Any way NOT to use Flash?

Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.

--
Thank you,
Jo-Anne

On 3/17/17 20:01, Jo-Anne wrote:
> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.

NO, your options are:
Dump the iPad, get an Android or Windows tablet.
Switch to another paper.

0
Vic
3/18/2017 1:55:04 AM
Jo-Anne wrote on 3/17/2017 7:01 PM:
> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without using
> Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much easier to
> read and to navigate on the iPad.

With your user agent an Apple iPad I am surprised that the paper does not
recognize it and serve an appropriate version.
--
Ron K.
Thunderbird user since May, 2003
Jo-Anne wrote:

> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
> Flash.

If you set Firefox to "Ask to activate", you get a placeholder icon for
where would be the Flash content within the page and an icon at the left
of the address bar.  Those are not in your way.  They alert you that
Flash is currently disabled for that site.  They don't demand that you
enable Flash.

Or is the site shoving a pseudo-popup in your face telling you that they
demand Flash be available to show their content?

> Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
> using Flash?

Some sites provide Flash-only content.  Some sites provide HTML5 video
only content.  Some sites provide both and will present you with the
content that is applicable to your setup: if Flash is available then
they deliver Flash content, if Flash is not available or not detected
then they deliver HTML5 video content.

You cannot force the site to deliver HTML5 video content if they don't
have it.  If they only have Flash content, your choice is to not see it
or to allow Flash (on demand via "Ask to activate" or always via "Always
activate") to see it.  If you are using "Ask to activate", you can elect
to "Allow and remember" which puts that site on a whitelist where Flash
will always play; however, if you purge Site Preferences on exit from
Firefox then that preference is lost.

> There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.

Oooh, iPad, yuck.  Apple doesn't support Flash on iPods and iPads.  Find
out if your online daily newspaper has a non-Flash (HTML5) version of
their site or their videos or ignore the video and just read their text
(or get the same news from elsewhere that supports HTML5 video).

While Apple doesn't support Flash, you can install apps that can play
Flash content, as mentioned at the following articles (found by a simple
online search on "ipad flash"):

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/how-get-flash-ipad-iphone-2017-3460979/

https://appadvice.com/appguides/show/adobe-flash-on-the-ipad
(no datestamp - typical of blogs - so some of it may be out of date)

https://www.lifewire.com/play-flash-on-ipad-1994160
0
VanguardLH
3/18/2017 3:33:45 AM
  On 18.03.2017, Jo-Anne wrote in
     <mailman.455.1489795323.10544.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>:

> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7 computer,
> the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate Flash. Is there
> any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without using Flash? There's no
> Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much easier to read and to navigate on
> the iPad.

You could try to fake the User-Agent for that specific site and make
the site believe you're browsing with an iPad while it's still Firefox.
There is an addon that allows to configure the User-Agent "per site".

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/uacontrol/>

To find out how your User-Agent looks on the iPad, just visit:

http://www.whatsmyua.com/

(works with any browser to find out what it sends as User-Agent).

--
'%d!' % (1337*math.pi/100)
0
Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> Wrote in message:
> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.

I've had this problem, on Linux, but not found a universal
 solution. I've not tried on Win.

You could try removing Flash from the machine altogether, with
 Add/delete programs (if that's what Win 7 had). There are two
 programs installed - one for IE - called ActiveX - and one for
 Firefox - called NPAPI. Of course you wouldn't be able to use it
 on other sites that need it. And it's not guaranteed to work
 either - it depends on the website choosing to serve HTML5 video
 instead when it fails to detect flash support. It might just say
 'needs flash' - bloody irritating when you know it can serve
 HTML5 on iOS.

Good luck.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
On 03/17/2017 07:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.

Some websites require either Flash or HTML5, but (bad page design?) will
insist on Flash if it is present (seems much better to prefer HTML5).
However, you can set an exception to block flash on that page.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative
notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas
--uncertainty, progress, change -- into crimes." --Salman Rushdie
0
Mark
3/18/2017 6:14:25 PM
Alex S. wrote:
>  On 18.03.2017, Jo-Anne wrote in
>     <mailman.455.1489795323.10544.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>:
>
>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>
> You could try to fake the User-Agent for that specific site and make the
> site believe you're browsing with an iPad while it's still Firefox.
> There is an addon that allows to configure the User-Agent "per site".
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/uacontrol/>
>
> To find out how your User-Agent looks on the iPad, just visit:
>
> http://www.whatsmyua.com/
>
> (works with any browser to find out what it sends as User-Agent).

An iPad cannot use plugins.  There is no point to faking the user-agent
for that. How would you do that with a mobile device anyway?

0
EE
3/18/2017 6:16:43 PM
  In <mailman.477.1489861036.10544.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>
      EE wrote on 18.03.2017

> An iPad cannot use plugins.  There is no point to faking the user-agent for
> that. How would you do that with a mobile device anyway?

I'm fully aware that an iPad can not use plugins. But Firefox can. It
was meant the other way around as she wants to get rid of flash on
Firefox, so telling Firefox to behave like an iPad on that particular
site would probably work. iPads don't have flash, so the site won't
even try to serve flash content.

--
'%d!' % (1337*math.pi/100)
0
On 2017-03-17 8:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.

What's the URL?
Are you referring to Firefox for iOS?

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2017-03-17 8:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>
> What's the URL?
> Are you referring to Firefox for iOS?

If he is using an iPad, or iPhone then the system is IOS.  And yes he
would be using FireFox IOS.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:pjonescet@comcast.net
On 3/19/2017 2:46 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> On 2017-03-17 8:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>
>> What's the URL?
>> Are you referring to Firefox for iOS?
>>
> If he is using an iPad, or iPhone then the system is IOS.  And yes he
> would be using FireFox IOS.

I'm the OP, and for what it's worth, I'm not using Firefox on the iPad.
I assume the link to the newspaper that I get in daily emails opens the
newspaper in Safari on the iPad.

Flash doesn't work as well on my Windows 7 computer with Firefox as
whatever the iPad uses in place of Flash. The newspaper is easier to
read and easier to navigate on the iPad. I was guessing that the issue
on the W7 computer was Flash--but I suppose it could be Firefox.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/18/2017 2:36 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2017-03-17 8:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>
> What's the URL?
> Are you referring to Firefox for iOS?

As far as I know, you have to subscribe to the newspaper to be able to
read it online as if it were the print edition--page for page. I get a
daily link in an email; I assume the newspaper is opening in Safari on
the iPad, since I don't have Firefox installed on it.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/18/2017 1:14 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 03/17/2017 07:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>

> Some websites require either Flash or HTML5, but (bad page design?) will
> insist on Flash if it is present (seems much better to prefer HTML5).
> However, you can set an exception to block flash on that page.

Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doing
it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
company requires Flash on the W7 computer.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/18/2017 4:19 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
> Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> Wrote in message:
>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>
> I've had this problem, on Linux, but not found a universal
>   solution. I've not tried on Win.
>
> You could try removing Flash from the machine altogether, with
>   Add/delete programs (if that's what Win 7 had). There are two
>   programs installed - one for IE - called ActiveX - and one for
>   Firefox - called NPAPI. Of course you wouldn't be able to use it
>   on other sites that need it. And it's not guaranteed to work
>   either - it depends on the website choosing to serve HTML5 video
>   instead when it fails to detect flash support. It might just say
>   'needs flash' - bloody irritating when you know it can serve
>   HTML5 on iOS.
>
> Good luck.

Thank you, Dave! I'm reluctant to remove Flash entirely, since some
other websites require it. I do have it ask to activate each time, though.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/18/2017 3:58 AM, Alex S. wrote:
>   On 18.03.2017, Jo-Anne wrote in
>      <mailman.455.1489795323.10544.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>:
>
>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>
> You could try to fake the User-Agent for that specific site and make the
> site believe you're browsing with an iPad while it's still Firefox.
> There is an addon that allows to configure the User-Agent "per site".
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/uacontrol/>
>
> To find out how your User-Agent looks on the iPad, just visit:
>
> http://www.whatsmyua.com/
>
> (works with any browser to find out what it sends as User-Agent).

Thank you, Alex! I'll check out your suggestions.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/17/2017 10:33 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>
>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>> Flash.
>
> If you set Firefox to "Ask to activate", you get a placeholder icon for
> where would be the Flash content within the page and an icon at the left
> of the address bar.  Those are not in your way.  They alert you that
> Flash is currently disabled for that site.  They don't demand that you
> enable Flash.
>
> Or is the site shoving a pseudo-popup in your face telling you that they
> demand Flash be available to show their content?
>
>> Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>> using Flash?
>
> Some sites provide Flash-only content.  Some sites provide HTML5 video
> only content.  Some sites provide both and will present you with the
> content that is applicable to your setup: if Flash is available then
> they deliver Flash content, if Flash is not available or not detected
> then they deliver HTML5 video content.
>
> You cannot force the site to deliver HTML5 video content if they don't
> have it.  If they only have Flash content, your choice is to not see it
> or to allow Flash (on demand via "Ask to activate" or always via "Always
> activate") to see it.  If you are using "Ask to activate", you can elect
> to "Allow and remember" which puts that site on a whitelist where Flash
> will always play; however, if you purge Site Preferences on exit from
> Firefox then that preference is lost.
>
>> There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>
> Oooh, iPad, yuck.  Apple doesn't support Flash on iPods and iPads.  Find
> out if your online daily newspaper has a non-Flash (HTML5) version of
> their site or their videos or ignore the video and just read their text
> (or get the same news from elsewhere that supports HTML5 video).
>
> While Apple doesn't support Flash, you can install apps that can play
> Flash content, as mentioned at the following articles (found by a simple
> online search on "ipad flash"):
>
> http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/how-get-flash-ipad-iphone-2017-3460979/
>
> https://appadvice.com/appguides/show/adobe-flash-on-the-ipad
> (no datestamp - typical of blogs - so some of it may be out of date)
>
> https://www.lifewire.com/play-flash-on-ipad-1994160

Thank you, Vanguard! I guess what I need to do is figure out how to
block Flash from that website long enough to determine if the page will
display with something else.

The iPad is certainly not the same as a real computer, but it's fine for
certain kinds of things. So far I haven't had any problems viewing
webpages on it, even though it doesn't support Flash.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/17/2017 9:27 PM, Ron K. wrote:
> Jo-Anne wrote on 3/17/2017 7:01 PM:
>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without using
>> Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much easier to
>> read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>
> With your user agent an Apple iPad I am surprised that the paper does
> not recognize it and serve an appropriate version.

I read the newspaper on both my Win7 computer and my iPad. Whatever
Apple uses, the newspaper recognizes it and shows the newspaper pages
very well on the iPad. When I read the paper on my Win7 computer in
Firefox, the page insists on activating Flash--and I find reading the
paper in Firefox with Flash is clunky.

--
Jo-Anne
0

On 20/03/2017 01:26, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 3/17/2017 9:27 PM, Ron K. wrote:
>> Jo-Anne wrote on 3/17/2017 7:01 PM:
>>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>>> using
>>> Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much easier to
>>> read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>>
>> With your user agent an Apple iPad I am surprised that the paper does
>> not recognize it and serve an appropriate version.
>
> I read the newspaper on both my Win7 computer and my iPad. Whatever
> Apple uses, the newspaper recognizes it and shows the newspaper pages
> very well on the iPad. When I read the paper on my Win7 computer in
> Firefox, the page insists on activating Flash--and I find reading the
> paper in Firefox with Flash is clunky.

Have you tried to ask the support section of the newspaper?  Ask them
how can you access HTML5 version of their newspaper.

without a link, I doubt anybody here can help because we like to try
before we give out a solution.  Newspapers are subscription only these
days so your best bet is to ask them.  If you keep asking them once a
week then they will do something about it. Pestering does work when the
market is very competitive!!!.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

--------------030408090006040304010000

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:mailman.513.1489973230.10544.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">On 3/17/2017 9:27 PM, Ron K. wrote:
[...]
        how can you access HTML5 version of their newspaper.  <br>
        without a link, I doubt anybody here can help because we like to
        try before we give out a solution.  Newspapers are subscription
        only these days so your best bet is to ask them.  If you keep
        asking them once a week then they will do something about it.
        Pestering does work when the market is very competitive!!!.<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 500 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------030408090006040304010000--
0
Good
3/20/2017 2:07:24 AM
On 2017-03-19 21:11, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 3/19/2017 2:46 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:

>>> What's the URL?
>>> Are you referring to Firefox for iOS?
>>>
>> If he is using an iPad, or iPhone then the system is IOS.  And yes he
>> would be using FireFox IOS.
>>

> I'm the OP, and for what it's worth, I'm not using Firefox on the iPad.=

> I assume the link to the newspaper that I get in daily emails opens the=

> newspaper in Safari on the iPad.
>
> Flash doesn't work as well on my Windows 7 computer with Firefox as
> whatever the iPad uses in place of Flash. The newspaper is easier to
> read and easier to navigate on the iPad. I was guessing that the issue
> on the W7 computer was Flash--but I suppose it could be Firefox.

If you're reading it on the iPad, you're using an "app", which links to=20
a website optimised for display on the iPad. That app is not a browser,=20
that is, you can't access any other website with it.

I usually read BBC on my Android smartphone. It presents quite=20
differently than when I open BBC in Firefox. In fact, some of its=20
stories open the Internet app on my phone. Ditto for other news sources, =

radio feeds, etc. So I infer that your daily newspaper has basically=20
only one version of its newsfeed, optimised for the iPad. That wouldn't=20
surprise me, since creating versions for different platforms is expensive=
=2E

Have a good day,

--=20
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"What good is it having lower taxes when you can=E2=80=99t drink the wate=
r?=E2=80=9D

0
Wolf
3/20/2017 2:18:10 AM
On 2017-03-19 21:17, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 3/18/2017 1:14 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On 03/17/2017 07:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>>

>> Some websites require either Flash or HTML5, but (bad page design?) wi=
ll
>> insist on Flash if it is present (seems much better to prefer HTML5).
>> However, you can set an exception to block flash on that page.
>>

> Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doing=

> it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
> company requires Flash on the W7 computer.

You can block Flash and select HTML5 only if the website itself offers=20
that option. Youtube does, for example. IIRC, Youtube has indicated that =

it's moving to HTML5 only, but is keeping Flash until the bulk of=20
devices no longer use it. That will take quite a while, since most users =

keep their devices for 5 years or more, if my sample=20
(friends'n'relations) is typical.

Have a good day,

--=20
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"What good is it having lower taxes when you can=E2=80=99t drink the wate=
r?=E2=80=9D

0
Wolf
3/20/2017 2:21:09 AM
On 3/19/2017 9:26 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 3/17/2017 9:27 PM, Ron K. wrote:
>> Jo-Anne wrote on 3/17/2017 7:01 PM:
>>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>>> using
>>> Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much easier to
>>> read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>>
>> With your user agent an Apple iPad I am surprised that the paper does
>> not recognize it and serve an appropriate version.
>
> I read the newspaper on both my Win7 computer and my iPad. Whatever
> Apple uses, the newspaper recognizes it and shows the newspaper pages
> very well on the iPad. When I read the paper on my Win7 computer in
> Firefox, the page insists on activating Flash--and I find reading the
> paper in Firefox with Flash is clunky.

It might be useful to know that the smaller screens smartphones have a
higher pixel count density (and smaller pixels) than does a computer
monitor.

The expected result would be much cleaner and clearer characters of the
same font.

Carl
0
Kingdaddy
3/20/2017 2:56:33 AM
On 2017-03-19 9:15 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> On 2017-03-17 8:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>
> As far as I know, you have to subscribe to the newspaper to be able to
> read it online as if it were the print edition--page for page. I get a
> daily link in an email; I assume the newspaper is opening in Safari on
> the iPad, since I don't have Firefox installed on it.

Without a URL, the best advice I can give to set Flash to never
activate. That will make websites think you don't have Flash installed,
and serve you an HTML5 version instead.

1. Click on the menu button [=], then click on the Add-ons icon to open
the Add-ons manager.
2. Select the Plugins panel.
3. Beside Flash, click on "Ask to Activate" and set it to "Never Activate".

If you ever come across a site that actually requires Flash, you can
just reactivate it temporarily.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 3/19/2017 9:07 PM, Good Guy wrote:
> On 20/03/2017 01:26, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>>>
>>> With your user agent an Apple iPad I am surprised that the paper does
>>> not recognize it and serve an appropriate version.
>>
>> I read the newspaper on both my Win7 computer and my iPad. Whatever
>> Apple uses, the newspaper recognizes it and shows the newspaper pages
>> very well on the iPad. When I read the paper on my Win7 computer in
>> Firefox, the page insists on activating Flash--and I find reading the
>> paper in Firefox with Flash is clunky.
>>

> Have you tried to ask the support section of the newspaper?  Ask them
> how can you access HTML5 version of their newspaper.
>
> without a link, I doubt anybody here can help because we like to try
> before we give out a solution.  Newspapers are subscription only these
> days so your best bet is to ask them.  If you keep asking them once a
> week then they will do something about it. Pestering does work when the
> market is very competitive!!!.
>
> --
> With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

I've asked--several times. Each time, I get the canned response "here's
how to update Flash."

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/19/2017 9:56 PM, Kingdaddy 2 wrote:
> On 3/19/2017 9:26 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>>>
>>> With your user agent an Apple iPad I am surprised that the paper does
>>> not recognize it and serve an appropriate version.
>>
>> I read the newspaper on both my Win7 computer and my iPad. Whatever
>> Apple uses, the newspaper recognizes it and shows the newspaper pages
>> very well on the iPad. When I read the paper on my Win7 computer in
>> Firefox, the page insists on activating Flash--and I find reading the
>> paper in Firefox with Flash is clunky.
>>

> It might be useful to know that the smaller screens smartphones have a
> higher pixel count density (and smaller pixels) than does a computer
> monitor.
>
> The expected result would be much cleaner and clearer characters of the
> same font.
>
> Carl

The iPad isn't a smartphone; it's a tablet. The screen is indeed smaller
than the one on my Win7 laptop, but it's not just the clarity of the
characters. I find it much easier to navigate the newspaper on the iPad
and to click on and read individual articles without a lot of garbage on
the page. Flash in Firefox just doesn't work that well.

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/19/2017 9:21 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2017-03-19 21:17, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>>>

>>> Some websites require either Flash or HTML5, but (bad page design?) will
>>> insist on Flash if it is present (seems much better to prefer HTML5).
>>> However, you can set an exception to block flash on that page.
>>>

>> Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doing
>> it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
>> company requires Flash on the W7 computer.
>
> You can block Flash and select HTML5 only if the website itself offers
> that option. Youtube does, for example. IIRC, Youtube has indicated that
> it's moving to HTML5 only, but is keeping Flash until the bulk of
> devices no longer use it. That will take quite a while, since most users
> keep their devices for 5 years or more, if my sample
> (friends'n'relations) is typical.
>
> Have a good day,

How can I tell if the website offers HTML5?

--
Jo-Anne
0
On 3/19/2017 11:52 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:

>> As far as I know, you have to subscribe to the newspaper to be able to
>> read it online as if it were the print edition--page for page. I get a
>> daily link in an email; I assume the newspaper is opening in Safari on
>> the iPad, since I don't have Firefox installed on it.
>
> Without a URL, the best advice I can give to set Flash to never
> activate. That will make websites think you don't have Flash installed,
> and serve you an HTML5 version instead.
>
> 1. Click on the menu button [=], then click on the Add-ons icon to open
> the Add-ons manager.
> 2. Select the Plugins panel.
> 3. Beside Flash, click on "Ask to Activate" and set it to "Never Activate".
>
> If you ever come across a site that actually requires Flash, you can
> just reactivate it temporarily.

Thank you, Chris! I set Flash to "Never Activate" and got the following
message on the newspaper's webpage: "To view this digital edition you
will need to have the latest version of Flash installed. To install
Flash, please visit http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/." So I guess the
answer is that this site requires Flash and won't use HTML5 if Flash
isn't available.

--
Jo-Anne
0
"Wolf K." <wolfmac@sympatico.ca> Wrote in message:

> If you're reading it on the iPad, you're using an "app", which links to
> a website optimised for display on the iPad. That app is not a browser,
> that is, you can't access any other website with it.

Jo-Anne /might/ be using the newspaper'sapp but she says she's
 using a browser, which will be Safari unless she's installed
 another one. Sometimes an app hi-jacks a web URL, though, so what
 you expect to open in a browser opens in an app. Flickr can do
 that I think.

On Android I have the Guardian's app but prefer to use Firefox and
 the website because it's faster than the app, possibly because I
 can block adverts. The app is good for offline use.

There may be an addon that will help - there are quite a few in
 this area. Maybe one will generate a 'flash not installed'
 response to the website.

Otherwise, what I would try is getting rid of flash completely and
 seeing if it will serve HTML5. If not try spoofing Safari on iOS
 as suggested. Chrome has flash built-in I think so maybe use that
 when you really need it.

The situation is improving. I used to get this 'needs flash'
 problem on Android when it was first dropped.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
Dave
3/20/2017 10:01:28 AM
On 3/20/2017 1:49 AM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 3/19/2017 9:21 PM, Wolf K. wrote:

>>> Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doing
>>> it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
>>> company requires Flash on the W7 computer.
>>
>> You can block Flash and select HTML5 only if the website itself offers
>> that option. Youtube does, for example. IIRC, Youtube has indicated that
>> it's moving to HTML5 only, but is keeping Flash until the bulk of
>> devices no longer use it. That will take quite a while, since most users
>> keep their devices for 5 years or more, if my sample
>> (friends'n'relations) is typical.
>>
>> Have a good day,
>>

> How can I tell if the website offers HTML5?

html5 is the browser language.

Here is an aged experience I had back before the web pages were
converted to smartphone friendly.

WRAL-TV, the leading CBS station in this capital city at the time,
triggered my ire from their weather page. Their animated (last Hr)
weather map always prompted for Flash.

I fired a note at their HELP about it.  I got a response from their IT
support. It explained that they were waiting on formal standards as to
what extensions were the Standard.

I responded with the limited knowledge I had regarding "what are other
sites using" and pointed them to Webkit.

Three days later their page was fixed.

Carl
0
Kingdaddy
3/20/2017 11:37:02 AM
On 03/19/2017 08:17 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:

[snip]

> Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doing
> it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
> company requires Flash on the W7 computer.

Right-click on a blank area of the page, and select "View Page Info". Go
to the 'Permissions' tab and you should see the option near the top.

If that doesn't work, Select "Add ons" from the 'Tools' menu, select
'Plugins' and to the right of "Shockwave Flash" there will be a select
box. Select "Never Activate".

If it works, the first method is preferable, since it allows exceptions.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the
understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than
reason." -- Immanuel Kant
0
Mark
3/20/2017 12:02:21 PM
On 2017-03-20 01:49, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 3/19/2017 9:21 PM, Wolf K. wrote:

>>> Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doi=
ng
>>> it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
>>> company requires Flash on the W7 computer.
>>
>> You can block Flash and select HTML5 only if the website itself offers=

>> that option. Youtube does, for example. IIRC, Youtube has indicated th=
at
>> it's moving to HTML5 only, but is keeping Flash until the bulk of
>> devices no longer use it. That will take quite a while, since most use=
rs
>> keep their devices for 5 years or more, if my sample
>> (friends'n'relations) is typical.
>>
>> Have a good day,
>>

> How can I tell if the website offers HTML5?

See Chris Ilias's post.

--=20
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"What good is it having lower taxes when you can=E2=80=99t drink the wate=
r?=E2=80=9D

0
Wolf
3/20/2017 1:52:25 PM
Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 3/18/2017 4:19 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
>> Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> Wrote in message:
>>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>>
>> I've had this problem, on Linux, but not found a universal
>>   solution. I've not tried on Win.
>>
>> You could try removing Flash from the machine altogether, with
>>   Add/delete programs (if that's what Win 7 had). There are two
>>   programs installed - one for IE - called ActiveX - and one for
>>   Firefox - called NPAPI. Of course you wouldn't be able to use it
>>   on other sites that need it. And it's not guaranteed to work
>>   either - it depends on the website choosing to serve HTML5 video
>>   instead when it fails to detect flash support. It might just say
>>   'needs flash' - bloody irritating when you know it can serve
>>   HTML5 on iOS.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>

> Thank you, Dave! I'm reluctant to remove Flash entirely, since some
> other websites require it. I do have it ask to activate each time, though.

What happens if you give that site a fake user-agent telling it that
Firefox is actually Safari on an iPad?  You could use User Agent
Switcher and fill in the information about the browser on the iPad into
a fake.  A site that can give you that user-agent information is
http://dev.jeffersonscher.com/jstest.asp

0
EE
3/20/2017 9:19:27 PM
Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 3/18/2017 1:14 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On 03/17/2017 07:01 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> Lately I've been reading my daily newspaper online. On my Windows 7
>>> computer, the newspaper opens in Firefox, where I'm told to activate
>>> Flash. Is there any way I can read the newspaper in Firefox without
>>> using Flash? There's no Flash on my iPad, and the newspaper is much
>>> easier to read and to navigate on the iPad.
>>>

>> Some websites require either Flash or HTML5, but (bad page design?) will
>> insist on Flash if it is present (seems much better to prefer HTML5).
>> However, you can set an exception to block flash on that page.
>>

> Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doing
> it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
> company requires Flash on the W7 computer.

Whuch browser do you use on your iPad?
0
JAS
3/21/2017 1:15:03 AM
On 2017-03-20 21:15, JAS wrote:
> Jo-Anne wrote:
[...]
>> Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doin=
>> it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
>> company requires Flash on the W7 computer.
>>
> Whuch browser do you use on your iPad?

The iPad comes with Safari. However, if OP is using an app to read the=20
newspaper, there's almost certainly no browser involved, it's a direct=20
connection.

Rambling comments:
Apps do connect to a webpage, but usually without a browser. A browser=20
is in essence a "front end" for the process, plus features that make=20
web-navigation etc easier. There was a time when the only way to connect =

to remote servers was via command-line typing, lots of it. There was no=20
world-wide-web, just a bunch of private networks at first operating over =

the DARPA network, private networks running over available phone lines,=20
an eventually over the extensions to DARPA built and operated by the=20
telcoms. My earliest exposure was via a friend who could connect to his=20
university's network. My earliest email service was subscribers-only=20
over the Bell Canada network.

The earliest attempts to simplify the process were protocols like=20
Kermit. These worked only when client (your computer) and server (remote =

computer) followed the same rules. Now all publicly accessible web-pages =

follow the same rules, so any browser that conforms to the rules will=20
connect and display their contents. But there are lots of web-pages that =

you can't see with ordinary browsers. See the Wikipedia article on=20
darknet. One discussion of the "dark web" stated that most of the=20
Internet is dark.

HTH

--=20
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"What good is it having lower taxes when you can=E2=80=99t drink the wate=
r?=E2=80=9D

0
Wolf
3/21/2017 2:47:46 AM
Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2017-03-20 21:15, JAS wrote:
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
> [...]
>>> Thank you! How would I block Flash on just that page? I could try doing
>>> it to see if HTML5 would then work. If not, I'd guess the newspaper
>>> company requires Flash on the W7 computer.
>>>
>> Whuch browser do you use on your iPad?
>
> The iPad comes with Safari. However, if OP is using an app to read the
> newspaper, there's almost certainly no browser involved, it's a direct
> connection.
>
> Rambling comments:
> Apps do connect to a webpage, but usually without a browser. A browser
> is in essence a "front end" for the process, plus features that make
> web-navigation etc easier. There was a time when the only way to connect
> to remote servers was via command-line typing, lots of it. There was no
> world-wide-web, just a bunch of private networks at first operating over
> the DARPA network, private networks running over available phone lines,
> an eventually over the extensions to DARPA built and operated by the
> telcoms. My earliest exposure was via a friend who could connect to his
> university's network. My earliest email service was subscribers-only
> over the Bell Canada network.
>
> The earliest attempts to simplify the process were protocols like
> Kermit. These worked only when client (your computer) and server (remote
> computer) followed the same rules. Now all publicly accessible web-pages
> follow the same rules, so any browser that conforms to the rules will
> connect and display their contents. But there are lots of web-pages that
> you can't see with ordinary browsers. See the Wikipedia article on
> darknet. One discussion of the "dark web" stated that most of the
> Internet is dark.
>
> HTH

Something iSpring or Puffin or Photon
0