Errors when trying to access websites

My browser is Mozilla Firefox 60.0.1 and I'm running Windows 10 on my deskt=
op PC. =20

How can I solve these errors:

"Problem loading page". "The connection has timed out. The server at (websi=
te) is taking too long to respond".

"Server not found". "Hmm. We=E2=80=99re having trouble finding that site. W=
e can=E2=80=99t connect to the server at (website)".=20
0
gcotterl
5/27/2018 5:04:07 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

gcotterl@earthlink.net Wrote in message:
> My browser is Mozilla Firefox 60.0.1 and I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop PC.
>

> How can I solve these errors:
>
> "Problem loading page". "The connection has timed out. The server at (website) is taking too long to respond".
>
> "Server not found". "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at (website)".

Have you checked it is not a website nor networking issue ?
Does it work in other browser?

--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
0
Libor
5/27/2018 5:22:08 PM
On 5/27/2018 12:04, gcotterl@earthlink.net wrote:
> My browser is Mozilla Firefox 60.0.1 and I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop PC.
>
> How can I solve these errors:
>
> "Problem loading page". "The connection has timed out. The server at (website) is taking too long to respond".
>
> "Server not found". "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at (website)".

First, would you care to name the site in question, or is this an
ongoing problem with many sites?

I've found that whenever that happens, it's either being blocked by a
HOSTs file or the DNS server has gone wonky.

My fix (since I use DNSCrypt) is to reapply its settings, or, in the
case of HOSTs, I copy and paste the "offending" site into HostsMan's
editor, find it, delete it, followed by allowing the site into HostMan's
exclusion list.  (I just did that moments before I saw this post.)

Sometimes a quick disable/re-enable of the network adapter helps, too.

Or, sometimes a power cycle of my modem/router does the trick if neither
of the above solutions works.  Unplug for thirty seconds, then replug
and once connection is re-established, see what happens when trying to
access the problem site.

--
Gryphons RAWK!
0
On 5/27/18 1:04 PM, gcotterl@earthlink.net wrote:
> My browser is Mozilla Firefox 60.0.1 and I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop PC.
>

> How can I solve these errors:
>
> "Problem loading page". "The connection has timed out. The server at (website) is taking too long to respond".

I got that earlier today at a web site I visit daily. It just loaded
with an aplogy for being down because of a citywide prower outage.

> "Server not found". "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at (website)".

The server no longer exists, or is experiencing a problem.

Not a Firefox problem to be solved.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Some of the websites are
facebook.com
earthlink.net
google.com/maps/
travel-forum.freeforums.net/
and others.

The error-messages seem to occur when I have one site open and try to open another site (on another tab).  When I try opening the "offending" website again, the site may open OK.

I've already cleared cookies, cache and run virus-checking programs.
0
gcotterl
5/27/2018 8:33:54 PM
On 5/27/18 4:33 PM, gcotterl@earthlink.net wrote:
> This problem is only with Firefox (other browsers work fine).
>
> Some of the websites are
> facebook.com
> earthlink.net
> google.com/maps/
> travel-forum.freeforums.net/
> and others.
>
> The error-messages seem to occur when I have one site open and try to open another site (on another tab).  When I try opening the "offending" website again, the site may open OK.
>
> I've already cleared cookies, cache and run virus-checking programs.

No problem accessing those sites here. Not sure about "and others".

Did you try Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled? That will check to see
if an extension is causing a problem.

--
--------------000303010604050909060704

On 27/05/2018 21:33, gcotterl@earthlink.net wrote:
> This problem is only with Firefox (other browsers work fine).
>
> Some of the websites are
> facebook.com
> earthlink.net
> google.com/maps/
> travel-forum.freeforums.net/
> and others.
>
> The error-messages seem to occur when I have one site open and try to open another site (on another tab).  When I try opening the "offending" website again, the site may open OK.
>
> I've already cleared cookies, cache and run virus-checking programs.

Have you restarted the machine just in case some Windows updates are
pending in the machine?  Microsoft did release an update for Windows 10
on 24th May, this might have come to you only now so restart is required.

<http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4100403>

Are you using a SSD drive?  This latest update is mainly for people
using the SSD drive.

--------------000303010604050909060704

  <head>
  </head>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:gcotterl@earthlink.net">gcotterl@earthlink.net</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:mailman.508.1527453512.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">This problem is only with Firefox (other browsers work fine).

Some of the websites are
facebook.com
earthlink.net
google.com/maps/
travel-forum.freeforums.net/
and others.

The error-messages seem to occur when I have one site open and try to open another site (on another tab).  When I try opening the "offending" website again, the site may open OK.

I've already cleared cookies, cache and run virus-checking programs.
</pre>
    Have you restarted the machine just in case some Windows updates are
    pending in the machine?  Microsoft did release an update for Windows
    10 on 24th May, this might have come to you only now so restart is
    required.  <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4100403">&lt;http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4100403&gt;</a><br>
    Are you using a SSD drive?  This latest update is mainly for people
    using the SSD drive.<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------000303010604050909060704--
0
Good
5/28/2018 1:13:57 AM
On 5/28/2018 2:13 AM, Good Guy wrote:
> On 27/05/2018 21:33, gcotterl@earthlink.net wrote:
>> This problem is only with Firefox (other browsers work fine).
>>
>> Some of the websites are
>> facebook.com
>> earthlink.net
>> google.com/maps/
>> travel-forum.freeforums.net/
>> and others.
>>
>> The error-messages seem to occur when I have one site open and try to open another site (on another tab).  When I try opening the "offending" website again, the site may open OK.
>>
>> I've already cleared cookies, cache and run virus-checking programs.
>
> Have you restarted the machine just in case some Windows updates are
> pending in the machine?  Microsoft did release an update for Windows 10
> on 24th May, this might have come to you only now so restart is required.
>
> <http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4100403>
>
> Are you using a SSD drive?  This latest update is mainly for people
> using the SSD drive.
>

> --
> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

I have had this problem twice recently, but only for a short time.  It
may be due to web congestion.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman
On 05/27/2018 10:04 AM, gcotterl@earthlink.net wrote:

> How can I solve these errors:

  How is your Internet connection configured?
  Is there a proxy server involved?
  What do you get when you ping those hosts? Or traceroute?

> "Problem loading page". "The connection has timed out. The server at (website) is taking too long to respond".

  It may be a DNS issue. If the primary domain is found and subsequent
name lookups hang, you can get this message.
  Or it may be that the host itself is so busy it did not respond in a
timely manner.

> "Server not found". "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at (website)".

  This is also DNS issue. If the hosts actually exist, the problem is
with whatever provides Name Resolution services (DNS); packets are being
lost or dropped.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
On 27/05/18 18:04, gcotterl@earthlink.net wrote:
> My browser is Mozilla Firefox 60.0.1 and I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop PC.
>

> How can I solve these errors:
>
> "Problem loading page". "The connection has timed out. The server at (website) is taking too long to respond".
>
> "Server not found". "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at (website)".

Whenever that happens it's always useful trying this webpage:
<https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/>

--

Jeff
0
On 27/05/2018 6.04 pm, gcotterl@earthlink.net wrote:
> My browser is Mozilla Firefox 60.0.1 and I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop PC.
>

> How can I solve these errors:
>
> "Problem loading page". "The connection has timed out. The server at (website) is taking too long to respond".
>
> "Server not found". "Hmm. We�re having trouble finding that site. We can�t connect to the server at (website)".

As others have said - it sounds like dodgy DNS servers. BT's servers
were all over the place some weeks back, so I changed mine temporarily
to use Google DNS servers - they are pretty quick. It's not hard to do
and is explained here.

http://bit.ly/2xsOBTc

Big N.B -  if there are already DNS server addresses in place WRITE THEM
DOWN so you can easily go back if it doesn't help.

2nd method - the above will only change the machine on which you set the
new addresses - if you have more than one machine on your router's
network you will have to do all of them - or change your routers
settings to the Google DNS settings thus changing the whole network. How
you do this depends on your router. BT's Homehub 6 (which I use) has the
settings locked in and they cannot be changed.

Excellent tool for checking DNS server speeds  if you want to try other
DNS servers than Google - maybe before you change - is Gibson Research's
"DNS Bench" on their website for free.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Year - a period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.
0
Bob