Annoyingly narrow vertical scroll bar as of at least Firefox 53.x on Linux

Greetings,

The vertical scroll bar seems to have gotten extremely narrow as of Firefox 53.x. I am right now running FF 53.0.3 via UbuntuZilla repository.

I have not been able to find a Xubuntu theme way to override the undesirable vertical scroll bar. Mozilla SeaMonkey continues to have a reasonable vertical scroll bar.

Did the Firefox developers go off and insist on having their new scroll bar for recent version of Firefox that we cannot overwrite via themeing it back to the former style?

I am thankful,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

On 06/16/2017 02:50 PM, Michael Lueck wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The vertical scroll bar seems to have gotten extremely narrow as of
> Firefox 53.x. I am right now running FF 53.0.3 via UbuntuZilla repository.
>
> I have not been able to find a Xubuntu theme way to override the
> undesirable vertical scroll bar. Mozilla SeaMonkey continues to have a
> reasonable vertical scroll bar.
>
> Did the Firefox developers go off and insist on having their new scroll
> bar for recent version of Firefox that we cannot overwrite via themeing
> it back to the former style?
>
> I am thankful,

I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64bit and the scroll bar seems to be
typical of other items in Linux.

0
Big
6/16/2017 8:48:51 PM
Big Al wrote:
> I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64bit and the scroll bar seems to be typical of other items in Linux.

Hopefully these pictures will be worth 1000 words:

"ExampleOfNormalScrollBarsWithSeaMonkey2.46.png"
https://dc736.4shared.com/img/uVOPvfflei/s23/15cb626dbf8/ExampleOfNormalScrollBarsWithS

"ExampleOfOddScrollBarsWithFirefox54.png"
https://dc736.4shared.com/img/w8GBzNbSca/s24/15cb626dfe0/ExampleOfOddScrollBarsWithFire

I am suspecting that Firefox is choosing now to customize the scroll bar controls, as SeaMonkey still looks the same.

(BTW: Upgraded to official FF 54.0 via UbuntuZilla this morning.)

Suggestions?

I am thankful,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/
0
Michael
6/17/2017 1:09:32 PM
On 6/17/17 9:09 AM, Michael Lueck wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64bit and the scroll bar seems to
>> be typical of other items in Linux.
>

> Hopefully these pictures will be worth 1000 words:
>
> "ExampleOfNormalScrollBarsWithSeaMonkey2.46.png"
> https://dc736.4shared.com/img/uVOPvfflei/s23/15cb626dbf8/ExampleOfNormalScrollBarsWithS
>

> "ExampleOfOddScrollBarsWithFirefox54.png"
> https://dc736.4shared.com/img/w8GBzNbSca/s24/15cb626dfe0/ExampleOfOddScrollBarsWithFire
>

> I am suspecting that Firefox is choosing now to customize the scroll bar
> controls, as SeaMonkey still looks the same.
>
> (BTW: Upgraded to official FF 54.0 via UbuntuZilla this morning.)
>
> Suggestions?
>
> I am thankful,

Try a different operating system theme.

The scroll bar thickens when I switch from Ambiance to High Contrast.

Also thickens when I go to use it using the Ambiance theme.

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

WaltS48 wrote:
> Try a different operating system theme.
>
> The scroll bar thickens when I switch from Ambiance to High Contrast.
>
> Also thickens when I go to use it using the Ambiance theme.

Also noting, now that I have tried several, that in Firefox gone are the arrow buttons at either end of the scroll bar. In SeaMonkey the arrow buttons are still there. I had not noticed that detail
before.

I tried several themes. Switching to the Raleigh theme gets the scroll bar about closest to the scroll bar appearance in SeaMonkey. I guess I will stick to that theme for the moment.

Any suggestions how to get the scroll bar arrow buttons to reappear in Firefox, same as in SeaMonkey?

I am thankful,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/
0
Michael
6/19/2017 3:54:56 PM
On 6/19/17 11:54 AM, Michael Lueck wrote:
> Greetings Walt,
>
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> Try a different operating system theme.
>>
>> The scroll bar thickens when I switch from Ambiance to High Contrast.
>>
>> Also thickens when I go to use it using the Ambiance theme.
>

> Also noting, now that I have tried several, that in Firefox gone are the
> arrow buttons at either end of the scroll bar. In SeaMonkey the arrow
> buttons are still there. I had not noticed that detail before.
>
> I tried several themes. Switching to the Raleigh theme gets the scroll
> bar about closest to the scroll bar appearance in SeaMonkey. I guess I
> will stick to that theme for the moment.
>
> Any suggestions how to get the scroll bar arrow buttons to reappear in
> Firefox, same as in SeaMonkey?
>
> I am thankful,

Nope. Not an issue for me.

I switch between using the Page Up, Page Down keys or scroll bar.

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/19/2017 4:23:59 PM
On 6/19/17 at 11:54 AM, Michael Lueck's prodigious digits fired off with
great aplomb:
> Greetings Walt,
>
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> Try a different operating system theme.
>>
>> The scroll bar thickens when I switch from Ambiance to High Contrast.
>>
>> Also thickens when I go to use it using the Ambiance theme.
>

> Also noting, now that I have tried several, that in Firefox gone are the
> arrow buttons at either end of the scroll bar. In SeaMonkey the arrow
> buttons are still there. I had not noticed that detail before.
>
> I tried several themes. Switching to the Raleigh theme gets the scroll
> bar about closest to the scroll bar appearance in SeaMonkey. I guess I
> will stick to that theme for the moment.
>
> Any suggestions how to get the scroll bar arrow buttons to reappear in
> Firefox, same as in SeaMonkey?
>
> I am thankful,

Have you tried Safe Mode?  If no problem then it's the theme.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Michael Lueck wrote:
> Any suggestions how to get the scroll bar arrow buttons to reappear in Firefox, same as in SeaMonkey?

Strange... I am still using the Raleigh theme... the arrow buttons at both ends of the vertical scroll bar in Firefox have mysteriously reappeared.

Looking more normal for now.

Gremlins.

I am thankful,