Custom protocols

Hello there,

Not sure if this is the right group for this, but then I dont know any
other.
=====

I've added a custom url protocol to windows registery and when clicking on
it in IE it launches my program perfectly. However whenever I click on it in
Firefox, a message box pops up saying an application is needed to handle
this protocol and gives no name.

mailto: ftp: etc all work fine
so the question is how do I get firefox to trust my protocol like mailto: is
?

Regards
Anthoni


0
Anthoni
8/20/2006 6:17:37 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

8 Replies
628 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42

Anthoni Gardner wrote:
> Hello there,
> 
> Not sure if this is the right group for this, but then I dont know any
> other.
> =====
> 
> I've added a custom url protocol to windows registery and when clicking on
> it in IE it launches my program perfectly. However whenever I click on it in
> Firefox, a message box pops up saying an application is needed to handle
> this protocol and gives no name.
> 
> mailto: ftp: etc all work fine
> so the question is how do I get firefox to trust my protocol like mailto: is
> ?
> 
> Regards
> Anthoni
> 
> 
i'd guess:

about:config
right click -> new -> string

Name = network.protocol-handler.app.XxXxXxX
Value = "C:\Program Files\Folder\Program.exe"

Replace XxXxXxX with the protocol name (as in, mailto for email, https 
for secure website...etc)

shutdown firefox, restart, try it.

I don't know what benefit this would be, except for you.  You'll have to 
do it to EVERY machine you get ahold of.  Sounds kinda excessive.
0
Tim
8/20/2006 7:41:17 AM
Hi Tim,

Would there be a way to do this programmatically ?

Regards
Anthoni

"Tim Judd" <tjudd01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:AuudneAKC86-j3XZnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org...
> Anthoni Gardner wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > Not sure if this is the right group for this, but then I dont know any
> > other.
> > =====
> >
> > I've added a custom url protocol to windows registery and when clicking
on
> > it in IE it launches my program perfectly. However whenever I click on
it in
> > Firefox, a message box pops up saying an application is needed to handle
> > this protocol and gives no name.
> >
> > mailto: ftp: etc all work fine
> > so the question is how do I get firefox to trust my protocol like
mailto: is
> > ?
> >
> > Regards
> > Anthoni
> >
> >
> i'd guess:
>
> about:config
> right click -> new -> string
>
> Name = network.protocol-handler.app.XxXxXxX
> Value = "C:\Program Files\Folder\Program.exe"
>
> Replace XxXxXxX with the protocol name (as in, mailto for email, https
> for secure website...etc)
>
> shutdown firefox, restart, try it.
>
> I don't know what benefit this would be, except for you.  You'll have to
> do it to EVERY machine you get ahold of.  Sounds kinda excessive.


0
Anthoni
8/20/2006 7:58:45 AM
Anthoni Gardner wrote:
> Hello there,
> 
> Not sure if this is the right group for this, but then I dont know any
> other.
> =====
> 
> I've added a custom url protocol to windows registery and when clicking on
> it in IE it launches my program perfectly. However whenever I click on it in
> Firefox, a message box pops up saying an application is needed to handle
> this protocol and gives no name.
> 
> mailto: ftp: etc all work fine
> so the question is how do I get firefox to trust my protocol like mailto: is
> ?
> 
> Regards
> Anthoni
> 
> 
what settings do you have in the registry?

-- 
Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

Recently, when I went to McDonald's I saw on the menu that you could 
have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets. I asked for a half 
dozen nuggets. "We don't have half dozen nuggets," said the teenager 
at the counter. "You don't?" I asked. "We only have six, nine, or 
twelve," was the reply. "So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I 
can order six?" "That's right." So I shook my head and ordered six 
McNuggets.
0
gwtc
8/20/2006 5:35:13 PM
"gwtc" <TheNewGWTC@rcnpfgra.gra> wrote in message
news:r_idnUVTGdegAXXZnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org...
> Anthoni Gardner wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > Not sure if this is the right group for this, but then I dont know any
> > other.
> > =====
> >
> > I've added a custom url protocol to windows registery and when clicking
on
> > it in IE it launches my program perfectly. However whenever I click on
it in
> > Firefox, a message box pops up saying an application is needed to handle
> > this protocol and gives no name.
> >
> > mailto: ftp: etc all work fine
> > so the question is how do I get firefox to trust my protocol like
mailto: is
> > ?
> >
> > Regards
> > Anthoni
> >
> >
> what settings do you have in the registry?

Hi,

I've set up the registry per M$ instructions as here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/pluggable/overview/appendix_a.
asp

I know thats a microsoft thing, but as the registry is global I thought
Firefox would respect it. It knows about the custom protocol, just wont tell
me what app it is, or how I can prevent that alert box.

Yahoo has somehow done it for their ymsgr:// protocol and I am trying to
work out what extra they did. I've done everything in  the registry that
they have, but still nothing.

Regards
Anthoni


0
Anthoni
8/20/2006 7:00:28 PM
Anthoni Gardner wrote:
> "gwtc" <TheNewGWTC@rcnpfgra.gra> wrote in message
> news:r_idnUVTGdegAXXZnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org...
>> Anthoni Gardner wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> Not sure if this is the right group for this, but then I dont know any
>>> other.
>>> =====
>>>
>>> I've added a custom url protocol to windows registery and when clicking
> on
>>> it in IE it launches my program perfectly. However whenever I click on
> it in
>>> Firefox, a message box pops up saying an application is needed to handle
>>> this protocol and gives no name.
>>>
>>> mailto: ftp: etc all work fine
>>> so the question is how do I get firefox to trust my protocol like
> mailto: is
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Anthoni
>>>
>>>
>> what settings do you have in the registry?
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I've set up the registry per M$ instructions as here
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/pluggable/overview/appendix_a.
> asp
> 
> I know thats a microsoft thing, but as the registry is global I thought
> Firefox would respect it. It knows about the custom protocol, just wont tell
> me what app it is, or how I can prevent that alert box.
> 
> Yahoo has somehow done it for their ymsgr:// protocol and I am trying to
> work out what extra they did. I've done everything in  the registry that
> they have, but still nothing.
> 
> Regards
> Anthoni
> 
> 
I get an error from that link.  Besides, I asked you what settings do 
you have?  What entries do you have?

-- 
Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

Recently, when I went to McDonald's I saw on the menu that you could 
have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets. I asked for a half 
dozen nuggets. "We don't have half dozen nuggets," said the teenager 
at the counter. "You don't?" I asked. "We only have six, nine, or 
twelve," was the reply. "So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I 
can order six?" "That's right." So I shook my head and ordered six 
McNuggets.
0
gwtc
8/20/2006 7:14:44 PM
Hi,

Here is what I have put into my registry

  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    test
    (Default) = "URL:Test Protocol"
    URL Protocol= ""
      DefaultIcon
      (Default) = "c:\test\testing.exe"
      shell
        open
          command
          (Default) = "c:\test\testing.exe" "%1"
When I enter test://?sample=test into internet explorer it opens up
perfectly.
Firefox shows the "launch external program" dialog and doesnt show a name.

Regards
Anthoni


0
Anthoni
8/20/2006 9:18:09 PM
Anthoni Gardner wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> 
> Would there be a way to do this programmatically ?
> 
> Regards
> Anthoni
> 
> "Tim Judd" <tjudd01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:AuudneAKC86-j3XZnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org...
>> Anthoni Gardner wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> Not sure if this is the right group for this, but then I dont know any
>>> other.
>>> =====
>>>
>>> I've added a custom url protocol to windows registery and when clicking
> on
>>> it in IE it launches my program perfectly. However whenever I click on
> it in
>>> Firefox, a message box pops up saying an application is needed to handle
>>> this protocol and gives no name.
>>>
>>> mailto: ftp: etc all work fine
>>> so the question is how do I get firefox to trust my protocol like
> mailto: is
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Anthoni
>>>
>>>
>> i'd guess:
>>
>> about:config
>> right click -> new -> string
>>
>> Name = network.protocol-handler.app.XxXxXxX
>> Value = "C:\Program Files\Folder\Program.exe"
>>
>> Replace XxXxXxX with the protocol name (as in, mailto for email, https
>> for secure website...etc)
>>
>> shutdown firefox, restart, try it.
>>
>> I don't know what benefit this would be, except for you.  You'll have to
>> do it to EVERY machine you get ahold of.  Sounds kinda excessive.
> 
> 
I have to translate from a windows box (next to me) to this linux box, 
there may be typos

I see a system-wide config file, C:\Program Files\Mozilla 
Firefox\defaults\prefs\firefox.js

add your requested protocol information to this file (append to the file)

Use the same syntax already in that file.

I do NOT know if FF will overwrite that file every upgrade, every run, 
or at all.

Generally, the Mozilla software reads the file at runtime, and will 
completely clobber and rewrite the file at exit time (if you have the 
downloads window open still, Mozilla hasn't closed yet).

Make sure firefox.exe isn't running, append to the file, and try.

Anything beyond that; I wouldn't know HOW to do it.
0
Tim
8/20/2006 10:15:32 PM
Hi,

More information
Apparently I am not the only one experiancing this.
Either as a user or as a developer.
It also shows up with real url protocols.

Regards
Anthoni

"Anthoni Gardner" <nono@spam.com> wrote in message
news:yoKdneHehKfQY3rZnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org...
> Hello there,
>
> Not sure if this is the right group for this, but then I dont know any
> other.
> =====
>
> I've added a custom url protocol to windows registery and when clicking on
> it in IE it launches my program perfectly. However whenever I click on it
in
> Firefox, a message box pops up saying an application is needed to handle
> this protocol and gives no name.
>
> mailto: ftp: etc all work fine
> so the question is how do I get firefox to trust my protocol like mailto:
is
> ?
>
> Regards
> Anthoni
>
>


0
Anthoni
8/21/2006 7:00:15 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to getting custom protocol custom-protocol://some-uri-path to act like http to support page browser?
For example. custom-protocol://some-uri-path/test.html I want the test.html works like http://some-web-site/test.html That I can navigate in the html page. On 6/24/15 1:10 PM, Yonggang Luo wrote: > For example. > custom-protocol://some-uri-path/test.html > > I want the test.html works like > > http://some-web-site/test.html > That I can navigate in the html page. > Check out nsIProtocolHandler Here is an implementation that directly forwards to http(s): http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/calendar/base/src/calProtocolHandler.js Ph...

A suggestion for ftp protocol support of firefox
Name: danscort Email: danscortatnbipdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: A suggestion for ftp protocol support of firefox Comments: I am using firefox 2.x.x and 3.0beta5 Firefox can support most ftp url , but its command sequence may be need some change to support distributed ftp , just like another gnu project named wget or curl[they can support distributed ftp] Current ftp commands sequence by firefox is : USER XXXX PASS XXXX SIZE [or MDTM] PASV RETR path\filename -------------------------------------------------- Right , this is OK under RFC959,but it is not enough In ...

Firefox Custom Protocols, Open OS X Finder
We have a system for tracking tasks. In each task, I want to add a link for our designers to click on that will open up the associated project folder in Finder. The best solution that I can come up with so far is to create a custom protocol that would run an Applescript taking the URL as a variable and directing Finder to open the folder. As such, the url in Firefox would be as follows: finder:///Volumes/Production/etc/etc/etc I tried to add a custom protocol using the about:config window. I added these two keys: ========== String: network.protocol-handler.app.finder =...

custom URL protocol handler apparently ignored by Firefox
hey, I am writing a xulrunner based stand alone application (not a firefox extension) and I need to be able to launch it from the default web browser. I programmatically implemented http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol for the Windows case (i.e. using registry keys) Opera and IE manage to launch my app. However, Firefox keeps prompting to choose for an app without suggesting my app by default. I have seen other app being launched/prompte by FF, for instance through picasa:// or ymsgr://. I have tested on XP and and Vista with no luck. What can I be missing? How ca...

new protocol handler crashes Firefox on img src with new protocol, starting with Firefox 3.0.5
Hello! So I've had working for a couple of months now an extension which implements a new protocol handler. Its new channel most of the time redirects to an URL with a conventional protocol/scheme. Generally, it works fine. Now, a couple of months ago, using Firefox 3.0.4, I could have something like this: (img src="hdl:cnri.test.robert/5" /) with angle brackets instead of course, and if hdl:cnri.test.robert/5 redirects to http://whatever/whatever.jpg, you would successfully see whatever.jpg. This still works using Firefox 3.0.4. However, in Firefox ...

Firefox support should be ...
-- i think -- Firefox support should last 5 years to 7 years for Firefox 2.x.x.x and 3.x.x ...

Customized Firefox
Name: JT Burchett Email: ceoatccomponlinedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Customized Firefox Comments: There are a lot of people who use Firefox, but you also have to see that there are many who have never heard of it. So many PC users are still using IE. My proposition is that, I would like to make Firefox downloadable on my website but I would like it to be customized enough to show that Firefox is the supported web browser of ccomponline.com. Please contact me if you are interested in doing this. Thank You! JT Burchet Administrator C. Comp Customs Browser Detail...

Firefox Not supported
Name: Chris Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Not supported Comments: Firefox not supported on NatWest online banking. Running Firefox version 3.1b3 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

FIrefox support
I have had a message posted now for about two weeks in here and no replies - I'm used to the old Netscape support group that seemed to be very involved in anyone's issues - a lot of discussion and support. Does anyone have suggestions for links for technical support for Firefox browser? I like the browser and would like to switch over from Netscape but I need some help. Appreciate any ideas and links. On 23.09.2007 01:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused technical80@yahoo.com to generate the following:? : > I have had a message posted now for about two weeks in here ...

Firefox Support?
Hopefully someone will answer this. I have seen several posts asking about Firefox support in NW65SP3 with no responses. I see that support should be there in SP3, but it isn't working on any of the servers in our school district. I am running FF 1.0.4, and the 4.0.5 iPrint client. We are still receiving the message that iPrint is not installed. Is there something that I need to do on the server to enable iPrint support for other browsers? -- ----------------------------------------------------------------- Timothy M. Musa Community Consolidated School District 93 ...

firefox support
Name: hen Product: Firefox Summary: firefox support Comments: firefox should support Firefox 2.x.x.x and 3.x.x - 5 years to 7 years should be good support Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Firefox support
There is a new IPrint client (4.05) on Novell's site. Does this version support Firefox? Thanks. MC No issues for iPrint 4.0.5 under Firefox 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. I also had no issues under earlier iPrint clients either. >>> Mike<curt@fordhamprep.org> 4/14/2005 10:55 AM >>> There is a new IPrint client (4.05) on Novell's site. Does this version support Firefox? Thanks. MC Michael Fraser wrote: > No issues for iPrint 4.0.5 under Firefox 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. > > I also had no issues under earlier iPrint clients either. > >...

Customizing Firefox
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/best_of/firefox.htm ...

Support Firefox
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Support Firefox Comments: In US, online banks can be accessed by using firefox, which is not the case in China since in China banks usually issue a plug-in which is a pre-requsite and is only compatible with IE. I believe this problem hinders the more poluparization of FIREFOX in China. But in US, this is hardly a problem, I prefer Firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; zh-CN; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response...

Web resources about - Custom protocols - mozilla.support.firefox

List of parties to the Kyoto Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Signing is optional, indicating an intention to ratify the Protocol. Ratification means that an Annex I party (e.g. a developed country or one ...

Nest’s Weave protocol for the connected home now open to third-party developers
Nest Weave, the communications protocol that Nest uses to make its connected home devices talk to each other, definitely isn't new. But as of ...

NAB joins global banks to design 'blockchain' protocols
National Australia Bank has joined 20 global global banks in a trial of technologies based on the "blockchain" that facilitates bitcoin transactions. ...

New attacks on Network Time Protocol can defeat HTTPS and create chaos
... or tamper with Bitcoin transactions, computer scientists warned Wednesday. The vulnerabilities reside in the N etwork Time Protocol , the widely ...

Case Keenum concussion challenges NFL protocol
Rams quarterback was obviously woozy after his head slammed the ground, but he never missed a play, leading to many questions for NFL

Terrence Jones returns to practice after passing concussion protocol
Rockets forward Terrence Jones returned to practice on Thursday after going through the NBA’s concussion protocol, saying he felt no loss of ...

IDG Contributor Network: OAuth 2.0: The protocol at the center of the universe
I am writing this article on the iPad Mini using the Editorial app. This app is connected to my Dropbox account and automatically synchronizes ...

'Routine,' 'standard,' and 'protocol' for police usually means overkill for black folks
A neighbor sees someone who may be breaking into a home. Civic-minded and filled with neighborly concern, the witness dials 911 and asks police ...

Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
Mentor Graphics has announced its Veloce VirtuaLAB Ethernet environment with support for 25Gb, 50Gb and 100Gb Ethernet. VirtuaLAB is Mentor Graphics' ...

Broadcom Grows Protocol Support in WICED IoT Chips
The company is introducing its WICED Core ELO SoCs that support such protocols as ZigBee, Bluetooth, 6LoWPAN and IEEE 802.15.4.

Resources last updated: 12/11/2015 10:27:30 PM