Does This URL Work For You?

I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and footer.
Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can understand
blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...

Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel which
seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.
0
John
3/11/2018 10:39:41 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24234 articles. 7 followers. Post Follow

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 18:39:41 -0400, John McGaw
<no.where@all.dca1.giganews.com> wrote:

>I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
>tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
>etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and footer.
>Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can understand
>blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...
>
>Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel which
>seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

Looks like they have a problem. Don' know what was on their main page
though.

KenW
0
KenW
3/11/2018 10:49:39 PM
In message
<mailman.12.1520808013.2166.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, John
McGaw <no.where@all.dca1.giganews.com> writes:
>I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
>tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped
>cookies, etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a
>header and footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any
>ideas? I can understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this
>is ridiculous...
>
>Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
>which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

FWIW I get the same (black, with header [that does not move when I
scroll down] and footer, with old Firefox 26.

And much the same (the header is slightly different) in Chrome
["64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (32-bit)"].

Looks like _they_'ve had too much of the black stuff!

"... four Oscars, and two further nominations ... On these criteria, he's
Britain's most successful film director." Powell or Pressburger? no; Richard
Attenborough? no; Nick Park!
--------------71427BCA4854234869AC6246

On 3/11/18 6:39 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped
> cookies, etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a
> header and footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any
> ideas? I can understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but
> this is ridiculous...
>
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

Well the page loads, nothing works.

Error console shows.

|Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of
its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience. For more help
http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/  jquery.min.js:4:14346
Security Error: Content at
https://www.guinness.com/images/guinness-logo-new.svg attempted to load
https://www.guinness.com/Documents/Desktop%2025:07:16/newGuinnessHarp.png,
but may not load external data when being used as an image.
TypeError: document.getElementByTagName is not a function master.js:59:13
TypeError: document.getElementByTagName is not a function master.js:59:13

|Tested with a new profile using 59.0rc2.|

--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

--------------71427BCA4854234869AC6246

  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:mailman.12.1520808013.2166.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org">I've
      been trying to make use of <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.guinness.com/en-us/">https://www.guinness.com/en-us/</a> . Have
      tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped
      cookies, etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a
      header and footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer
      any ideas? I can understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness
      but this is ridiculous...
      Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta
      channel which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release
      version.
        because of its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience.
        For more help <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/">http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/</a>  jquery.min.js:4:14346<br>
        Security Error: Content at
        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.guinness.com/images/guinness-logo-new.svg">https://www.guinness.com/images/guinness-logo-new.svg</a> attempted
        to load
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.guinness.com/Documents/Desktop%2025:07:16/newGuinnessHarp.png">https://www.guinness.com/Documents/Desktop%2025:07:16/newGuinnessHarp.png</a>,
        but may not load external data when being used as an image.<br>
        TypeError: document.getElementByTagName is not a function
        master.js:59:13<br>
        TypeError: document.getElementByTagName is not a function
        master.js:59:13<br>
      </code></p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
Coexist <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="https://www.coexist.org/">&lt;https://www.coexist.org/&gt;</a>
National Popular Vote <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/">&lt;http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/&gt;</a>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
</pre>

--------------71427BCA4854234869AC6246--
0
WaltS48
3/11/2018 11:17:52 PM
On 03/11/2018 06:39 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and footer.
> Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can understand
> blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...
>
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel which
> seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

Works fine here. FF58.0.2 Ubuntu 18.04.
The page opens with  Guinness  Made of More
The menu in the top left opens and anything clicked on opens.
The links on the bottom of the page open when clicked. The search
function on the top right works.
Here is an image of the opening page
https://s18.postimg.org/g8up2i3jt/Guinness_Beer_Made_of_More_Guinness_-_Mozilla_Firefox_004.png

--
Caver1
0
On 2018-03-11 18:39, John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and
> footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
> understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...
>
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

Looks like it's a work in progress. The storehouse and webstore tabs
work (open in new tabs). Ditto for several of the items in the fooetr (I
didnp;[t test them all).

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On 12/3/2018 06:39, John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and
> footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
> understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...

I saw a black screen as well. Firefox 58.0.2 with uBlock Origin add-on.
Though I saw something flashed inside that center darkness.... :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
On 12/3/2018 15:57, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 12/3/2018 06:39, John McGaw wrote:
>> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
>> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
>> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and
>> footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
>> understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is
>> ridiculous...
>
> I saw a black screen as well. Firefox 58.0.2 with uBlock Origin add-on.
> Though I saw something flashed inside that center darkness.... :)

BTW, could it that the webpage needs Edge or IE?

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
   ^ ^   (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10)  Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
Mr
3/12/2018 7:58:11 AM
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 18:39:41 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and
> footer.
> Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
> understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is
> ridiculous...
>
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

Firefox 52.6.0 under Mageia 6: the site works perfectly here.

Herman Viaene
0
Herman
3/12/2018 9:31:17 AM
John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and footer.
> Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can understand
> blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel which
> seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

Despite the latter it might be good to know that it works just fine in
FF ESR (32), PaleMoon (32) and SeaMonkey.

-p

0
PietB
3/12/2018 10:01:43 AM
On 3/11/2018 6:39 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and footer.
> Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can understand
> blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...
>
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel which
> seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

OK. I went through all of my systems except for the old Windows Home Server
and determined that exactly one of them, a Mint Linux system in the
basement 'server room' is able to see the site, presumably as it is meant
to be seen. That one is running FF 58.02. The same version running the same
Mint release on a notebook in the office shows just the black screen  My
visit was enough to tell me that what I was searching for -- the recipe for
the beef stew that Guinness serves at their restaurant in Dublin -- is no
longer available so all was for naught. Thanks to everyone who replied. I
am no more enlightened as to the cause -- probably just one of those
mysteries of the universe...

0
John
3/12/2018 2:40:18 PM
John McGaw wrote on 3/12/2018 07:40:
> recipe for the beef stew that Guinness serves at their restaurant in Dublin

This might be the recipe:
https://www.goodfoodireland.ie/recipe/signature-beef-guinness-stew-guinness-storehouse-executive-head-chef-justin-oconnor

Yesterday I got the black screen, today the Guinness website works fine
for me.

Lance
*****
0
Lance
3/12/2018 3:25:40 PM
John McGaw wrote on 3/12/2018 8:40 AM:
> On 3/11/2018 6:39 PM, John McGaw wrote:
>> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
>> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped
>> cookies, etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a
>> header and footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any
>> ideas? I can understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but
>> this is ridiculous...
>>
>> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
>> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.
>
> OK. I went through all of my systems except for the old Windows Home
> Server and determined that exactly one of them, a Mint Linux system in
> the basement 'server room' is able to see the site, presumably as it is
> meant to be seen. That one is running FF 58.02. The same version running
> the same Mint release on a notebook in the office shows just the black
> screen  My visit was enough to tell me that what I was searching for --
> the recipe for the beef stew that Guinness serves at their restaurant in
> Dublin -- is no longer available so all was for naught. Thanks to
> everyone who replied. I am no more enlightened as to the cause --
> probably just one of those mysteries of the universe...

The web site now works as noted by others. There is a recipe for braised
short ribs. It's not the stew but might be comparable.
--
Jeff Barnett

0
Jeff
3/12/2018 3:37:17 PM
John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and
> footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
> understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...
>
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

The page loads for me.

0
EE
3/12/2018 3:53:35 PM
Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 12/3/2018 15:57, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> On 12/3/2018 06:39, John McGaw wrote:
>>> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
>>> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
>>> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and
>>> footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
>>> understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is
>>> ridiculous...
>>
>> I saw a black screen as well. Firefox 58.0.2 with uBlock Origin add-on.
>> Though I saw something flashed inside that center darkness.... :)
>>

> BTW, could it that the webpage needs Edge or IE?

Maybe it needs SeaMonkey!

0
EE
3/12/2018 3:56:28 PM
On 3/12/2018 11:25 AM, Lance wrote:
> John McGaw wrote on 3/12/2018 07:40:
>> recipe for the beef stew that Guinness serves at their restaurant in Dublin
>
> This might be the recipe:
> https://www.goodfoodireland.ie/recipe/signature-beef-guinness-stew-guinness-storehouse-executive-head-chef-justin-oconnor
>

> Yesterday I got the black screen, today the Guinness website works fine for
> me.
>
> Lance
> *****

Thanks! That recipe looks as if it might be the one I'm looking for.
Guinness used to have it on the website and I failed to copy/print it at
the time, assuming it would always be there.
0
John
--------------020101040900010304030701

On 11/03/2018 22:39, John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped
> cookies, etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a
> header and footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any
> ideas? I can understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but
> this is ridiculous...
>
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

It works here but it could be that they have fixed it AFTER to posted
here.  (52.5.4 ESR)

--------------020101040900010304030701

  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:mailman.12.1520808013.2166.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">I've been trying to make use of
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.guinness.com/en-us/">https://www.guinness.com/en-us/</a> . Have tried all of the usual
      stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies, etc with no luck
      -- just basically a black screen with a header and footer. Do you
      see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
      understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is
      ridiculous...
      Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta
      channel which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release
      version.
    It works here but it could be that they have fixed it AFTER to
    posted here.  (52.5.4 ESR)<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------020101040900010304030701--
0
Good
3/12/2018 4:59:54 PM
On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 15:58:11 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
<toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/3/2018 15:57, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> On 12/3/2018 06:39, John McGaw wrote:
>>> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
>>> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
>>> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and
>>> footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
>>> understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is
>>> ridiculous...
>>
>> I saw a black screen as well. Firefox 58.0.2 with uBlock Origin add-on.
>> Though I saw something flashed inside that center darkness.... :)
>>

>BTW, could it that the webpage needs Edge or IE?

No, it works fine in FireFox 58.0.2.
0
Ken
3/12/2018 5:14:31 PM
On 03/11/2018 06:39 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped cookies,
> etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a header and
> footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any ideas? I can
> understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but this is ridiculous...
>
> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.

Works just fine for me ESR firefox-52.6.0-1.el6_9.x86_64

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 16:30:01 up 46 days, 4:27, 2 users, load average: 4.14, 4.40, 4.55
0
Jean
3/12/2018 8:34:57 PM
On 12/03/2018 15:53, EE wrote:
> John McGaw wrote:
>> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ . Have
>> tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped
>> cookies, etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a
>> header and footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer any
>> ideas? I can understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness but
>> this is ridiculous...
>>
>> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
>> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.
>
> The page loads for me.

Same here. But I cannot enter my birthday, nothing ever happens no
matter what I click on.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
0
On 3/12/18 7:40 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 12/03/2018 15:53, EE wrote:
>> John McGaw wrote:
>>> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/ .
>>> Have tried all of the usual stuff -- safe mode, cleared cache, wiped
>>> cookies, etc with no luck -- just basically a black screen with a
>>> header and footer. Do you see anything different or can you offer
>>> any ideas? I can understand blacking out after a _lot_ of Guinness
>>> but this is ridiculous...
>>>
>>> Oh, BTW I'm using the the current thing offered on the beta channel
>>> which seems to be 59.0 (64-bit) under W10, latest release version.
>>
>> The page loads for me.
>>

> Same here. But I cannot enter my birthday, nothing ever happens no
> matter what I click on.

When I tried the link before, the "Can we see some ID please?" dialog
box didn't appear, and nothing I clicked on worked.

Guinness must have fixed the bug in the web site.

--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

0
WaltS48
3/13/2018 12:09:01 AM
On 03/12/2018 05:09 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 3/12/18 7:40 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:

>>> The page loads for me.
>>>

>> Same here. But I cannot enter my birthday, nothing ever happens no
>> matter what I click on.
>>

> When I tried the link before, the "Can we see some ID please?" dialog
> box didn't appear, and nothing I clicked on worked.
>
> Guinness must have fixed the bug in the web site.

Everything seems to work fine -- FF52ESR/64-bit linux.

--
Cheers, Bev
  " While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.
On 13/3/2018 01:14, Ken Blake wrote:

> No, it works fine in FireFox 58.0.2.

Oh no, it works TODAY! :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
   ^ ^   (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10)  Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
Mr
3/13/2018 4:23:59 AM
On 12/3/2018 06:39, John McGaw wrote:
> I've been trying to make use of https://www.guinness.com/en-us/....

Oh no... it works today, no blackness in the center! Did someone signal
that website' admin? ;)