Can't get most embedded videos to play in Firefox 3.6.8/Windows Vista 64bit

I think this is a new problem, but I am mystified.

I cannot play embedded YouTube videos any more. Example:
http://ow.ly/1qNubO

When I try to play it, I get "An error occurred, please try again
later". If I go to YouTube itself, the video play properly. This
happens on all embedded YouTube videos.

I can't get other videos to play properly. This video, embedded from
MSNBC, plays properly using Internet Explorer, but won't play at all
in Firefox. http://ow.ly/1qNubU

I also can't get Silverlight videos to play properly in Firefox.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/mediacenter/npf.jsp Click on one of the top 4
videos, they are free (the rest are subscription). I get an error, the
video won't play in Firefox but plays properly in Internet Explorer.

Any help is gratefully appreciated?

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5@rochester.rr.com

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
   I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack
0
Paige

On 8/8/2010 7:47 AM, Paige Miller wrote:

I should add that if I start Firefox in Safe Mode, disabling all
add-ons, the same problems exist.

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5@rochester.rr.com

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
   I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack
0
Paige
8/8/2010 12:01:59 PM
On 8/8/2010 7:47 AM, Paige Miller wrote:
> I think this is a new problem, but I am mystified.
>
> I cannot play embedded YouTube videos any more. Example:
> http://ow.ly/1qNubO
>
> When I try to play it, I get "An error occurred, please try again later".
> If I go to YouTube itself, the video play properly. This happens on all
> embedded YouTube videos.
>
> I can't get other videos to play properly. This video, embedded from MSNBC,
> plays properly using Internet Explorer, but won't play at all in Firefox.
> http://ow.ly/1qNubU
>
> I also can't get Silverlight videos to play properly in Firefox.
> http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/mediacenter/npf.jsp Click on one of the top 4
> videos, they are free (the rest are subscription). I get an error, the
> video won't play in Firefox but plays properly in Internet Explorer.
>
> Any help is gratefully appreciated?

Do you have add-ons installed? Did embedded videos ever work with this
computer and OS? If so, when did they stop working?  I dug out my old
notebook which has the same OS and updated to that version of FF and had no
problem with the videos you linked to.
0
John
8/8/2010 1:10:45 PM
On 10-08-08 7:47 AM, Paige Miller wrote:
> I think this is a new problem, but I am mystified.
>
> I cannot play embedded YouTube videos any more. Example:
> http://ow.ly/1qNubO
>
> When I try to play it, I get "An error occurred, please try again
> later". If I go to YouTube itself, the video play properly. This happens
> on all embedded YouTube videos.
>
> I can't get other videos to play properly. This video, embedded from
> MSNBC, plays properly using Internet Explorer, but won't play at all in
> Firefox. http://ow.ly/1qNubU
>
> I also can't get Silverlight videos to play properly in Firefox.
> http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/mediacenter/npf.jsp Click on one of the top 4
> videos, they are free (the rest are subscription). I get an error, the
> video won't play in Firefox but plays properly in Internet Explorer.
>
> Any help is gratefully appreciated?

According to your headers, you're using Windows ME (or 95). Let's make
sure Firefox is reporting itself correctly. In Firefox, go to
Help-->Troubleshooting_Information__, then click [Copy all to
Clipboard]. Open a reply to this post, and go to Edit-->Paste to paste
the info from your Troubleshooting Information page.

Let's also make sure you are using the latest version of the Flash
plugin, which is required for youtube videos. You can check at
<http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/>
To update Flash, see
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+the+Flash+Plugin#Updating_Flash>

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 08/08/2010 14:17, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 10-08-08 7:47 AM, Paige Miller wrote:
>> I think this is a new problem, but I am mystified.
>>
>> I cannot play embedded YouTube videos any more. Example:
>> http://ow.ly/1qNubO
>>
>> When I try to play it, I get "An error occurred, please try again
>> later". If I go to YouTube itself, the video play properly. This happens
>> on all embedded YouTube videos.
>>
>> I can't get other videos to play properly. This video, embedded from
>> MSNBC, plays properly using Internet Explorer, but won't play at all in
>> Firefox. http://ow.ly/1qNubU
>>
>> I also can't get Silverlight videos to play properly in Firefox.

According to the Silverlight wiki, no versions are supported on Windows
9x/ME. I'm surprised the videos run at all on your machine. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight#Operating_systems_and_web_browsers

>> http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/mediacenter/npf.jsp Click on one of the top 4
>> videos, they are free (the rest are subscription). I get an error, the
>> video won't play in Firefox but plays properly in Internet Explorer.
>>
>> Any help is gratefully appreciated?
>
> According to your headers, you're using Windows ME (or 95).  [...]

IMO that's the problem. And older version of FF might function as OP
wishes, but basically he has an obsolete, no longer supported OS, and FF
is explicitly designed to work best with NT-based Windows
(2000/XP/Vista/7), not DOS-based ones (3.x/9x/ME).

I checked the URL, it has an embedded YT video. It also has 8 linked
websites, all of which want to run javascript applets - always a bad
sign IMO. It could well be that the website is "optimised" for IE.
Finally, http://validator.w3.org/ shows 82 errors and 56 warnings.
IOW, I think it's a surprise that it works at all, with any browser.

The embedded YT video runs properly here on FF 3.x on XP Pro/SP3. I
don't have Silverlight installed, so I can't test the other website.

IMO it's not too surprising that FF running on Win9x/ME is not able to
do all that OP wants. I don't think there's any way tweaking FF to do
that, actually.

My suggestions to OP:
1) Keep IE for those websites for which it works and FF doesn't;
2) Buy a new computer with Win7 as soon as you've saved the money for
it. You can get an end-of-the-line, last-year's laptop at Staples etc
for around $300-500 these days, and it will be at least ten times a s
powerful as what you now have.

HTH
wolf k.
0
Greywolf
8/8/2010 11:14:39 PM
Paige Miller wrote:
> On 8/8/2010 7:47 AM, Paige Miller wrote:
>
> I should add that if I start Firefox in Safe Mode, disabling all
> add-ons, the same problems exist.

Try a new profile.
0
Pete
8/8/2010 11:23:47 PM
On 08/08/2010 14:17, Chris Ilias wrote:
[...]
> According to your headers, you're using Windows ME (or 95). Let's make
> sure Firefox is reporting itself correctly. In Firefox, go to
> Help-->Troubleshooting_Information__, then click [Copy all to
> Clipboard]. Open a reply to this post, and go to Edit-->Paste to paste
> the info from your Troubleshooting Information page.
>
> Let's also make sure you are using the latest version of the Flash
> plugin, which is required for youtube videos. You can check at
> <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/>
> To update Flash, see
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+the+Flash+Plugin#Updating_Flash>

But the Subject refers to Vista 64 bit. IIRC, 64-bit Vista has had many
(unfixed) issues. So that could be a problem, too.

Maybe OP is using an old machine for e-mail/news groups.... In which
case my advice in another post misses the point. ;-)
wolf k.

0
Greywolf
8/8/2010 11:33:36 PM
On 8/8/2010 7:33 PM, Greywolf wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 14:17, Chris Ilias wrote:
> [...]
>> According to your headers, you're using Windows ME (or 95). Let's make
>> sure Firefox is reporting itself correctly. In Firefox, go to
>> Help-->Troubleshooting_Information__, then click [Copy all to
>> Clipboard]. Open a reply to this post, and go to Edit-->Paste to paste
>> the info from your Troubleshooting Information page.
>>
>> Let's also make sure you are using the latest version of the Flash
>> plugin, which is required for youtube videos. You can check at
>> <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/>
>> To update Flash, see
>> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+the+Flash+Plugin#Updating_Flash>
>>

> But the Subject refers to Vista 64 bit. IIRC, 64-bit Vista has had many
> (unfixed) issues. So that could be a problem, too.
>
> Maybe OP is using an old machine for e-mail/news groups.... In which
> case my advice in another post misses the point. ;-)
> wolf k.

Sorry for not replying, I was called out of town unexpectedly.

The computer is most definitely Vista 64, I have no idea why the
Thunderbird post to this newsgroup shows anything different. My Flash
is up to date.

I created a new profile, and this seems to have fixed the problem. I
would like to know why this happens, and if there is anything I can do
to prevent such issues in the future. Thanks!

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5@rochester.rr.com

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
   I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack
0
Paige

Can't read Silverlight videos in Firefox 3.6.8
Name: Wassi Lassissi Email: wdlaatfreedotfr Product: Firefox Summary: Can't read Silverlight videos in Firefox 3.6.8 Comments: Hello, I cant't read in firefox 3.6.8 Silverlight videos form dartfish.tv (example : http://www.dartfish.tv/Player.aspx?CR=p2c11336m123649). The video space is black. I tried it on Opera and it works fine (and before in other reéleases of Firefox). Thank you for your help. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; fr; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hen...

Firefox 3.6 Beta won't play an embedded WMP video
Name: barsorro Email: sobarsoatgazetadotpl Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox 3.6 Beta won't play an embedded WMP video Comments: When trying to watch a video from this webpage: http://www.tvp.pl/styl-zycia/podroze/boso-przez-swiat/wideo/kopalnia-zlota the place for the embedded player doesn't load the player, and all I get instead is a black box with a message written in white: "Waiting for video". The technical requirements for video playback, which are listed next to the video box, state that an updated Windows Media Player v. 10, o...

can't get any support and can't open firefox
Name: Jacquelyn Flora Email: jacquelynfloraatmacdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: can't get any support and can't open firefox Comments: I am so completely frustrated since I have been trying to resolve this issue for weeks. I cannot open firefox at all ever since I upgraded (big mistake) to 3.0.5 and then 3.0.6. Your support site isn't worth anything because it doesn't answer any of the questions. I am so frustrated that I am ready to give up. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like...

Can't read Silverlight videos in Firefox 3.6.8 SOLVED PROBLEM
Name: Wassi Lassissi Email: wdlaatfreedotfr Product: Firefox Summary: Can't read Silverlight videos in Firefox 3.6.8 SOLVED PROBLEM Comments: Hello, I wrote yesterday that I couldn't read Silverlight Videos, the reason was Flashblock. In standard use of Flashblock it is possible to read the video after a click on the arrow who is in its center but it is not enougth for Silverlight : it is necessary to allow Flash animations for the site, and it works. Sorry for the inconvenience. Best regards. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; fr; rv:1....

windows vista w/firefox can't get www.philosophersnet.com, explorer can
Name: douglas thomas Email: dleet86atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: windows vista w/firefox can't get www.philosophersnet.com, explorer can Comments: read summary...philosophers mag online w/editor Julian Baginni Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

I need firefox 3.6.2 because 3.6.3 don't run in windows 7
Name: maria izabel besse Email: belbesseatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I need firefox 3.6.2 because 3.6.3 don't run in windows 7 Comments: I need firefox 3.6.2 because 3.6.3 don't run in windows 7 But I don't find 3.6.2 now, only 3.6.3 thanks Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB0.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; MDDC) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide...

Firefox 3.6.4 and 3.6.6 won't work on my Vista HP Desktop
Name: Dick McCoy Email: d_mccoy03atinsightbbdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.6.4 and 3.6.6 won't work on my Vista HP Desktop Comments: Every time I update Firefox with either 3.6.4 or 3.6.6 is sets proxy setting that won't work, per the screen messages ,and the web sites I try to load error out. I end up having to restore my system settings to 6/23/10. After the restore I can use Firefox again, BUT NOT IF I RUN THE 3.6.4 OR 3.6.6 UPDATES. I WILL NOT update Firefox using 3.6.4 or 3.6.6. unless I receive an update that I know will work. Browser Detai...

Can't play embedded videos in Firefox
Certain types of embedded videos will not play on my PC (running Vista and latest FF). When I try, I get an invitation to install a plug-in which fails with the message "Unknown plugin (application/x-mplayer2)." What does this mean? Where can I get this plug-in? Cheers. Bobby /Bobby/ said: > Certain types of embedded videos will not play on my PC (running Vista and > latest FF). > > When I try, I get an invitation to install a plug-in which fails with the > message "Unknown plugin (application/x-mplayer2)." > > What does ...

Can't get Google Videos to play in Firefox.
Is anybody else having this problem? I can't get Google Videos or Youtube videos to play in Firefox. I have the latest version of Firefox and none of my extensions should be causing this problem. My version of Flash is 9.0 r45 and that should be current enough. -- Regards, John Corliss John Corliss wrote: > Is anybody else having this problem? I can't get Google Videos or > Youtube videos to play in Firefox. I have the latest version of Firefox > and none of my extensions should be causing this problem. My version of > Flash is 9.0 r45 and that should b...

Firefox doesn't open; can't get support in Explorer
Name: ken reid Email: kreidatfdainfodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox doesn't open; can't get support in Explorer Comments: Hi I have been using Thunderbird and Firefox for at least seven years. I do not like Outlook or Internet Explorer. However, I had to sync my PDA phone today with Outlook and now I can't open Firefox at all. I get an error that says: <window ID="main window" V I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program three times, but it wont open. Thunderbird is fine and the box for Outlook and Internet explorer bei...

Can't Update Firefox 3.6.12 to 3.6.13
Name: Email: ajheath19atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Can't Update Firefox 3.6.12 to 3.6.13 Comments: Mac OS 10.6.5 Software Update Window hangs with these messages... Downloading the update... Connecting to the update server... Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ajhea...

Firefox 3.5.7 can't play video links
Why is it that when I want to open a CBS News vido link (or any other), and I white list the page, give all the permissions adblock asks for etc., it still won't play, but when I open internet explorer, there's no problem? Anything I should be checking for that I haven't up to now? This is such a continual problem that I'm gradually drifting back to IE rather than Firefox. On 1/17/2010 3:19 PM, PWM wrote: > Why is it that when I want to open a CBS News vido link (or any other), > and I white list the page, give all the permissions adblock asks for > e...