Cannot Open Account on Bank Website

Win32 7 Pro SP 1
Ffx 61.0
https://www.suntrust.com

The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a little win=
dow would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It hasn't wo=
rked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On button does =
nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox ago, and it works w=
ith every other browser I have used on the site. Some automatically pop ope=
n the sign on window, and some I have to click on the button. It even works=
 correctly with a version of Firefox I have loaded on an Amazon Fire HD 8 t=
ablet! But no matter what I do, I cannot sign on to my account with this ba=
nk on my desktop machine as described above. Fiddling with the settings for=
 the page does not accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am havin=
g trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browse=
r just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.
0
slyphnoyde
6/30/2018 7:50:20 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

On 6/30/18 3:50 PM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
> Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> Ffx 61.0
> https://www.suntrust.com
>
> The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a little window would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It hasn't worked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On button does nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox ago, and it works with every other browser I have used on the site. Some automatically pop open the sign on window, and some I have to click on the button. It even works correctly with a version of Firefox I have loaded on an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I cannot sign on to my account with this bank on my desktop machine as described above. Fiddling with the settings for the page does not accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am having trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Refresh Firefox.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings>

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/30/2018 8:26:16 PM
In message
<mailman.1244.1530390009.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,
slyphnoyde@gmail.com writes:
>Win32 7 Pro SP 1
>Ffx 61.0
>https://www.suntrust.com
>
>The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a little
>window would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It
>hasn't worked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On
>button does nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox
>ago, and it works with every other browser I have used on the site.
>Some automatically pop open the sign on window, and some I have to
>click on the button. It even works correctly with a version of Firefox
>I have loaded on an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I
>cannot sign on to my account with this bank on my desktop machine as
>described above. Fiddling with the settings for the page does not
>accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am having trouble with,
>and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browser just for
>this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.

When you type in the above URL (or click the Sign On button), does the
URL remain as typed, or does the URL shown change, showing it has
redirected to another site or page?

I've just had almost the same thing happen but a different way round:
the login page on YouTube. (You can use YouTube without logging in, but
need to do so to vote or leave comments.) I was able to log in using my
ancient Firefox 27, but in both up-to-date Chrome and in IE11, I got the
login page, and typed in my email (they use that as login name) - and
Nothing Happened. No error message, nothing. Which sounds not _that_
dissimilar to what you're getting. (I was able to use YouTube's normal
functions - i. e., viewing, and searching for, video clips - fine in
Chrome _without_ logging in; just the login page itself didn't seem to
do anything when I pressed enter or clicked NEXT after entering my email
address.)

What fixed it for me was temporarily blanking my hosts file, then
hitting reload on the login page. It seems that, dependent on which
browser you're using, their system fetches different scripts, and I had
something blocked of the ones it fetches when logging in from Chrome,
but not of the ones it fetches when logging in from Firefox 27.

If you use the hosts file to block things (either directly or via some
add-on or utility that edits it for you), it might be worth temporarily
blanking it (keep a copy!). This wouldn't be a permanent solution for
you (unless you only rarely use the bank site), even if it works of
course; it would be too tedious to do that every time. But it's a fairly
simple thing to try once - and if it _does_ work, then you'll know
that's the cause: and also, if that _is_ the cause, nothing else
(refreshing Firefox, etc.) will cure it (other than spoofing the
browser-ID string, but that might load something that doesn't work in
Firefox either). If it _does_ turn out to be the cause, you'd have to
find which particular line or lines in your hosts file is responsible,
and comment them out.

Some people don't seem to be happy without a reason to be unhappy -
Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk>, in uk.tech.broadcast 2017-8-10
On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 4:26:55 PM UTC-4, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 6/30/18 3:50 PM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
> > Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> > Ffx 61.0
> > https://www.suntrust.com
> >=20
> > The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a little=
 window would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It hasn'=
t worked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On button d=
oes nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox ago, and it wor=
ks with every other browser I have used on the site. Some automatically pop=
 open the sign on window, and some I have to click on the button. It even w=
orks correctly with a version of Firefox I have loaded on an Amazon Fire HD=
 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I cannot sign on to my account with thi=
s bank on my desktop machine as described above. Fiddling with the settings=
 for the page does not accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am h=
aving trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another br=
owser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.
> >=20
>=20
> Refresh Firefox.
>=20
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-s=
ettings>

As I am reading that site at the link above, that would wipe out all my set=
tings, which would be a complete and entire bother and nuisance to put back=
.. Also, this problem has persisted through all of the most recent versions =
of Ffx. It just started all at once one time and has been the same. I just =
updated to v61 a few days ago. But hanks for responding.

0
slyphnoyde
7/1/2018 12:19:55 PM
On Sunday, July 1, 2018 at 3:50:09 AM UTC-4, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message=20
> <mailman.1244.1530390009.2160.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>,=20
> slyphnoyde@gmail.com writes:
> >Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> >Ffx 61.0
> >https://www.suntrust.com
> >
> >The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a little=
=20
> >window would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It=20
> >hasn't worked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On=
=20
> >button does nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox=20
> >ago, and it works with every other browser I have used on the site.=20
> >Some automatically pop open the sign on window, and some I have to=20
> >click on the button. It even works correctly with a version of Firefox=
=20
> >I have loaded on an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I=
=20
> >cannot sign on to my account with this bank on my desktop machine as=20
> >described above. Fiddling with the settings for the page does not=20
> >accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am having trouble with,=
=20
> >and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browser just for=20
> >this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>=20
> [trim for brevity]

> What fixed it for me was temporarily blanking my hosts file, then=20
> hitting reload on the login page. It seems that, dependent on which=20
> browser you're using, their system fetches different scripts, and I had=
=20
> something blocked of the ones it fetches when logging in from Chrome,=20
> but not of the ones it fetches when logging in from Firefox 27.
>=20
> If you use the hosts file to block things (either directly or via some=20
> add-on or utility that edits it for you), it might be worth temporarily=
=20
> blanking it (keep a copy!). This wouldn't be a permanent solution for=20
> you (unless you only rarely use the bank site), even if it works of=20
> course; it would be too tedious to do that every time. But it's a fairly=
=20
> simple thing to try once - and if it _does_ work, then you'll know=20
> that's the cause: and also, if that _is_ the cause, nothing else=20
> (refreshing Firefox, etc.) will cure it (other than spoofing the=20
> browser-ID string, but that might load something that doesn't work in=20
> Firefox either). If it _does_ turn out to be the cause, you'd have to=20
> find which particular line or lines in your hosts file is responsible,=20
> and comment them out.

Thanks for responding. However, I am unable to follow your suggestions. I a=
m an older person and don't know what a hosts file is or how and where to f=
ind it. As an older person who is not very technically adept, for the most =
part software either works correctly or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, them=
 I am pretty much stumped as to how to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Fo=
r a lot of us, software is a black box.
0
slyphnoyde
7/1/2018 12:24:21 PM
slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
> Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> Ffx 61.0
> https://www.suntrust.com
>
> The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a little window would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It hasn't worked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On button does nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox ago, and it works with every other browser I have used on the site. Some automatically pop open the sign on window, and some I have to click on the button. It even works correctly with a version of Firefox I have loaded on an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I cannot sign on to my account with this bank on my desktop machine as described above. Fiddling with the settings for the page does not accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am having trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Site requires javascript be enabled.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
7/1/2018 1:21:05 PM
slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote on 2018-06-30 12:50:
> Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> Ffx 61.0
> https://www.suntrust.com
>
> The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a little window would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It hasn't worked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On button does nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox ago, and it works with every other browser I have used on the site. Some automatically pop open the sign on window, and some I have to click on the button. It even works correctly with a version of Firefox I have loaded on an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I cannot sign on to my account with this bank on my desktop machine as described above. Fiddling with the settings for the page does not accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am having trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I found 3 different ways to login depending on the width of my Firefox
window. My own bank's website has similar features.

If the window is very narrow, like a cellphone, there is a 3-line
hamburger menu button in the upper left corner. When I click on the
hamburger a menu slides out from the left side with "Sign On" on the
menu list. Clicking on "Sign On" makes a login window slides out from
the right side with UserID & Password boxes.

If I make the window wider, say 2x wider than a cellphone, then a "Sign
On" button appears in the upper right corner in addition to the
hamburger. The "Sign On" button make the login window slide out from the
right side.

If I make the window very wide, like a typical desktop, the hamburger
disappears, the upper right "Sign On" button remains. A login box is
right there in the main window, the "Sign On" button still makes a login
window slide out from right side.

None of these ways work for you?
0
Lance
7/1/2018 2:14:49 PM
On 2018-07-01 8:19 AM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 4:26:55 PM UTC-4, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 6/30/18 3:50 PM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Win32 7 Pro SP 1 Ffx 61.0 https://www.suntrust.com
>>>
>>> The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a
>>> little window would automatically pop open for signing on to my
>>> account. It hasn't worked in several versions of Firefox. Even
>>> clicking the Sign On button does nothing. It used to work a
>>> number of version of Firefox ago, and it works with every other
>>> browser I have used on the site. Some automatically pop open the
>>> sign on window, and some I have to click on the button. It even
>>> works correctly with a version of Firefox I have loaded on an
>>> Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I cannot sign
>>> on to my account with this bank on my desktop machine as
>>> described above. Fiddling with the settings for the page does not
>>> accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am having trouble
>>> with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another
>>> browser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>
>> Refresh Firefox.
>>
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings>
>
> As I am reading that site at the link above, that would wipe out all
> my settings, which would be a complete and entire bother and nuisance
> to put back.. Also, this problem has persisted through all of the
> most recent versions of Ffx. It just started all at once one time and
> has been the same. I just updated to v61 a few days ago. But hanks
> for responding.

Here's a video of me trying the website on Firefox 61/Windows 10:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsW38xy2lXs>

Is that blue sidebar that pops up when I click "Sign On" no appearing
for you?

If refreshing Firefox is too scary for you, the cause may be an add-on.
If you click on the menu button, then click on the "Help" and go to
"Restart_with_Add-ons_Disabled", does the problem still occur? If not,
the cause is probably an extension. See
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-extensions-themes-to-fix-problems>.

If the problem still occurs, we'll need some more info about your
Firefox setup. Click the menu button, then click the Help icon [?] at
the bottom of the menu, and select Troubleshooting Information, then
click [Copy text to Clipboard]. Open a reply to this post, and go to
Edit-->Paste to paste the info from your Troubleshooting Information page.

--
<http://ilias.ca/links>
Chris
On 7/1/2018 8:19 AM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 4:26:55 PM UTC-4, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 6/30/18 3:50 PM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Win32 7 Pro SP 1
>>> Ffx 61.0
>>> https://www.suntrust.com
>>>
>>> The website is one of my banks. Long ago when I browsed to it, a little window would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It hasn't worked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On button does nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox ago, and it works with every other browser I have used on the site. Some automatically pop open the sign on window, and some I have to click on the button. It even works correctly with a version of Firefox I have loaded on an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I cannot sign on to my account with this bank on my desktop machine as described above. Fiddling with the settings for the page does not accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am having trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>>

>> Refresh Firefox.
>>
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings>
>
> As I am reading that site at the link above, that would wipe out all my settings, which would be a complete and entire bother and nuisance to put back. Also, this problem has persisted through all of the most recent versions of Ffx. It just started all at once one time and has been the same. I just updated to v61 a few days ago. But hanks for responding.

Okay, follow Chris Ilias suggestions.

If the problem has persisted through all of the most recent versions,
maybe it is an extension you added, or a corrupt profile.

This is what I see using Firefox 61.0 on Windows 10.

<https://imgur.com/jDIrziV>
0
WaltS48
7/1/2018 4:10:41 PM
On Sunday, July 1, 2018 at 10:06:04 AM UTC-4, Ed Mullen wrote:
> slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
> > Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> > Ffx 61.0
> > https://www.suntrust.com
> >
> > The website is one of my banks. [trim] It is only this one page I am having trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.
> >

> Site requires javascript be enabled.

So far as I know, javascript is enabled.
0
slyphnoyde
7/1/2018 6:27:11 PM
On Sunday, July 1, 2018 at 10:15:31 AM UTC-4, Lance wrote:
> slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote on 2018-06-30 12:50:
> > Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> > Ffx 61.0
> > https://www.suntrust.com
> >
> > The website is one of my banks. [trim] It is only this one page I am having trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another browser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.
> >
> I found 3 different ways to login depending on the width of my Firefox
> window. My own bank's website has similar features.
>
> If the window is very narrow, like a cellphone, there is a 3-line
> hamburger menu button in the upper left corner. When I click on the
> hamburger a menu slides out from the left side with "Sign On" on the
> menu list. Clicking on "Sign On" makes a login window slides out from
> the right side with UserID & Password boxes.
>
> If I make the window wider, say 2x wider than a cellphone, then a "Sign
> On" button appears in the upper right corner in addition to the
> hamburger. The "Sign On" button make the login window slide out from the
> right side.
>
> If I make the window very wide, like a typical desktop, the hamburger
> disappears, the upper right "Sign On" button remains. A login box is
> right there in the main window, the "Sign On" button still makes a login
> window slide out from right side.
>
> None of these ways work for you?

Correct, NONE of them work for me. It is only Firefox on only this one website.
0
slyphnoyde
7/1/2018 6:29:18 PM
On Sunday, July 1, 2018 at 10:25:23 AM UTC-4, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2018-07-01 8:19 AM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
> >>=20
> >> Refresh Firefox.
> >>=20
> >> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-an=
d-settings>

> > As I am reading that site at the link above, that would wipe out all
> > my settings, which would be a complete and entire bother and nuisance
> > to put back.[trim]
>=20
> Here's a video of me trying the website on Firefox 61/Windows 10:=20
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DfsW38xy2lXs>
>=20
> Is that blue sidebar that pops up when I click "Sign On" no appearing=20
> for you?

That is what I used to see, except that the Sign On used to pop up automati=
cally. It does so with Chrome. With Opera, I click on the Sign On button to=
 get the pop up. I should add that nearly all the page is "dead" in that on=
ly the change language and open account options work. But again, it does wo=
rk correctly with Ffx on a little Amazon Fire tablet. So it must be somethi=
ng that has changed on my Win32 setup, although I have not the slightest id=
ea what.

> If refreshing Firefox is too scary for you, the cause may be an add-on.=
=20
> If you click on the menu button, then click on the "Help" and go to=20
> "Restart_with_Add-ons_Disabled", does the problem still occur? If not,=20
> the cause is probably an extension. See=20
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-extensions-themes-to-f=
ix-problems>.

Restarting with add-ons disabled makes no difference.

> If the problem still occurs, we'll need some more info about your=20
> Firefox setup. Click the menu button, then click the Help icon [?] at=20
> the bottom of the menu, and select Troubleshooting Information, then=20
> click [Copy text to Clipboard]. Open a reply to this post, and go to=20
> Edit-->Paste to paste the info from your Troubleshooting Information page=
..

I can do that if nothing else works. It seems to be a lot of data.
0
slyphnoyde
7/1/2018 6:37:27 PM
On Sunday, July 1, 2018 at 12:11:17 PM UTC-4, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 7/1/2018 8:19 AM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:

le window would automatically pop open for signing on to my account. It has=
n't worked in several versions of Firefox. Even clicking the Sign On button=
 does nothing. It used to work a number of version of Firefox ago, and it w=
orks with every other browser I have used on the site. Some automatically p=
op open the sign on window, and some I have to click on the button. It even=
 works correctly with a version of Firefox I have loaded on an Amazon Fire =
HD 8 tablet! But no matter what I do, I cannot sign on to my account with t=
his bank on my desktop machine as described above. Fiddling with the settin=
gs for the page does not accomplish anything. It is only this one page I am=
 having trouble with, and it is a complete nuisance to have to use another =
browser just for this one site. Any suggestions? Thanks.

> >> Refresh Firefox.
> >>
> >> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-an=
d-settings>
> >=20
> > As I am reading that site at the link above, that would wipe out all my=
 settings, which would be a complete and entire bother and nuisance to put =
back. Also, this problem has persisted through all of the most recent versi=
ons of Ffx. It just started all at once one time and has been the same. I j=
ust updated to v61 a few days ago. But hanks for responding.
> >=20
>=20
> Okay, follow Chris Ilias suggestions.

Tried that.

> If the problem has persisted through all of the most recent versions,=20
> maybe it is an extension you added, or a corrupt profile.
>=20
> This is what I see using Firefox 61.0 on Windows 10.
>=20
> <https://imgur.com/jDIrziV>

That's what is should look like.
0
slyphnoyde
7/1/2018 6:38:35 PM
On 2018-07-01 2:37 PM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:

> Restarting with add-ons disabled makes no difference.
>
>> If the problem still occurs, we'll need some more info about your
>> Firefox setup. Click the menu button, then click the Help icon [?] at
>> the bottom of the menu, and select Troubleshooting Information, then
>> click [Copy text to Clipboard]. Open a reply to this post, and go to
>> Edit-->Paste to paste the info from your Troubleshooting Information page..
>
> I can do that if nothing else works. It seems to be a lot of data.

Yes, please paste your Troubleshooting Information data, thanks.

--
<http://ilias.ca/links>
Chris
slyphnoyde@gmail.com writes:
[]
>Thanks for responding. However, I am unable to follow your suggestions.
>I am an older person and don't know what a hosts file is or how and
>where to find it. As an older person who is not very technically adept,
>for the most part software either works correctly or it doesn't, and if
>it doesn't, them I am pretty much stumped as to how to troubleshoot and
>fix the problem. For a lot of us, software is a black box.

If you don't know what a hosts file _is_, then it probably _isn't_ your
problem - even though the symptoms (the links, icons etc. are there,
just don't do anything) do sound exactly like the problem I had! But
unless you've been modifying your hosts file, either yourself or using
some utility that modifies it for you, then that probably _wasn't_ the
cause. (I suspect your problem is instead that some sort of scripting
_is_ turned off, but I'm not sure; I'll let others help sort that for
you!) If you don't alter your hosts file either manually or using
something, don't read on, unless you are curious.

For completeness, this is what a hosts file is about:
When you type, click on, or otherwise invoke a web host, such as
www.google.com - that is in letters for the benefit of, mainly, humans -
it needs to be converted into a string of numbers for the benefit of
computers. (For me, www.google.com is 216.58.213.100; it may be
different for you depending where in the world you are.) Normally, your
computer contacts something called a DNS (domain name service) server to
ask what the number is: basically, it "calls directory enquiries".
However, it _can_ look the number up in its _own_ local directory: this
is what the "hosts file" is. It is a plain text file; on my Windows 7 32
bit system, it's "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts." Note that
although it's a plain text file, it _doesn't_ have ".txt" on the end of
its name. (This is the case I think on all Windows versions; I don't
know about Mac, Linux and so on.) You _may_ need to turn on "show hidden
files and folders", or similarly-named settings, to find it.

In theory, the idea was, that sites you used a lot, would get entered
into the local hosts file, thus saving time: your system wouldn't have
to call out to the DNS server to get the number, then make another call
to the actual host once it knew what the number was. But this never
really happened for two reasons: one, speeds improved considerably so it
wasn't really worth the bother; two, IP addresses (that's what they're
called) _change_, and having the wrong one stored means you'd never be
able to contact a particular (say) website. But, the mechanism is still
there - you have a hosts file, even if there's nothing in it other than
comments and an example or two. Have a look at it if you like. (Just
don't alter or save it.)

But people found another use for the hosts file: blocking unwanted
sites. You may say "I never go to _that_ sort of site"; however, the
sites you _do_ go to may call up things from _other_ sites; initially,
this was mainly used to show advertisements within a page, and still
does a lot, though it's used for many other things these days, such as
tracking and so on. By putting a fake line in your hosts file, which
gives the wrong address for that site - usually one which points back at
your own computer (most people use 127.0.0.1, or 127.0.0.0; I just use
0, as it's quicker to type!), you can stop your computer fetching
anything from those sites. This means you can still see the basic page,
but aren't bombarded with lots of ad.s in it, or more sinisterly, you
are less likely to be tracked as you wander round the internet. (Of
course, some of the pages you access are only _there_ because of the
income they get from the adverts they link, so it's a moral decision up
to you. It doesn't have to be all or nothing though - you can just
block, say, the _commonest_ ad-hosting sites, or the tracking sites.)
Most people manually edit their hosts files (though sometimes getting
pre-made hosts files from elsewhere - I don't do that as they tend to
block lots of things I'd never need blocked anyway), but I wouldn't be
surprised if there are also utilities/extensions/addons that will do the
editing for you.

There _is_ a snag: some pages load _scripts_ from other sites. If you
have those other sites blocked, then the page itself will load, but some
things in it - links, buttons - won't do anything (since your system
hasn't loaded the scripts that make them work). And, in the case of some
sites, _where_ it gets the scripts from may vary depending on which
browser/device you are using. This is what I _thought_ had happened in
your case (why the page worked in some browsers, or Firefox on your
tablet, but not Firefox on your desktop). And doing things like using
private mode, or refreshing - or even completely reinstalling - the
browser wouldn't make any difference; if it called scripts from site(s)
that are blocked in your hosts file, it still wouldn't get them.
Normally, the same would apply to other browsers too - but some sites
know what browser and device type you're using, and may get their
scripts from different places depending, so _do_ work in other browsers.

I hope that's helpful , and not too complicated (-:

I don't like activity holidays. I like /inactivity/ holidays.
- Miriam Margolyes, RT 2017/4/15-21
On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 4:20:17 PM UTC-4, slyph...@gmail.com wrote:
> Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> Ffx 61.0
> https://www.suntrust.com

My thanks to all who have responded so far to my original post. As I mentio=
ned, I am an older person and not up on all this complicated computer stuff=
.. For someone like me, either things work right or they don't. One person r=
ecommended trying to refresh Firefox, and another (or was it the same perso=
n?) said I should post some information.  I was afraid that a refresh might=
 wipe out everything I already have. However, all I am really concerned abo=
ut are all the bookmarks I have (a ton of them) and the settings for FVD Sp=
eedDial, an extension I use heavily. Losing other things, such as history, =
would not be a big deal.

After looking at the link provided to Mozilla help, I see that a refresh do=
es not destroy bookmarks, and I found out how to export and import them, an=
yway. Also, the speed dial extension (or is it an add-on? I don't know the =
difference) can save some of its settings, also. So later today, God willin=
' and the creek don't rise, I will save stuff and do a refresh. If that doe=
sn't work, then I will post the troubleshooting data.

Thanks again to all.
0
slyphnoyde
7/2/2018 11:37:21 AM
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 9:40:29 AM UTC-4, slyph...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 4:20:17 PM UTC-4, slyph...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Win32 7 Pro SP 1
> > Ffx 61.0
> > https://www.suntrust.com
>=20
> My thanks to all who have responded so far to my original post. As I ment=
ioned, I am an older person and not up on all this complicated computer stu=
ff. For someone like me, either things work right or they don't. [trim]  So=
 later today, God willin' and the creek don't rise, I will save stuff and d=
o a refresh. If that doesn't work, then I will post the troubleshooting dat=
a.

Well, folks, after some trepidation I did decide to save what I could and d=
o a refresh of Ffx. That seems to have taken care of the problem, as I can =
now login to the website which I was not able to before. So maybe (I don't =
know about these things) something got corrupted somehow that a refresh fix=
ed. I had to reinstall the speed dial extension I use heavily but was able =
to restore some of it from a backup, which I previously did not know I coul=
d do. So it looks like mostly coming back to fiddling with the settings her=
e and there to get things back like I want them.  Thanks very much to all f=
or the assistance.
0
slyphnoyde
7/2/2018 6:37:41 PM
On 7/2/2018 2:37 PM, slyphnoyde@gmail.com wrote:
> So it looks like mostly coming back to fiddling with the settings here and there to get things back like I want them.  Thanks very much to all for the assistance.

Your welcome, but keep in mind those fiddled settings could have created
the problem.
0
WaltS48