Changing bookmarks outside Firefox

I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
bookmarks?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Cecil
3/18/2017 4:04:40 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23865 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

--------------070900020806070507070409

On 18/03/2017 16:04, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
> bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
> see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
> bookmarks?

The best way to maintain bookmarks is to create your own webpage on
which you list all your bookmarks with appropriate links and
descriptions.  This webpage becomes your default page in FF or IE or
Edge.  This ensures all your bookmarks are available to you with a short
description of what they are.

Of course, you need to know how to create a basic webpage to start with
but since you know something about programming, you should be able to do
this quite easily. People should have some interest to take control of
their lives otherwise they will depend on third parties and whinge when
something doesn't work as they would like to work!.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

--------------070900020806070507070409

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:mailman.484.1489860053.10543.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
bookmarks?

</pre>
        The best way to maintain bookmarks is to create your own webpage
        on which you list all your bookmarks with appropriate links and
        descriptions.  This webpage becomes your default page in FF or
        IE or Edge.  This ensures all your bookmarks are available to
        you with a short description of what they are.<br>
        Of course, you need to know how to create a basic webpage to
        start with but since you know something about programming, you
        should be able to do this quite easily. People should have some
        interest to take control of their lives otherwise they will
        depend on third parties and whinge when something doesn't work
        as they would like to work!.<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 500 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------070900020806070507070409--
0
Good
3/18/2017 6:27:50 PM
On 03/18/2017 02:27 PM, Good Guy wrote:
> On 18/03/2017 16:04, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
>> bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
>> see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
>> bookmarks?
>>

> The best way to maintain bookmarks is to create your own webpage on
> which you list all your bookmarks with appropriate links and
> descriptions.  This webpage becomes your default page in FF or IE or
> Edge.  This ensures all your bookmarks are available to you with a short
> description of what they are.
>
> Of course, you need to know how to create a basic webpage to start with
> but since you know something about programming, you should be able to do
> this quite easily. People should have some interest to take control of
> their lives otherwise they will depend on third parties and whinge when
> something doesn't work as they would like to work!.

I even went one step beyond and wrote a program in C that would parse FF
bookmarks (if exported to HTML was set) and make pages and an index.html
that I could FTP to my website.   One click batch file.

0
Big
3/18/2017 7:00:34 PM
On 3/18/2017 12:04 PM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
> bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
> see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
> bookmarks?

Are you aware of Firefox / History / Show All History / Import and Backup
?
Nice tool, but not automated.
Each profile has a folder with the related files (4) in that profile

Carl
0
king
3/18/2017 10:23:28 PM
Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> Wrote in message:
> I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
> bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
> see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
> bookmarks?

Can you not do it by writing an addon? Webextensions has a
 bookmarks API, but I don't know what its limitations
 are.

If you need to do it in an external program do you plan to update
 places.sqlite (assuming desktop) while Fx is running? I don't
 know if that would work; you could experiment with a sqlite tool
 and find out.

Another possibility might be to use sync. Build your own sync
 server and sync an amended set of bookmarks, as if it were
 another instance of Fx.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
Good Guy wrote:
> On 18/03/2017 16:04, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
>> bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
>> see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
>> bookmarks?
>>

> The best way to maintain bookmarks is to create your own webpage on
> which you list all your bookmarks with appropriate links and
> descriptions.  This webpage becomes your default page in FF or IE or
> Edge.  This ensures all your bookmarks are available to you with a short
> description of what they are.
>
> Of course, you need to know how to create a basic webpage to start with
> but since you know something about programming, you should be able to do
> this quite easily. People should have some interest to take control of
> their lives otherwise they will depend on third parties and whinge when
> something doesn't work as they would like to work!.

There is no need to write a special webpage for bookmarks.  Just have
them saved as .html and load that file as the home page at startup.  In
about:config, set browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to true.

0
EE
3/19/2017 5:03:44 PM
EE wrote:
> Good Guy wrote:
>> On 18/03/2017 16:04, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>> I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
>>> bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
>>> see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
>>> bookmarks?
>>>

>> The best way to maintain bookmarks is to create your own webpage on
>> which you list all your bookmarks with appropriate links and
>> descriptions.  This webpage becomes your default page in FF or IE or
>> Edge.  This ensures all your bookmarks are available to you with a short
>> description of what they are.
>>
>> Of course, you need to know how to create a basic webpage to start with
>> but since you know something about programming, you should be able to do
>> this quite easily. People should have some interest to take control of
>> their lives otherwise they will depend on third parties and whinge when
>> something doesn't work as they would like to work!.
>>

> There is no need to write a special webpage for bookmarks.  Just have
> them saved as .html and load that file as the home page at startup.  In
> about:config, set browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to true.

Thanks EE, good info.
Also read: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML
and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks.html
0
Luis
3/20/2017 11:19:27 AM
On Sunday, 3/19/2017 1:03 PM, EE wrote:
> Good Guy wrote:
>> On 18/03/2017 16:04, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>> I am thinking about writing an application to maintain my Firefox
>>> bookmarks. The problem is that it often takes some time for Firefox to
>>> see the changes I made. Is there a way to force Firefox to reread the
>>> bookmarks?
>>>

>> The best way to maintain bookmarks is to create your own webpage on
>> which you list all your bookmarks with appropriate links and
>> descriptions.  This webpage becomes your default page in FF or IE or
>> Edge.  This ensures all your bookmarks are available to you with a short
>> description of what they are.
>>
>> Of course, you need to know how to create a basic webpage to start with
>> but since you know something about programming, you should be able to do
>> this quite easily. People should have some interest to take control of
>> their lives otherwise they will depend on third parties and whinge when
>> something doesn't work as they would like to work!.
>>

> There is no need to write a special webpage for bookmarks.  Just have
> them saved as .html and load that file as the home page at startup.  In
> about:config, set browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to true.

This used to be easier in Netscape.  Netscape automatically stored
bookmarks in HTML format.  So you could just use that file as your
home page and it would update with new bookmarks automatically.

0
Gabor
3/20/2017 8:24:36 PM
On 3/20/2017 4:24 PM, Gabor wrote:
> On Sunday, 3/19/2017 1:03 PM, EE wrote:
>> Good Guy wrote:
>>>>

>>> The best way to maintain bookmarks is to create your own webpage on
>>> which you list all your bookmarks with appropriate links and
>>> descriptions.  This webpage becomes your default page in FF or IE or
>>> Edge.  This ensures all your bookmarks are available to you with a short
>>> description of what they are.
>>>
>>> Of course, you need to know how to create a basic webpage to start with
>>> but since you know something about programming, you should be able to do
>>> this quite easily. People should have some interest to take control of
>>> their lives otherwise they will depend on third parties and whinge when
>>> something doesn't work as they would like to work!.
>>>

>> There is no need to write a special webpage for bookmarks.  Just have
>> them saved as .html and load that file as the home page at startup.  In
>> about:config, set browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to true.
>>

> This used to be easier in Netscape.  Netscape automatically stored
> bookmarks in HTML format.  So you could just use that file as your
> home page and it would update with new bookmarks automatically.

It's still pretty easy to create the HTML file on exit.

1. Open Firefox and type about:config in the addressbar and press Enter.
It'll ask for confirmation, click on I'll be careful, I promise! button.

2. Now type bookmarks in the Search Filter box and look for following
boolean key:

     browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML

3. The entry "browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML" would be set to false.
Double-click on it or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set
its value to true.

4. That's it. Close Firefox window. Now whenever you'll open and close
Firefox web browser, it'll automatically export your current bookmarks
into HTML file "bookmarks.html" in your Firefox Profile folder.

Dave Pyles
0
Dave