An End User's Request

As a non-technical end user of Firefox for many years, I believe that I
speak for many other users of this browser when I say that one of the
most important reasons for using FF has been the ability to customize
the browser with the features provided by a large variety of add-ons and
extensions.  Some of these additional features substantially augment the
utility and security of FF when compared to other browsers, such as
several add-ons that preclude opening FF without first entering a
password.

As of today, the developer of one of these password protection add-ons
does not anticipate ever providing a functional version compatible with
FF57 and another developer indicates and documents that the mozilla
development team does not seem able to be able to provide important
feedback and/or approval in the time frame required to enable
availability of the updated utility by the FF57 roll-out date.

My focus on password protected add-ons is only one example of the huge
number of add-ons and extensions that will no longer be available, for
various reasons, when FF57 rolls out.  I know we have the option of
staying with an earlier ESR version, but my understanding is that by
doing so, we leave ourselves with a more vulnerable browser and that
vulnerability will probably increase as other browsers continue to close
security holes that come to their developer's attention.  It seems that
one of the primary advantages of FF over the competition will be lost
for many FF users for an indefinite length of time .

Can any consideration be given to delaying the roll-out of FF57 until
such time as many more "legacy" add-on developers are able to be
supported by the mozilla development team?  I am probably not the only
long time FF user who has already begun investigating other browsers and
will seriously consider changing my default browser if FF57 is launched
as what functionally will be crippleware for many of us.
0
Peter
10/6/2017 1:02:29 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23866 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 10/6/17 9:02 AM, Peter wrote:
> Can any consideration be given to delaying the roll-out of FF57 until
> such time as many more "legacy" add-on developers are able to be
> supported by the mozilla development team?  I am probably not the only
> long time FF user who has already begun investigating other browsers and
> will seriously consider changing my default browser if FF57 is launched
> as what functionally will be crippleware for many of us.

Instead of investigating other browsers (which only use web extensions,
Firefox is late to the party) you can investigate the extensions in this
list of 8,894 extensions compatible with Firefox 57.

Most should work in Firefox 56. I have them installed in mine.

--
Go Steelers, Pitt and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
On 2017-10-06 09:02, Peter wrote:
> As a non-technical end user of Firefox for many years, I believe that I
> speak for many other users of this browser when I say that one of the
> most important reasons for using FF has been the ability to customize
> the browser with the features provided by a large variety of add-ons and
> extensions.� Some of these additional features substantially augment the
> utility and security of FF when compared to other browsers, such as
> several add-ons that preclude opening FF without first entering a password.
>
> As of today, the developer of one of these password protection add-ons
> does not anticipate ever providing a functional version compatible with
> FF57 and another developer indicates and documents that the mozilla
> development team does not seem able to be able to provide important
> feedback and/or approval in the time frame required to enable
> availability of the updated utility by the FF57 roll-out date.
>
> My focus on password protected add-ons is only one example of the huge
> number of add-ons and extensions that will no longer be available, for
> various reasons, when FF57 rolls out.� I know we have the option of
> staying with an earlier ESR version, but my understanding is that by
> doing so, we leave ourselves with a more vulnerable browser and that
> vulnerability will probably increase as other browsers continue to close
> security holes that come to their developer's attention.� It seems that
> one of the primary advantages of FF over the competition will be lost
> for many FF users for an indefinite length of time .
>
> Can any consideration be given to delaying the roll-out of FF57 until
> such time as many more "legacy" add-on developers are able to be
> supported by the mozilla development team?� I am probably not the only
> long time FF user who has already begun investigating other browsers and
> will seriously consider changing my default browser if FF57 is launched
> as what functionally will be crippleware for many of us.

All valid points, but this is not a forum where users and developers
interact. It's a place where users help users. So while I second your
request, it's unlikely that it will be read by anyone with
decision-making authority.

In the meantime, protect yourself with at least three anti-malware
programs. Look for a good real-time shield (I use Vipre, but there are
many others), and scan with the other programs about once a week or so
to catch anything your primary shield misses.

Good luck,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 09:02:29 -0400, Peter <pkent@netzero.com> wrote:

>As a non-technical end user of Firefox for many years, I believe that I
>speak for many other users of this browser when I say that one of the
>most important reasons for using FF has been the ability to customize
>the browser with the features provided by a large variety of add-ons and
>extensions.  Some of these additional features substantially augment the
>utility and security of FF when compared to other browsers, such as
>several add-ons that preclude opening FF without first entering a
>password.
>
>As of today, the developer of one of these password protection add-ons
>does not anticipate ever providing a functional version compatible with
>FF57 and another developer indicates and documents that the mozilla
>development team does not seem able to be able to provide important
>feedback and/or approval in the time frame required to enable
>availability of the updated utility by the FF57 roll-out date.
>
>My focus on password protected add-ons is only one example of the huge
>number of add-ons and extensions that will no longer be available, for
>various reasons, when FF57 rolls out.  I know we have the option of
>staying with an earlier ESR version, but my understanding is that by
>doing so, we leave ourselves with a more vulnerable browser and that
>vulnerability will probably increase as other browsers continue to close
>security holes that come to their developer's attention.  It seems that
>one of the primary advantages of FF over the competition will be lost
>for many FF users for an indefinite length of time .
>
>Can any consideration be given to delaying the roll-out of FF57 until
>such time as many more "legacy" add-on developers are able to be
>supported by the mozilla development team?  I am probably not the only
>long time FF user who has already begun investigating other browsers and
>will seriously consider changing my default browser if FF57 is launched
>as what functionally will be crippleware for many of us.

Another reason I moved to Chrome even with the spying that Google
collects. Doubt there are enough people on Earth to go over anything.

KenW
0
KenW
10/6/2017 1:52:43 PM
Peter wrote:
> As a non-technical end user of Firefox for many years, I believe that I speak for many
> other users of this browser when I say that one of the most important reasons for using FF
> has been the ability to customize the browser with the features provided by a large
> variety of add-ons and extensions.  Some of these additional features substantially
> augment the utility and security of FF when compared to other browsers, such as several
> add-ons that preclude opening FF without first entering a password.
>
> As of today, the developer of one of these password protection add-ons does not anticipate
> ever providing a functional version compatible with FF57 and another developer indicates
> and documents that the mozilla development team does not seem able to be able to provide
> important feedback and/or approval in the time frame required to enable availability of
> the updated utility by the FF57 roll-out date.
>
> My focus on password protected add-ons is only one example of the huge number of add-ons
> and extensions that will no longer be available, for various reasons, when FF57 rolls
> out.  I know we have the option of staying with an earlier ESR version, but my
> understanding is that by doing so, we leave ourselves with a more vulnerable browser and
> that vulnerability will probably increase as other browsers continue to close security
> holes that come to their developer's attention.  It seems that one of the primary
> advantages of FF over the competition will be lost for many FF users for an indefinite
> length of time .
>
> Can any consideration be given to delaying the roll-out of FF57 until such time as many
> more "legacy" add-on developers are able to be supported by the mozilla development team?
> I am probably not the only long time FF user who has already begun investigating other
> browsers and will seriously consider changing my default browser if FF57 is launched as
> what functionally will be crippleware for many of us.

A lot depends on the user.  I run FF 27.0 on the company laptops with popup blocker,
ad blocker, MSIE anti-virus, and a very old version of Zone Alarm free firewall.
I spend about one to two weeks per month in airports and hotels in North America
and have never been hacked, virused, etc.
That is not to say I won't be hacked later today but it's unlikely.
My friends that run the latest and greatest of everything and click on
every little green pop up that says "Click Me" constantly get infected.
I just cleaned my neighbors w10 machine of ~130 viruses and ~3,700 infected files.
FF 57 won't save them.  I give them about one day and the key loggers will
be getting their bank info, again.

0
Paul
10/6/2017 6:00:05 PM
On 10/6/17 8:00 PM, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> [...]
>> FF57 is launched as
>> what functionally will be crippleware for many of us.
>
> A lot depends on the user.� I run FF 27.0 on the company laptops with
> popup blocker,
> ad blocker, MSIE anti-virus, and a very old version of Zone Alarm free
> firewall.
> I spend about one to two weeks per month in airports and hotels in North
> America
> and have never been hacked, virused, etc.
> That is not to say I won't be hacked later today but it's unlikely.
> My friends that run the latest and greatest of everything and click on
> every little green pop up that says "Click Me" constantly get infected.
> I just cleaned my neighbors w10 machine of ~130 viruses and ~3,700
> infected files.
> FF 57 won't save them.� I give them about one day and the key loggers will

And what exactly would you gain by running a stone age version of
Firefox? Sounds like a pretty silly idea to me.
I do run the latest release version, and I'm testing betas. That works
well for me. No infections.
0
Christian
10/6/2017 6:17:03 PM
On 10/6/17 3:02 PM, Peter wrote:
> I know we have the option of
> staying with an earlier ESR version, but my understanding is that by
> doing so, we leave ourselves with a more vulnerable browser and that
> vulnerability will probably increase as other browsers continue to close
> security holes that come to their developer's attention.

Your understanding is wrong. The current ESR version will receive
security updates until May 2018.
0
Christian
10/6/2017 6:25:46 PM
Dne 06/10/2017 v 15:02 Peter napsal(a):
> ...... I know we have the option of
> staying with an earlier ESR version, but my understanding is that by
> doing so, we leave ourselves with a more vulnerable browser and that
> vulnerability will probably increase as other browsers continue to
> close security holes that come to their developer's attention.

While the FF ESR does not receive new features,
it does receive security updates and bug fixes
about 2 months after the next ESR is released.

So, concerning security aspects,
one has time until end of June 2018
to other wait for web extension addon versions
or to search for addon alternatives,
or to consider other decisions.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
0
Poutnik
10/6/2017 7:29:42 PM
Dne 06/10/2017 v 15:02 Peter napsal(a):
> ...... I know we have the option of
> staying with an earlier ESR version, but my understanding is that by
> doing so, we leave ourselves with a more vulnerable browser and that
> vulnerability will probably increase as other browsers continue to close
> security holes that come to their developer's attention.

While the FF ESR does not receive new features,
it does receive security updates and bug fixes
about 2 months after the next ESR is released.

So, concerning security aspects,
one has time until end of June 2018
to other wait for web extension addon versions
or to search for addon alternatives,
or to consider other decisions.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
0
Poutnik
10/6/2017 7:36:07 PM
On 10/6/17 9:02 AM, Peter wrote:
> Can any consideration be given to delaying the roll-out of FF57 until
> such time as many more "legacy" add-on developers are able to be
> supported by the mozilla development team?  I am probably not the only
> long time FF user who has already begun investigating other browsers and
> will seriously consider changing my default browser if FF57 is launched
> as what functionally will be crippleware for many of us.

Sorry, I forgot the link and so late responding. Computer glitches.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=&appver=57.0>

and <https://mozilla.github.io/extension-finder/>
0
WaltS48