--------

0
Mobius
5/22/2010 1:54:50 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

Date: 5/21/2010 11:14 PM, Author: Pete Holsberg  Wrote:
> Mobius has written on 5/21/2010 9:54 PM:
>> We cannot get to www.google.com with FF 3.6.3 on this
>> Windows XP Pro SP3 computer.
>> It always ends up at www.google.com/firefox
>>

> It seems to me that, Google-wise, they are the same!

True, and the Firefox logo loads a bit faster because Google is currently using a
playable Pac-Man game as its logo.  Also using the Firefox page may help pay the
bills at Mozilla.

That said, typing www.google.com on my system takes me to the Google version.  I
think we need more information to determine why Mobius' Firefox works differently.
Maybe a toolbar, extension, or customized version?

--
G. R. Woodring
"G. R. Woodring" <tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote in message
> Date: 5/21/2010 11:14 PM, Author: Pete Holsberg  Wrote:
>> Mobius has written on 5/21/2010 9:54 PM:
>>> We cannot get to www.google.com with FF 3.6.3 on this
>>> Windows XP Pro SP3 computer.
>>> It always ends up at www.google.com/firefox
>>>

>> It seems to me that, Google-wise, they are the same!
>>

> True, and the Firefox logo loads a bit faster because Google is currently
> using a playable Pac-Man game as its logo.  Also using the Firefox page
> may help pay the bills at Mozilla.
>
> That said, typing www.google.com on my system takes me to the Google
> version.  I think we need more information to determine why Mobius'
> Firefox works differently. Maybe a toolbar, extension, or customized
> version?
>

> --
> G. R. Woodring

FF was downloaded from Mozilla website.
There are no toolbars installed.
Only happens with this particular version.
Cannot say when it cropped up.
My extensions:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401
Firefox/3.6.3

1. AdblockPlus{1.2}.xpi   -- Ads were yesterday!
2. CookieCuller{1.4}.xpi   -- Extended Cookie Manager - Automatically delete
unwanted cookies
3. DownloadHelper{4.7.3}.xpi   -- Download videos and images from many sites
4. FEBE{6.3.3}.xpi   -- Backup your Firefox data 5.
irefoxView{1.0}.xpi   -- View pages and links loaded into IE in Firefox
6. IEView{1.4.5.1}.xpi   -- Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
7. MenuEditor{1.2.6}.xpi   -- Customize application menus
8. PasswordExporter{1.2}.xpi   -- Export and import your saved passwords.
9. PrintPrintPreview{0.7}.xpi   -- Replace the default "Print" button with
the Mozilla Suite style "Print/Print Preview" toolbar button/menu, with
additional "Page setup" option. Adds new options to context menu as well.
10. RestartButton{0.1.3}.xpi   -- Add restart button to Firefox
11. TabMixPlus{0.3.8.2}.xpi   -- Tab browsing with an added boost.
12. UnMHT{5.6.0}.xpi   -- UnMHT allows you to view MHT (MHTML) web archive
format files, and save complete web pages, including text and graphics, into
a single MHT file.

0
Mobius
5/22/2010 5:38:46 PM
On 5/22/2010 8:38 PM, Mobius wrote:
> "G. R. Woodring"<tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg>  wrote in message
>> Date: 5/21/2010 11:14 PM, Author: Pete Holsberg  Wrote:
>>> Mobius has written on 5/21/2010 9:54 PM:
>>>>

>>> It seems to me that, Google-wise, they are the same!
>>>

>> True, and the Firefox logo loads a bit faster because Google is currently
>> using a playable Pac-Man game as its logo.  Also using the Firefox page
>> may help pay the bills at Mozilla.
>>
>> That said, typing www.google.com on my system takes me to the Google
>> version.  I think we need more information to determine why Mobius'
>> Firefox works differently. Maybe a toolbar, extension, or customized
>> version?
>>

>> --
>> G. R. Woodring
>
> FF was downloaded from Mozilla website.
> There are no toolbars installed.
> Only happens with this particular version.
> Cannot say when it cropped up.
> My extensions:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401
> Firefox/3.6.3
>
> 1. AdblockPlus{1.2}.xpi   -- Ads were yesterday!
> 2. CookieCuller{1.4}.xpi   -- Extended Cookie Manager - Automatically delete
> unwanted cookies
> 3. DownloadHelper{4.7.3}.xpi   -- Download videos and images from many sites
> 4. FEBE{6.3.3}.xpi   -- Backup your Firefox data 5.
> irefoxView{1.0}.xpi   -- View pages and links loaded into IE in Firefox
> 6. IEView{1.4.5.1}.xpi   -- Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
> 7. MenuEditor{1.2.6}.xpi   -- Customize application menus
> 8. PasswordExporter{1.2}.xpi   -- Export and import your saved passwords.
> 9. PrintPrintPreview{0.7}.xpi   -- Replace the default "Print" button with
> the Mozilla Suite style "Print/Print Preview" toolbar button/menu, with
> additional "Page setup" option. Adds new options to context menu as well.
> 10. RestartButton{0.1.3}.xpi   -- Add restart button to Firefox
> 11. TabMixPlus{0.3.8.2}.xpi   -- Tab browsing with an added boost.
> 12. UnMHT{5.6.0}.xpi   -- UnMHT allows you to view MHT (MHTML) web archive
> format files, and save complete web pages, including text and graphics, into
> a single MHT file.

  I would delete the cache and the cookies to start with.

--
John Doue
0
On 5/22/2010 9:39 PM, John Doue wrote:
> On 5/22/2010 8:38 PM, Mobius wrote:
>> "G. R. Woodring"<tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote in message

>>> True, and the Firefox logo loads a bit faster because Google is
>>> currently
>>> using a playable Pac-Man game as its logo. Also using the Firefox page
>>> may help pay the bills at Mozilla.
>>>
>>> That said, typing www.google.com on my system takes me to the Google
>>> version. I think we need more information to determine why Mobius'
>>> Firefox works differently. Maybe a toolbar, extension, or customized
>>> version?
>>>

>>> --
>>> G. R. Woodring
>>
>> FF was downloaded from Mozilla website.
>> There are no toolbars installed.
>> Only happens with this particular version.
>> Cannot say when it cropped up.
>> My extensions:
>>
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3)
>> Gecko/20100401
>> Firefox/3.6.3
>>
>> 1. AdblockPlus{1.2}.xpi -- Ads were yesterday!
>> 2. CookieCuller{1.4}.xpi -- Extended Cookie Manager - Automatically
>> delete
>> unwanted cookies
>> 3. DownloadHelper{4.7.3}.xpi -- Download videos and images from many
>> sites
>> 4. FEBE{6.3.3}.xpi -- Backup your Firefox data 5.
>> irefoxView{1.0}.xpi -- View pages and links loaded into IE in Firefox
>> 6. IEView{1.4.5.1}.xpi -- Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
>> 7. MenuEditor{1.2.6}.xpi -- Customize application menus
>> 8. PasswordExporter{1.2}.xpi -- Export and import your saved passwords.
>> 9. PrintPrintPreview{0.7}.xpi -- Replace the default "Print" button with
>> the Mozilla Suite style "Print/Print Preview" toolbar button/menu, with
>> additional "Page setup" option. Adds new options to context menu as well.
>> 10. RestartButton{0.1.3}.xpi -- Add restart button to Firefox
>> 11. TabMixPlus{0.3.8.2}.xpi -- Tab browsing with an added boost.
>> 12. UnMHT{5.6.0}.xpi -- UnMHT allows you to view MHT (MHTML) web archive
>> format files, and save complete web pages, including text and
>> graphics, into
>> a single MHT file.
>>

> I would delete the cache and the cookies to start with.

Of course, please read empty the cache and delete the cookies. Sorry for
the typo.

--
John Doue
0

> FF was downloaded from Mozilla website.
> There are no toolbars installed.
> Only happens with this particular version.
> Cannot say when it cropped up.
> My extensions:

Extensions don't come into play here.
Go to about:config and filter on google.

Good chance you'll see an entry referencing the /firefox address and
quite a bit more.

0
goodwin
5/22/2010 8:44:21 PM
On 22.05.2010 08:20, Mobius wrote:

>> Tools => Options => General => Start .. Change it to "Show a blank page".
>>

>> --
>> *Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion*
>> www.ufaq.org
>> Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Flock - Thunderbird
>
> I have no problems with my Start Page.
> It is set to my Yahoo Mail account.
> But if I type in www.google.com it goes to www.google.com/firefox instead.
> No biggie but darned irritating.
> :-)

My FF 3.6.3 does not do that, dunno why yours does.

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion*
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Flock - Thunderbird
0
Jay
5/22/2010 11:04:45 PM
"Mobius" <Mobius@do.not.respond> wrote in message
> We cannot get to www.google.com with FF 3.6.3 on this
> Windows XP Pro SP3 computer.
> It always ends up at www.google.com/firefox
> Is there a way to fix this?
> Regards and TIA.
> Mobius
> --------

1. Uninstalled FF and manually deleted remnant files and folders.
2. Removed all Firefox references in registry, and rebooted.
3. Installed FF and added all saved extensions.
Imported saved passwords, cookies and bookmarks.
Everything works fine now.
Just wanted to get to Google to play the Pac-Man game.
Then we noticed the oddity! Hence the original post.
Regards and thanks everyone who put forward their input.
:-)
Mobius
--------

0
Mobius
5/23/2010 4:27:53 PM
�Sat, 22 May 2010 13:44:21 -0700, goodwin <connyank@cox.net>,  wrote:
>On 05/22/2010 10:38 AM Mobius scribbled:
>> FF was downloaded from Mozilla website.
>> There are no toolbars installed.
>> Only happens with this particular version.
>> Cannot say when it cropped up.
>> My extensions:
>>
>Extensions don't come into play here.
>Go to about:config and filter on google.
>
>Good chance you'll see an entry referencing the /firefox address and
>quite a bit more.

Why does it shows there

Preference Name		Value
browser.startup.homepage;	http://www.google.com/

when there is nothing about my Home page, http://www.google.ca
(which gets displayed when I enter www.google.com in the address bar).
--
Arno
0

> ©Sat, 22 May 2010 13:44:21 -0700, goodwin <connyank@cox.net>,  wrote:
>> On 05/22/2010 10:38 AM Mobius scribbled:
>>> FF was downloaded from Mozilla website.
>>> There are no toolbars installed.
>>> Only happens with this particular version.
>>> Cannot say when it cropped up.
>>> My extensions:
>>>
>> Extensions don't come into play here.
>> Go to about:config and filter on google.
>>
>> Good chance you'll see an entry referencing the /firefox address and
>> quite a bit more.
>

> Why does it shows there
>
> Preference Name		Value
> browser.startup.homepage;	http://www.google.com/
>
> when there is nothing about my Home page, http://www.google.ca
> (which gets displayed when I enter www.google.com in the address bar).

Must be a cookie set by google to localize your google?
Google insinuates itself into a lot of different settings and not just
in prefs.js.
If you have ever set up an igoogle a/c, you're hooked in for a while -
its hard to change some things.
0
goodwin
5/23/2010 9:56:53 PM
On 05/23/2010 09:27 AM Mobius scribbled:

> "Mobius" <Mobius@do.not.respond> wrote in message
>> We cannot get to www.google.com with FF 3.6.3 on this
>> Windows XP Pro SP3 computer.
>> It always ends up at www.google.com/firefox
>> Is there a way to fix this?
>> Regards and TIA.
>> Mobius
>> --------
>
> 1. Uninstalled FF and manually deleted remnant files and folders.
> 2. Removed all Firefox references in registry, and rebooted.
> 3. Installed FF and added all saved extensions.
> Imported saved passwords, cookies and bookmarks.
> Everything works fine now.
> Just wanted to get to Google to play the Pac-Man game.
> Then we noticed the oddity! Hence the original post.
> Regards and thanks everyone who put forward their input.
> :-)
> Mobius
> --------

What the heck, if it worked, ok.

Seems kinda drastic.
0
goodwin
5/23/2010 9:58:02 PM
On 2010/05/23 14:56, goodwin wrote:
> On 05/23/2010 02:22 PM Arno Martens scribbled:
>
>> �Sat, 22 May 2010 13:44:21 -0700, goodwin<connyank@cox.net>,  wrote:
>>> On 05/22/2010 10:38 AM Mobius scribbled:
>>>>
>>> Extensions don't come into play here.
>>> Go to about:config and filter on google.
>>>
>>> Good chance you'll see an entry referencing the /firefox address and
>>> quite a bit more.
>>

>> Why does it shows there
>>
>> Preference Name		Value
>> browser.startup.homepage;	http://www.google.com/
>>
>> when there is nothing about my Home page, http://www.google.ca
>> (which gets displayed when I enter www.google.com in the address bar).
>
> Must be a cookie set by google to localize your google?
> Google insinuates itself into a lot of different settings and not just
> in prefs.js.
> If you have ever set up an igoogle a/c, you're hooked in for a while -
> its hard to change some things.

No, you get a page for your country with Google, using the predominant
language of that country even if you do not allow Google to set cookies.
  Google looks up the IP number to find the country where the request
comes from, and then gives you a page for that country.
0
EE
5/24/2010 6:30:42 PM
On 05/24/2010 11:30 AM EE scribbled:

> On 2010/05/23 14:56, goodwin wrote:

>>> Why does it shows there
>>>
>>> Preference Name		Value
>>> browser.startup.homepage;	http://www.google.com/
>>>
>>> when there is nothing about my Home page, http://www.google.ca
>>> (which gets displayed when I enter www.google.com in the address bar).
>> Must be a cookie set by google to localize your google?
>> Google insinuates itself into a lot of different settings and not just
>> in prefs.js.
>> If you have ever set up an igoogle a/c, you're hooked in for a while -
>> its hard to change some things.
>
> No, you get a page for your country with Google, using the predominant
> language of that country even if you do not allow Google to set cookies.
>   Google looks up the IP number to find the country where the request
> comes from, and then gives you a page for that country.

Don't think so - I enter google.ca and google Canada comes up while I'm
here in Calif.
Go figure
0
goodwin
5/24/2010 10:02:55 PM
On 24.05.2010 17:02, goodwin wrote:

>>> On 05/23/2010 02:22 PM Arno Martens scribbled:

>>> Must be a cookie set by google to localize your google?
>>> Google insinuates itself into a lot of different settings and not jus=
>>> in prefs.js.
>>> If you have ever set up an igoogle a/c, you're hooked in for a while =
-
>>> its hard to change some things.
>>=20
>> No, you get a page for your country with Google, using the predominant=
=20
>> language of that country even if you do not allow Google to set cookie=
s.=20
>>   Google looks up the IP number to find the country where the request =

>> comes from, and then gives you a page for that country.
>=20
> Don't think so - I enter google.ca and google Canada comes up while I'm=

> here in Calif.
> Go figure

Here in New Orleans, google.ca also brings up Canada. Entering
google.com brings up Google US.

--=20
*Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion*
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Flock - Thunderbird

0
Jay
5/24/2010 11:00:12 PM
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 24.05.2010 17:02, goodwin wrote:

In the Netherlands(Holland) I always use
> http://www.google.com/webhp
and that gives me a US google, but google is always trying
to entice me to switch to "Go to Google Nederland",
so they still know were you are living.
0
Sjouke
5/24/2010 11:11:31 PM
�Mon, 24 May 2010 11:30:42 -0700, EE <nunya@bees.wax>,  wrote:

>On 2010/05/23 14:56, goodwin wrote:

>>> Why does it shows there
>>>
>>> Preference Name		Value
>>> browser.startup.homepage;	http://www.google.com/
>>>
>>> when there is nothing about my Home page, http://www.google.ca
>>> (which gets displayed when I enter www.google.com in the address bar).
>>
>> Must be a cookie set by google to localize your google?
>> Google insinuates itself into a lot of different settings and not just
>> in prefs.js.
>> If you have ever set up an igoogle a/c, you're hooked in for a while -
>> its hard to change some things.
>
>No, you get a page for your country with Google, using the predominant
>language of that country even if you do not allow Google to set cookies.
>  Google looks up the IP number to find the country where the request
>comes from, and then gives you a page for that country.

I tend to disagree as I have no problems setting up for the UK,
Australia, Germany or France.
0
Arno
5/25/2010 2:15:37 AM
�Tue, 25 May 2010 01:11:31 +0200, Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll>,  wrote:
>Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 24.05.2010 17:02, goodwin wrote:

There is no question that they or any web knows from your IP where you
are posting from (anonymiser excluded, I presume) but that is no
explanation why
1.) I can no longer enter google.com and
2.) Why in about:config my home page is listed as google.com !
0
Arno
5/25/2010 2:21:40 AM
On 2010/05/24 15:02, goodwin wrote:
> On 05/24/2010 11:30 AM EE scribbled:
>
>> On 2010/05/23 14:56, goodwin wrote:
>>> On 05/23/2010 02:22 PM Arno Martens scribbled:

>>> Must be a cookie set by google to localize your google?
>>> Google insinuates itself into a lot of different settings and not just
>>> in prefs.js.
>>> If you have ever set up an igoogle a/c, you're hooked in for a while -
>>> its hard to change some things.
>>
>> No, you get a page for your country with Google, using the predominant
>> language of that country even if you do not allow Google to set cookies.
>>    Google looks up the IP number to find the country where the request
>> comes from, and then gives you a page for that country.
>
> Don't think so - I enter google.ca and google Canada comes up while I'm
> here in Calif.
> Go figure

Of course you do.  The country code for Canada is ca.  Google.ca is the
Canadian Google page.  If you were in Canada and you typed
www.google.com, you would get www.google.ca.  If you were in Switzerland
and you typed www.google.com, you would get www.google.ch.

0
EE
5/25/2010 6:18:01 PM
On 2010/05/24 16:11, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 24.05.2010 17:02, goodwin wrote:

They do not know where you are living.  They do know where the request
originates, from the IP number.  When I was using anonymous proxy
servers, I used one from Sweden, and ended up getting the Swedish Google
page, even though I was in Canada.

0
EE
5/25/2010 6:25:59 PM
On 05/25/2010 11:18 AM EE scribbled:

> On 2010/05/24 15:02, goodwin wrote:
>> On 05/24/2010 11:30 AM EE scribbled:

>>> No, you get a page for your country with Google, using the predominant
>>> language of that country even if you do not allow Google to set cookies.
>>>    Google looks up the IP number to find the country where the request
>>> comes from, and then gives you a page for that country.

>> Don't think so - I enter google.ca and google Canada comes up while I'm
>> here in Calif.
>> Go figure
>
> Of course you do.  The country code for Canada is ca.  Google.ca is the
> Canadian Google page.  If you were in Canada and you typed
> www.google.com, you would get www.google.ca.  If you were in Switzerland
> and you typed www.google.com, you would get www.google.ch.

Better rethink that - Calif. is California, not Canada...
0
goodwin
5/26/2010 2:18:06 AM

"goodwin" <connyank@cox.net> wrote in message news:uYidnWjKvrZDGWHWnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@mozilla.org...
> On 05/25/2010 11:18 AM EE scribbled:
>
>> On 2010/05/24 15:02, goodwin wrote:
>>> On 05/24/2010 11:30 AM EE scribbled:

>>> Don't think so - I enter google.ca and google Canada comes up while I'm
>>> here in Calif.
>>> Go figure
>>
>> Of course you do.  The country code for Canada is ca.  Google.ca is the
>> Canadian Google page.  If you were in Canada and you typed
>> www.google.com, you would get www.google.ca.  If you were in Switzerland
>> and you typed www.google.com, you would get www.google.ch.
>>

> Better rethink that - Calif. is California, not Canada...

ca.us  is  California
ca       is  Canada,  two letter country code
0
David
5/26/2010 3:04:43 AM
On 05/25/2010 08:04 PM David McRitchie scribbled:

> "goodwin" <connyank@cox.net> wrote in message news:uYidnWjKvrZDGWHWnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@mozilla.org...

>>> Of course you do.  The country code for Canada is ca.  Google.ca is the
>>> Canadian Google page.  If you were in Canada and you typed
>>> www.google.com, you would get www.google.ca.  If you were in Switzerland
>>> and you typed www.google.com, you would get www.google.ch.
>>>
>> Better rethink that - Calif. is California, not Canada...
>
> ca.us  is  California
> ca       is  Canada,  two letter country code

Thanks, David, your point?
0
goodwin
5/26/2010 3:28:15 AM

"goodwin" <connyank@cox.net> wrote in message news:vqudnWVOiMnSCGHWnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d@mozilla.org...
> On 05/25/2010 08:04 PM David McRitchie scribbled:
>

>> "goodwin" <connyank@cox.net> wrote in message news:uYidnWjKvrZDGWHWnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@mozilla.org...
>>> On 05/25/2010 11:18 AM EE scribbled:

>>> Better rethink that - Calif. is California, not Canada...
>>
>> ca.us  is  California
>> ca       is  Canada,  two letter country code
>
> Thanks, David, your point?

Sorry wasn't looking carefully thought someone confused the two
I see it was simply while in Calif could use Canadian Google.
0
David
5/26/2010 3:46:10 AM
goodwin wrote:
> On 05/25/2010 11:18 AM EE scribbled:
>
>> On 2010/05/24 15:02, goodwin wrote:
>>> On 05/24/2010 11:30 AM EE scribbled:

>>> Don't think so - I enter google.ca and google Canada comes up while I'm
>>> here in Calif.
>>> Go figure
>> Of course you do.  The country code for Canada is ca.  Google.ca is the
>> Canadian Google page.  If you were in Canada and you typed
>> www.google.com, you would get www.google.ca.  If you were in Switzerland
>> and you typed www.google.com, you would get www.google.ch.
>>

> Better rethink that - Calif. is California, not Canada...

It is perfectly possible to have an access a Canadian ISP from
California, and if you do, then you will get www.google.ca.
0
Ron
5/26/2010 7:21:26 AM
Ron Hunter wrote:
> goodwin wrote:

>>> Of course you do.  The country code for Canada is ca.  Google.ca is
>>> the Canadian Google page.  If you were in Canada and you typed
>>> www.google.com, you would get www.google.ca.  If you were in
>>> Switzerland and you typed www.google.com, you would get www.google.ch.
>>>

>> Better rethink that - Calif. is California, not Canada...
>
> It is perfectly possible to have an access a Canadian ISP from
> California, and if you do, then you will get www.google.ca.

Typing www.google.<two letter country code> gets you to that country
google page no matter where you are. Typing www.google.com redirects you
to some page where google thinks you are.

Timo Pietil�
0
ISO

m, you would getwww.google.ca. =A0If you were in Switzerland
> and you typedwww.google.com, you would getwww.google.ch.

Correct EE.  There is an option on on the Google page which will say
"Go to google.com" if you are not on google.com but rather on your own
country's google.  If you are on google.com then you'll see the link
to go to google.{your country's version}.  For example if you live in
Canada you can type in www.google.co.uk and get the UK version of
Google.  When you move  your mouse you'll see the links appear (I like
how Google does that - keeps the page nice and clean if all you do is
navigate to it and type your search term) which will give you the
option to go to google.com.  You click on it and you'll be at
google.com (the URL shown in the address bar is www.google.com/ncr
which I'm guessing means No Cookie Redirect).  Now the link will be
the option to go to google Canada, not back to .co.uk because it will
detect that you are coming from a Canadian IP.

JB
0
Fox
5/26/2010 10:02:36 AM
"Timo Pietil�" -- helsinki.fi  wrote ...
> Typing www.google.<two letter country code> gets you to that country google page no matter where you are. Typing www.google.com
> redirects you to some page where google thinks you are.    //  Timo Pietil�

Sounds good unless you want the US from another country.

If I try for    www.google.us     it converts to   www.google.com/webhp
would that be for US results,    If you are outside the US and
use   www.google.us   does it convert or stay www.google.us

What would be a good indication of success in a Google search
that you are getting the results of a search as if in another country.

0
David
5/26/2010 10:16:15 AM
�Wed, 26 May 2010 03:02:36 -0700 (PDT), Fox on the run <jjrboucher@gmail.com>,  wrote:
>On May 25, 4:18�pm, EE <nu...@bees.wax> wrote:
>> On 2010/05/24 15:02, goodwin wrote:
>> > Don't think so - I enter google.ca and google Canada comes up while I'm
>> > here in Calif.
>> > Go figure
>> Of course you do. �The country code for Canada is ca. �Google.ca is the
>> Canadian Google page. �If you were in Canada and you typedwww.google.com, you would getwww.google.ca. �If you were in Switzerland
>> and you typedwww.google.com, you would getwww.google.ch.
>
>Correct EE.  There is an option on on the Google page which will say
>"Go to google.com" if you are not on google.com but rather on your own
>country's google.  If you are on google.com then you'll see the link
>to go to google.{your country's version}.  For example if you live in
>Canada you can type in www.google.co.uk and get the UK version of
>Google.  When you move  your mouse you'll see the links appear (I like
>how Google does that - keeps the page nice and clean if all you do is
>navigate to it and type your search term) which will give you the
>option to go to google.com.  You click on it and you'll be at
>google.com (the URL shown in the address bar is www.google.com/ncr
>which I'm guessing means No Cookie Redirect).  Now the link will be
>the option to go to google Canada, not back to .co.uk because it will
>detect that you are coming from a Canadian IP.
>JB

All those are very good explanations but it still leave my original
question, why does it say www.google.com in my about:config.
--
Cheers,
Arno

>Typing www.google.<two letter country code> gets you to that country
>google page no matter where you are. Typing www.google.com redirects
>you to some page where google thinks you are.

Does not work with .aq (quite large), .fk .gi (British, but not
Britain), .gb, .kp, .bv .mc .va (that'll annoy the Pope). Does work with
..as .

--
 (c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v6.05   MIME.
 Web  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

> In mozilla.support.firefox message <m5qdnYzmt8HMTmHWnZ2dnUVZ_u-
> dnZ2d@mozilla.org>, Wed, 26 May 2010 10:52:29, Timo Pietilä
> <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> posted:
>
>> Typing www.google.<two letter country code> gets you to that country
>> google page no matter where you are. Typing www.google.com redirects
>> you to some page where google thinks you are.
>

> Does not work with .aq (quite large), .fk .gi (British, but not
> Britain), .gb, .kp, .bv .mc .va (that'll annoy the Pope). Does work with
> .as .

I believe some of the info given here is based upon google mechanics
which change from place to place and maybe even OS to OS, that I dunno.
 I also know that some of the references made that you are referring to
are not totally correct.  Its not worth it to me to pursue the point,
its probably just semantics.  I /do/ know that google gets into
everything on your box that it can (and is allowed).  Most folks don't
even pay attention to it all.  For some reason I forget, I decided to
try and "live without google".  Not out of malice or anger, mostly just
an academic exercise after I spent way too much time trying to get some
settings to work in their igooogle environment.  I found google all over
the place so its no surprise to me that different folks get different
results - it could simply boil down to a setting long forgotten by the
user but google doesn't forget and some can be hard to change when you
don't know where they are.  And they change their environments more
often than some people change their socks.
I don't think this is a bad thing, per se, just annoying.
0
goodwin
5/28/2010 1:35:29 AM
On 2010/05/27 11:31, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In mozilla.support.firefox message<m5qdnYzmt8HMTmHWnZ2dnUVZ_u-
> dnZ2d@mozilla.org>, Wed, 26 May 2010 10:52:29, Timo Pietil�
> <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi>  posted:
>

>> Typing www.google.<two letter country code>  gets you to that country
>> google page no matter where you are. Typing www.google.com redirects
>> you to some page where google thinks you are.
>

> Does not work with .aq (quite large), .fk .gi (British, but not
> Britain), .gb, .kp, .bv .mc .va (that'll annoy the Pope). Does work with
> .as .

Sometimes you need to put some other prefix before the country code.  If
you want the British Google page, you use www.google.co.uk.  If you want
the Australian page, you use www.google.com.au.
0
EE

http://www.google.com/firefox
I would like to change this so that it opens in the regular Google, the one I stay logged into. I want a button on the toolbar that opens Google, but I prefer to set my homepage to something else. I've searched files and the registry for a string I can change, but haven't found anything. In IE 6 I was able to drag all my toolbars into 1 leaving a couple of drop down menus. I'm having trouble duplicating that in Firefox. Also in IE I relied a lot on using Control+N to open a duplicate of the same page I was viewing, and I would like a way to do the same thing in Firefox. ...

Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink to the standard Goog
Name: Charles Douglass Garnett III Email: cgarnettatstudentdotumassdotedu Product: Firefox Summary: Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink to the standard Google website. Comments: Your "http://www.google.com/firefox" web page should include a hyperlink to "Language Tools" underneath the "Advanced Search" hyperlink and the "Google" logo should be a hyperlink t...

http://www.google.com/firefox -- default search
Name: Noble Steed Product: Firefox Summary: http://www.google.com/firefox -- default search Comments: I love Firefox. Its the only browser I use. The one annoying thing about using the default google search area in the upper right hand corner of Firefox is that it doesn't have the gmail link on its page (http://www.google.com/firefox). It has all other default hyperlinks that the normal google page has except for this one. Please put it in there. Sure I could add gmail to my toolbar bookmarks but its full and I like the space for other sites that I frequent. Th...

abuot this address :http://www.google.com/firefox
Name: mohsen Email: mohsenadcatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: abuot this address :http://www.google.com/firefox Comments: hello ,please go to http://www.google.com/firefox and press right click or open that menu,then click on ' switch page direction '. oh,you can see that page Commix. /thanks a lot and good by./ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070611 Firefox/3.0.12 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish t...

Additional Link For Gmail On www.google.com/firefox
Name: craig barone Email: craig_baroneatlycosdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Additional Link For Gmail On www.google.com/firefox Comments: A 5th link next to Maps for Gmail on the Mozilla Firefox Start Page would be a helpful addition at least for me. Regards Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 ...

Firefox from google.com to google.nl
I have always used Google.com to search, it came installed as default search engine when installing Firefox. I added some search engines a few months ago, all was well. And NOW I suddenly notice that I am searching using google.nl. Not that I think .nl is bad, but it's not something I changed myself and I want things to stay put where I want them to be. I never searched in Dutch specifically. Never went to the dutch google site by choice. I am appalled! In the History, I can see that before yesterday, all the search pages were served by from google.com, and for late last night, I ...

A Forget between Google Firefox?Client & Google (default : google.com (.fr for me))
Name: Artet Jah Fakoly Email: mek_vincentathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: A Forget between Google Firefox?Client & Google (default : google.com (.fr for me)) Comments: y0 Paillete or Paille! Like i say in the summary I dont understand why with http://www.google.fr/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official the option "outils linguistiques" in french sorry, dont appear, you see !!! I explain we have options shit "recherche avancée" in french sorry, and "préférences" in french always sorry but no &q...

missin links on "http://www.google.com/firefox"
Name: cool_ice Email: kkdevtaatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: missin links on "http://www.google.com/firefox" Comments: The default home page "http://www.google.com/firefox" has links to all the Google services except for "GMAIL", this link is missing since long ago, any particular reasons for the missing link couldn't be found on Internet. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of ...

"Language Tools" link @ http://www.google.com/firefox page
Name: Daniel Gasparotto Email: danieldotgasparottoatgmaildotcom Product: Other (please state) Summary: "Language Tools" link @ http://www.google.com/firefox page Comments: Could you please add the "Language Tools" link next to the search bar of http://www.google.com/firefox ? in www.google.com/ we see Advanced Search | Preferences | **Language Tools** but in www.google.com/firefox there's only Advanced Search | Preferences why???? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 F...

google.com redirected to google.co.in in Firefox
Okay, since I don't know why this is happening I thought I better ask around. Whenever I type in www.google.com or use the google search from firefox it goes to google.co.in(the india version). Now why is this happening? I'm using English Window XP and region is Australia. Language in Firefox is EN-US <Just checked what's happening in IE> Hmm, in IE www.google.com is showed in Swedish(which is okay since I am swedish), but this would suggest is not a browser issue and something else? How does Firefox(and IE) decide which google page to show? Martin In...

windows vista w/firefox can't get www.philosophersnet.com, explorer can
Name: douglas thomas Email: dleet86atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: windows vista w/firefox can't get www.philosophersnet.com, explorer can Comments: read summary...philosophers mag online w/editor Julian Baginni Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Firefox using google brings up an error in my website that is not brought up using other browsers. My website is www.biblemetaphors.com. Where can I find help to fix this problem. The problem is in th
Name: Donald R. Strombeck Email: dstrombeck_at_sbcglobal.net Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox using google brings up an error in my website that is not brought up using other browsers. My website is www.biblemetaphors.com. Where can I find help to fix this problem. The problem is in the number 2 item on teaching evolution. The error consists of a series of vertical arrows that should appear in a figure two-thirds to three-fourths of the way down the page. Thanks for any help. Don Strombeck Comments: Firefox using google brings up an error in my website that is not brought up usi...

Cannot get to firefox from thunderbird-cannot get to firefox at all.
Name: Sharon O'Hara Email: familien1_at_wavecable.com Product: Firefox Summary: Cannot get to firefox from thunderbird-cannot get to firefox at all. Comments: Thunderbird freezes up, Windows offers a file an error report and I'm shut down. I got here -now- through IE - why will IE work when Firefox won't? Sharon O'Hara Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) ...

default google search engine points NOT to www.google.com
hi there, (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 ID:2006011112) I try to figure out a strange problem. my default search engine (the one located in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\google.src") is according to the google.src file pointing correctly to www.google.com. fine... however, doing a search in the searchbar with google as searchengine selected, will point me either to www.google.fr or http://www.google.co.il i am somewhat puzzled. how does this happen? any hint is appreciated ...

Web resources about - Cannot get to www.google.com - mozilla.support.firefox

Trump Makes Sexually Derogatory Remark About Hillary Clinton
In one of his most vicious attacks yet against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump used a sexually derogatory remark in reference ...

Kim Kardashian’s Butt Gets Its Own Emoji
When Kim Kardashian launched her new emoji app Monday, the reality star’s band of devoted, emoji-fluent fans responded accordingly — by overpopulating ...

The Known and Unknown Unknowns in the Republican Race Ahead
Some observations on the 2016 presidential race as we head into the dark period, i.e., the two weeks of Christmas and New Year's holidays in ...

NYPD Detective Among 6 U.S. Troops Killed in Afghanistan Suicide Bombing
One of the six American troops killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan on Monday was Joseph Lemm, a New York City police detective, the Associated ...

SpaceX launches rocket 6 months after accident, then lands
It was the first time an unmanned rocket returned to land vertically at Cape Canaveral, Florida, and represented a tremendous success for SpaceX. ...

Big data's billion-dollar quality problem: 3 tips for sidestepping it
The costs of working with dirty data are staggering. Save money and time by following these tips on how to improve the quality of your company ...

Blatter, Platini affair marks 'new low point' in football
Leading figures in football hit out at the disgraced Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini after they were handed eight-year bans from the sport. FIFA ...

Oregon woman held in Las Vegas Strip sidewalk rampage drove with license suspended
Reuters Oregon woman held in Las Vegas Strip sidewalk rampage drove with license suspended Reuters LAS VEGAS An Oregon woman who killed one ...

Martin Shkreli fired from another pharma company after arrest
Martin Shkreli's bad month continues. After being arrested last week on charges of securities fraud, the infamous Shkreli — who came to public ...

FDA lifts lifetime ban on gay men donating blood
CNN FDA lifts lifetime ban on gay men donating blood CNN (CNN) The Food and Drug Administration has lifted its lifetime ban on accepting blood ...