browser session restore interval and SSD

Some time ago, 2016 I think, there was some fuss about the browser
session restore interval being 15 seconds, and how this causes SSD to
wear out. I noticed recently having put firefox on a tablet that the
interval is still 15 seconds. So was anything done about this problem?
or maybe it wasn't a problem, or the solution was just to change the
interval? It's not something one thinks about when installing firefox
for the first time, or re-installing the system.
0
Richmond
6/4/2018 8:05:10 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

On 06/04/2018 10:05 AM, Richmond wrote:
> Some time ago, 2016 I think, there was some fuss about the browser
> session restore interval being 15 seconds, and how this causes SSD to
> wear out. I noticed recently having put firefox on a tablet that the
> interval is still 15 seconds. So was anything done about this problem?
> or maybe it wasn't a problem, or the solution was just to change the
> interval? It's not something one thinks about when installing firefox
> for the first time, or re-installing the system.

You'll have to manually change the the interval.

0
Christian
6/4/2018 7:57:25 PM
Richmond wrote:
> Some time ago, 2016 I think, there was some fuss about the browser
> session restore interval being 15 seconds, and how this causes SSD to
> wear out. I noticed recently having put firefox on a tablet that the
> interval is still 15 seconds. So was anything done about this problem?

https://www.mahal.org/change-firefox-session-store-interval-to-save-your-ssd

Note the "One thought on ..." comment from Feb 12.
I can't confirm it, because my FF 52ESR doesn't have the mentioned
browser.sessionstore.interval.idle setting. Maybe it's only in the
newer "normal" releases?

-p

0
PietB
6/5/2018 12:53:17 PM
PietB wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>> Some time ago, 2016 I think, there was some fuss about the browser
>> session restore interval being 15 seconds, and how this causes SSD to
>> wear out. I noticed recently having put firefox on a tablet that the
>> interval is still 15 seconds. So was anything done about this problem?
>
> https://www.mahal.org/change-firefox-session-store-interval-to-save-your-ssd
>
> Note the "One thought on ..." comment from Feb 12.
> I can't confirm it, because my FF 52ESR doesn't have the mentioned
> browser.sessionstore.interval.idle setting. Maybe it's only in the
> newer "normal" releases?
>
> -p

That's interesting. I couldn't find documentation for it, except
apparently in the source code. I have the setting in 61.0b6 but I don't
think it was in the android version I have.

I don't think people are likely to change these settings though at the
time they install. They won't be thinking about it.

https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/browser/components/sessionstore/SessionSaver.jsm

Where it says:

*
 * Minimal interval between two save operations (in milliseconds).
 *
 * To save system resources, we generally do not save changes
immediately when
 * a change is detected. Rather, we wait a little to see if this change is
 * followed by other changes, in which case only the last write is
necessary.
 * This delay is defined by "browser.sessionstore.interval".
 *
 * Furthermore, when the user is not actively using the computer, webpages
 * may still perform changes that require (re)writing to sessionstore, e.g.
 * updating Session Cookies or DOM Session Storage, or refreshing, etc. We
 * expect that these changes are much less critical to the user and do not
 * need to be saved as often. In such cases, we increase the delay to
 *  "browser.sessionstore.interval.idle".
 *
 * When the user returns to the computer, if a save is pending, we
reschedule
 * it to happen soon, with "browser.sessionstore.interval".
 */
0
Richmond