Can't Log in for Add-Ons

I'm trying to sign into addons.mozilla.org and I keep getting the
message:

"Mozilla Add-ons has transitioned to Firefox Accounts for login.
Continue to complete the simple login process."

Then it loops back to the same login screen.

I JUST CREATED a "Firefox account" and I never had a Add-Ons site
account.  Firefox 50.1.0 with 1st and 3rd party cookies enabled for
mozilla.org and firefox.com.

Why do you have to go through this bullshit to get addons "permanently
installed" anyway?  And then not have this convoluted process work in
the first place.  This may be the last straw <sigh>.  Firefox used to
be trustworthy and dependable.

-sw
-1
Sqwertz
12/30/2016 8:46:04 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23712 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

9 Replies
109 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 7

On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 14:46:04 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> I'm trying to sign into addons.mozilla.org and I keep getting the
> message:
> 
> "Mozilla Add-ons has transitioned to Firefox Accounts for login.
> Continue to complete the simple login process."
> 
> Then it loops back to the same login screen.
> 
> I JUST CREATED a "Firefox account" and I never had a Add-Ons site
> account.  Firefox 50.1.0 with 1st and 3rd party cookies enabled for
> mozilla.org and firefox.com.
> 
> Why do you have to go through this bullshit to get addons "permanently
> installed" anyway?


I do not sign in to into addons.mozilla.org.  I just go to 
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/  and search for the 
add-on I need.  Then I install the add-on in Firefox.  

The add-on must be "permanently installed" because it is still 
there after I restart Firefox.  Even though I did not sign in.


-- 
Kind regards
Ralph
🦊 
-1
Ralph
12/30/2016 9:12:41 PM
Sqwertz wrote:
> I'm trying to sign into addons.mozilla.org and I keep getting the
> message:
>
> "Mozilla Add-ons has transitioned to Firefox Accounts for login.
> Continue to complete the simple login process."
>
> Then it loops back to the same login screen.
>
> I JUST CREATED a "Firefox account" and I never had a Add-Ons site
> account.  Firefox 50.1.0 with 1st and 3rd party cookies enabled for
> mozilla.org and firefox.com.
>
> Why do you have to go through this bullshit to get addons "permanently
> installed" anyway?  And then not have this convoluted process work in
> the first place.  This may be the last straw <sigh>.  Firefox used to
> be trustworthy and dependable.
>
> -sw

That's strange.  I never had to create an acct for either FF or SM.
I use FF 27 and SM 2.26 so maybe it's something to do with FF 50?

-1
Paul
12/30/2016 11:07:21 PM
On 12/30/2016 3:07 PM, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> I'm trying to sign into addons.mozilla.org and I keep getting the
>> message:
>>
>> "Mozilla Add-ons has transitioned to Firefox Accounts for login.
>> Continue to complete the simple login process."
>>
>> Then it loops back to the same login screen.
>>
>> I JUST CREATED a "Firefox account" and I never had a Add-Ons site
>> account.  Firefox 50.1.0 with 1st and 3rd party cookies enabled for
>> mozilla.org and firefox.com.
>>
>> Why do you have to go through this bullshit to get addons "permanently
>> installed" anyway?  And then not have this convoluted process work in
>> the first place.  This may be the last straw <sigh>.  Firefox used to
>> be trustworthy and dependable.
>>
>> -sw
> 
> That's strange.  I never had to create an acct for either FF or SM.
> I use FF 27 and SM 2.26 so maybe it's something to do with FF 50?
> 

If you wish to post a review of an extension, you must login.  If you
merely want to download or directly install an extension, a login is not
necessary.

-- 
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.
-1
David
12/30/2016 11:24:32 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 12/30/2016 3:07 PM, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I'm trying to sign into addons.mozilla.org and I keep getting the
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "Mozilla Add-ons has transitioned to Firefox Accounts for login.
>>> Continue to complete the simple login process."
>>>
>>> Then it loops back to the same login screen.
>>>
>>> I JUST CREATED a "Firefox account" and I never had a Add-Ons site
>>> account.  Firefox 50.1.0 with 1st and 3rd party cookies enabled for
>>> mozilla.org and firefox.com.
>>>
>>> Why do you have to go through this bullshit to get addons "permanently
>>> installed" anyway?  And then not have this convoluted process work in
>>> the first place.  This may be the last straw <sigh>.  Firefox used to
>>> be trustworthy and dependable.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>
>> That's strange.  I never had to create an acct for either FF or SM.
>> I use FF 27 and SM 2.26 so maybe it's something to do with FF 50?
>>
>
> If you wish to post a review of an extension, you must login.  If you
> merely want to download or directly install an extension, a login is not
> necessary.

Thanks David.
I did not know that.

-1
Paul
12/31/2016 1:26:48 AM
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 17:07:21 -0600, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> I'm trying to sign into addons.mozilla.org and I keep getting the
>> message:
>>
>> "Mozilla Add-ons has transitioned to Firefox Accounts for login.
>> Continue to complete the simple login process."
>>
>> Then it loops back to the same login screen.
>>
>> I JUST CREATED a "Firefox account" and I never had a Add-Ons site
>> account.  Firefox 50.1.0 with 1st and 3rd party cookies enabled for
>> mozilla.org and firefox.com.
>>
>> Why do you have to go through this bullshit to get addons "permanently
>> installed" anyway?  And then not have this convoluted process work in
>> the first place.  This may be the last straw <sigh>.  Firefox used to
>> be trustworthy and dependable.
>>
>> -sw
> 
> That's strange.  I never had to create an acct for either FF or SM.
> I use FF 27 and SM 2.26 so maybe it's something to do with FF 50?

I just realized this is apparently just for the Chrome extensions.

Doesn't matter now as I already "temporarily installed" the Chromecast
and video extensions I was after and they don't work worth a crap.

Still, logging into the site is a problem.  But now I couldn't care
less what the problem is.

FWIW: "Temporary extensions" that aren't activated by logging in
disappear when you close Firefox. Strange that I don't have to log
into anything to get those same extensions using the real Chrome
browser <shrug>.

-sw
1
Sqwertz
12/31/2016 3:59:52 AM
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 15:24:32 -0800, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 12/30/2016 3:07 PM, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I'm trying to sign into addons.mozilla.org and I keep getting the
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "Mozilla Add-ons has transitioned to Firefox Accounts for login.
>>> Continue to complete the simple login process."
>>>
>>> Then it loops back to the same login screen.
>>>
>>> I JUST CREATED a "Firefox account" and I never had a Add-Ons site
>>> account.  Firefox 50.1.0 with 1st and 3rd party cookies enabled for
>>> mozilla.org and firefox.com.
>>>
>>> Why do you have to go through this bullshit to get addons "permanently
>>> installed" anyway?  And then not have this convoluted process work in
>>> the first place.  This may be the last straw <sigh>.  Firefox used to
>>> be trustworthy and dependable.
>> 
>> That's strange.  I never had to create an acct for either FF or SM.
>> I use FF 27 and SM 2.26 so maybe it's something to do with FF 50?
> 
> If you wish to post a review of an extension, you must login.  If you
> merely want to download or directly install an extension, a login is not
> necessary.

Logins are required to "permanently install" Chrome
extensions/add-ons.  Otherwise any installed extensions disappear when
you close Firefox ver 48+.

I can't find a explanation of why this is necessary.  It's not
required on Chrome itself - no account needed to download or install
(and no, I'm not signed into Google either).

-sw
-1
Sqwertz
12/31/2016 4:03:30 AM
On 2016-12-30 22:59, Sqwertz <swertz@cluemail.compost> wrote:

[snip]

> I just realized this is apparently just for the Chrome extensions.

Strange, hope this doesn't become the norm when FF5x comes out...

> Doesn't matter now as I already "temporarily installed" the Chromecast
> and video extensions I was after and they don't work worth a crap.
>
> Still, logging into the site is a problem.  But now I couldn't care
> less what the problem is.

Do you use a redirect-bypass extension? I had to whitelist "oauth" in 
mine or I was unable to log in...

> FWIW: "Temporary extensions" that aren't activated by logging in
> disappear when you close Firefox. Strange that I don't have to log
> into anything to get those same extensions using the real Chrome
> browser <shrug>.

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing...

Regards,

-- 
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo  USER: A technical term used by computer pros. See idiot.

1
B00ze
12/31/2016 5:51:54 AM
On 2016-12-31 12:51 AM, B00ze wrote:
> On 2016-12-30 22:59, Sqwertz <swertz@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I just realized this is apparently just for the Chrome extensions.
>
> Strange, hope this doesn't become the norm when FF5x comes out...

It is not required for webextensions. I assume Sqwertz is trying to 
install extensions from the Chrome store using the "Chrome Store 
Foxified" extension, which allows you to install extensions from the 
Chrome store and requires an AMO account.
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/>

If you want to install a webextension from AMO, like uBlock Origin, no 
login is required.

-- 
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Mailing list/Newsgroup moderator
-1
Chris
12/31/2016 6:59:02 AM
Chris Ilias <nmo5@ilias.ca> Wrote in message:
> 
> It is not required for webextensions. I assume Sqwertz is trying to 
> install extensions from the Chrome store using the "Chrome Store 
> Foxified" extension, which allows you to install extensions from the 
> Chrome store and requires an AMO account.
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/>
> 
Hmmm. That's a remarkable addon. I can see some potential problems
 for the developer if an addon is also available on AMO and people
 are - unknown to them - installing from the chrome webstore.
 Stats? Reviews? And for the user. How does it handle updates? I
 have an addon in both stores which is different - Fx does more -
 and in the past it's been different because one had a workround
 for a Firefix bug (and still does if using an old version of
 Firefox).  It's not a webextension yet because it doesn't work on
 Android - quite a few webextension features don't yet work on
 Android.

So before using this Foxifier, check there isn't a version of the
 addon in addons.mozilla.org
-- 
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
-1
Dave
12/31/2016 8:00:23 AM
Reply: