default google search engine points NOT to www.google.com

hi there,

(Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111
Firefox/1.5.0.1 ID:2006011112)

I try to figure out a strange problem. my default search engine (the one
located in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\google.src")  is
according to the google.src file pointing correctly to www.google.com.
fine...

however, doing a search in the searchbar with google as searchengine
selected, will point me either to
www.google.fr   or
http://www.google.co.il

i am somewhat puzzled. how does this happen?

any hint is appreciated

thanks

dan

content of "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\google.src"
-------
# Mozilla/Google plug-in by amitp+mozilla@google.com

<search
   name="Google"
   description="Google Search"
   method="GET"
   action="http://www.google.com/search"
   queryCharset="utf-8"

<input name="q" user>
<inputnext name="start" factor="10">
<inputprev>
<input name="ie" value="utf-8">
<input name="oe" value="utf-8">

<interpret
    browserResultType="result"
    charset = "UTF-8"
    resultListStart="<!--a-->"
    resultListEnd="<!--z-->"
    resultItemStart="<!--m-->"
    resultItemEnd="<!--n-->"

</search>

<browser
    update="https://addons.mozilla.org/searchplugins/updates/google.src"
    updateIcon="https://addons.mozilla.org/searchplugins/updates/google.gif"
    updateCheckDays="1"

-------

0
Dan

Dan wrote:
> hi there,
>
> (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111
> Firefox/1.5.0.1 ID:2006011112)
>
> I try to figure out a strange problem. my default search engine (the one
> located in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\google.src")  is
> according to the google.src file pointing correctly to www.google.com.
> fine...
>
> however, doing a search in the searchbar with google as searchengine
> selected, will point me either to
> www.google.fr   or
> http://www.google.co.il
>
> i am somewhat puzzled. how does this happen?
>
> any hint is appreciated

just a hint on the fly: cookies, or the lack of them. I hate that google
behaviour, acting smart on me and diverting me to google.se when I type
in e. g. google.com or google.de, unless I have some bloody cookies set.

I told them so when then introduced that IMNSHO broken behaviour. you
only need to accept one or two cookies from them for setting your
preferences, then you can cut any further cookies from them.

Some interesting references (disclaimer, it may contain FUD, haven't
checked thoroughly):
http://www.google-watch.org/cgi-bin/cookie.htm
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11/open_source_google_scraper/

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
2/27/2006 8:45:30 PM
Hey Gudmund,

That was it!

deleted all google cookies and now it goes where it should.

thanks a lot!

dan

ps. pretty interesting links.. :-)

"Gudmund Areskoug" <"fta at algonet dot se"> wrote in message
> Dan wrote:
>> hi there,
>>
>> (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
>> Gecko/20060111
>> Firefox/1.5.0.1 ID:2006011112)
>>
>> I try to figure out a strange problem. my default search engine (the one
>> located in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\google.src")
>> is
>> according to the google.src file pointing correctly to www.google.com.
>> fine...
>>
>> however, doing a search in the searchbar with google as searchengine
>> selected, will point me either to
>> www.google.fr   or
>> http://www.google.co.il
>>
>> i am somewhat puzzled. how does this happen?
>>
>> any hint is appreciated
>

> just a hint on the fly: cookies, or the lack of them. I hate that google
> behaviour, acting smart on me and diverting me to google.se when I type
> in e. g. google.com or google.de, unless I have some bloody cookies set.
>
> I told them so when then introduced that IMNSHO broken behaviour. you
> only need to accept one or two cookies from them for setting your
> preferences, then you can cut any further cookies from them.
>
> Some interesting references (disclaimer, it may contain FUD, haven't
> checked thoroughly):
> http://www.google-watch.org/cgi-bin/cookie.htm
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11/open_source_google_scraper/
>
> BR,
> Gudmund

0
Dan
2/27/2006 9:09:53 PM
Dan wrote:
> Hey Gudmund,
>
> That was it!
>
> deleted all google cookies and now it goes where it should.
>
> thanks a lot!

:)

> dan
>
> ps. pretty interesting links.. :-)

Yes. Found them while trying to make out what to make of Google and free
speech, what with the China censorship and all.

BTW, before someone grumps about it: taste of the group is bottom
posting :).

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
2/27/2006 9:16:47 PM
Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>
>>hi there,
>>
>>(Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111
>>Firefox/1.5.0.1 ID:2006011112)
>>
>>I try to figure out a strange problem. my default search engine (the one
>>located in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\google.src")  is
>>according to the google.src file pointing correctly to www.google.com.
>>fine...
>>
>>however, doing a search in the searchbar with google as searchengine
>>selected, will point me either to
>>www.google.fr   or
>>http://www.google.co.il
>>
>>i am somewhat puzzled. how does this happen?
>>
>>any hint is appreciated
>

> just a hint on the fly: cookies, or the lack of them. I hate that google
> behaviour, acting smart on me and diverting me to google.se when I type
> in e. g. google.com or google.de, unless I have some bloody cookies set.
>
> I told them so when then introduced that IMNSHO broken behaviour. you
> only need to accept one or two cookies from them for setting your
> preferences, then you can cut any further cookies from them.
>
> Some interesting references (disclaimer, it may contain FUD, haven't
> checked thoroughly):
> http://www.google-watch.org/cgi-bin/cookie.htm
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11/open_source_google_scraper/
>
> BR,
> Gudmund
but isn't the OPs problem related to his Internet Address?  When the
OP googles, google looks at his IA, fugures out where thats located ,
then uses the google nearest him.
0
gwtc
2/27/2006 9:24:40 PM
gwtc wrote:
> Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
>
>> Dan wrote:
>>
>>> hi there,
>>>
>>> (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
>>> Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 ID:2006011112)
>>>
>>> I try to figure out a strange problem. my default search engine (the
>>> one located in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
>>> Firefox\searchplugins\google.src")  is according to the google.src
>>> file pointing correctly to www.google.com. fine...
>>>
>>> however, doing a search in the searchbar with google as searchengine
>>> selected, will point me either to
>>> www.google.fr   or
>>> http://www.google.co.il
>>>
>>> i am somewhat puzzled. how does this happen?
>>>
>>> any hint is appreciated
>>

>> just a hint on the fly: cookies, or the lack of them. I hate that google
>> behaviour, acting smart on me and diverting me to google.se when I type
>> in e. g. google.com or google.de, unless I have some bloody cookies set.
>>
>> I told them so when then introduced that IMNSHO broken behaviour. you
>> only need to accept one or two cookies from them for setting your
>> preferences, then you can cut any further cookies from them.
>>
>> Some interesting references (disclaimer, it may contain FUD, haven't
>> checked thoroughly):
>> http://www.google-watch.org/cgi-bin/cookie.htm
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11/open_source_google_scraper/
>>
>> BR,
>> Gudmund
> but isn't the OPs problem related to his Internet Address?  When the OP
> googles, google looks at his IA, fugures out where thats located , then
> uses the google nearest him.

Yes and no, what you say is what it does, but that's IMNSHO not a
desired behaviour, so it takes cookies to set it back straight.

If I go looking at google.de, I want to see the German variety of
Google, not be redirected to the Swedish one just because that's where I
(or rather - my current ISP connection) happen to be at the time.

BR,
Gudmund
0
Gudmund
2/27/2006 9:32:57 PM
> gwtc wrote:
>> Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

>>> just a hint on the fly: cookies, or the lack of them. I hate that google
>>> behaviour, acting smart on me and diverting me to google.se when I type
>>> in e. g. google.com or google.de, unless I have some bloody cookies set.
>>>
>>> I told them so when then introduced that IMNSHO broken behaviour. you
>>> only need to accept one or two cookies from them for setting your
>>> preferences, then you can cut any further cookies from them.
>>>
>>> Some interesting references (disclaimer, it may contain FUD, haven't
>>> checked thoroughly):
>>> http://www.google-watch.org/cgi-bin/cookie.htm
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11/open_source_google_scraper/
>>>
>>> BR,
>>> Gudmund
>> but isn't the OPs problem related to his Internet Address?  When the OP
>> googles, google looks at his IA, fugures out where thats located , then
>> uses the google nearest him.
>
> Yes and no, what you say is what it does, but that's IMNSHO not a
> desired behaviour, so it takes cookies to set it back straight.
>
> If I go looking at google.de, I want to see the German variety of
> Google, not be redirected to the Swedish one just because that's where I
> (or rather - my current ISP connection) happen to be at the time.

agreed. I am in Switzerland and was redirected to the Israel google site.
what for?
I have never been there before. france, I would eventually understand.. but
Israel?

anyway, problem is solved for me.

dan

0
Dan
2/28/2006 10:28:14 AM
On Monday, February 27, 2006 5:57:22 PM UTC, Dan wrote:
> hi there,
>
> (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111
> Firefox/1.5.0.1 ID:2006011112)
>
> I try to figure out a strange problem. my default search engine (the one
> located in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\google.src")  is
> according to the google.src file pointing correctly to www.google.com.
> fine...
>
> however, doing a search in the searchbar with google as searchengine
> selected, will point me either to
> www.google.fr   or
> http://www.google.co.il
>
> i am somewhat puzzled. how does this happen?
>
> any hint is appreciated
>
> thanks
>
> dan
>

> content of "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\google.src"
> -------
> # Mozilla/Google plug-in by amitp+mozilla@google.com
>
> <search
>    name="Google"
>    description="Google Search"
>    method="GET"
>    action="http://www.google.com/search"
>    queryCharset="utf-8"
> >

> <input name="q" user>
> <inputnext name="start" factor="10">
> <inputprev>
> <input name="ie" value="utf-8">
> <input name="oe" value="utf-8">
>
> <interpret
>     browserResultType="result"
>     charset = "UTF-8"
>     resultListStart="<!--a-->"
>     resultListEnd="<!--z-->"
>     resultItemStart="<!--m-->"
>     resultItemEnd="<!--n-->"
> >
> </search>
>
> <browser
>     update="https://addons.mozilla.org/searchplugins/updates/google.src"
>     updateIcon="https://addons.mozilla.org/searchplugins/updates/google.gif"
>     updateCheckDays="1"
> >

> -------

I am using Google Chrome and Windows 7. I have set Google as my default search but Yahoo appears every time.
0
david
3/21/2013 2:47:58 PM
On 2013-03-21 10:47 AM, david@jenoseel.com wrote:
> I am using Google Chrome and Windows 7. I have set Google as my default search but Yahoo appears every time.

Firefox and Chrome are separate browsers, independent of each other.
If you're having trouble with Chrome, go to the Chrome support site at
<http://support.google.com/chrome/>

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris

http://www.google.com/firefox -- default search
Name: Noble Steed Product: Firefox Summary: http://www.google.com/firefox -- default search Comments: I love Firefox. Its the only browser I use. The one annoying thing about using the default google search area in the upper right hand corner of Firefox is that it doesn't have the gmail link on its page (http://www.google.com/firefox). It has all other default hyperlinks that the normal google page has except for this one. Please put it in there. Sure I could add gmail to my toolbar bookmarks but its full and I like the space for other sites that I frequent. Th...

A Forget between Google Firefox?Client & Google (default : google.com (.fr for me))
Name: Artet Jah Fakoly Email: mek_vincentathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: A Forget between Google Firefox?Client & Google (default : google.com (.fr for me)) Comments: y0 Paillete or Paille! Like i say in the summary I dont understand why with http://www.google.fr/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official the option "outils linguistiques" in french sorry, dont appear, you see !!! I explain we have options shit "recherche avancée" in french sorry, and "préférences" in french always sorry but no &q...

Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink to the standard Goog
Name: Charles Douglass Garnett III Email: cgarnettatstudentdotumassdotedu Product: Firefox Summary: Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink to the standard Google website. Comments: Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink t...

search engines
Name: Peter Fairbrother Email: zenadsl6186atzendotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: search engines - google.com vs google.co.uk? Comments: I'm in the UK. When I enter google.com I get to google.co.uk by default. There's a significant difference. The EU has different data retention laws to the US, and I want to search on google.co.uk, and not have my search passed through google.com, where a record of my searches will be available to US law enforcement agencies etc, either through a Court order or without one. I'd like to be able to change the search engine in...

Search engine site reflect google.co.uk not google.com
Search engine site reflect google.co.uk not google.com same with yahoo.co.uk -- Kevin long "Kevin Long" <kevinlong@worldwideproductsinc.com> wrote in <news:TdydnfZrkoqYQnnZnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>: > Search engine site reflect google.co.uk not google.com > > same with yahoo.co.uk It's not clear whether or not you have a problem you need help with. If you do, these two links should help: <http://mycroft.mozdev.org/install.html> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstall_search_plugins> -- �Q� Kevin Long wrote:...

Firefox from google.com to google.nl
I have always used Google.com to search, it came installed as default search engine when installing Firefox. I added some search engines a few months ago, all was well. And NOW I suddenly notice that I am searching using google.nl. Not that I think .nl is bad, but it's not something I changed myself and I want things to stay put where I want them to be. I never searched in Dutch specifically. Never went to the dutch google site by choice. I am appalled! In the History, I can see that before yesterday, all the search pages were served by from google.com, and for late last night, I ...

google.com redirected to google.co.in in Firefox
Okay, since I don't know why this is happening I thought I better ask around. Whenever I type in www.google.com or use the google search from firefox it goes to google.co.in(the india version). Now why is this happening? I'm using English Window XP and region is Australia. Language in Firefox is EN-US <Just checked what's happening in IE> Hmm, in IE www.google.com is showed in Swedish(which is okay since I am swedish), but this would suggest is not a browser issue and something else? How does Firefox(and IE) decide which google page to show? Martin In...

Create Your own Google Search Engine using the Google API
You can get the Licence key at http://www.google.com/apis/ This sample shows how to make your own Search Engine in asp.net 2.0 with the Google.API Webservices. I am using an webusercontrol which would be bind to the asp.net Repeater   First the Google.aspx file: <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="~/Google.aspx.cs" Inherits="Google" %> <%@ Register TagPrefix="asp" TagName="SearchResult" Src="~/UserControls/SearchResult.ascx" %> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> <...

google.co.il instead of google.com by default
Name: Amit Email: amitdotgefenatbreach.com Product: Firefox Summary: google.co.il instead of google.com by default Comments: Hi I have a problem with FF (2.0.0.2) Every time I try to search with Google (default) search engine, the result comes from google.co.il instead of google.com Why is that??? :-( Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

The firefox lost the Google Search Engine!
Name: Powerboy Email: powerboy360atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: The firefox lost the Google Search Engine! Comments: My Firefox(Firefox3) lost the Google Search Engine,I mean if I use Control+K to tpye the keyword to search something,I can't select Google as my search engine,instead ,I can only use the Baidu.When I was browsering the directory of Firefox,there are no google.xml file.Because of this,I had to install Google Toolbar. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; zh-CN; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4 From URL: http://hendr...

Google Search engine in Firefox not in my language
Hello, I have Firefox 1.0. When I use the google window on the top-right corner, it opens automatically the www.google.ch website which is in german... but i don't speak german. I can understand that it opens google.ch since i'm located in Switzerland (though I don't know how it can know that and how to change that)... but how to configure this google tool in Firefox to be on google.fr automatically instead of google.ch (i'm french-speaking). Thanks for your help ! Thomas Thomas wrote: > Hello, > > I have Firefox 1.0. When I use the google w...

http://www.google.com/firefox
I would like to change this so that it opens in the regular Google, the one I stay logged into. I want a button on the toolbar that opens Google, but I prefer to set my homepage to something else. I've searched files and the registry for a string I can change, but haven't found anything. In IE 6 I was able to drag all my toolbars into 1 leaving a couple of drop down menus. I'm having trouble duplicating that in Firefox. Also in IE I relied a lot on using Control+N to open a duplicate of the same page I was viewing, and I would like a way to do the same thing in Firefox. ...

Is Google googling?
What is the deal? Has anyone ever had "Outbound" ICMP pings when just coming online on a dialup. I'm getting Outgoing Tcpip Kernel Driver pings to Google Inc. (NETBLK-GOOGLE) [216.239.35.100] 2400 E. Bayshore Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043 US, every time I log on to the internet. It also is followed by Outgoing pings going to InfoHouse, Inc. (NETBLK-INFOHOUSE-BLK) [64.61.61.86] 41 Pacella Park Drive, Randolph, MA 02368 US. These ping are consistent every log on, 3 of each for a total of 6. Why would Google be doing this and how? I am running WindowsXP Pro and I have ...

keeping google as my search engine on firefox
my search engine keeps switching to yahoo when I want google - even after I manually choose google as my default and remove yahoo completely from the list of possible search engines. I;m on a mac. What can I do? In <news:mailman.619.1433354855.30853.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Julie Motz <jaitantrevedetoi@gmail.com> wrote: > my search engine keeps switching to yahoo when I want google - even > after I manually choose google as my default and remove yahoo > completely from the list of possible search engines. I;m on a mac. > What can I do? Look for a...

Web resources about - default google search engine points NOT to www.google.com - mozilla.support.firefox

Default logic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Default logic is a non-monotonic logic proposed by Raymond Reiter to formalize reasoning with default assumptions. Default logic can express ...

Privacy Setting For New Facebook Users Aged 13-17 Now Defaults To ‘Friends’
Facebook is changing the initial default privacy setting for users aged 13 through 17 to friends, from friends of friends, but those teen users ...

Secure browsing by default
We now use https by default for all Facebook users. This feature, which we first introduced as an option two years ago , means that your browser ...

北方理財團隊的家園:http://group.hexun.com/m132312/default.html外汇交易员芬芳fenfang恭候您! - 芬芳FENFANG - 和讯博客
北方理財團隊的家園:http://group.hexun.com/m132312/default.html外汇交易员芬芳fenfang恭候您! - 芬芳FENFANG - 芬芳FENFANG的博客 - 和讯博客

Facebook changes default privacy settings for new users to friends-only
Facebook announced today a shift in privacy settings for new users. Now, when someone signs up for a profile, their default posting status is ...

Google AdSense Ads Scrolling Now Default? - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
More at www.seroundtable.com/archives/016753.html

Sen. Rand Paul on Debt Default - YouTube
Sen. Rand Paul on Debt Default - YouTube

Local bourse will suffer if US defaults
The picture is a worrying one for Australian investors if the impasse with the US debt ceiling is not resolved by the Thursday deadline.

Mortgage default risk rising
Moody's says housing affordability has 'deteriorated significantly', increasing default risk.