edit it. Shouldn't it be just like a general notepad?
>>>
>>> What is wrong here? Firefox 52.2.0
>>
>> I tried to use an external editor (about:config "view_source"
>> options), but when I change and save the source using it, Firefox does
>> not update.
>>
>> How can I force that? Reloading the page will download it again, which
>> I do *not* want.
>
> If you just want to test things on the fly use the built-in inspector.

What inspector? I only know the source_view with CTRL+U, which is
readonly. And now I have some "edit source" around the interface, but
(as said first) it does not work.

You should mean this:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/UI_Tour#HTML_pane

Right? But I cannot find where I open that. It is not in the menu, I think.

0
Balaco
12/6/2017 6:27:19 PM
On 12/6/2017 at 1:23 PM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:
> Em 06-12-2017 15:59, Ed Mullen escreveu:

>>> I tried to use an external editor (about:config "view_source"
>>> options), but when I change and save the source using it, Firefox does
>>> not update.
>>>
>>> How can I force that? Reloading the page will download it again, which
>>> I do *not* want.
>>
>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>>

> No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I use
> Linux, by the way).

LAMP is the Linux version.

> I want to see external pages with changes I make *after* loading them.
> Saving to load right after is not always easy - or feasible, and have
> side effects I want to avoid.
>
> I just want something as simple as: pretend Firefox loaded this page
> with this change, and let me see what would be different, no strings or
> restrictions attached.
>
> This is much more useful (for me) than the situation you described.

You can try the Web Developer extenstion:

<http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
On 12/6/17 1:23 PM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 06-12-2017 15:59, Ed Mullen escreveu:

>>> I tried to use an external editor (about:config "view_source"
>>> options), but when I change and save the source using it, Firefox does
>>> not update.
>>>
>>> How can I force that? Reloading the page will download it again, which
>>> I do *not* want.
>>
>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>>

> No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I use
> Linux, by the way).
>
> I want to see external pages with changes I make *after* loading them.
> Saving to load right after is not always easy - or feasible, and have
> side effects I want to avoid.
>
> I just want something as simple as: pretend Firefox loaded this page
> with this change, and let me see what would be different, no strings or
> restrictions attached.
>
> This is much more useful (for me) than the situation you described.

Are you creating these pages or are they another authors?

If another author I think you have to save the web page using, Save Page
As > Web Page, complete, then edit it, save it and load it into your
Firefox.

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
Em 06-12-2017 16:34, WaltS48 escreveu:
> On 12/6/17 1:23 PM, Balaco wrote:
>> Em 06-12-2017 15:59, Ed Mullen escreveu:
>>> On 12/6/2017 at 12:24 AM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>>>

>> No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I
>> use Linux, by the way).
>>
>> I want to see external pages with changes I make *after* loading them.
>> Saving to load right after is not always easy - or feasible, and have
>> side effects I want to avoid.
>>
>> I just want something as simple as: pretend Firefox loaded this page
>> with this change, and let me see what would be different, no strings
>> or restrictions attached.
>>
>> This is much more useful (for me) than the situation you described.
>
> Are you creating these pages or are they another authors?
>
> If another author I think you have to save the web page using, Save Page
> As > Web Page, complete, then edit it, save it and load it into your
> Firefox.

They are (mostly) by other authors, but it does not matter. There are
both situations.

Saving it locally is different, I insist. And I do not want that.

I want a quick:

1. See source(s) (preferably in a chosen editor)

2. Edit, apply changes

3. See it.

Saving, thinking about dynamic contents, scripts, and other details, are
*not* wanted at all, as I said in message of 18:27.

Just (want to) change the source FF has and validate the changes.
0
Balaco
12/6/2017 7:13:11 PM
Em 06-12-2017 17:13, Balaco escreveu:
> Em 06-12-2017 16:34, WaltS48 escreveu:

>>> No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I
>>> use Linux, by the way).
>>>
>>> I want to see external pages with changes I make *after* loading them.
>>> Saving to load right after is not always easy - or feasible, and have
>>> side effects I want to avoid.
>>>
>>> I just want something as simple as: pretend Firefox loaded this page
>>> with this change, and let me see what would be different, no strings
>>> or restrictions attached.
>>>
>>> This is much more useful (for me) than the situation you described.
>>
>> Are you creating these pages or are they another authors?
>>
>> If another author I think you have to save the web page using, Save Page
>> As > Web Page, complete, then edit it, save it and load it into your
>> Firefox.
>>

> They are (mostly) by other authors, but it does not matter. There are
> both situations.
>
> Saving it locally is different, I insist. And I do not want that.
>
> I want a quick:
>
> 1. See source(s) (preferably in a chosen editor)
>
> 2. Edit, apply changes
>
> 3. See it.
>
> Saving, thinking about dynamic contents, scripts, and other details, are
> *not* wanted at all, as I said in message of 18:27.
>
> Just (want to) change the source FF has and validate the changes.

18:27 UTC, I meant!

0
Balaco
12/6/2017 7:14:42 PM
Balaco <balaco@nao.existe.fi> Wrote in message:
> Em 06-12-2017 15:05, dillinger escreveu:
>> On 12/06/2017 06:24 AM, Balaco wrote:
>
>> If you just want to test things on the fly use the built-in inspector.
>
> What inspector? I only know the source_view with CTRL+U, which is
> readonly. And now I have some "edit source" around the interface, but
> (as said first) it does not work.
>
> You should mean this:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/UI_Tour#HTML_pane
>
> Right? But I cannot find where I open that. It is not in the menu, I think.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Tools_Toolbox

Not the same as that addon, but includes tools for amending a
 site's source on the fly.

--
(Remove numerics from my email address)
0
On 12/06/2017 07:27 PM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 06-12-2017 15:05, dillinger escreveu:

>>> I tried to use an external editor (about:config "view_source"
>>> options), but when I change and save the source using it, Firefox does
>>> not update.
>>>
>>> How can I force that? Reloading the page will download it again, which
>>> I do *not* want.
>>
>> If you just want to test things on the fly use the built-in inspector.
>
> What inspector? I only know the source_view with CTRL+U, which is
> readonly. And now I have some "edit source" around the interface, but
> (as said first) it does not work.
>
> You should mean this:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/UI_Tour#HTML_pane
>

> Right? But I cannot find where I open that. It is not in the menu, I think.

Right, Tools > Web Developer > Inspector, or right-click anywhere in the
page and select Inspect Element, or use Ctrl+Shift+C.
0
dillinger
12/7/2017 1:51:23 AM
Em 06-12-2017 23:51, dillinger escreveu:
> On 12/06/2017 07:27 PM, Balaco wrote:

>>> If you just want to test things on the fly use the built-in inspector.
>>
>> What inspector? I only know the source_view with CTRL+U, which is
>> readonly. And now I have some "edit source" around the interface, but
>> (as said first) it does not work.
>>
>> You should mean this:
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/UI_Tour#HTML_pane
>>

>> Right? But I cannot find where I open that. It is not in the menu, I
>> think.
>>
> Right, Tools > Web Developer > Inspector, or right-click anywhere in the
> page and select Inspect Element, or use Ctrl+Shift+C.

Thank you! (:

0
Balaco
12/7/2017 12:34:37 PM
Em 06-12-2017 16:30, Ed Mullen escreveu:
> On 12/6/2017 at 1:23 PM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:
>> Em 06-12-2017 15:59, Ed Mullen escreveu:
>>> On 12/6/2017 at 12:24 AM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>>>

>> No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I
>> use Linux, by the way).
>
> LAMP is the Linux version.
>>
>> I want to see external pages with changes I make *after* loading them.
>> Saving to load right after is not always easy - or feasible, and have
>> side effects I want to avoid.
>>
>> I just want something as simple as: pretend Firefox loaded this page
>> with this change, and let me see what would be different, no strings
>> or restrictions attached.
>>
>> This is much more useful (for me) than the situation you described.
>
> You can try the Web Developer extenstion:
>
> <http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/>

dilinger pointed me the path to the element inspector, where I should be
able to change the source. I will try that.

If it does not suffice, I will post the reason. But I will also try that
extension. Is there a reason why it isn't in the Mozilla server?
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 12:37:48 PM
Em 06-12-2017 16:30, Ed Mullen escreveu:
> On 12/6/2017 at 1:23 PM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:
>> Em 06-12-2017 15:59, Ed Mullen escreveu:
>>> On 12/6/2017 at 12:24 AM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>>>

>> No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I
>> use Linux, by the way).
>
> LAMP is the Linux version.

I knew what LAMP (and WAPM) is. My intention when I said that I use
Linux was not to ask. A server or a local file in a local server is not
my intent, as I repeated.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 12:46:12 PM
Em 07-12-2017 10:34, Balaco escreveu:
> Em 06-12-2017 23:51, dillinger escreveu:

>>> What inspector? I only know the source_view with CTRL+U, which is
>>> readonly. And now I have some "edit source" around the interface, but
>>> (as said first) it does not work.
>>>
>>> You should mean this:
>>>
>>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/UI_Tour#HTML_pane
>>>

>>> Right? But I cannot find where I open that. It is not in the menu, I
>>> think.
>>>
>> Right, Tools > Web Developer > Inspector, or right-click anywhere in the
>> page and select Inspect Element, or use Ctrl+Shift+C.
>
> Thank you! (:

That does *not* work at all? How do I *type* source code in that
inspector window? I can click on it to edit values, but I cannot
manually create source code from my head. I also cannot paste code
copied from other page.

How can I do it? That inspector seems useless to what I need to do.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 2:19:12 PM
On 12/06/2017 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

[snip]

> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.

I did that (set up a local server for testing). I wanted it to be as
much like the public server (Apache/PHP on Debian) as possible. Apache
and PHP are available for Windows, but there are some differences. For
that reason, I set up the local server of Ubuntu Linux. Linux is good
for web servers, although some people may have trouble figuring out the
security.

--
18 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The money man gives to get him into heaven is what he ought to use to
improve the earth." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And
Other Essays_]
0
Mark
12/7/2017 2:33:00 PM
On 12/06/2017 12:23 PM, Balaco wrote:

[snip]

>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>>

> No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I use
> Linux, by the way).

Windows is good for some things, but a web server isn't one of them.

[snip]

--
18 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The money man gives to get him into heaven is what he ought to use to
improve the earth." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And
Other Essays_]
0
Mark
12/7/2017 2:34:42 PM
On 12/06/2017 12:27 PM, Balaco wrote:

[snip]

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/UI_Tour#HTML_pane
>

> Right? But I cannot find where I open that. It is not in the menu, I think.

I've been using that a lot. Its in the menu in "Tools / Web Developer"
(at least in FF57). Or, you can press F12.

--
18 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The money man gives to get him into heaven is what he ought to use to
improve the earth." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And
Other Essays_]
0
Mark
12/7/2017 2:38:30 PM
On 12/7/17 3:19 PM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 07-12-2017 10:34, Balaco escreveu:

>>> Right, Tools > Web Developer > Inspector, or right-click anywhere in the
>>> page and select Inspect Element, or use Ctrl+Shift+C.
>>
>> Thank you! (:
>>

> That does *not* work at all? How do I *type* source code in that
> inspector window? I can click on it to edit values, but I cannot
> manually create source code from my head. I also cannot paste code
> copied from other page.
>
> How can I do it? That inspector seems useless to what I need to do.
Double click and right click are your friends.
0
dillinger
12/7/2017 2:52:48 PM
On 12/7/17 9:19 AM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 07-12-2017 10:34, Balaco escreveu:

>>> Right, Tools > Web Developer > Inspector, or right-click anywhere in the
>>> page and select Inspect Element, or use Ctrl+Shift+C.
>>
>> Thank you! (:
>>

> That does *not* work at all? How do I *type* source code in that
> inspector window? I can click on it to edit values, but I cannot
> manually create source code from my head. I also cannot paste code
> copied from other page.
>
> How can I do it? That inspector seems useless to what I need to do.

See
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/How_to/Examine_and_edit_HTML>

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
12/7/2017 3:10:17 PM
Em 07-12-2017 12:52, dillinger escreveu:
> On 12/7/17 3:19 PM, Balaco wrote:

>>> Thank you! (:
>>>

>> That does *not* work at all? How do I *type* source code in that
>> inspector window? I can click on it to edit values, but I cannot
>> manually create source code from my head. I also cannot paste code
>> copied from other page.
>>
>> How can I do it? That inspector seems useless to what I need to do.
> Double click and right click are your friends.

I should have been explicit: clicking (double and right clicking also
included in this sentence) only let me edit edit values. But it does not
let me add new code from scratch, nor pasting copied source parts from
elsewhere.

Double clicking, as what I tested now, just close or open HTML tag's
contents. It also let me edit values of exiting fields - and only
exiting fields. As I said, I am unable to write new tags. If that is
possible, please say *how* you do it, instead of simply saying it is
possible.

How do I change the HTML header? Id est, how to I change the first line:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

?

Right clicking on its source line, in the element inspector, brings up a
menu where the first option is "Edit HTML", but left clicking on it has
no effect (id est, the menu still there, as if the menu item was
disabled, although it has the same colors of all others).

Right clicking menu have other options, but clicking on them also does
nothing (including that the menu is still shown): "create node",
"duplicate node", "delete", ...
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 3:50:36 PM
Em 07-12-2017 13:10, WaltS48 escreveu:
> On 12/7/17 9:19 AM, Balaco wrote:

>>> Thank you! (:
>>>

>> That does *not* work at all? How do I *type* source code in that
>> inspector window? I can click on it to edit values, but I cannot
>> manually create source code from my head. I also cannot paste code
>> copied from other page.
>>
>> How can I do it? That inspector seems useless to what I need to do.
>
> See
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/How_to/Examine_and_edit_HTML>

I have read that page. All problems I posted here exist. May you help
explicitly with them?
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 3:54:18 PM
Em 07-12-2017 12:38, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
> On 12/06/2017 12:27 PM, Balaco wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/UI_Tour#HTML_pane
>>

>> Right? But I cannot find where I open that. It is not in the menu, I
>> think.
>
> I've been using that a lot. Its in the menu in "Tools / Web Developer"
> (at least in FF57). Or, you can press F12.

You snipped something important (at least one) for the part you quoted.

The menu "tools -> webdeveloper" open a menu full of options. The "edit
page", which is the first option, opens the extension window, which does
not work, as I initially said in this thread. Was it changed (instead of
adding something that did not exit, like I imagined and imagine) by the
extension?

0
Balaco
12/7/2017 3:59:04 PM
Em 07-12-2017 12:34, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
> On 12/06/2017 12:23 PM, Balaco wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>>>

>> No, that is not a good idea. I will do it when that is better (and I
>> use Linux, by the way).
>
> Windows is good for some things, but a web server isn't one of them.
>
> [snip]

I do not want a server. I want a browser capable of editing the source
code of pages I visit. "Editing" means to change the source and see the
changes as if the received page was different in what I changed.

0
Balaco
12/7/2017 4:00:29 PM
Em 07-12-2017 12:33, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
> On 12/06/2017 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>
> I did that (set up a local server for testing). I wanted it to be as
> much like the public server (Apache/PHP on Debian) as possible. Apache
> and PHP are available for Windows, but there are some differences. For
> that reason, I set up the local server of Ubuntu Linux. Linux is good
> for web servers, although some people may have trouble figuring out the
> security.

Yes, I did not even know that LAMP was different from WAMP in anything
important (except what changes due to what the hosting system differs,
like preference folders or file paths).

As I just said, I do not want a server. I want a browser capable of
editing the source code of pages I visit. "Editing" means to change the
source and see the changes as if the received page was different in what
I changed. Is what I want still not clear?
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 4:03:15 PM
On 12/7/17 10:54 AM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 07-12-2017 13:10, WaltS48 escreveu:

>>> That does *not* work at all? How do I *type* source code in that
>>> inspector window? I can click on it to edit values, but I cannot
>>> manually create source code from my head. I also cannot paste code
>>> copied from other page.
>>>
>>> How can I do it? That inspector seems useless to what I need to do.
>>
>> See
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/How_to/Examine_and_edit_HTML>
>>

> I have read that page. All problems I posted here exist. May you help
> explicitly with them?

You don't see the changes?

 From the Editing HTML section of that page.

> You can edit the HTML — tags, attributes, and content — directly in the HTML pane: double-click the text you want to edit, change it, and press Enter to see the changes reflected immediately.
Sorry, I can't help.

Have you looked for a replacement for the extension that stopped working?

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Edit+Source>

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
12/7/2017 4:23:50 PM
Em 07-12-2017 14:23, WaltS48 escreveu:
> On 12/7/17 10:54 AM, Balaco wrote:

>>> See
>>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/How_to/Examine_and_edit_HTML>
>>>

>> I have read that page. All problems I posted here exist. May you help
>> explicitly with them?
>
> You don't see the changes?

As I said, I can change tag fields and values, but I cannot backspace
until I delete the tag name itself and change that. Do not worry about
making valid HTML, I can do that.

What I want is to edit the source code as if I was in a simple text
editor, as notepad.

> From the Editing HTML section of that page.
>
>> You can edit the HTML — tags, attributes, and content — directly in
>> the HTML pane: double-click the text you want to edit, change it, and
>> press Enter to see the changes reflected immediately.
> Sorry, I can't help.
>
> Have you looked for a replacement for the extension that stopped working?
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Edit+Source>

I have looked at everything there. It surprises me there is an extension
to view source, since that already exists in Firefox.

The *only* alternative I saw, to the extension I am trying to make it
work, is "Source Editor" ( ***************************************** ) .
But it says in its description:

 > View and Edit source of HTML element. Use the button on status bar to
 > activate/desactivate and the double click or the context menu to edit
 > source of the selected element

So it seems to serve the purpose of editing HTML *visible elements*, and
not editing all HTML received from a page, as I want to do.

There is also "Edit with Sublime Text", in page

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-with-sublime-text/

But its description also does not seem to do what I want, since it only
talks about HTML elements, instead of a full page editing.

> Edit with Sublime Text by belav
>
> Edit an HTML element with Sublime Text editor with real-time updates

There are several unrelated results in the page you pointed. Is there
anyhing there I should try? Please point, if you may.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 4:41:55 PM
(Possibly a second message for some, but here I have added the address
of the extension "Source Editor", where I talk about it. Continue
reading what I wrote below, among the quotes)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sourceeditor/ ) . But it
says in its description:

> View and Edit source of HTML element. Use the button on status bar to
> activate/desactivate and the double click or the context menu to edit
> source of the selected element

So it seems to serve the purpose of editing HTML *visible elements*, and
not editing all HTML received from a page, as I want to do.

There is also "Edit with Sublime Text", in page

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-with-sublime-text/

But its description also does not seem to do what I want, since it only
talks about HTML elements, instead of a full page editing.

> Edit with Sublime Text by belav
>
> Edit an HTML element with Sublime Text editor with real-time updates

There are several unrelated results in the page you pointed. Is there
anyhing there I should try? Please point, if you may.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 4:52:22 PM
(Possibly a second message for some, but here I have added the address
of the extension "Source Editor", where I talk about it. Continue
reading what I wrote below, among the quotes)

Em 07-12-2017 14:23, WaltS48 escreveu:
> On 12/7/17 10:54 AM, Balaco wrote:

>>> See
>>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector/How_to/Examine_and_edit_HTML>
>>>

>> I have read that page. All problems I posted here exist. May you help
>> explicitly with them?
>
> You don't see the changes?

As I said, I can change tag fields and values, but I cannot backspace
until I delete the tag name itself and change that. Do not worry about
making valid HTML, I can do that.

What I want is to edit the source code as if I was in a simple text
editor, as notepad.

> From the Editing HTML section of that page.
>
>> You can edit the HTML — tags, attributes, and content — directly in
>> the HTML pane: double-click the text you want to edit, change it, and
>> press Enter to see the changes reflected immediately.
> Sorry, I can't help.
>
> Have you looked for a replacement for the extension that stopped working?
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Edit+Source>

I have looked at everything there. It surprises me there is an extension
to view source, since that already exists in Firefox.

The *only* alternative I saw, to the extension I am trying to make it
work, is "Source Editor" (
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sourceeditor/ ) . But it
says in its description:

> View and Edit source of HTML element. Use the button on status bar to
> activate/desactivate and the double click or the context menu to edit
> source of the selected element

So it seems to serve the purpose of editing HTML *visible elements*, and
not editing all HTML received from a page, as I want to do.

There is also "Edit with Sublime Text", in page

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-with-sublime-text/

But its description also does not seem to do what I want, since it only
talks about HTML elements, instead of a full page editing.

> Edit with Sublime Text by belav
>
> Edit an HTML element with Sublime Text editor with real-time updates

There are several unrelated results in the page you pointed. Is there
anyhing there I should try? Please point, if you may.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 4:54:54 PM
On 12/7/17 4:50 PM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 07-12-2017 12:52, dillinger escreveu:

>>> That does *not* work at all? How do I *type* source code in that
>>> inspector window? I can click on it to edit values, but I cannot
>>> manually create source code from my head. I also cannot paste code
>>> copied from other page.
>>>
>>> How can I do it? That inspector seems useless to what I need to do.
>> Double click and right click are your friends.
>
> I should have been explicit: clicking (double and right clicking also
> included in this sentence) only let me edit edit values. But it does not
> let me add new code from scratch, nor pasting copied source parts from
> elsewhere.
>
> Double clicking, as what I tested now, just close or open HTML tag's
> contents. It also let me edit values of exiting fields - and only
> exiting fields. As I said, I am unable to write new tags. If that is
> possible, please say *how* you do it, instead of simply saying it is
> possible.
>
> How do I change the HTML header? Id est, how to I change the first line:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> ?
>
> Right clicking on its source line, in the element inspector, brings up a
> menu where the first option is "Edit HTML", but left clicking on it has
> no effect (id est, the menu still there, as if the menu item was
> disabled, although it has the same colors of all others).
>
> Right clicking menu have other options, but clicking on them also does
> nothing (including that the menu is still shown): "create node",
> "duplicate node", "delete", ...
You can't change the !DOCTYPE, apparently.
And it is not very user friendly, I agree on that, among others it has
some irritating autofill features.
It is not a replacement for your web design program, but you can make
some changes and see what it looks like.

0
dillinger
12/7/2017 5:20:06 PM
Em 07-12-2017 15:20, dillinger escreveu:
> On 12/7/17 4:50 PM, Balaco wrote:

>>> Double click and right click are your friends.
>>
>> I should have been explicit: clicking (double and right clicking also
>> included in this sentence) only let me edit edit values. But it does
>> not let me add new code from scratch, nor pasting copied source parts
>> from elsewhere.
>>
>> Double clicking, as what I tested now, just close or open HTML tag's
>> contents. It also let me edit values of exiting fields - and only
>> exiting fields. As I said, I am unable to write new tags. If that is
>> possible, please say *how* you do it, instead of simply saying it is
>> possible.
>>
>> How do I change the HTML header? Id est, how to I change the first line:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Right clicking on its source line, in the element inspector, brings up
>> a menu where the first option is "Edit HTML", but left clicking on it
>> has no effect (id est, the menu still there, as if the menu item was
>> disabled, although it has the same colors of all others).
>>
>> Right clicking menu have other options, but clicking on them also does
>> nothing (including that the menu is still shown): "create node",
>> "duplicate node", "delete", ...
> You can't change the !DOCTYPE, apparently.
> And it is not very user friendly, I agree on that, among others it has
> some irritating autofill features.
> It is not a replacement for your web design program, but you can make
> some changes and see what it looks like.

Oh, that is sad. What I want is so simple! It is a shame that it does
not seem to exist.

I can type backspace to erase a whole tag (its opening tag inclusive, I
mean), but I want to continue backspacing to erase (at its limits) all
chars until the starting "<!DOCTYPE" (which is common today, but not
necessary) of the sources I can see.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 5:45:34 PM
On 12/7/2017 at 11:03 AM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:
> Em 07-12-2017 12:33, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
>> On 12/06/2017 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> You'd be better off installing a local Web server like WAMP. I use it
>>> all the time to edit pages before uploading them the Web site/server.
>>> Edit the local file, save, refresh FF and see the changes.
>>
>> I did that (set up a local server for testing). I wanted it to be as
>> much like the public server (Apache/PHP on Debian) as possible. Apache
>> and PHP are available for Windows, but there are some differences. For
>> that reason, I set up the local server of Ubuntu Linux. Linux is good
>> for web servers, although some people may have trouble figuring out the
>> security.
>>

> Yes, I did not even know that LAMP was different from WAMP in anything
> important (except what changes due to what the hosting system differs,
> like preference folders or file paths).
>
> As I just said, I do not want a server. I want a browser capable of
> editing the source code of pages I visit. "Editing" means to change the
> source and see the changes as if the received page was different in what
> I changed. Is what I want still not clear?

You are being clear. Problem is, I doubt there is any solution to what
you want to do. Other than, as has been suggested, saving the page as a
local file and editing it. The browser will not be retrieving/refreshing
from the Web but, rather, your local disk.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Em 07-12-2017 17:17, Ed Mullen escreveu:
> On 12/7/2017 at 11:03 AM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:
>> Em 07-12-2017 12:33, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
>>> On 12/06/2017 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> I did that (set up a local server for testing). I wanted it to be as
>>> much like the public server (Apache/PHP on Debian) as possible. Apache
>>> and PHP are available for Windows, but there are some differences. For
>>> that reason, I set up the local server of Ubuntu Linux. Linux is good
>>> for web servers, although some people may have trouble figuring out the
>>> security.
>>>

>> Yes, I did not even know that LAMP was different from WAMP in anything
>> important (except what changes due to what the hosting system differs,
>> like preference folders or file paths).
>>
>> As I just said, I do not want a server. I want a browser capable of
>> editing the source code of pages I visit. "Editing" means to change
>> the source and see the changes as if the received page was different
>> in what I changed. Is what I want still not clear?
>
> You are being clear. Problem is, I doubt there is any solution to what
> you want to do. Other than, as has been suggested, saving the page as a
> local file and editing it. The browser will not be retrieving/refreshing
> from the Web but, rather, your local disk.

I had this (what I am trying to find in FF) in another browser. It
surprises me that it does not exist. /-: I used it so much!
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 9:15:58 PM
On 12/7/17 4:15 PM, Balaco wrote:
> Em 07-12-2017 17:17, Ed Mullen escreveu:

>>> Yes, I did not even know that LAMP was different from WAMP in anything
>>> important (except what changes due to what the hosting system differs,
>>> like preference folders or file paths).
>>>
>>> As I just said, I do not want a server. I want a browser capable of
>>> editing the source code of pages I visit. "Editing" means to change
>>> the source and see the changes as if the received page was different
>>> in what I changed. Is what I want still not clear?
>>
>> You are being clear. Problem is, I doubt there is any solution to what
>> you want to do. Other than, as has been suggested, saving the page as a
>> local file and editing it. The browser will not be retrieving/refreshing
>> from the Web but, rather, your local disk.
>>

> I had this (what I am trying to find in FF) in another browser. It
> surprises me that it does not exist. /-: I used it so much!

Tried Stylish?

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/>

or Edit?

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit/>

or maybe you could use this method to install the Chrome PageEdit extension.

<http://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-chrome-extensions-on-firefox>

PageEdit

<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pageedit/ebkclgoaabaibghklgknnjdemknjaeic?hl=en>

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
12/7/2017 9:33:01 PM
Em 07-12-2017 19:33, WaltS48 escreveu:
> On 12/7/17 4:15 PM, Balaco wrote:
>> Em 07-12-2017 17:17, Ed Mullen escreveu:
>>> On 12/7/2017 at 11:03 AM, Balaco created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> You are being clear. Problem is, I doubt there is any solution to what
>>> you want to do. Other than, as has been suggested, saving the page as a
>>> local file and editing it. The browser will not be retrieving/refreshing
>>> from the Web but, rather, your local disk.
>>>

>> I had this (what I am trying to find in FF) in another browser. It
>> surprises me that it does not exist. /-: I used it so much!
>

> Tried Stylish?
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/>

No, I have not. But it is a "Custom themes for any website" extension to:

"Stylish lets you customize any website with custom user styles (themes
for websites). Choose from the largest userstyles library to change the
color scheme, background, and skin for Google, Facebook, YouTube and
many, many more sites."

Can I do page source edit (and refresh it with my changes) with that
extension? Or you expect I find that by installing it, restarting my
Firefox and trying to do?

> or Edit?
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit/>

"This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version
54.0). You are using Firefox 52.0."

/-:

> or maybe you could use this method to install the Chrome PageEdit
> extension.
>
> <http://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-chrome-extensions-on-firefox>

I will read that now, after I read the PageEdit description to see if it
can do what I want.

Thank you for pointing that page.

> PageEdit
>
> <https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pageedit/ebkclgoaabaibghklgknnjdemknjaeic?hl=en>

That address is strangely big for me. And it does not work if I remove
its GET argument and the "not a file" name. But it is not related to
you: searching for "pageedit chrome" in other search engines, I found
the same address (only without the language argument).

0
Balaco
12/7/2017 9:53:31 PM
Em 07-12-2017 19:33, WaltS48 escreveu:

[...]

> or maybe you could use this method to install the Chrome PageEdit
> extension.
>
> <http://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-chrome-extensions-on-firefox>
>
> PageEdit
>
> <https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pageedit/ebkclgoaabaibghklgknnjdemknjaeic?hl=en>

Quoting that extension description and commenting it:

=====

> Edit any HTML page into * with this powerful WYSIWYG editor
>
> Transform your browser into a WYSIWYG HTML editor.

WYSIWYG? That is not even close to what I want do to most of the time.

> PageEdit uses CKEditor (see http://ckeditor.com) as WYSIWYG editor and CodeMirror (see http://codemirror.net) as source editor.

I want to be ablet to use my chosen program, if I cannot have a window
in Firefox which inherit my chosen colors (in
Edit->Preferences->Colors->Always ) or the colors that my window manager
theme uses.

> features :
> - WYSIWYG webpage editor

not wanted or needed

> - syntax color highlighting in source editing mode (click on "Source" button)

good, that can be it!

> - edit files stored on HDD (i.e. all file:/// URLs)

Naturally expected! Who cannot open any file saved in its computer?
Maybe who uses the worse browser ever Chrom*.

> - basic embedded save dialog (otherwise close the editor and press Ctrl-S)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Strange to note this. It made me laugh.

> known issues :
> - default chrome "Save Page" does not work in edit mode (use custom
> save dialog from the editor or click PageEdit icon to quit edit mode
> and save the page)

Strange limitation, but it does seem to matter for me. If the imposed
editor is reasonable, one should be able to copy all the edited source
and paste in any file.

> - PageEdit is not able to edit frame content

That is an horrible limitation! And pretty nonsense too. Why HTML
content should need to be limited in any way to open and edit it?

=====

I will not even read about how to install Chrom* extensions in Firefox.
It has no extension to want that.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 10:08:17 PM
Em 07-12-2017 19:33, WaltS48 escreveu:
> Tried ...
[...]
> or Edit?
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit/>

Part of its description is:

 > Features
> - Insert Custom Text (FF57+)
>     There is a bug with Firebox Sidebar with drop-down menus
>     (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1389495 fixed for FF57)
>     that prevents the display of the drop-down menu.

hahahahahaha I will not change my Firefox version anytime soon.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 10:13:44 PM
On 12/07/2017 09:59 AM, Balaco wrote:

[snip]

> The menu "tools -> webdeveloper" open a menu full of options. The "edit
> page", which is the first option, opens the extension window, which does
> not work, as I initially said in this thread. Was it changed (instead of
> adding something that did not exit, like I imagined and imagine) by the
> extension?

The option at the top of the menu (FF57) is "Toggle Tools". The options
below that in the first part of the box (Inspector, Web Console,
Debugger, Style Editor, Performance, Network, Storage Inspector, DOM)
open particular tabs in developer tools. I use F12 which is easier than
going through the menu. There is no "Edit Page".

--
17 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god but a great
rock and the sun a hot rock." [Anaxagorus, ca. 475 BC]
0
Mark
12/8/2017 8:58:23 PM
[snip]

> I do not want a server. I want a browser capable of editing the source
> code of pages I visit. "Editing" means to change the source and see the
> changes as if the received page was different in what I changed.

Developer tools allows you to do that. Right-click on the object you
what to change and select "inspect element". Right-click on the HTNL in
inspector and select "Edit as HTML". Click somewhere else (outside the
edit box) when done.

I wouldn't use this method to make extensive changes, but it is a tool
for trying minor changes.

--
17 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god but a great
rock and the sun a hot rock." [Anaxagorus, ca. 475 BC]
0
Mark
12/8/2017 9:05:22 PM
Em 08-12-2017 18:58, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
> On 12/07/2017 09:59 AM, Balaco wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> The menu "tools -> webdeveloper" open a menu full of options. The
>> "edit page", which is the first option, opens the extension window,
>> which does not work, as I initially said in this thread. Was it
>> changed (instead of adding something that did not exit, like I
>> imagined and imagine) by the extension?
>
> The option at the top of the menu (FF57) is "Toggle Tools". The options
> below that in the first part of the box (Inspector, Web Console,
> Debugger, Style Editor, Performance, Network, Storage Inspector, DOM)
> open particular tabs in developer tools. I use F12 which is easier than
> going through the menu. There is no "Edit Page".

The first part of that submenu is the same for me, except it has the
"edit page" first - then I (must) conclude that is just a extension
effect (the one that is the subject of this thread).

The items "Storage Inspector" and "DOM" do not exist here. My FF is 52.
Maybe I can turn them on, but I do not care.

That F12 keyboard shortcut (and a few more) does not work for me. I
installed "Menu wizard", which let us change them (or simply disable,
like I did with some).
0
Balaco
12/8/2017 9:39:32 PM
Em 08-12-2017 19:39, Balaco escreveu:
> Em 08-12-2017 18:58, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
>> On 12/07/2017 09:59 AM, Balaco wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> The menu "tools -> webdeveloper" open a menu full of options. The
>>> "edit page", which is the first option, opens the extension window,
>>> which does not work, as I initially said in this thread. Was it
>>> changed (instead of adding something that did not exit, like I
>>> imagined and imagine) by the extension?
>>
>> The option at the top of the menu (FF57) is "Toggle Tools". The options
>> below that in the first part of the box (Inspector, Web Console,
>> Debugger, Style Editor, Performance, Network, Storage Inspector, DOM)
>> open particular tabs in developer tools. I use F12 which is easier than
>> going through the menu. There is no "Edit Page".
>>

> The first part of that submenu is the same for me, except it has the
> "edit page" first - then I (must) conclude that is just a extension
> effect (the one that is the subject of this thread).
>
> The items "Storage Inspector" and "DOM" do not exist here. My FF is 52.
> Maybe I can turn them on, but I do not care.

For things in another post, I noted that in inspector settings there are
6 items not checked (or showed) for me: shader editor, canvas, storage,
web audio, scratchpad and DOM. Simply enabling them will already change
that menu. That should be the only difference between our menus.

> That F12 keyboard shortcut (and a few more) does not work for me. I
> installed "Menu wizard", which let us change them (or simply disable,
> like I did with some).

0
Balaco
12/8/2017 10:55:45 PM
Em 08-12-2017 19:05, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
> [snip]
>
>> I do not want a server. I want a browser capable of editing the source
>> code of pages I visit. "Editing" means to change the source and see
>> the changes as if the received page was different in what I changed.
>
> Developer tools allows you to do that. Right-click on the object you
> what to change and select "inspect element". Right-click on the HTNL in
> inspector and select "Edit as HTML". Click somewhere else (outside the
> edit box) when done.

More right clicks than I tried. I hate things that only exist in them.

Doing it exactly as you said, I found an almost there solution!

After doing everything, having a light turning on above my head, and
thinking about it all: I see no need to right click an specific element
and inspecting it, as you start. Sometimes it will not matter - and that
should be more usual for me. Just opening the inspector is enough.
Finding things in the inspector is a bit cumbersome, but feasible.

So... my steps now were:

1. (any way to) Open the inspector

2. Right click in the "<html>" tag (yes, of course!!!), choose "edit as
html". A sort of "notepad subwindow"¹ will exist now in the inspector
window/part.

3. I can cut, paste, delete, ... I can do anything there. Anything!

4. Eventually, when I change the focus in the inspector window² to
something else³, it will update the page with the exact content that I
just (at the absurd limit I did here) created!

Great! Thank you very much. I was close to it, but was missing that
mostly hidden detail.

I found the "edit as html" menu item before, but it does not work in the
HTML header - and I did not test in the HTML opening tag, nor thought
about that "detail".

> I wouldn't use this method to make extensive changes, but it is a
> tool for trying minor changes.

No, that is wrong! That (with the "small" changes I described above) can
be used to make *ALL* changes! It just does not let me use a chosen
editor, nor change the HTML pre-header. But I can live with that, I think.
:D

¹ "notepad subwindow": A new small problem, that I decide not to open a
new thread about: can we see code in inspector with wordwrap enabled?

² I have separated the inspector window, and it kept that state in
future uses - perfect.

³ While inspector in the "edit HTML" mode, the firefox real window and
other programs' can be focused without inspector doing anything else
about the code that exist or not there.

One last note that others may find useful: if the page is reloaded (like
some do for me due the "ReloadEvery" extension) the inspector will
update the code it shows, possibly losing what we were doing or seeing.
0
Balaco
12/8/2017 11:37:07 PM
On 12/08/2017 03:39 PM, Balaco wrote:
[snip]

> The first part of that submenu is the same for me, except it has the
> "edit page" first - then I (must) conclude that is just a extension
> effect (the one that is the subject of this thread).
>
> The items "Storage Inspector" and "DOM" do not exist here. My FF is 52.
> Maybe I can turn them on, but I do not care.

"DOM" (which I wanted, since it shows JavaScript variables) does have to
be turned on in the settings. I did not do anything to turn on "Storage
Inspector". Possibly it's a new thing (maybe in FF56, the first to not
support the Firebug extension).

> That F12 keyboard shortcut (and a few more) does not work for me. I
> installed "Menu wizard", which let us change them (or simply disable,
> like I did with some).

Does it work to right-click on something and select "Inspect Element"?

--
16 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"To rest one's case on faith means to concede that reason is on the side
of one's enemies- that one has no rational arguments to offer." Ayn Rand
0
Mark
12/9/2017 3:50:37 PM
Em 09-12-2017 13:50, Mark Lloyd escreveu:
> On 12/08/2017 03:39 PM, Balaco wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> The first part of that submenu is the same for me, except it has the
>> "edit page" first - then I (must) conclude that is just a extension
>> effect (the one that is the subject of this thread).
>>
>> The items "Storage Inspector" and "DOM" do not exist here. My FF is
>> 52. Maybe I can turn them on, but I do not care.
>
> "DOM" (which I wanted, since it shows JavaScript variables) does have to
> be turned on in the settings. I did not do anything to turn on "Storage
> Inspector". Possibly it's a new thing (maybe in FF56, the first to not
> support the Firebug extension).
>
>> That F12 keyboard shortcut (and a few more) does not work for me. I
>> installed "Menu wizard", which let us change them (or simply disable,
>> like I did with some).
>
> Does it work to right-click on something and select "Inspect Element"?

Yes, it does. (: I just said that usually it will not be the way I open
inspector.

The change was only and specifically for the keyboard shortcuts. A very
good extension! I only miss in it the possibility to create new
shortcut, for example, for menu items which do not have any kb shortcut.
0
Balaco